Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #271
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't please any one can you?

If they had FPV/HSV on the first episode, there woould be peope out there winging that "I hope that's not all they do.... Why didn't they have more supercars on there like TGUK does? Hope it doesn't turn into Ford V Holden all the time...etc....etc...etc."

I think we should give them some time, and review them again at the end of the season.

It will improve over time. But I didn't think it was that bad anyway.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #272
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Ute
You can't please any one can you?

If they had FPV/HSV on the first episode, there woould be peope out there winging that "I hope that's not all they do.... Why didn't they have more supercars on there like TGUK does? Hope it doesn't turn into Ford V Holden all the time...etc....etc...etc."

I think we should give them some time, and review them again at the end of the season.

It will improve over time. But I didn't think it was that bad anyway.
You need to edit your post mate. Makes too much sense.

They need to be themselves and we need to accept them as such.

The track needs work but above all it need to be explained. Should have had a walk thru or an overview to get the audience acclimatised and segments that don’t add value need to get the flick. They should be reminded that we are wanting to hear details and opinions on the cars. The staff are there to compile that for them.

I saw enough in the previews to commit to viewing the full season. Some of the polish will come later.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #273
DeansXR8

great first effort, already better than any other aussie car show...need we go back to Glenn Ridge to show you guys what a bad car show is??

Good to see them get that RAV4 airborn over the dunes, was worried a bit that they wouldn't give the cars they test a hard time like the UK version, but that answered that reasonably early.

Is only gonna get better & better the more these guys get used to each other and play one each others likes/dislikes/driving style etc.
DeansXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #274
fmc351
let it burn

Saying its a franchise as an explanation is missing the point. It is supposed to be a franchise, not a cheap knock off. Saying its better than any other car show means nothing, Humphrey B Bear could make cars out of cardboard, and look into the camera to deliver a car show that beats any other in Aus.

This was "Australian" Top Gear, advertised as so. For me it wasnt the sets, or the format, I expected that, the problem was the straight out attempt to replicate the characters....POORLY. As was pointed out, right down to the flappy paddles.

God I hope they grow a pair and do their own thing.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #275
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's with all the complaining, I liked the Show and it absolutely chited on every other local car shows we have on TV, i will continue to watch it. Think it's good how the way presenters Act/behave relates to the UK presenters.

Glad to see they got out and gave the car's some curry in the Soft roader test, see he spun the wheels of the Porsche as he pulled off the Gravel!! I'm amazed it's not a front page story.

I'm Glad they didn't do Ford Vs Holden on the first episode how predictable would that be and then if holden won there would just be a thread of people picking holes in the way the test was done.

We'v had Aussi made car shows and you know what they all sucked, The Top gear format is tested and proven and good on em for sticking with it.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #276
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

not bad for a 1st effort. Having said that the little guy annoyed me non stop and nothing interests me less than soft roaders. For those of you knocking Warren you should check out his car, very nice custom.
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #277
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Thats exactly what I thought, sort of short and stumpy, little bit of a gut and seemed to have his driving style, although i'm having trouble remembering exactly how he sits and steers.

The Stig is Dean Canto.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #278
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
The Stig is Dean Canto.
Seemed a bit overweight though for Canto.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #279
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Seemed a bit overweight though for Canto.
maybe he isn't training as hard as he used to be when he had a full time drive.

He's the only good driver i can think of who doesn't have much to do these days.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #280
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
maybe he isn't training as hard as he used to be when he had a full time drive.

He's the only good driver i can think of who doesn't have much to do these days.
I saw him at work a few weeks ago signing posters with the other drivers and he looked pretty slim. He definately hasn't put on any weight.

Bargwarna no longer has a main drive in the V8's either, I reckon its him.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #281
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard it was one of the bates brothers

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #282
capriv8

The stig to me looked like marcus ambrose, when the sun was shining through his visor you could make out the facial features did anyone tape it? oh and I thought the show was a great first effort.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #283
capriv8

sorry see above

Last edited by capriv8; 01-10-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: double post
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #284
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deinitely not ambrose.. yeh body shape looked abit like a master bates
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #285
Mr. Whippy

Phew finally waded through the 12 pages. Out of all the posts this is the one that summed up what I thought the most -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
But I hope they ditch any desperate Australiana references fast. unless relevant its just embarrassingly forced identity crisis. half of all Australian shows are doing that now, like we wont realise its australian without a skippy reference or a couple of buzz words nobody here actually uses.
Thats right, Warren is "Wazza" and theyre driving the cars "flat out like a lizard drinkin." Just horrible.

