Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #31
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
To anyone at Ford who bothers to read this thread, please, for the love of all things you hold dear, BUILD A @#)$(*@# EXCITING CONCEPT CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and not anything ugly like the mustang....
Old 03-03-2005, 09:19 PM   #32
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

As a concept it's way better than the different plastic bits on another tired platform that we have seen in the past. It would no doubt find itself a niche market of some sort and act as a bit of a halo car for the rest of the Focus range.

At least we are seeing something out of Ford at the motor shows - the two special packs on the XR8 might not be much but this concept and the luxo Ute show that someone is trying.

With Falcon sized passenger vehicles continuing their decline in total market share, Ford (and others) will have to look to their other models for growth in the future and on that basis this concept is welcome.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 12:18 AM   #33
WIKIDSTIX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

isnt that concept just the torana but a 2 door convertible...wtf
Old 04-03-2005, 12:30 AM   #34
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
some foreign word that roughly translates to "one who tests motor vehicles for ADR emmission compliance"
Well, among other things.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 08:54 AM   #35
HSE2

In terms of real world models Ford have a good record of converting concept to reality but the question is more about making the best of opportunities to showcase the company’s wares on centre stage. In some ways these sorts of events can be as damaging or beneficial to an image in the same way as motor sport can.

If a company is for example concerned about being perceived as a follower and not innovative these opportunities are provided to create doubt. Show casing such technologies as CVT from the 500 creates awareness in a brand that may or may not be common knowledge. Awareness of a diesel program from other markets another. The US GTs appearance is for the same reason. It’s not meant to provide any other purpose then to highlight what “we as a company can and do provide”

Speaking of another company now, a further example would be if said company were perceived as being clinically devoid of a sporting pulse, they could use such events to reveal a new direction to alter that perception. There is nearly equal proportion of product verses image. There are exceptions naturally. There is nothing wrong with the focus concept at all. It’s a segment that needs re enforcement so this does what it is designed to do.

Ford doesn’t appear to be as concerned about youth perception as they once were. While the passenger sedans might be in decline the performance sectors (not just here but globally) are still increasing.

If Ford has a new model to roll out it very much appears that dilution of the markets attention isn’t going to follow at the same time.

Personally if Ford were really concerned about some of the issue they claim to face, they have a funny way of showing it. In many ways they are at the forefront of future technology, be that in partnership with other corporations or by themselves. That isn’t a strong perception in this country. BA was all about refocusing on the Blue Oval badge. That is an extensive world to draw on, a huge playground on which to draw. Are Ford making the best of their opportunities to promote the company in general on these centre stages? When the spot light is on, are they doing enough? It’s a slightly different issue to simply rolling out the products, product that in most part don’t need a large lead in.

I would hope that the super Ute is in response to market studies that show not having a competitor to the HSV R8 version is costing them opportunities. It’s a cost effective business case that is employed in day to day (in theory) running of the organisation.
It also has a small target audience. In terms of attracting interest in ones company or product is it the sort of product you want show cased? As a business case it has been long established that FPVs concentration is on the volume models from the competition.
The word niche to the MMS line up is pretty accurate.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

Last edited by HSE2; 04-03-2005 at 12:07 PM.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #36
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Ladies and Gentlemen. Let me introduce the winner of the Inaugural FF.Com.Au Essay Competition - HSE2. :P

Only joking. Great post.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 09:31 AM   #37
HSE2

Ah that is nothing more then an introduction. In the Ford world there is a pretty clear winner in true essay writing in both grammar construction accuracy and more importantly interest.

I am too lazy these days.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #38
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Great post Ian.

You have summed up the situation that i believe is also the problem perfectly.

I know i didn't communicate my thoughts on this as comprehensively as you have done, i may have come across a little more frustrated and fed up, but ultimately this is exactly how i feel.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 06:59 PM   #39
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Great post Ian.

You have summed up the situation that i believe is also the problem perfectly.

I know i didn't communicate my thoughts on this as comprehensively as you have done, i may have come across a little more frustrated and fed up, but ultimately this is exactly how i feel.
Likewise from me! Top form Ian old mate, keep em coming :dj:

For mine, I have basically distilled it down to the lack of anything at domestic car shows from Ford AU which provokes genuine EXCITEMENT, not just PASSING INTEREST.

The Vignale certainly would get my passing interest, but it by no means gets me excited; this is the thing that Ford AU seriously needs to chase.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:23 PM   #40
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I've watched with interest for some years now the endless procession of ill considered or poorly presented Ford / Tickford / FTE / FPV displays at various events and been left puzzled.

There have been odd glimmers of hope that have led the less cynical to believe that someone deep in the FoA empire has a clue but then that always seems to fizzle like a cheap firecracker and we are back to the drab and dull once again.

The highlights have been few the last decade or so. The side mounted Territory at last MMS was a well presented idea but at the opposite end of the scale the poorly painted Mandarin Territory that also did the rounds was an absolute shocker.

As Ian said, there are three primary purposes to the motor show circuit. Introuduce new product; display a concept that showcases some capability within the organisation or use a concept to alter the image a company may have with the general public.

The Vignale probably succeeds because it meets the 2nd criteria even if we never see it here as a production vehicle. The Super Pursuit, on the other hand, barely meets the first criteria and fails on the 2nd and 3rd.

I am less sure than ever exactly what the Ford marketing strategies are these days. Indeed I wonder if they are even sure themselves. To do well in the Australian market requires three things at present. A competitive product in each of the Crossover catgeory (which the Territory clearly is); the Large Passenger category (where Falcon struggles) and the Small passenger category(!).

I very much doubt that a couple of warmed over XR8's and another SR will do a lot for Falcon sales any more than the Vignale is going to send Fiesta numbers closer to where they should be. Nor is there anything on that stand this year that is going to have the average punter thinking that Ford is innovative, exciting or even worth a second look. One could wonder (of course) whether the building of exciting and innovative cars is even necessary given the success of various bland Toyota models in this country but as enthusiasts we would hope otherwise.

Unfortunately and somewhat illogically, the enthusiast market isn't seen as all that important within Ford, despite (or maybe because of) the percentage of Falcon sales that are generated by the XR's. Perhaps they are content to sit on that success and put their marketing efforts into those segments where they are underperforming but that leaves open the risk that a competitor can undermine that market share in much the same way as Holden have done with the Ute.

Perhaps this year the Ford/FPV stand at SMS could introduce an FPV Fiesta GT-p. No power upgrade over the stocker but with 17" wheels, low profile tyres, colour ICC, parallel side stripes in contrasting colours and leather trimmed seats.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post