Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
ag71
Starter Motor

Default FPV GT or Mustang or XR8

Hi all I am potentially thinking of buying a 2012-2014 FPV GT or possibly a 2016/7 model Mustang or maybe a FGX XR8 , I see the stangs prices seems to drop a fair bit from what they were selling at, would the Falcon GT be a better investment maybe and hold its value a bit more as they don't make them anymore or were the GT's all hype and I should look at a later XR8 ?

What sort of a ballpark should I be looking at paying for say a 2012 FPV GT or a low mileage XR8 ?

Cheers,
ag71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Default Re: FPV GT or Mustang or XR8

Hi Mate, I have been in your exact predicament for the past year or more. I ended up with a 2012 FG MKII GT. No regrets on my decision so far.
There are numerous pros and cons for all 3.
I thought a 2 door car with 3 kids would be harder to live with, and would have wanted to supercharge it so mustang was outed but there are so many great and good priced examples around. Pros are a great NA engine, a huge aftermarket list, they are newer and have all the tech. They also drive better than the falcons.
Similar to above with a newer car for the XR8 but the front end and lack of big side skirts just didnt really catch me. But again such nice examples around most for around the 40K mark. Option of colours and gearboxes aplenty.
GT bit harder to find, limited colour and gearbox choices unless you pay high 40s and probably older and higher kms and all of the usual ford issues to go with it. But limited build no and no longer made.
Great to have a choice, i guess it depends on your situation.
PM me if you want more info.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag71 View Post
Hi all I am potentially thinking of buying a 2012-2014 FPV GT or possibly a 2016/7 model Mustang or maybe a FGX XR8 , I see the stangs prices seems to drop a fair bit from what they were selling at, would the Falcon GT be a better investment maybe and hold its value a bit more as they don't make them anymore or were the GT's all hype and I should look at a later XR8 ?

What sort of a ballpark should I be looking at paying for say a 2012 FPV GT or a low mileage XR8 ?

Cheers,
My suggestion is to consider the enjoyment of driving it and living with it first, not just from the investment point of view. You must enjoy your time with it. So drive both to help decide first what you want. And driving a ute could give better enjoyment than a sedan as well due to a better driving position (related to the floor pan). But no rear seats, and that rear Mustang seats have limited space. Depends on your requirements. Before thinking of prices.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
MercuryT
Banned

Personally Mustang easily.

Don't perform as should but look much better.

Both great choices, can't go wrong
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
Swordie

Check this thread out on the topic.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11472817
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #6
PaulXR50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there 2 or more people then def. GT or XR8, is also good for investment but that could take years.

If just yourself and another & don't care to much bout invest. value then go the Mustang.

I went from a '15 XR8 to 2019 GT Mustang no regrets the Mustang has it all over the xr8 feature wise, even the power you don't really miss the supercharger of the xr8, well i dont.

It takes bit of getting used to getting in n out of the Mustang.

The GT & XR8 is just old technology now & very basic, no offence to anyone, i loved my XR8 & have a lot of 1:18 GT's.

If you can stretch the money bit further get the 18 model with electronic dash.

If you want the 4dr then see if you can get the last year of the GT. But you have a tough choice to make.. good luck.
PaulXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
ag71
Starter Motor

Thanks all for the input, I can understand the pros and cons of all,
I was also considering an earlier GT maybe 2008-9 hopefully something with lower kms.
All depends whats around and the sort of money there asking ?

Not sure on the Mustangs lower driving position though ?

Last edited by ag71; 18-05-2020 at 11:25 AM.
ag71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #8
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

If your comparing an earlier FPV GT to the FG Xr8 or Mustangm id definately go FG or Stang.
Old 18-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag71 View Post

Not sure on the Mustangs lower driving position though ?
That's the best thing about the Mustang, makes you actually feel like you are driving the car. FG seating position is woeful, for me.

Drive both and decide for yourself, you are the one who will be buying the car, not us.

For me it's a no brainer, it'd be a Mustang, but i've driven both of the cars you've talked about a lot.
Old 18-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #10
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be the gt for me no doubt about it
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #11
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
That's the best thing about the Mustang, makes you actually feel like you are driving the car. FG seating position is woeful, for me.

Drive both and decide for yourself, you are the one who will be buying the car, not us.

For me it's a no brainer, it'd be a Mustang, but i've driven both of the cars you've talked about a lot.
I've never driven any of the 3 in OP so take your experience on board.

I loved my BA but one thing that always felt a tad weird as I felt I sat on top of it, rather than really in it. Strange feeling.

Not sure FG is better or worse in that way but only car I've ever had with that car underneath feeling (I have no idea why)
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post