Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #301
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Default Re: Australia Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
It's definitely warmer in Cairns. Feels like home!

They've got a big muddy beach here you can't go on due to crocs. So they lie in the grass next to it and they've built a big pool beside it. Interesting solution.
You should have seen how ugly that beach front was before they did the upgrades. Are you heading up to Port Douglas or no time? Kuranda skyrail and train would have been good to add to your itinerary as well.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #302
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

No time. Tomorrow morning I fly to Alice Springs.

Perfect weather for the Reef today! It was sunny and calm. There were lots of fish. I dídn't see any turtles or sharks, but I saw a sea cucumber and some gian clams.

There was an older couple from NSW on my boat. Turns out the husband used to work at Jack Brabham Ford and helped with dyno work on the XA Phase IV now owned by "The Dentist."

While I was walking around town yesterday, I saw a Ford dealer. It occurred to me to walk in. They gave me a sales brochure for a Falcon XR6! Now I just need one for a ute, a Territory, and a Mondeo....

I noticed at a hotel breakfast buffet the other day that they have little packets of Vegemite. Free presents to take back home! I'll include instructions on how to eat it properly.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #303
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

You are heading down to the Great Ocean Road arn't you after all of this ?.

I am here now at Apollo Bay and have been for the last week, I hope the weather improves for you as it's freezing and rainy down here now, which is not normal for this time of yr, I hope it improves for you, it should do as I leave here tomorrow and the forecast is supposedly better for next week, doh...
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #304
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

If all goes according to plan, yes. But it'll be on a Sunday, the day before I fly back home.

It's pretty cool here in Alice Springs today, but the sun is intense. And I've encountered a couple flies already. My hotel doesn't seem to have a restaurant, and I've been warned not to be out after dark.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #305
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alice is certainly and interesting place, it is apparently the lesbian captial of Australia Moby - LOL
Old 15-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #306
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I had typed a long reply a few days back, but got cut off before it posted.

Anyway, Cairns was nice, and hot. And I've discovered that hotel breakfast buffets have little packets of Vegemite. Free gifts to take back home!

The camping tour of Uluru/Kata Tjuta/King's Canyon was amazing. I'm not crazy about the swag beds, but the first night was spectacular. I can't remember the last time I saw the Milky Way. Also, just before I went to sleep I saw a very bright shooting star.

I didn't climb Uluru, partially because they discourage it fairly strongly, but mainly because if I climbed it I wouldn't have time to do the base walk, which I figured was more interesting.

Over the course of the trip we saw lots of wild camels, some Euro kangaroos, a few dingos, and even a young goanna. I also saw "Dinky the World Famous Singing Dingo" at the roadhouse about 45 minutes from Alice Springs.

Today I wander around town, waiting to leave on the Ghan at 6:00. Darwin is next!
Old 15-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #307
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck in Darwn, again, an interesting place, try to do the WWII bombing memorials, they are pretty good
Old 15-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #308
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget to email / ams / ring me and let me know when the train is expected to arrive here in Darwin, otherwise you may find yourself sitting at the station for a while

Look forward to the meeeting tomorrow.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #309
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Darwin in spring feels like Orlando in summer.

Vincenzo was a great chauffeur, and made me respect 6-cylinder power. (Tubular exhaust headers always help.)

We went to the military museum, the Aviation Centre, and Crocodylus Park today. I held a baby croc (mouth taped, of course). We went by a house that was strafed, but got there too early in the day to get inside.

I'm doing laundry now, for the last time on my trip!

The Ghan was amazing and relaxing. I just fit in my berth and the corridors. The staff is very professional and friendly. I took a helicopter tour of Katherine gorges and waterfalls. That was a really fun ride!

So now I've traveled in Australia by jet, helicopter, train, car, and foot.

Tomorrow it's a long day of flying to Melbourne.
Old 17-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #310
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like your having a ball, cant wait to see the pics!!
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #311
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Tomorrow it's a long day of flying to Melbourne.
The weather should be alright here until about Sunday
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #312
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
The weather should be alright here until about Sunday
C'mon, be honest...

If you don't like the Weather in Melb, just wait a minute
Old 18-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #313
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
C'mon, be honest...

If you don't like the Weather in Melb, just wait a minute
get it right dodja, it's wait 5 minutes!

seriously though, 23 today, 27 tomorrow, 23 saturday so should be nice
Old 18-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #314
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be in Melbourne Saturday-Wednesday too.
Cant wait to have a Souvlaki. Not sure where to get one now that my old favorite has closed.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #315
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Melbourne is really cool, but Batman Park was not what I expected.

Today I went to Federation Square, walked up on the Federation Bells just as they started ringing, went to the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (they've got Max Rockatansky's Interceptor in there), walked into (but didn't tour) the National Gallery of Victoria, went up in Eureka Skydeck (I skipped the Edge when I saw what it cost and that you weren't allowed to take a camera with you), and went to the Melbourne Aquarium.

I got driven around in a Holden Caprice (pretty impressive, actually) last night by a former AFF member, and had a blast riding in TZENU's XY GT clone. It sounds like the Fist of God!
Old 20-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #316
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I take back some of the good things I said about Melbourne--all the shops close at 6:00. Don't they know there are tourists here desperate to get last-minute souvenirs?

