Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #91
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Default Re: Ford exports 100 Territory's to Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
You dont have to be invloved with the *** end of manufacturing to cream off the benefits. The accountant sitting in the office getting paid $120,000 doesnt need to go lift a spanner in the work area, GM or Ford dont need to be involved with making hinges / bolts to cream $10,000 a car at the end. And in the same way australia doesnt need to be involved with car manufacturing to enjoy the benefits of low cost car manufacturing. If you can tell me a few people on the BRW rich list who still work in the *** end of the company that made them rich, then you may have a point. But employment doesnt create wealth, alot of employment is used to make others wealthy (and you can earn more money but still get poorer if those around you are getting richer quicker), getting cars made cheaply overseas is one of them.
Take a chill pill Baby...............

Reread my sarcasm again.

My point about unemployment here is more about your Tax dollars having to pay for people that had a job, now no longer having one as the Goven. had knifed in the back with a stupid policy.

Australia doesn't need to be involved in manufacturing?? Well not until these poor nations decide that they're being ripped off and demand more coin for the work they are doing. Then we'll have to pay again the setup these manufacturing factories here in Aus, but guess what, we've lost decades of experience and knowledge, so we have to import the expertise... at a cost of course..

In the end, i was being sarcastic in my original post. It's just ****-poor how we treat people living in our own country.
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #92
BroadyFord

Sales success for Ford’s Thai-bound Territory

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257AC9001BCF11

3 December 2012
By HAITHAM RAZAGUI in Bangkok
THE first 50 of 100 Australian-made Ford Territory SUVs exported to Thailand in June to test the waters for export have been sold.

Buoyed by the initial take-up, Ford Australia is keen to put more Territorys on a ship to Thailand next year, but will monitor its progress to gauge whether there is long-term promise for the vehicle there.

Ford sells a single variant of the Territory in Thailand, the top-spec Titanium TDCi with V6 a turbo-diesel engine.

It is priced at the equivalent of $94,000 in Thailand, compared with $62,740 plus on-road costs in Australia.

The $30,000 price difference is courtesy of steep taxes on cars in the Kingdom and comes despite the presence of a free-trade agreement with Australia because they are ‘non-tariff duties’.

A local Ford representative at this week’s Bangkok Motor Expo – aimed at getting deals done on the show stand – told GoAuto at least one Territory had found a home on the event’s opening day.

He did not expect Ford to sell out of Territorys by the end of this year, but anticipated the car’s success would result in another shipment from Australia some time in 2013.

Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps confirmed that around 50 Territorys had been sold in Thailand to date, which she regarded as “absolutely” a success considering the shipment only docked there in late July.

“It is very much a premium niche vehicle over there and some of those sold were pre-orders from the original Bangkok motor show in April,” she said.

Ms Phipps said a decision on whether to export more Territorys to Thailand would not be made until the New Year.

“Once they sell the others we will certainly be keen to (send another shipment) but we just have to make sure there is enough of a market there for us.”

A quick comparison of the Territory’s price tag with other vehicles at the show revealed it costs about the same as smaller luxury SUVs such as the Audi Q3 and BMW X1.

The German compact SUVs are priced between $44,800 and $57,800 in Australia, significantly less expensive than the Thai-equivalent Territory Titanium’s local price.

Nevertheless, GoAuto observed the Territory to be one of the busier exhibits on Ford’s stand at the expo, with mainly older male show-goers making enquiries and most asking to look at the 2.7-litre diesel engine under the bonnet.

Ford Australia’s venerable 4.0-litre straight-six petrol is not available on the Thai-bound Territory because the government there imposes a 60 per cent registration penalty on cars with engines larger than 3.0 litres, which is reduced to 50 per cent for engines over 2.0 litres.

Also on Ford’s stand was the rugged Everest SUV, which is built in Thailand and based on the previous-generation Ranger one-tonne ute.

Ford Australia, which designed and engineered the current-generation PX series Ranger, is working on a follow-up to the Everest but the Thai Ford representative said that vehicle is still two years away.

He said he expected the replacement will retain the Everest nameplate, at least in Thailand.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #93
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is a great result, I hope it leads to more deal & more models heading O/S!! Just image how well they would sell if we have a real FTA!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #94
stang65
FPRJET

Excellent news.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #95
Buntz
Straight Eight

Ummm... EcoBoost Falcon next? Take that registration penalty!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #96
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
[SIZE="4"]

The $30,000 price difference is courtesy of steep taxes on cars in the Kingdom and comes despite the presence of a free-trade agreement with Australia because they are ‘non-tariff duties’.
Why we do not start a war over this is beyond me, they flood our market with cars and computer parts, and we get stung sending our stuff the other way. No one would pull a stunt like this on America, so why us?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #97
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I normally refrain from telling people how stupid they are but you are the king of morons. A war based on car pricing! get real
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32 View Post
Why we do not start a war over this is beyond me, they flood our market with cars and computer parts, and we get stung sending our stuff the other way. No one would pull a stunt like this on America, so why us?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #98
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
I normally refrain from telling people how stupid they are but you are the king of morons. A war based on car pricing! get real
ummm....

