Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #31
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: i30 diesel starting issue ...

M10 is the thread major diameter. I’d go with the recommendation of the plug maker for torquing, but favouring the lighter end of the scale .

I strongly suggest nickel anti-seize (Loctite brand, at Supercrap, Repco etc) or Würth CU800 lightly applied on the thread and sealing interface.

CU800 is a trade product that everyone should have, it’s the most durable anti-seize under conditions of water exposure, solvent washout, doesn’t run with heat. If you can’t get it easily chase down the local rep and they’ll order a 100ml bottle.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #32
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
It took me 40 minutes this morning to remove the four glow plugs. I started at 8:08 AM and got the 4th one out by 8:48 AM.

Yesterday I reconnected everything that I had removed on Saturday, because I wanted to drive the car this morning (which I did) to warm the engine up before I tried to remove the plugs.

From 8:08 AM: I removed one nut holding a wire connector, one electrical clip, one bolt, the four nuts holding the aluminium rail and the rail itself. Then I removed the plugs. Initially there was resistance but then I could hear and feel the first bit of 'give'. I had a steel pipe ready to use on the socket handle but that wasn't necessary.

One of the removed plugs shows some pitting and another shows a bit less pitting.

I will wait until the engine has cooled to fit the new plugs. On another forum someone suggested tightening them to 8 Nm. He seemed to know what he was talking about and had possibly done the job himself. The new NGK glow plug boxes say this: M10: 15~20N.m (Probably a stupid question but what's the "M10" referring to?)

And I guess I should not put any lube on the new glow plug threads?
M10 is the thread size.Metric 10mm
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #33
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you're on the right track with it mate.

Last edited by ozpacman; 24-11-2020 at 08:15 PM.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #34
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I strongly suggest nickel anti-seize (Loctite brand, at Supercrap, Repco etc) or Würth CU800 lightly applied on the thread and sealing interface.
+1 on the anti-seize!
Old 26-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #35
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I installed the new glow plugs today, put the few other bits and pieces back together, started it a couple of times and it sounds healthy straight away, no rough-running. As Tassie f100 said, it will probably be good for another 200,000 ks ...

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #36
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done mate - and no doubt very personally satisfying to have done it yourself. They're great little cars. My '08 now has 203000 on the clock so I'm guessing this may be a job in my future.