Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #31
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

If its AWD, then I might wake up.....But if they stick with FWD, then I'll just stay asleep!
They'll need a bloody good car to compete seriously with FPV and HSV.

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #32
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
If FPV don’t lift their game with the V8 models than they might be in trouble. 1:45’s at Winton from a 5.4 litre 290kw RWD is nothing to brag about.

FPV won Motor Mags comparison from the HSV Senator and the Chrysler SRT, it was won becsause they said it was the best overall car !!!!!

I personally dont give two F's who is quicker around Winton ! Interseting that you believe that FPV's sales results hinge on who is quicker around Winton :
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #33
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

AWD isn't just a rumour, it will be happening
Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #34
GT-E

Toyota are a BORING car company, TRD may enhance the image a bit, but I would not think that FPV or HSV are awake at night forumlating plans to combat the supercharged granny mobile.
Can anyone say Torque steer ?

I wonder if we will see NISMO (Nissan) and MUGDEN (Honda) here to spice up the after market options for new cars.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #35
zetec
Zoom Zoom

If NISsan MOtorsport is NISMO, then what's HOnda MOtorsport? :jab:
Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #36
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
And the Aussies do it almost as quick, half the price and driving through only 2 wheels...
And thats why their cars are unreliable and built like a heap of s**t.

Everyone laughs at Toyota but I for one envy what they're capable of. Think of the immortal corolla, what the GT4 and especially the Supra achieved. There are highly modified Supra's running a reliable 900rwhp on a stock box and bottom end, they also have the renowned silver top and black top 20 valve engines capable of spinning to 9,000rpm with very few mods - again on a stock bottom end...this is what engineering is about and the sign of a company who doesn't do things by halves.

We've got an 87 Corolla CSX we use as a shopping trolley and its been constantly pinging for the past 3 years, covered 160,000km on the same timing belt and gets absolutely thrashed day in/day out hot/cold and it refuses to die. (I've been trying to make this thing go 'pop' to free up some engine bay real estate for a 20v silver top : )

Don't kid yourselves people... Toyota has the knowledge, wealth, reputation and engineering expertise to build much better, and much more reliable cars than both Ford and Holden ever could.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #37
YuGoStaR
Long Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
Don't kid yourselves people... Toyota has the knowledge, wealth, reputation and engineering expertise to build much better, and much more reliable cars than both Ford and Holden ever could.
No one should be doubting that. The question is...will they bother bringing it to the measly Australian market ?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #38
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
High power Front Wheel Drive !!!!!! Threat to HSV/FPV i dont think so !!!
I remember a FWD NA V6 from Mitsubishi showing up a Ford RWD V8 in almost every aspect (including speed) not to long ago... Dusted up the HSV 6cyl at the same time to.

Granted, these days unless your RWD or AWD the power outputs are to high to compete with, but they might bring a supprise when you least expect it.

I doubt it, but we'll see...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #39
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79XD351.4v
does TRD stand for turd

:hihi: Just what I was thinking!!!! Seriously, they need something like the good 'ol Supra back.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #40
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
I personally dont give two F's who is quicker around Winton ! Interseting that you believe that FPV's sales results hinge on who is quicker around Winton :
I never said that sales results hinge on laptimes - although Subaru seem to. If something that is older, FWD, half the engine capacity, half the power output and quicker around some tracks (and not that much slower at the "power" tracks with R-spec tyres) doesn't that mean that there is something fishy or lacking about the expensive "performance" sedan?

I'd rather have quicker lap times than quarter mile times - horses for courses, your opinion is different to mine.

Maybe Ford needs to rethink their V8 or develop a "super" Typhoon (more than 290kw) to sit above the GT-P?

I wish Ford well with FPV (not that their success depends on it one way or the other) but I don't think that the top of their range shows what they are really capable of doing.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 11-05-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 03:29 PM   #41
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I wouldn't dicount Toyota's ability. When the current Corolla first come out, 100kw from a 1.8L hatch was unheard of (even if it's been detuned for Euro III). Then there's The Celica motor which puts out about 141kw and is also a 1.8. That motor is now being put to good use in the Lotus Elise.

Toyota themselves seem to build products to sell cars rather than cater to the enthusiast and don't the results show? Biggest selling manufacturer here, soon to be in the States and one of - if not the - richest car companies. The point of TRD though, is to cater to the enthusiast so good luck to them.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #42
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

At the end of the day, toyota sells more cars than anyone else - to discredit their designs as boring granny mobiles is irrelevant - because it would appear there are more boring grannys in the country than there are performance biased buyers.

