Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-05-2006, 01:32 AM   #1
lokets
Starter Motor

Question Cost of service & maintenance

The Australia Best Cars review rate Fez as the top (or nearly so for 2005) car overall in the past few years. Let's discount Getz which became the top mostly because of price & warranty, but we know better.

Anyway, ABC review also said Fez gains significant good points for parts and servicing costs. I know that Fez service interval is 15,000 km, which is some 50% better than most Japanese cars (I'm comparing with say Honda Jazz), this is good.

However, I like to know what parts get serviced/replaced at what interval and what cost for such parts? As an example, for Jazz, oil replaced every 10k km, $27 per 5L, oil filter every 20k km $18, fuel filter every 40k km $40 (ouch!), air filter every 40k km $50 (ouch, ouch!), no timing belt replacement (engine uses timing chain, aha!), auto-trans oil every 60k km $50, 8 x plugs every 40k km $30+, ABS fluid every 10k km $dunno, coolant every 200k km $dunno, etc.

What I'm trying to work out is for say up to 200k km travel, what sort of servicing cost & parts I would be faced with. Does the service booklet also say any major bits/parts that need adjustment/replacement at higher travel interval?

Can Fez owner share some figures/thoughts on this please?

lokets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Hey Dude.

Im pretty confident the list of parts/service made at each interval is in the Fez Booket but obviously they dont reveal the price.

This has been my experience so far:

3000kms - Complimentry - They just check fluids, check tyres, etc possibly reflash the ECU if need be.

4000kms - Under Warrenty - Faulty coolent resevoir cap

15000kms - $340 - Replace fluids, rotated tyres, fixed a couple sqweeks, tighened the handbrake cable. No change of air filter (been running a k&N pod setup ever since, which is usally re oiled every 20000kms)

24000kms - $120 - Not under Warrenty - Spark plugs where fried. Ford would have put some No Frills quality in there that would only last less then some NGK ones.

Im on about 26000kms at the moment and the car is in need of a service. Brakes are too soft, needs a ECU reflash, wheels need to be balanced and rotated, Oil and coolant needs to be flushed. The car was only driven about 500kms in 3 months (lost licence) and i think it took its toll on the fez.

I have also noticed for some reason my car is drinking way to much fuel and i dont understand why. Hopefully Ford will determine the problem asap. Im talking like under 400kms per tank. Maybe its the Mods? :
Old 23-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey Mista Fiesta - I also had the same issue... mine was drinking a lot for a 1.6L. I put that down to the way I drove...

But, since you and I have had our Fiestas stationery for 3 months... maybe there is another reason.

As for the 15,000kms service, I believe mine was $260. Only ever had a water pump fail and release coolant everywhere. All was fixed.

Apart from that my Fiesta was the best 1.6L money could buy!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fiesta is VERY sensitive to how you drive it with regards to petrol. In WOT they run extremly rich for a standard car. I did a quick test once and driving normally I will get about 50km for each fuel reading bar but when having a spirited drive this drops to 20km if im lucky (Which means about 200km from a a tank).

Mine has never had any problems at all. And only gone if for regular service which cost me $150 both times.

Great reliable car.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I was chatting to Mitch, and he too has noticed a drop in fuel economy. We both have very similar mods but obvious the auto drinks a bit more than stick yet our cars get under 400kms per tank. I agree its the way you drive it. i think i get about 40kms per bar but actually get more when im driving long distance with no stopping.
Old 23-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Im on about 26000kms at the moment and the car is in need of a service. Brakes are too soft, needs a ECU reflash, wheels need to be balanced and rotated, Oil and coolant needs to be flushed. The car was only driven about 500kms in 3 months (lost licence) and i think it took its toll on the fez.
just a question, how do you know your ECU needs a flash??

balancing wheels arent part of the service, that you have to go to a tyre shop for. rotating is easy enough by yourself if you want.
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
just a question, how do you know your ECU needs a flash??

balancing wheels arent part of the service, that you have to go to a tyre shop for. rotating is easy enough by yourself if you want.
Quite simple. Hunting for Idle, engine flatspots, decreased smoothness are all potential problems that could be solved by an ECU reflash. The Flash is required because problems that persist after the flash will be obviously stemming from a deeper cause, and then can be further investigated.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
kenneth_lks
Fiestata!!