Anyway, tomorrow is Geelong, and I meet another AFFer.
Old 21-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #317
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
I take back some of the good things I said about Melbourne--all the shops close at 6:00. Don't they know there are tourists here desperate to get last-minute souvenirs?

Anyway, tomorrow is Geelong, and I meet another AFFer.
On a Saturday a lot of shops will close at 6pm in the CBD but not all.

I went on the edge when it opened. It was WHACKED!
Old 21-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #318
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

The thing about the Edge is that if you go on the terrace, you can see what the Edge does. I'm sure it's a different experience looking down through transparent glass, but I don't know that it's worth $12, especially if you can't take any pictures on your own.

Today was a low-key last day for me. Thanks to Jason[98.EL] for driving me along the Great Ocean Road. The weather didn't cooperate very well, but now I've seen a spiny echidna (wandering onto the road) and a kookaburra (on a power line) to the list of things I've seen (too slow with the camera for both of them, however), and I can add a minivan to my modes of travel in Australia.

Tomorrow at noon I begin the long flight home. I haven't been anywhere that I feel I would have liked to spend less time. It's all been highly enjoyable.
Old 21-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #319
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

The edge is made from glass that is opaque while you move out over the city, then changes to transparent in a split second with a loud noise. It's certainly interesting lol.

I was in Albury for two days and the weather was fantastic. Not so much now I'm back down here which is a shame for your visit. Glad you had a good time.
Old 21-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #320
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Glad you enjoyed our magnificent country mate, hope you have a good flight home and I look forward to your pic's when you get them up.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #321
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enjoy the trip home, you have done well to cram in as much as you did
Old 22-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #322
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was our pleasure and great to meet you

It was a shame we were in spots we couldn't stop so you could get proper pics of the echidna and kookaburra

Hope you had a good time

Jason ,Helen and kids

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #323
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got a text message from Moby (Ken) before boarding his plane for home. Whilst he was with me we had lunch under a big Mahogany tree in a car park. We were talking about the Rockabilly thread of pictures and music and I told him about an Aussie band called Ol' 55 headed by Frankie J Holden. Guess who the lucky ba*tard sat beside on the Melbourne to Sydney leg.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #324
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Stupid Vodafone—I've got no bars here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
It was our pleasure and great to meet you

It was a shame we were in spots we couldn't stop so you could get proper pics of the echidna and kookaburra

Hope you had a good time

Jason ,Helen and kids
Yes, I get to add minivan with kids to my list of modes of transportation. The scenery was beautiful. And at least I got to see the echidna and kookaburra, and I spotted them on my own.

Thanks again for the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo
Just got a text message from Moby (Ken) before boarding his plane for home. Whilst he was with me we had lunch under a big Mahogany tree in a car park. We were talking about the Rockabilly thread of pictures and music and I told him about an Aussie band called Ol' 55 headed by Frankie J Holden. Guess who the lucky ba*tard sat beside on the Melbourne to Sydney leg.
Yes, Frankie was lucky to sit next to me....

It was funny, because after he asked me what I did, I was talking a lot, and when I asked him what he did, he said he acted, so I talked about some theatre stuff I've done.

Eventually he said something like, "Actually, I'm very well-known in Austrlia."

I had mentioned something about Chopper Read, and he started telling me a story about him, and then I asked him what his name was.

At least I got to say, "I've heard of you!" He has some pretty good stories, and he said he's taken a hot lap of Bathurst in a V8 Torana (but couldn't remember if it had a 308 or 350). He said I have to be a Holden fan now.

I will post pictures eventually, but it's going to take a while—i'm going to have to set up an account with a hosting site first.
Old 25-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #325
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G,Day Mate , have you caught up on sleep and overcome the jetlag yet ?
Old 26-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #326
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Still trying to get back on schedule. It's supposed to be easier coming this way.

But I keep waking up and wondering where I am! That never happened on the trip.
Old 26-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #327
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Still trying to get back on schedule. It's supposed to be easier coming this way.

But I keep waking up and wondering where I am! That never happened on the trip.
you're not in Kansas any more Toto...

...or ARE you?
Old 26-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #328
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Nah, I'm definitely in Florida. I've got a hurricane coming instead of a tornado.

That reminds me, I saw a nice dust devil in the desert. It wasn't on fire, though.

I saw an old Foster's billboard in Melbourne. It was the only evidence of Foster's I saw in Australia. The tagline on it was "Aaaah! Foster's Lager." I'm thinking maybe that was a scream instead of a sigh.
Old 27-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #329
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I saw an old Foster's billboard in Melbourne. It was the only evidence of Foster's I saw in Australia. The tagline on it was "Aaaah! Foster's Lager." I'm thinking maybe that was a scream instead of a sigh.
That reminds me, does anyone drink Foster's beer in Australia anymore? That brand has been considered an icon of Australia from overseas, yet it seems to be forgotten by Australians ourselves.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #330
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No harm, no foul on the Foster's—I'm sure we dump Budweiser on you in retaliation.

So the visa is back on! And here I am with MasterCard....

What kind of stuff that is small and lightweight would be good to bring for trading? I don't know what we've got here that might interest you that you can't get, but I'm thinking things like sales brochures, magazines, maybe some CDs or something.
Glad you asked could you pack this for me.
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1...w=1280&bih=857

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1...w=1280&bih=857

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post