Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Default is the AU trans much better than an EF??

to cut a long story short, Im going to (gladly) take a (big) hammer to my existing transmission on my AU.

after this im going to need to put in another one in order to drive!

The cost of an AU 4spd auto is $300 more than the EF one, the belhousing from mine has to go onto the EF one for it to fit and a couple of bolts dont go in which is no big drama and the EF has a dipsick to let me check the trans fluid levels which the AU obviously doesnt have.

Other than this, what is different, will my car be any worse off for it putting the EF trans in??? if so why, and does any differences in the AU trans justify an extra $300???

thanx a heap in advance if anyone is able to provide some insight.

robbo_yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Man ...I feel for you.Today I am stuck at home because of a leaky AU transmission.It is a big inconvenience. Having owned ea , eb and now AU ford I can honestly say that ford cant build auto boxes . At least with the EF you will get a dipstick. I cant even fill my box at the moment and may need a tow to the mechanic tommorow. My brother owns a BA ford and his box was blown at 20,000 km. Good luck.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too feel the pain.. My trans in the ute is ed.. Just today I was told I need to put a new one in..

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Bugger...threads like this make me cringe, knowing that this could happen to mine at any time, is there a trans that would suit the AU that is superior?
ps: sorry to jack your thread robbo.
:sm_headba
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Man ...I feel for you.Today I am stuck at home because of a leaky AU transmission.It is a big inconvenience. Having owned ea , eb and now AU ford I can honestly say that ford cant build auto boxes . At least with the EF you will get a dipstick. I cant even fill my box at the moment and may need a tow to the mechanic tommorow. My brother owns a BA ford and his box was blown at 20,000 km. Good luck.
That's bad luck, but Ford don't build the transmissions. BTR do.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the only major difference I can think of off the top of my head is the variable S5 shift solenoid in the AU

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #7
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Screw it, Ive made up my mind, Just gonna do a manual conversion and a engine upgrade to the xr6 VCT......
If anyone knows where I can get it done cheaper than $3000 thats the best price i got so far so I would be eternaly greatful.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Cant help you with the full conversion, but I run an EB trans in my AU - no dramas.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
That's bad luck, but Ford don't build the transmissions. BTR do.
I see what you are saying mate.But BTR dont manufacture that box either.There is another company who builds them for btr.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 08-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I see what you are saying mate.But BTR dont manufacture that box either. There is another company who builds them for btr.
Well there ya go. I didn't know that. But either way, it's not Ford, just a supplier.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #11
Stav
Smile

Do you think we can bolt a torqueflight gearbox? Or american quickshift ford box on?

Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #12
xr8ute
Back on the road

I dont honestly think it is that bad a gearbox. I have abused the crap out of mine, and it is hanging in there after 200,000km's.

Some simple rules need to be followed here though,

- Change the fluid every 50,000kms
- Install a big trans-cooler
- Use an electronic shiftkit (at least) if you are going to race it

The lack of a dipstick is a pain in the ar$e, but its no excuse for not checking and changing the fluid. HINT: use an oil pump/gun, and the fill plug on side of the case.

They can be built stronger, just look at all the 12 second auto XR8 BA's, and even quicker XR6T's.

The biggest downside to them is there tall first gear (yuk!).

Stav, who build the autos for BTR/ION?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #13
08XR8

BTR`s Lavington plant was sold to ION Automotive Systems,it went into recievership.A new company was formed to aquire the Lavington plant it is Drivetrain systems International.DSI is still making four speed autos for ford and ssangyong and a limited number of manuals.
08XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven shaft
BTR`s Lavington plant was sold to ION Automotive Systems,it went into recievership.A new company was formed to aquire the Lavington plant it is Drivetrain systems International.DSI is still making four speed autos for ford and ssangyong and a limited number of manuals.
My 2001 AU SR Sedan, bought in December 05 was an ION Automotive car. Funny thing, the auto isn't as 100% smooth as I'd like! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Well mine has to be changed!! It is more to repair then replace with a second hand unit. $770 BIG ONES. ..Or 1200 recoed.What can I say? Maybe Mr Kooky was right to get the wrx!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Mines done 170,000 of good hard towing and is still strong as an ox. If you fit a cooler change fluid regulary and fit it with a shift kit who knows how long it'll last. For the dough you cant get a better box imo
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

I had a huge cooler and it was serviced fanatically.I also had a shift kit. The problem is that several months ago my rear main seal blew.The shaking of the tail shaft has caused premature wearing inside the gearbox..hence oil out of my breather at the top. Goes to show you that you never know your luck.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #18
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Touch wood!!!!
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i did a flush and filter change recently, i didnt use a pump, i bought a couple of meters of clear hose stuck 1 end in the fill hole (side of the box), then got a funnel from the 2$ shop stuck it in the hose and taped it up, then taped it to the drivers door mirror then just filled it up from there ,very easy just fill till it runs out, gravity is much easier than a hand pump.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #20
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
I had a huge cooler and it was serviced fanatically.I also had a shift kit. The problem is that several months ago my rear main seal blew.The shaking of the tail shaft has caused premature wearing inside the gearbox..hence oil out of my breather at the top. Goes to show you that you never know your luck.
Thats exactly what happened to mine! oh well, it'll be a manual when I get it back friday so wont get that problem again!~
Old 09-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #21
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
Thats exactly what happened to mine! oh well, it'll be a manual when I get it back friday so wont get that problem again!~
Dammit how much is the manual conversion? I have done on before many years ago. An extra 10rwkws for the price of the conversion should be good.I love the autio though.Daily traffics a bit... here in sydney.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #22
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
Dammit how much is the manual conversion? I have done on before many years ago. An extra 10rwkws for the price of the conversion should be good.I love the autio though.Daily traffics a bit... here in sydney.
Its costing me $3000 in total for the conversion plus an upgrade to the VCT engine. (much better than $2500 for a reconed auto not installed!)

I think the conversion on its own was going to cost me $1750. prices were all over the shop depending on who I spoke to, these guys were the cheapest, but prices went as high as $4200 all up for just the conversion!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Mine is slowly on the way out ... I am trying to keep it all together though so i can statr saving for a rebult "stronger" box. I will be staying auto though ... Sydney traffic and courier work do not go well with manual.

I run a large cooler now .. and it seems to be helping the box a bit more ... and I change my fluid/filter/seal every 10,000-15,000km ... jsut to be on the safe side ... plus the fluid is usually burnt by then anyway.

Heavy towing and load carrying in a frantic stop/start environment like Sydney destroys any auto quickly.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #24
Stav
Smile

Well the wrecker stuck the box in,gave it a service,new filter oil and threw in a clean carpet for my back boot. They told me that driving in power mode all of the time destroys the box much quicker due to unneccesary revving.Also the big killer is jet like takeoffs which I have been guilty of.So easy driving useless from now on and limited shift kit usage.It seems that the savage sideways chirps may contributr to breaking things...but gee it was fun.I will have to reserve the shift kit for track only.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am finding that treating the gearbox nicely has kinda prolonged it's life a little bit more .... and it tends to play nice when not being savage on it. Still can feel the heat through the trans tunnel when loaded up though ... and pushing it through traffic as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post