I was shocked by those people who could get more than 500-600KMs per tank. My best experience was 450kms per tank..
kenneth_lks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Quite simple. Hunting for Idle, engine flatspots, decreased smoothness are all potential problems that could be solved by an ECU reflash. The Flash is required because problems that persist after the flash will be obviously stemming from a deeper cause, and then can be further investigated.
i guess what i meant to say is, how do you know that a new flash is available?
Old 23-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

you dont. ford dont release documentation of any flashes etc, technically you're not even supposed to know about TSB's.
Old 23-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #11
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

At the moment its running like a sack of poo. Last time i got the ecu reflashed the car just felt more lively and responsive. It may or maynot make any difference but i rather do it anyways. The car was only driven under 500kms in 3 months compared to driving 500kms per week. It has definitly made the car not feel right along with the alignment/balance of tyres. Once i get some dosh together ill get it all sorted and i guarentee you it will feel and drive much better than now.
Old 23-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #12
lokets
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Hey Mista Fiesta - I also had the same issue... mine was drinking a lot for a 1.6L. I put that down to the way I drove...

But, since you and I have had our Fiestas stationery for 3 months... maybe there is another reason.

As for the 15,000kms service, I believe mine was $260. Only ever had a water pump fail and release coolant everywhere. All was fixed.

Apart from that my Fiesta was the best 1.6L money could buy!
Mmm.. I'm surprised, if I read your post correctly, the Fez within 15K km already had a water pump failure, leading obviously to coolant spilling/draining. That is hideous!!! If that is correct, the Fez engine is not as reliable as I thought.

Added to that is what is said earlier about frying engine spark plugs, it doesn't sound too good. I am worried because in comparison a Honda Jazz for 3 years, now clocking over 90K km had only a minor EGR problem, even then it was fixed rather easily. In all fairness, not every Jazz is as good as this as there are several issues of early failure of bits & pieces too for Honda.

Why then would anyone say the Fez engine is "reliable"?
lokets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 12:14 AM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokets
Mmm.. I'm surprised, if I read your post correctly, the Fez within 15K km already had a water pump failure, leading obviously to coolant spilling/draining. That is hideous!!! If that is correct, the Fez engine is not as reliable as I thought.

Added to that is what is said earlier about frying engine spark plugs, it doesn't sound too good. I am worried because in comparison a Honda Jazz for 3 years, now clocking over 90K km had only a minor EGR problem, even then it was fixed rather easily. In all fairness, not every Jazz is as good as this as there are several issues of early failure of bits & pieces too for Honda.

Sorry, I sold the car with 28,000kms on it. Not sure when the Water Pump burst.

And, I put it down to negliect. Remember Springwood Rd everyone? Well... I headed there with a friend and spend a good 30mins doing laps of that 3km downhill/uphill sprint. Accidently my mate turned off the car at the top of the hill (I was half way down the hill with a camera). Hence.... the water pump wasn't able to cool the engine. That is what I think caused the failure. I didn't post it before, because I still owned the car. But yes, negligence on my behalf.

As for the Jazz, if you love it so much, do us a favour and get one. My family friend just paid $26,000 for a VTiS and I can't help myself but laugh. Sure, it is a CVT version.... but PLEASE. The engine has nothing over the Fiesta. The Fiesta engine had such a willingness to rev, and did it so smooth. Not only that, but it also handled WAY better. The steering has so much more feel. Oh, and the Fiesta doesn't look like an MPV.

I like Hondas, and see the merits in the Jazz. Great for the ladies, but I'd never own one.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 03:06 AM   #14
Danny
GT4.

Fiesta Doesn't look like a flying Nun either.
Old 24-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #15
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Your calling the engine unreliable becuase 1 water pump had a failure? Think of how many fiesta are one these forums and that the only issue we have ever had. Im sure if you sampled any car you will find problems.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #16
crispymk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokets

What I'm trying to work out is for say up to 200k km travel, what sort of servicing cost & parts I would be faced with. Does the service booklet also say any major bits/parts that need adjustment/replacement at higher travel interval?

Can Fez owner share some figures/thoughts on this please?

dunno about everyone else but i dont plan to have mine that long! I'll prbly upgrade after 2-3 years (wanna ST/Xr4 if they ever come)

at least it doesnt need to be serviced every 5000km and tuned every time you drive it like the race/rally spec engine in my cortina... now that starts to get expensive!
Old 24-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #17
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
you dont. ford dont release documentation of any flashes etc, technically you're not even supposed to know about TSB's.
my point exactly

could be the placebo effect though......

or maybe it was just because it got serviced? ;)
Old 24-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #18
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
could be the placebo effect though......
That's why I'm so Highly sceptical when ford tell me that they have reflashed the ECU...
Old 24-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #19
TheColonel

nah they do flash ecu's... my brother wanted to do mine as soon as i got the car, he works for a ford service dept here in bris...
TheColonel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post