Closed Thread

Old 15-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #301
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: XR8 vs SSV including dyno test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
So looking at last year's sales and using your percentages of local content, Ford placed orders with local suppliers for 60% of 6349 units, and Holden placed orders for 40% of 30203 units (plus Caprice plus exports).

So who was responsible for most of the components manufactured in Australia last year?

I reckon the answer would be Toyota.
One could then argue who is pricing their cars at a reasonable price and who are discounting the hell out of theirs which will have flow on effects to suppliers.

Overall, Falcon 70%, Camry 65% and Commmodore 52% (just scraps in over the 51% minimum).

And yes, it was probably Toyota!
Old 15-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #302
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Miami, Is that in Florida or Victoria. Hmmm name sorta gives it away...
Not really if you know anything about what FPV had envisioned for the engine...
Old 15-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #303
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Not all the components inside are made in Australia...
Pretty sure, that at the peak of the Aussie car industry, all components were Australian made - block, cylinder head, pistons, crank, gaskets, etc.

Different story for todays Aussie built engines, but the discussion mentioned the Hemi so I presume 1970's engines.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #304
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When was the peak?
I think it was the crank of the SOHC (and DOHC?) Falcons that was made overseas?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 15-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #305
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
When was the peak?
I think it was the crank of the SOHC (and DOHC?) Falcons that was made overseas?
As per the engine discussion above - while all engine components where manufactured in Australia - late 60's to mid 70's
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 15-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #306
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
So looking at last year's sales and using your percentages of local content, Ford placed orders with local suppliers for 60% of 6349 units, and Holden placed orders for 40% of 30203 units (plus Caprice plus exports).

So who was responsible for most of the components manufactured in Australia last year?

I reckon the answer would be Toyota.
And using your method on my method.......who's using more imported parts on their Australian made cars?
Old 15-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #307
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That would also be Toyota, wouldn't it?

Meanwhile...comparison article
Old 15-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #308
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

It good to see the Ford got the nod in the handling department on everything except a billiard table race track. Interesting given everyone else has said otherwise.

I can live with that for the auto...
Old 15-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #309
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

That would also be Toyota, wouldn't it?

Meanwhile...comparison article
Umm no. The toyotas share very similiar content as the ford falcon.
So your typical Ssv has the most imported content of all the Aussie made cars. Oh that's right....the other Aussie made Holden, the Cruze, has even more imported content....my bad!
Old 15-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #310
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
So your typical Ssv has the most imported content of all the Aussie made cars. Oh that's right....the other Aussie made Holden, the Cruze, has even more imported content....my bad!
Don't even bring up the cruze. It's a CKD.
Old 15-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #311
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Don't even bring up the cruze. It's a CKD.
What's a ckd?
Old 15-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #312
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
What's a ckd?
Complete knockdown kit. Basically it's put together in Adelaide like a kit car.
Old 15-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #313
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not disputing there is less local content in the Holden on a per unit basis - but when it comes to total volume of local components, which of the 3 local manufacturers do you think purchases the smallest volume of local components?

Lets say all 3 manufacturers purchase seats from the same local supplier. Who is purchasing the least amount of seats from that local supplier? Who would that local business see as their least important customer in the scheme of things given the size of orders each manufacturer places?

Feel free to bring Cruze into this if you want, and obviously include Territory too, as even though local content per Ford unit might be higher you will still find that the smaller number of units likely skews things further against Ford when it comes to total volume of local components purchased.

Perhaps it's best we go back to the actual topic hey?
Old 15-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #314
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
And in a couple of years all cars sold in Australia will be 100% imported content, so your argument is pointless and futile.
Captain obvious
It may be futile as of a NOW but it wasn't always.

And it's NEVER been POINTLESS!

Some of you guys(not pointing fingers) must be the worst sports fans.....as soon as your team has a bad run you jump ship and start bagging them!
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #315
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
No it isn't. How can it be ckd when it has 30% local content? The C stands for COMPLETE.
The 30% is the people putting it together.
Old 15-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #316
701let

Quote:
I'm not disputing there is less local content in the Holden on a per unit basis - but when it comes to total volume of local components, which of the 3 local manufacturers do you think purchases the smallest volume of local components?

Lets say all 3 manufacturers purchase seats from the same local supplier. Who is purchasing the least amount of seats from that local supplier? Who would that local business see as their least important customer in the scheme of things given the size of orders each manufacturer places?

Feel free to bring Cruze into this if you want, and obviously include Territory too, as even though local content per Ford unit might be higher you will still find that the smaller number of units likely skews things further against Ford when it comes to total volume of local components purchased.

I don't think they can or want to understand what you are trying to say mate

In any case this is way off topic 😃
Old 15-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #317
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I think you need to get your facts straight.
Sarcasm is lost on the net. Sorry, my mistake. CKD is also accepted for items that are not complete knock down.

Quote: A knock-down kit is a kit containing the parts needed to assemble a product. The parts are typically manufactured in one country or region, then exported to another country or region for final assembly. Variant names include knockdown kit, knocked-down kit, or simply knockdown, and the abbreviated KD or CKD.