Quote:
Senator J. William Fulbright, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and Democratic Senator from Arkansas, a chief U.S. poultry-producing state, interrupted a NATO debate on nuclear armament to protest trade sanctions on U.S. chicken,[3] going so far as to threaten cutting U.S. troops in NATO. Konrad Adenauer later reported that he and President John F. Kennedy had a great deal of correspondence over a period of two years, about Berlin, Laos, the Bay of Pigs Invasion, "and I guess that about half of it has been about chickens.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #99
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

doesn't make it sane, proposing a war over matters like this are not the act of an intelligent or mentally stable person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
ummm....

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #100
Buntz
Straight Eight

Australian Pollies will take care of themselves first, even at the expense of the nation.

Maybe we should move on, or just talk about how we can overcome them? Like EcoBoost Territory?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #101
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If sales in Thailand are good then why not start selling them in other asian countries.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #102
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If sales in Thailand are good then why not start selling them in other asian countries.
Ford sell that ugly Explorer in Japan. What other RHD countries are there?

Maybe India?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #103
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
Seriously? You really wan't to go down this path. I will admit sarcasm is hard to detect in print form however your insult was certainly not required and I would appreciate it if you were to refrain from doing so in the future.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #104
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
Ummm... EcoBoost Falcon next? Take that registration penalty!
According to Wikipedia the 2L Ecoboost is 1999 cc, so under the 2L limit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine).

I wonder if coming under 2 litres was a development requirement or just a fluke that it wasn't 2001 cc thereby over the 2L limit. Not just for Thailand but as a global market approach for the engine.
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #105
in shock
Starter Motor

The Territory (on Paper) has got it all to make it An Enthusiasts Dream Machine with total world wide sales
in shock is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #106
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
Ford sell that ugly Explorer in Japan. What other RHD countries are there?

Maybe India?
Malaysia. Plenty of cashed up people over there. X5, Cayenne, Landcruiser, Prado, Challenger, Pajero are common sight over there in terms of SUV's, including many more exotic cars. They have a similar road tax structure to thailand, so small capacity motors are much more affordable. The Territory always gets compliments from my relatives when they are visiting on holidays. Ford don't seem to pay much attention at all to the region for some reason, only the Ford Focus and Ranger are a common sight over there, apart from the odd beaten up 90s Ford Telstar or Laser tottering around. I've heard rumours that Ford XK/XL Falcons and Holden Kingswoods once roamed the streets of Malaysia in the 60s, but have not seen one in my travels around Malaysia.

Last edited by malazn mafia; 20-05-2013 at 06:11 PM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2021, 02:34 AM   #107
MarmiteTheDog

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but this was of interest to me as I have just bought one of that first batch of Territories sent to Thailand with 138,000km on the clock.

I think there might have been a second shipment sent over in 2013, as I have seen SZ models selling as 2015s, which they are obviously not.

Thailand is basically a closed market with 3 tiers of cars; those manufactured here, those assembled from kits, and those imported. To most Thais only rich people buy from the second 2 categories, which means the range of vehicles generally available is limited and terribly dull. All come with pretty small engines (the Ford 2L bi-turbo diesel is a Godsend!) and are often compromised compared with the export versions. The current Everest is easily the most premium vehicle manufactured here.

There are upmarket German brands assembled here, but as they are sent over in kits, they still cost way too much. Most decent stuff is imported and extortionately priced.

My recent car search included XC90s, Subaru Foresters, Kia Sorrentos (a superb car, but the one we drove had too many issues), VW Touregs (I wasn't brave enough in the end), alongside 'local' cars such as the old Everest and Escape (which was made in Vietnam).

The Territory was the clear winner, even though Ford Thailand will class it as a foreign car and try to avoid having anything to do with it - the upcoming 165,000km cam belt change will be fun...