Expected a better effort at presenting such a well liked and familiar format with a fresh Australian approach. Totally cringeworthy.

Hopefully the presenters relax and the show clicks into place. Looking forward the F6 segment next week, not sure if I'll watch it after that unless theres a fair bit of improvement in the second episode.
Mr. Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #286
The Monty
Just slidin'

Oh gee, first of all its too like the Pommie version, now its got too much Australiana. You blokes are all the biggest armchair critics and I am certain that not one person here could do any better. Grow up a little bit. Next youll all be saying, ohhh, the light in the second segment was a little too dark for a 1/4 of a second, not watching it anymore.

As for the soft roaders, believe it or not, they are a huge segment in car sales in Australia, so the relevance is there for them to do a segment on it. Im sure the Territory, Captiva, and probably some of the BIGGER (not the small ones they tested) soft roaders will be tested in the future.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #287
ZC001
Cruisin

First episode wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Thankfully not too many ads. When I saw the promo with the GT40 taking off beside the wall covered in Castrol & Shannons signs I thought the show could turn out to be an ad-fest like commercial channels.

The test track was a disgrace.

That little twat is annoying. Sounds like one half of Lano & Woodley.

Why no Territory in the soft roader test. FFS its an Australian show, why not use at least one locally made car instead of things TGUK could have tested (if they got bored enough).
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #288
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Oh gee, first of all its too like the Pommie version, now its got too much Australiana. You blokes are all the biggest armchair critics and I am certain that not one person here could do any better. Grow up a little bit. Next youll all be saying, ohhh, the light in the second segment was a little too dark for a 1/4 of a second, not watching it anymore.

As for the soft roaders, believe it or not, they are a huge segment in car sales in Australia, so the relevance is there for them to do a segment on it. Im sure the Territory, Captiva, and probably some of the BIGGER (not the small ones they tested) soft roaders will be tested in the future.
Everyone needs to read this post, you make a great point and I totally agree with you.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #289
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriv8
The stig to me looked like marcus ambrose, when the sun was shining through his visor you could make out the facial features did anyone tape it? oh and I thought the show was a great first effort.
I downloaded the episode from Final Gear. I watched that last night when I saw the show the face through the visor. Its a bit hard to tell who it is. Has a big nose.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #290
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXR
I downloaded the episode from Final Gear. I watched that last night when I saw the show the face through the visor. Its a bit hard to tell who it is. Has a big nose.
Do they have them all in HD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #291
Mr. Whippy

Quote:
Oh gee, first of all its too like the Pommie version, now its got too much Australiana.
Do you think its impossible to present a show professionally with an Australian approach without the "throw another shrimp on the barbie" cliches? Being like the Pommie version wasnt the problem with the first episode, the problem (and not being polite this time) was that it was half arsed, cringeworthy, awkward, forced, try hard and the presenters mostly unlikeable. All this with SBS spending a million an episode, a great format and all the time to get it right.

On the strength of the first episode, it this got syndicated to the UK I'd be completely embarassed if this was the best we could do. So I stand by my comment that unless it improves significantly my interest in it will drop off after next weeks Ford vs Holden segment. Will be interesting to see how the ratings hold up over the next few weeks.

As for the show is ok because its the only motoring show we have and therefore that makes it alright, well I might as well start recording myself in a public phone box playing Dr Who, maybe that will make it Australia's best SciFi tv show. "C'mon youse Daleks, dont exterminate my mates, she'll be right!"
Mr. Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #292
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC001
First episode wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

That little twat is annoying. Sounds like one half of Lano & Woodley.
+1 !! i was thinking exactly the same thing - he's another Frank Woodley.....

The old bloke was good in the group story, but felt he was trying too hard in the story he did on his own.

The cartoonist reminds me of Tim Smith, and he comes across (to me anyway) as quite likeable)

That being said, we cannot compare it to the current Top Gear- they have had 11 series to get it right.

Re-watch Series 1 and you'll find a whole heap more things bad about the show than were good.

I hope it keeps the ratings up - all things take time, and it has enough of that " boys getting upto no good" chemistry when the three of them do a story that i think it may just work..............

I'll keep watching.

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #293
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whippy
Do you think its impossible to present a show professionally with an Australian approach without the "throw another shrimp on the barbie" cliches? Being like the Pommie version wasnt the problem with the first episode, the problem (and not being polite this time) was that it was half arsed, cringeworthy, awkward, forced, try hard and the presenters mostly unlikeable. All this with SBS spending a million an episode, a great format and all the time to get it right.

