Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 18-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #301
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev5 ute
u may as well tell, everyone will know soon anyway its only a pod filter.So how much this kit cost u anyway..just the installed airgear i mean?

Get them to leave the gnd sticker of itll save on weight :
Well of course its a pod filter in there.. I hardly think the shape of it would support a panel filter. Fact is that its not just a filter making the gain. The design from how it fits in the car, where it takes air from and how it is connected to the intake piping has all been tested.. not just slapped in and assumed it works.

There is no smoke and mirrors here. The airbox is an "off the shelf" item for $650 which, when run back to back with the old system, made a measured 10rwkw difference on my car. I wrote up how the test was done and clearly stated what was (and wasnt) on the car at the time. Complete transparency. I have nothing to hide at all. Neither have G&D.
I believe we expected a 5-7rwkw gain or so before we fitted it so it even suprised us (I hoped for 5rwkw). This same airbox made a 12rwkw gain over a factory stock intake on an AU XR8 recently too so this is not something new. There is also a proven BA and LS1 version of this airbox in use too.

Feel free to try and pick holes in it but the facts are all there to be seen. The VCT engine has been shown to be very fickle in the past and, with the right mods, has often shown a better then expected increase. I'd love to see this same mod done to a Forte or Fairlaine and see the results of that but I am certain it would be a fairly dramatic improvement as well.
I feel no need to defent the results. The airbox has been a proven entity long before I got it, the dyno I ran it on has long been regarded as believable and G&D have been around developing inhouse performance parts for decades.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 18-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #302
normell

Great looking setup Shane.
Are they designed for all AU's, or only XR's.
Does it use a special filter (K&N Etc.) or a G&D one.
When you say it get's it's air from "behind the headlight", is this hot air from the engine bay.
How many $$$$$$ for the conversion.
Will it give simular increases for a "standardish" dedicated gas engine.
Sorry for so many Q's.

Normell

Still Drinking & Driving, But Not At The Same Time
Old 18-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #303
1TUFFUTE
Banned

[QUOTE=Casper]yeah, hell of a headstart. It was a JMM CAI system we replaced! : Every great empire has collapsed at some stage.

so casper does that mean u actually made alot more than just 10 rwkw from the new air box(over a standard one i mean,cus u said it was a JMM one) so uv probably made more like 15rwkw then,over standard. Thats sweet
Old 18-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #304
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
yeah, hell of a headstart. It was a JMM CAI system we replaced! : Every great empire has collapsed at some stage.
so casper does that mean u actually made alot more than just 10 rwkw from the new air box(over a standard one i mean,cus u said it was a JMM one) so uv probably made more like 15rwkw then,over standard. Thats sweet
yes, almost certainly. I know that the modified airbox I had made some gains over stock.. this just took it to a whole new level. I cant say how much though as that is guessing.. I prefer to go on what I can show solid evidence for.

Old 18-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #305
1TUFFUTE
Banned

calm down bro,im not picking holes in anything,just asking questions cus im truly interested..especialy if i just spent money($150) on crap mods 4 my beloved
Old 18-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #306
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=normell]Great looking setup Shane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normell
Are they designed for all AU's, or only XR's.
will work on any AU, from I6 forte to T3
Quote:
Does it use a special filter (K&N Etc.) or a G&D one.
Glen can answer that, I'm not 100% sure. The one in the BA I saw was like no other filter I'd seen in shape and size, not sure if I have the same
Quote:
When you say it get's it's air from "behind the headlight", is this hot air from the engine bay.
no, the airbox seperates this area from the enginebay.
Quote:
How many $$$$$$ for the conversion.
I think its $650 plus installation. I'm sure Glenn would do a dyno run before and after as part of that if you mention your from the forums. (correct me if I'm wrong Glenn)
Quote:
Will it give simular increases for a "standardish" dedicated gas engine.
Not sure, probably not as much due to the restiction of the mixer ring and the fact that LPG is now as efficient as a "performance" fuel anyhow. Would still see some gain though, maybe 50-60% at a guess but thats just a guess.
Quote:
Sorry for so many Q's.

Normell
No probs.

Old 18-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #307
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting that you gain 10rwkw on a stockish engine, yet when looking at the manifold pressure in datalogs of my engine (modified engine with factory intake and k&n filter) there is no restriction below about 5000rpm.

In fact, the difference I get between running my intake with the airbox completely removed back to back against it in 'street setup' is 2rwkw@5500rpm on the dyno, as measured last dyno day.

