Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2020, 04:40 AM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Ten Worse Brake Pictures

You have to wonder about some of the drivers:

http://www.safebraking.com/top-10-bad-brake-images/
Old 03-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ten Worse Brake Pictures

I did a job on an old farmers Hilux years ago where the pads were completely gone,and the pistons had a fair bit worn.The solid disc was worn to about 3 mm.I asked if he had heard the metal to metal and he said,well I did hear a bit of noise but thought it was just a stick caught up and rubbing on something.The only reason he decided something was wrong was when the brakes stopped working, because the pistons came so far out of the calipers they started leaking and he ran out of brakes
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I had a friend buy a used car in the 70's and when we went to replace the brake pads we found the previous owner had used shaped pieces of jarrah wood to replace the pads. They sort of worked OK but it answered the question of why the car took a while to stop and there was smoke and burning smells coming from the front wheels. Googling it suggests it was perhaps not so uncommon for dodgy sellers and even dealers.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Way back in 1972 I bought a Valiant VE station wagon from a major dealer. It was sans engine. I put my hot 225 slant six in it and it screamed. It seemed to stop pretty well too. Discovered later on that it had no rear brakes. The drums were there but nothing else. Oddly enough after we gave it some rears it didn't seem to stop any better.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Had a sticking piston recently on the FG.
Doesn't take long for the pad to wear diagonally.
But you really notice the lack of braking performance though as it's really only using half the braking force .... plus the shuddering is bad enough as well.
Mechan1k is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Way back in 1972 I bought a Valiant VE station wagon from a major dealer. It was sans engine. I put my hot 225 slant six in it and it screamed. It seemed to stop pretty well too. Discovered later on that it had no rear brakes. The drums were there but nothing else. Oddly enough after we gave it some rears it didn't seem to stop any better.
Actually I had a similiar experience with another customer car,which also happened to be either a VE or VF Val wagon,but with this one the drum had worn to the point where the face of the drum and the drum part were separate,so the brakes were all there,but didn’t do any thing on that wheel
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well they wouldn't wear out then.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #8
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are right LG17, guaranteed million kms out of rear brake shoes
Old 03-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Love the pic of the disc calliper hanging from it's line under the rear.

The ol Kenworth has dry road and slippery road front brakes, basically front brake on front brakes off valve.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Actually I had a similiar experience with another customer car,which also happened to be either a VE or VF Val wagon,but with this one the drum had worn to the point where the face of the drum and the drum part were separate,so the brakes were all there,but didn’t do any thing on that wheel
Sounds like an old wog mechanic trick.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #11
jimbo51
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
The ol Kenworth has dry road and slippery road front brakes, basically front brake on front brakes off valve.

If it's working as designed it allows either 100% or 50% of applied air pressure
jimbo51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post