Lol @ criticising a 380 horsepower GT falcon. What do people want?? 350kw? 400kw? Only to complain that the new 400kw falcon is too expensive (or build quality is poor - one or the other)
Old 11-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
And who's to really say they wont?

It's not really a fair statement to say that they cant - they have had some pretty ballsy cars in the past.
And they have all been for Japan only. We never got any of the good ones here bar maybe the GT4, which I think was close to $80,000, or something ridiculous like that. It was no suprise they struggled to sell 100 of them.

Toyota has no chance of producing something to compete with FPV or HSV, no one who buys either would even look at an Toyota. Its more of a competitor to the XR6T but it will be slower and more expensive. If the prototype Sportivo Camry TS01 is any guide it will sell for at least 50k, and it will most likely be FWD.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #44
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

no one looks at toyota simply because they dont have anything to offer.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #45
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
I never said that sales results hinge on laptimes - although Subaru seem to. If something that is older, FWD, half the engine capacity, half the power output and quicker around some tracks (and not that much slower at the "power" tracks with R-spec tyres) doesn't that mean that there is something fishy or lacking about the expensive "performance" sedan?
or the fact that the sedan isnt build as a winton racer, they are family sedans with all the comfort for daly driving, with added power, braking and handling capabilitys.
I know i would rather have a nice car to drive around in day to day driving, which is also quite quick, and also contributing to the australian aconomy at the same time, then have a tinny little car with seats that are hard as a rock and seriously uncomfortable to drive for long periods and just plain impracticle to drive on the road (which is 99% of the time is where you drive), just to be able to bragg that my car is fast around winton
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #46
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

My car is a daily driver (over 100,000kms) although it won’t tow a caravan. It’s not impractical, does the grocery runs and all of the usual stuff. I don’t know how it will go at 300,000kms, I probably won’t own it then.

My point in posting wasn't to bragg (sic) but to point out that FWD sometimes isn’t a liability with performance cars if it is done right.

FPV is capable of better than the FPV GT, just as HSV is capable of building something better than their Clubsport. Just because it has a Ford badge on the nose and a V8 under the bonnet doesn’t mean that a car shouldn’t be open to fair criticism.

P.S. Mugen is now called Mugen Power (I think that it was known as M-power briefly – about the time that they did the K20 Jazz conversion).

P.P.S. I wonder if Toyota will get Yamaha to do the cylinder heads on the hot versions like they normally do?
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #47
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey read the article! TRD even said they are even looking at the Hilux. They drive through the rears. Imagine one of them with a blown 4, 6 or even the up-coming 4UZ-FE, which is suppose to be coming out in the new Supra in Japan. Maybe they could just import them?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #48
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just hope FOA and Holden do not take the attitude some have displayed in this thread. Toyota want to be number 1 everywhere and they won't stop until they are.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #49
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
I just hope FOA and Holden do not take the attitude some have displayed in this thread. Toyota want to be number 1 everywhere and they won't stop until they are.
About 4th go lucky when it comes to performance cars in Oz....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 08:09 PM   #50
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
And thats why their cars are unreliable and built like a heap of s**t.

Everyone laughs at Toyota but I for one envy what they're capable of. Think of the immortal corolla, what the GT4 and especially the Supra achieved. There are highly modified Supra's running a reliable 900rwhp on a stock box and bottom end, they also have the renowned silver top and black top 20 valve engines capable of spinning to 9,000rpm with very few mods - again on a stock bottom end...this is what engineering is about and the sign of a company who doesn't do things by halves.

We've got an 87 Corolla CSX we use as a shopping trolley and its been constantly pinging for the past 3 years, covered 160,000km on the same timing belt and gets absolutely thrashed day in/day out hot/cold and it refuses to die. (I've been trying to make this thing go 'pop' to free up some engine bay real estate for a 20v silver top : )

Do yourself a favour - sell that Falcon of yours so that we don't have to listen to you ing about Australian made cars.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #51
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Do yourself a favour - sell that Falcon of yours so that we don't have to listen to you ing about Australian made cars.

FF
Believe me.. if i wasn't so attached to the damn thing it would've been gone long ago. I love the thing so it'll just have to continue being a big money pit
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #52
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Believe me.. if i wasn't so attached to the damn thing it would've been gone long ago. I love the thing so it'll just have to continue being a big money pit
It is just an inanimate object. You'll get over it. Start saving money for that Audi you lust after.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post