Though I might add that its a bit rich you talking about getting facts straight... Still havent seen you post up the FPV business details as you did the prodrive details... Cat got your tongue?
Old 15-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #318
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Agreed with what you're saying. Just curious who is giving the most profit to the supplier though. As I mentioned the cost of the Holdens are being discounted by big numbers and so are the Toyotas. The falcon/terri isnt as much but as a pure numbers game without knowing the details (as I dont either), I'm inclined to agree with your assessment.

But we should get back on topic.
Old 15-01-2015, 10:41 PM   #319
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to be still off topic but it's the way this thread has meandered.

Just in response to those going on about the "volume" of local content, this cannot just be quantified by saying Holden produce more cars therefore they generate more income for the local suppliers.

Ford have helped local suppliers with global contracts; this was an earlier thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...lier+Contracts

Ford have the highest local content of the current 3 manufacturers, that's a good thing. No need to attempt to dilute that by bringing in sales volume.
Old 15-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #320
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post

Just in response to those going on about the "volume" of local content, this cannot just be quantified by saying Holden produce more cars therefore they generate more income for the local suppliers.

Ford have helped local suppliers with global contracts; this was an earlier thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...lier+Contracts

Ford have the highest local content of the current 3 manufacturers, that's a good thing. No need to attempt to dilute that by bringing in sales volume.
Yeah exactly. You can't say the ford xr8 does less for Australia simply because it might sell less. The fact of the matter is......FORD made it so that no matter what the sales were.......only 30% of it needed to be imported!

Imagine if Holden/GM had matched Fords numbers. The SS would both sell in large numbers AND actually provide a serious boost for suppliers.

But once again some will only ever look at these things in as negative a way(and with a lack of humour as noted above) as possable.....even if it doesn't make a lot of common sense! It's either that or they just hate ford.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #321
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post

Ford have helped local suppliers with global contracts
They also do it the opposite way, we had been making for parts for many years, Ford shifted them to India....... Volumes are low which surprised me that they could get someone to take them on who is less flexible.
Old 16-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #322
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah exactly. You can't say the ford xr8 does less for Australia simply because it might sell less. The fact of the matter is......FORD made it so that no matter what the sales were.......only 30% of it needed to be imported!

Imagine if Holden/GM had matched Fords numbers. The SS would both sell in large numbers AND actually provide a serious boost for suppliers.

But once again some will only ever look at these things in as negative a way(and with a lack of humour as noted above) as possable.....even if it doesn't make a lot of common sense! It's either that or they just hate ford.
Isn't that what the commodore is doing? Selling in good numbers thus providing a boost for local suppliers even with the 50% local content.

Wouldn't selling say 2500 commodores per month with 50% local content be better for local suppliers than selling say 500 falcons per month with 70% local content?
5 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #323
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Isn't that what the commodore is doing? Selling in good numbers thus providing a boost for local suppliers even with the 50% local content.

Wouldn't selling say 2500 commodores per month with 50% local content be better for local suppliers than selling say 500 falcons per month with 70% local content?
Don't forget to include the locally build Territories with your 500 falcons sales.

This unfortunately will come to an end come 2017
Old 16-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #324
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post

Your just being argumentative.
If commadore was selling as well as you say......why are they leaving? Why are these supply companies closing?
And why did they go from 50% local content in the vf when it was released to a target number of 70%(don't know when they expected to hit they number but common sense would say ASAP)
Old 16-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #325
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Look. 50-70% of the time , it works none of the time.

That's why holden and ford left

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #326
LooLoo18

Quote:
Your just being argumentative.
If commadore was selling as well as you say......why are they leaving? Why are these supply companies closing?
And why did they go from 50% local content in the vf when it was released to a target number of 70%(don't know when they expected to hit they number but common sense would say ASAP)
Falcon 578 for Dec and 6,349 for the year
Commodore 2,009 & 30,203
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
Old 16-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #327
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooLoo18 View Post
Falcon 578 for Dec and 6,349 for the year
Commodore 2,009 & 30,203
It really is pointless flogging the sales statistics. We know it's sad but that's the way it is.

Ford is stopping local manufacture, they're manufacturing to their schedule and the Falcon is already an orphan.

Holden plans to be around for a little bit longer and have to sell more to amortise their investment in VF I would imagine.

It's obvious Holden sells more cars therefore overall they would be contributing more to the bottom lines of suppliers.

Doesn't alter the fact the locally built Fords have a higher local content.
Old 16-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #328
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going back to the first post, my wife ran a faster time down the quarter than the ss in her stock .bf xr6 turbo and not even changing gears manually
Old 17-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #329
701let

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo View Post
Going back to the first post, my wife ran a faster time down the quarter than the ss in her stock .bf xr6 turbo and not even changing gears manually
Maybe the guy in the SS had the tyre pressures set wrong, or he just didn't know how to drive the holden properly.. More racing needs to be done by different drivers at different tracks to be conclusive ....
7 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #330
hootar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701let View Post
Maybe the guy in the SS had the tyre pressures set wrong, or he just didn't know how to drive the holden properly.. More racing needs to be done by different drivers at different tracks to be conclusive ....
No offense but maybe it was just another ****box, under powered holden. .
4 users like this post:
Closed Thread