Guess what im saying is that none of it makes sense to me.
Old 18-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #308
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
Interesting that you gain 10rwkw on a stockish engine, yet when looking at the manifold pressure in datalogs of my engine (modified engine with factory intake and k&n filter) there is no restriction below about 5000rpm.

In fact, the difference I get between running my intake with the airbox completely removed back to back against it in 'street setup' is 2rwkw@5500rpm on the dyno, as measured last dyno day.

Just remind me again what car you drive, I didnt think you had the VCT so I am suprised you would even bother to post the above?

You may want to look at a way of getting unrestricted cold air into the box, if the gain is only 2rwkws

I supose thats the benefit of a Name Brand workshops doing the research for us.
Old 18-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #309
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Just remind me again what car you drive, I didnt think you had the VCT so I am suprised you would even bother to post the above?
Can you explain why my comments are not valid cos its not VCT?

I have an AU airbox, a engine with the same displacement which probably requires more air than any VCT engine due to its modifications.
Old 18-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #310
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Good to hear its going nicely Casper. I am not going to bag and ask questions..the proof is in the pudding. No doubt soon to be backed up with some times.. Good on you and good on G&D.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 18-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #311
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Can you explain why my comments are not valid cos its not VCT?

I have an AU airbox, a engine with the same displacement which probably requires more air than any VCT engine due to its modifications.
We are talking a VCT engine here mate, compare apples with applies, I edited my post btw,.

The VCT engine is unique in its own design and flaws, the grandpa motor where simple mods on another engine would gain power, the same on the vct would decrease.

Have a read of the orphan article on aufalcon.com, I can verify this information whilst I had my vct

Last edited by Laminge; 18-03-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 18-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #312
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:

Results are posted in black and white, I dont expect everyone to simply accept them. It doesnt matter to me.. I'm satified the results on my car are fact and, given the history of VCT anomalies in the past, I am just accepting it. There has been a number of other tests done during this mod that I'm not going to talk about however there were some noticable differences in the reaction of the VCT motor to Hamo's cammed I6 motor that suprised us.

In the end it really isnt an issue though, the airbox is AU only so no E Series tests are possible. I'm sure that I wont be the last AU owner to get one fitted on an I6 though so we may just have to wait and see other results from non VCT motors.

Old 18-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #313
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Out of curiosity Casper, did you do a run with no airbox attached at all, IE running straight from the throttle body? Were all the dyno runs made with the bonnet open or closed?

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Old 18-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #314
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Out of curiosity Casper, did you do a run with no airbox attached at all, IE running straight from the throttle body? Were all the dyno runs made with the bonnet open or closed?
yes, there was a run with no intake at all performed, yes, I know the result but no, for the moment I have been asked not to disclose it. Needless to say it had a very different result to Hamo's cammed I6.
I am not sure if the bonnet was open or closed.. I would assume open but Glenn would have to verify as I was actually in Sydney when the runs were done.

Old 18-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #315
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
We are talking a VCT engine here mate, compare apples with applies, I edited my post btw,.

The VCT engine is unique in its own design and flaws, the grandpa motor where simple mods on another engine would gain power, the same on the vct would decrease.
I thought we were talking about airboxes, or do I need a black AU VCT for my points to be valid?

All i am saying is that I KNOW that on my engine the airbox is not a restriction below 5000rpm, and removing it only gains 2rwkw after that. I dont understand that if it is no restriction, how gains can be made on any engine of the same displacement (i.e. air flow requirements). Maybe someone can explain it to me?

For example, if Casper gains 10rwkw with this airbox on a VCT, it is only logical that removing the airbox completely on this or any other VCT will gain more power on the dyno right (where open bonnets ensure cold air)?

Last edited by Laminge; 18-03-2006 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Im an idiot thats the 3rd time this week where Ive used edit instead of quote, my appologies
Old 18-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #316
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
I thought we were talking about airboxes, or do I need a black AU VCT for my points to be valid?

All i am saying is that I KNOW that on my engine the airbox is not a restriction below 5000rpm, and removing it only gains 2rwkw after that. I dont understand that if it is no restriction, how gains can be made on any engine of the same displacement (i.e. air flow requirements). Maybe someone can explain it to me?

For example, if Casper gains 10rwkw with this airbox on a VCT, it is only logical that removing the airbox completely on this or any other VCT will gain more power on the dyno right (where open bonnets ensure cold air)?

good point but maybe casper had a good run.i see were ur coming from and id like to know too. Maybe ur car just sucks : just kiddn
Old 18-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #317
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe having the airbox there is actually better for performance, as it is channeled, and directed, and forced through. I.e. pressure.