On the strength of the first episode, it this got syndicated to the UK I'd be completely embarassed if this was the best we could do. So I stand by my comment that unless it improves significantly my interest in it will drop off after next weeks Ford vs Holden segment. Will be interesting to see how the ratings hold up over the next few weeks.

As for the show is ok because its the only motoring show we have and therefore that makes it alright, well I might as well start recording myself in a public phone box playing Dr Who, maybe that will make it Australia's best SciFi tv show. "C'mon youse Daleks, dont exterminate my mates, she'll be right!"
Australia making such a bad copy of TGUK makes me cringe and remember Hornes "the lucky countrys" conclusions of Australia lacking great elites and that we simply lift ideas from overseas and "Asutralianise" them.

Can the trio.

Who can we have instead....................

Akmal perhaps??

What about Dick Johnson??

Fat pizza crew?

Wayne Gardner?
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #294
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Australia making such a bad copy of TGUK makes me cringe and remember Hornes "the lucky countrys" conclusions of Australia lacking great elites and that we simply lift ideas from overseas and "Asutralianise" them.

Can the trio.

Who can we have instead....................

Akmal perhaps??

What about Dick Johnson??

Fat pizza crew?

Wayne Gardner?
Akmal - Just because he is half funny doesn't mean he would be good hosting a TV show.

Dick Johnson would be great, but people would then whinge about how sarcastic the show would be (I for one, love DJ's sarcasm)

Fat Pizza crew? You got to be joking. Just because the do burnouts in corollas and valiants, doesn't make them car enthusiasts.

Wayne Gardner - No-one would give them any cars to test because he would keep crashing them

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #295
EBII Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
My wifes sitting there saying this is rubbish, turn it off. Not as funny as that pommy guy!
I think this is a good point.
UK TG appeals to all sorts of folks, not necessarily car nuts. I know a lot of women who enjoy UKTG (and certainly dont watch other car shows), but I think the local version is such a dead loss, and people(other than car diehards) will turn off quick smart, if they havent already.
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #296
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well that was just plain embarrassing

It was always going to end in tears ...... "even before it started!"
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #297
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Felt that the old bloke was a bit annoying.

Dad said the stig is Allan Grice (i'm in my 30's. dad is in his sixties so it might be dementia but he does know a few people).

He reckons that he saw Allan Grice in the stig outfit during filming.

Allan Grice would do that job for a quid or two.

Marcus Ambrose wouldn't need to, couldn't fly back often enough etc etc etc.

Jim Richards should be the STIG

Jim Richards should be Prime Minister! "Mr Speaker. I thought Australian MPs had more to them than this. I'll keep leading this country, but this will stay with me for a long time, Mr Speaker. You're a pack of A55HOLES"
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #298
Jayden
Graphic Artist

we havnt even determined if the aussie stig can drive well yet. Could be another driving instructor for all we know.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #299
dreadly
Banned

It sucked ***! It will surely fail within 2 seasons, we just cant get the cars or the cred. It took top gear 6 seasons to become a global hit. I hate the presenters- that Cartoonist is a &^%(ing muppett!
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #300
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

Well said! People love to give their opinions (and so they should, its australia after all!!!) but sometimes you have to take a considered look at things before you just blow your top and have a rant (i'd know, been there done that......).

As others have said, go watch the early top gear stuff (not just pilot/tiff needal period, before the SPLIT into Fifth gear....but even just a couple of years ago), it ain't all that pretty either. Top Gear UK has become a cult show because of the personalities/history the presenters have with each other. The challenges, the incidents (hammond roll over etc.) build viewer interest, but happen naturally, and often take a few cracks at it (different presenters etc.). Top Gear UK if anything, IMO at times is too pop culture and not enough about cars and new vehicles, but i'm being picky.

My two bob is that Top Gear Aus needed more explanation of who the presenters were and other aspects of the show (track etc.) in the first epislode. But they probably wanted to attract viewers moreso than worry about that. The presenters were a bit stiff and the main guy seemed to be worrying about chairing the whole thing, not relaxed. The pizatti guy was also nervous and rambled at times, while warren was quite relaxed and at home, even if he was doing some wierd stuff (maybach/sharks). All in all, not a bad first crack. Room for improvement, but reasonably polished, much more interesting than usual aussie stuff and they almost broke a Toyota.....come on guys, surely that is worth a second chance!!!!!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post