Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #31
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: i30 diesel starting issue ...

M10 is the thread major diameter. I’d go with the recommendation of the plug maker for torquing, but favouring the lighter end of the scale .

I strongly suggest nickel anti-seize (Loctite brand, at Supercrap, Repco etc) or Würth CU800 lightly applied on the thread and sealing interface.

CU800 is a trade product that everyone should have, it’s the most durable anti-seize under conditions of water exposure, solvent washout, doesn’t run with heat. If you can’t get it easily chase down the local rep and they’ll order a 100ml bottle.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #32
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
It took me 40 minutes this morning to remove the four glow plugs. I started at 8:08 AM and got the 4th one out by 8:48 AM.

Yesterday I reconnected everything that I had removed on Saturday, because I wanted to drive the car this morning (which I did) to warm the engine up before I tried to remove the plugs.

From 8:08 AM: I removed one nut holding a wire connector, one electrical clip, one bolt, the four nuts holding the aluminium rail and the rail itself. Then I removed the plugs. Initially there was resistance but then I could hear and feel the first bit of 'give'. I had a steel pipe ready to use on the socket handle but that wasn't necessary.

One of the removed plugs shows some pitting and another shows a bit less pitting.

I will wait until the engine has cooled to fit the new plugs. On another forum someone suggested tightening them to 8 Nm. He seemed to know what he was talking about and had possibly done the job himself. The new NGK glow plug boxes say this: M10: 15~20N.m (Probably a stupid question but what's the "M10" referring to?)

And I guess I should not put any lube on the new glow plug threads?
M10 is the thread size.Metric 10mm
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #33
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you're on the right track with it mate.

Last edited by ozpacman; 24-11-2020 at 08:15 PM.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #34
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I strongly suggest nickel anti-seize (Loctite brand, at Supercrap, Repco etc) or Würth CU800 lightly applied on the thread and sealing interface.
+1 on the anti-seize!
Old 26-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #35
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I installed the new glow plugs today, put the few other bits and pieces back together, started it a couple of times and it sounds healthy straight away, no rough-running. As Tassie f100 said, it will probably be good for another 200,000 ks ...

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #36
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done mate - and no doubt very personally satisfying to have done it yourself. They're great little cars. My '08 now has 203000 on the clock so I'm guessing this may be a job in my future.