More air, doesn't neccesarily mean power. Sometimes the smaller better setup intakes, feel and make more power than larger ones.

The results are staring you in the face. It might just be a freak accident, but it's twice now that it's happened (~10rwkw gain), so clearly G&D are on the ball. And anyway, on any I6, you'd expect anything between 0-10rwkw. But what you'd expect more is driveability and response.

Just my 2c.

// Edit: Sorry make that 3 times it's happened now (~10rwkw gain), that this forum knows of.
Old 18-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #318
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
yes, there was a run with no intake at all performed, yes, I know the result but no, for the moment I have been asked not to disclose it. Needless to say it had a very different result to Hamo's cammed I6.
I am not sure if the bonnet was open or closed.. I would assume open but Glenn would have to verify as I was actually in Sydney when the runs were done.
Fair enough, that's a decision G&D have made. Just don't get aggressive when people question these results without seeing all the results.

Aaron.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Old 18-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #319
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Maybe having the airbox there is actually better for performance, as it is channeled, and directed, and forced through. I.e. pressure.
LOL - So Casper has gone forced induction then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
More air, doesn't neccesarily mean power. Sometimes the smaller better setup intakes, feel and make more power than larger ones.
So are you saying the G&D airbox might be smaller creating higher velocity intake charges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
The results are staring you in the face. It might just be a freak accident, but it's twice now that it's happened (~10rwkw gain), so clearly G&D are on the ball. And anyway, on any I6, you'd expect anything between 0-10rwkw. But what you'd expect more is driveability and response.
I see lots of dyno's, and i dont believe everything i seen automatically, especially when it goes against what I have previously found. Hell if I believed I could gain 10rwkw with an airbox mod id buy one right now, but sorry, the numbers just dont add up to me.
Old 18-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #320
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
LOL - So Casper has gone forced induction then?

So are you saying the G&D airbox might be smaller creating higher velocity intake charges?

I see lots of dyno's, and i dont believe everything i seen automatically, especially when it goes against what I have previously found. Hell if I believed I could gain 10rwkw with an airbox mod id buy one right now, but sorry, the numbers just dont add up to me.

$700+ is alot if it only works on the AU vct...but i could be wrong it does look sweet!
Old 18-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #321
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not saying anything, just some people on this forum, only see it their way, when they know nothing about it, or even live 2 states away.

Results will be shown on the 20th, won't they Casper? Will you be racing in full street trim?
Old 18-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #322
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
$700+ is alot if it only works on the AU vct...but i could be wrong it does look sweet!
seemed to work rather well on the XR6HP as well:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=36787

Old 18-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #323
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
I'm not saying anything, just some people on this forum, only see it their way, when they know nothing about it, or even live 2 states away.

Results will be shown on the 25th, won't they Casper? Will you be racing in full street trim?
results should be posted next Friday after I get back from Sydney again. If I do race at calder it will be in full street trim less the spare tyre, just like every other time. OTherwise Heathcote on the 20th May is looking good.

Old 18-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #324
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
seemed to work rather well on the XR6HP as well:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=36787
what did that HP run with just the air box like yours(in comparison)
Old 18-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #325
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
what did that HP run with just the air box like yours(in comparison)
dont know

Old 18-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #326
TCK-098

Ive spoken to Glen and MAtt about this Airbox and ill be another person to fit one to my VCT as im chasing another 15-25rwkw with a few more things as the chip didnt do what i expected it to do but i guess i aint the only one.
Old 18-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #327
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:

My mistake .

Last edited by Laminge; 18-03-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 18-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #328
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&D PERFORMANCE
It's AU city at G&D at the moment, another forum member has just dropped one off for some go fast goodies.Thanks guys.
That'd be me :evilsasmo

I'm getting the CAI - huge improvement in yours Casper, hope mine's similar - pacemaker extractors, hi flow cat and exhaust.

Last edited by Rob; 18-03-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 18-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #329
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
That'd be me :evilsasmo

I'm getting the CAI - huge improvement in yours Casper, hope mine's similar - pacemaker extractors, hi flow cat and exhaust.
good to hear mate, glad you made the long drive now?

Old 18-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #330
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Glad to see the good results coming in Casper, and I hope that the next few rounds are even better.

Look forward to the rest of the mods being disclosed and tested!

GK
Closed Thread