2020 Kawasaki Z900RS SE
2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
1998 VFR800

MarmiteTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2021, 04:09 AM   #108
MarmiteTheDog

I've tried to find more information regarding the Territories exported to Thailand, and it looks like only 100 ever made it here. There are a couple of others for sale, but I have never seen another one on the roads here.
I have booked the 'big service' in with my local Ford service centre. Apparently the parts are shipped up from Ford's stores on a palaquin as it takes six weeks to get them in! I'm just happy they're available.
We're just got back from a 10-day trip and the car is great apart from being handicapped by the auto transmission. A 6-speed manual from the Ranger would've been a massive improvement (which would never have come to Thailand as they can't post on Facebook and drive a manual at the same time).

2020 Kawasaki Z900RS SE
1998 VFR800

Old 05-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #109
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarmiteTheDog View Post
the car is great apart from being handicapped by the auto transmission. A 6-speed manual from the Ranger would've been a massive improvement.
Hi,
None of the Territories came with Manual.

Not sure if Range Rover with the same TDV6 would have been available with manual. (Doubt it). Perhaps some of the Jaguars with the same engine could have been manual (and RWD layout). When this engine sits in PSA vehicles it sits transversely, with front wheel drive, so can't use that transmission

The 6R80 auto trans should be fairly modern, trouble free, and reliable. Do you have problems with it?

If yours is an AWD, the transfer case with its 'Torque on Demand' clutch is notorious for shuddering, and running as RWD more than it should. Some posts on here to modify the control signal to the clutch for more aggressive offroading.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #110
MarmiteTheDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Hi,
None of the Territories came with Manual.

Not sure if Range Rover with the same TDV6 would have been available with manual. (Doubt it). Perhaps some of the Jaguars with the same engine could have been manual (and RWD layout). When this engine sits in PSA vehicles it sits transversely, with front wheel drive, so can't use that transmission

The 6R80 auto trans should be fairly modern, trouble free, and reliable. Do you have problems with it?

If yours is an AWD, the transfer case with its 'Torque on Demand' clutch is notorious for shuddering, and running as RWD more than it should. Some posts on here to modify the control signal to the clutch for more aggressive offroading.

Cheers,

Hi Happy,

Yes, it was a shame Ford never offered this with a manual - it's just wishful thinking on my part. All autos (except dual-clutch) feel like I'm dragging a boat anchor around behind me as they suck the life out of the engine. I use 'performance' mode a lot, unless I'm cruising, then I flip it back into 'normal' mode.

I don't have any mechanical issues with the transmission, just the fact automatics are inherently crap. I always have to buy base model vehicles nowadays because that's all I can get with a proper gearbox.

When the engine eventually decides to die (hopefully in the far future) I'll look into wasting way to much money on transplanting a 3.2 or 2.0 Bi-turbo with proper 4WD running gear into it (in Thailand anything's possible!). That should provide a whole multitude of headaches, but I'll still have to put up with an auto slushbox (although it seems the 10-speed is much better than the Territory's 6-speed).

2020 Kawasaki Z900RS SE
1998 VFR800

Old 06-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #111
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarmiteTheDog View Post
Hi Happy,

Yes, it was a shame Ford never offered this with a manual - it's just wishful thinking on my part. All autos (except dual-clutch) feel like I'm dragging a boat anchor around behind me as they suck the life out of the engine. I use 'performance' mode a lot, unless I'm cruising, then I flip it back into 'normal' mode.

I don't have any mechanical issues with the transmission, just the fact automatics are inherently crap. I always have to buy base model vehicles nowadays because that's all I can get with a proper gearbox.

When the engine eventually decides to die (hopefully in the far future) I'll look into wasting way to much money on transplanting a 3.2 or 2.0 Bi-turbo with proper 4WD running gear into it (in Thailand anything's possible!). That should provide a whole multitude of headaches, but I'll still have to put up with an auto slushbox (although it seems the 10-speed is much better than the Territory's 6-speed).
The 6R80 is not like the slushboxs of old, it should engage each gear firmly.
with your wish list above I would have considered the 1st gen Fortuner, which we didnt get in Australia. it has all the options you want plus much better looking than the 2nd gen IMO, and surely theres more to pick from
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #112
MarmiteTheDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
The 6R80 is not like the slushboxs of old, it should engage each gear firmly.
with your wish list above I would have considered the 1st gen Fortuner, which we didnt get in Australia. it has all the options you want plus much better looking than the 2nd gen IMO, and surely theres more to pick from

The transmission is fine for an auto - I just hate autos! The car is supposedly for the missus for when we need a 'GT', but it looks like she's hired me as a chauffeur.

There are very few Fortuners available for what I paid for the Territory. Thais think Toyotas are on par with Mercs. Personally, I wouldn't have a Toyota if you paid me - they make cars for people who don't like cars.

2020 Kawasaki Z900RS SE
1998 VFR800

2 users like this post: