Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should there be a National Drivers Licence?
Yes, I agree with a National Drivers Licence. 46 54.12%
No, leave it State Based, as it is. 34 40.00%
What, you guys have a license? 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #31
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Poll for National Drivers Licence.

Actually as WA has the least variation from the standard Australian road rules (see https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/...-different-st/ ) I think we should after all perhaps adopt a National Licence and manage it from WA .
Old 17-06-2020, 11:19 PM   #32
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
As long as we don’t have to do those odd hook turns or whatever they’re called down in Victoria...
.....and WA doesn't want any of those nasty Toll roads that so many eastern states have too.
Old 18-06-2020, 12:20 AM   #33
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
.....and WA doesn't want any of those nasty Toll roads that so many eastern states have too.

We can send all of them to Victoria...they go well with ‘indicate right but go left’ or whatever those things are.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 01:40 AM   #34
zilo
BANNED

state base is better..easier to scam out of demerit points...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 05:23 AM   #35
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
What license?

I'm all for standardisation of driving rules and national license.

As long as it's the VIC rules that go national

Geez you blokes are slow sometimes, we went to National Road Rules in 1999, that is 21 years ago - similar to what they try to do with WHS laws in 2011

There will never be a standardisation of road rules as there are different situations that impact various States, like for example, no-one else has the same tram infrastructure as Victoria so why would you impose those laws on other States and Territories and Victoria doesn't allow for triple road trains

There has been a National Heavy Vehicle drivers licence for years and years

All Police in all States have access to your driving history - the data is shared on a National data-base - so it is pointless have a 'national' licence as it is pretty much already in place
Old 18-06-2020, 05:26 AM   #36
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
W.A. has heavy vehicle fatigue laws but to the best of my knowledge drivers don't have to record their driving hours in a 'driver diary' like other States
Old 18-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Geez you blokes are slow sometimes, we went to National Road Rules in 1999, that is 21 years ago - similar to what they try to do with WHS laws in 2011

There will never be a standardisation of road rules as there are different situations that impact various States, like for example, no-one else has the same tram infrastructure as Victoria so why would you impose those laws on other States and Territories and Victoria doesn't allow for triple road trains

There has been a National Heavy Vehicle drivers licence for years and years

All Police in all States have access to your driving history - the data is shared on a National data-base - so it is pointless have a 'national' licence as it is pretty much already in place
If they're national then why do QLD drivers indicate out of roundabouts but VIC ones don't, how come you can throw U turns at lights here but not in NSW and some states have speed limits for P platers while others don't and everyone has different vehicle restrictions for P platers?

Oh and the only thing WHS harmonisation legislation did was they adopted the same name for the legislation but modified it to suit their own needs so while the name is the same the legislation is different from state to state.

Doesn't sound very 'national' to me?

Quote:
Today's paper has another example of how those in the east are out of touch with WA and have an overinflated view of their own importance:
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/paint...ng-b881580020z
VIC and NSW have carried WA for 150+ years so it's about time you started paying back your debt to us - VIC's economy makes up 23% of Australia's GDP and WA does 14%.

Now your GST is due so make sure it's in our account by the end of the month

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-06-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #38
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

For your perusal......

https://www.ntc.gov.au/laws-and-regu...20and%20others.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 08:31 AM   #39
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If they're national then why do QLD drivers indicate out of roundabouts but VIC ones don't
check your road law, been in Victoria since 1999, in fact all States do

Quote:
how come you can throw U turns at lights here but not in NSW
I did say States have variations or are you just being pedantic?

Quote:
and some states have speed limits for P platers while others don't and everyone has different vehicle restrictions for P platers?
as above, and it is important to note that that drivers must follow the laws of the State in which they are driving, so a NSW L Plater can do 110 km/h on some Victorian roads where that limit applies

Quote:
Oh and the only thing WHS harmonisation legislation did was they adopted the same name for the legislation but modified it to suit their own needs so while the name is the same the legislation is different from state to state.

Doesn't sound very 'national' to me?
as per the Road Law - thanks for clarifying

Quote:
VIC and NSW have carried WA for 150+ years so it's about time you started paying back your debt to us - VIC's economy makes up 23% of Australia's GDP and WA does 14%.

Now your GST is due so make sure it's in our account by the end of the month
no comment

For us Victorians, the move to National Road Rules started when we had to change from the old 'left goes last' when turning at intersections, then the introduction of the double yellow lines and 'bricks' around trams - then we transitioned in 1999 - keep up mate
Old 18-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #40
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
that stuff was my bread and butter for over 20 years when I worked as a post licence heavy vehicle driver trainer, now OHS/WHS is my bread and butter
Old 18-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #41
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Not true at all. So stop repeating this bull**** claim.

As I said before:
Quote:
noting unlike other states, we were a separate colony (New Holland) until federation and not part of NSW. Western Australia gained the right of self-government from the UK in 1890, and stupidly perhaps joined with the five other states to form the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901.
so how do you get 150 years as we only been part of Australia for less than 120 years?

Quote:
Oh and it was only in 1942 that the Commonwealth took over the collection of income tax and disbursement of Commonwealth revenue to the states. The graphs in this very biased eastern state's view of the world are still telling https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-...-alone/6393196
so no where near 150 years; they have only been collecting tax and distributing revenue to states for 88 years.

Note also https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...australia.html
Quote:
The 2014/2015 GSP here was $276.312 billion, placing it in the top 4 strongest state economies. This is so large, that if Western Australia were an independent nation, it would be within the top 50 economies of the world. The per capita GSP here averages $98,012, the highest in the country.

Last edited by aussiblue; 18-06-2020 at 10:14 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #42
zilo
BANNED

If I carelessly read 0.05 BAC in some states I get massive demerit points but not lose my license....only at 0.08 BAC

hard to find but here it is...

https://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rul...-and-penalties

Contrast that to victoria....

also some states make it an offence for ANY passenger to be consuming alcohol in a car.....

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)

Last edited by zilo; 18-06-2020 at 12:48 PM. Reason: found it...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #43
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
If I carelessly read 0.05 BAC in some states I get massive demerit points but not lose my license....only at 0.08 BAC

https://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rul...losing-licence

Which if you follow the link i posted above and a few more clicks takes you straight to the link you posted....

.....nice edit by the way

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #44
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
how come you can throw U turns at lights here but not in NSW
Being a new south Welshmen I'm interested in knowing if you can do a U turn at traffic lights if there is no road on the right so no right hand turn lane?

I had some mouth breather with QLD plates stop at a green traffic light in the right hand 'straight ahead' lane in a 70 zone to do a u turn around a median strip. There was a lot of heavy braking behind but luckily everyone was on the ball and watching ahead.

I can't see how that would be legal in any state.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #45
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I love the stupid NSW law that states, if you have your vehicle in NSW longer than 3 months it has to be registered in NSW.
They won't recognize a PO box as an address while travelling.
They don't make any allowances for people who live on the road or grey nomads.

Here are two little gems FYI.... If you have a Victorian licence it is twice as expensive to hire a car in NSW. wtf.
and if you have a NSW licence/ Vic address, buy a NSW car, its easy to transfer rego into your name, use up the rego then simply transfer it to Victorian rego without jumping through hoops.

One reason why I have a NSW licence and register all my vehicles in Victoria.

Bring on a national licence and while they are at it bring on a national transport travel card.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post