Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Malaysian Airways Flight 370

2nd time lucky for the Chinese with a jab at Malaysia.
  • Having incorrectly claimed their satellite had found wreckage in the Gulf of Thailand, the Chinese have shown revised satellite imagery with an object 22.5m x 13m positioned in the South Indian Ocean (just south of the new search area).

• Chinese also claim the transcript of conversation between the plane and ground control is not correct, but do not go into detail as to what is wrong.

This now appears to be a 'race to the bottom' (sorry for the pun) amongst countries trying to undo other countries claims. Nothing like a bit of national one-ups-man-ship during a search and rescue is there (sarc). Category One Cyclone forming off Christmas Island for good measure.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
2nd time lucky for the Chinese with a jab at Malaysia.
  • Having incorrectly claimed their satellite had found wreckage in the Gulf of Thailand, the Chinese have shown revised satellite imagery with an object 22.5m x 13m positioned in the South Indian Ocean (just south of the new search area).

• Chinese also claim the transcript of conversation between the plane and ground control is not correct, but do not go into detail as to what is wrong.

This now appears to be a 'race to the bottom' (sorry for the pun) amongst countries trying to undo other countries claims. Nothing like a bit of national one-ups-man-ship during a search and rescue is there (sarc). Category One Cyclone forming off Christmas Island for good measure.
you're right re the race to the bottom and sadly we're involved too.
Shame as it achieves nothing other than showing how petty and high and mighty we can be as a country

Last edited by xxx000; 23-03-2014 at 02:47 PM.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

One of my friends was recently on CNN being asked for an opinion. Sadly there is so much speculation by those who have very little idea as to what happened, it has clouded the issue significantly. Seems that journalists desperate for information are adding 2+2 and getting 5.
Compounding the issue, is the ridiculous release of information by the Malaysians who are desperate to save face. Each piece of information released is once disseminated filled with contradiction to the prior bit of info, or full of holes.

Pilots I have spoken to seem to form a very similar opinion, that is to say there seems to be consensus on an electromechanical problem on board such as an avionics fire, and the captain tried to divert to Pulau Langkawi. It has a 13000 foot runway and the left turn on a direct heading to Langkawi with an ocean approach seems to make sense. Flying over the Malaysian Peninsula can be dangerous in an aircraft of which the condition is deteriorating, as there are 8000 foot ranges to clear. Not a problem in the day, but on a dark night with no instruments it's too hazardous to mention.
Also, from the point of lost comms, Langkawi is closer.

I'm also disgusted at the lack of respect for the crew, who most likely died whilst heroically trying to save the lives of all those on board.
For the sake of all those souls on board, the crew and their families, I hope that we find the site and investigate the causes. Lets just hope the debris is not a lost shipping container.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chinese satellites spot new possible debris from missing plane
Fingers crossed on this one.
Very controversial for nations to be releasing these photographs/images.
I don't think these satellites were put up there to take pics of huge swaths of the
Indian Ocean. I wonder if the USA or Russia have targeted their spy sats to take
pics of the southern Indian Ocean?
Kind of heartening, that in a time of crisis at least, 'They shall beat the Swords into Plowshares' still rings true.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

With all these satellite picking up 20 plus meters of floating debris here and there, it makes you wonder how much rubbish is floating in the ocean. I can't help thinking if the plane was hijacked and is stored somewhere,are the hijackers just sitting back watching the world have a wild goose chase?

And if they are terrorist, are they going to strike while everybody's busy looking for the plane?
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
cram_it_frog
wombat

Ok every one out there do you rember Kelly's Heroes the movie in one scene there were talking about a bridge being up and working

Kelly said " POSITIVE THINKING is what we need here

you think the bridge is standing and it will

So what I want is every one out there with POSITIVE THOUGHTS

THIS IS THE WRECKAGE THIS IS THE WRECKAGE

Please and thank you
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram_it_frog View Post
Ok every one out there do you rember Kelly's Heroes the movie in one scene there were talking about a bridge being up and working

Kelly said " POSITIVE THINKING is what we need here

you think the bridge is standing and it will

So what I want is every one out there with POSITIVE THOUGHTS

THIS IS THE WRECKAGE THIS IS THE WRECKAGE

Please and thank you

ok i'll give this a try . HERE GOES " CLOSE EYES, CEAR MIND , NOW REPEAT IN MY HEAD !!

" I HAVE A 10 INCH SCHLONG " " I HAVE A 10 INCH SCHLONG" "I HAVE A 10 INCH SCHLONG"
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...age-gives-hope

Quote:
An Australian plane has spotted small pieces of debris in the southern Indian Ocean but Prime Minister Tony Abbott says it's too early to be sure if they are from the missing Malaysia Airlines plane.

Mr Abbott gave an update on the search for Flight MH370 before leaving Papua New Guinea on Sunday morning.

Hours earlier China released a grainy March 18 satellite image of an object measuring 22.5 metres by 13 metres, just 120km from where possible wreckage was detected in the ocean two days earlier, about 2500km southwest of Perth.

The new Chinese satellite imagery suggests at least one large object, Mr Abbott said on Sunday.

"Yesterday one of our civilian search aircraft got visuals of a number of objects in a fairly small area in the overall Australian search zone," the prime minister told reporters.

A wooden pallet was among the items, he said.

"Obviously before we can be too specific about what it might be, we need to recover this material. It's still too early to be definite," he said.

Mr Abbott says there is increasing hope that authorities are on the road to discovering what happened to the ill-fated jet.

MH370, carrying 239 people including six Australians, dropped off civilian radar on March 8 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Two weeks later Malaysian investigators still believe it was "deliberately diverted" by someone on board.

Mr Abbott said four more aircraft - two Chinese and two Japanese planes - will join the Indian Ocean search on Sunday.
Question... would a wooden pallet be used in the cargo hold of a plane??

If it were, you would assume that something heavy were strapped it it. Meaning it would have sunk???

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

If it were, you would assume that something heavy were strapped it it. Meaning it would have sunk???
300-400kmh+ impacts from high altitude tend to break straps.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
300-400kmh+ impacts from high altitude tend to break straps.
I think the straps would have broken the pallet before they themselves broke???

Also, if the pallet was visible from space, it must be a lightish colour. How long does it take for a floating item to start to develop slime and other gunk that tends to attach to and grow over anything floating in the water???

Whatever was seen floating probably wasn't in the water long enough to develop those growths.

Old 23-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
05_ENFORCER

Pallets have been know to go over board, especially onboard some expo oil rigs ...............

Old 23-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER View Post
Pallets have been know to go over board, especially onboard some expo oil rigs ...............
Which is where I think this pallet has come from.

Old 23-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
I think the straps would have broken the pallet before they themselves broke???

Also, if the pallet was visible from space, it must be a lightish colour. How long does it take for a floating item to start to develop slime and other gunk that tends to attach to and grow over anything floating in the water???

Whatever was seen floating probably wasn't in the water long enough to develop those growths.
Wasn't the rumoured 200Kgs of gold strapped to a pallet?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Wasn't the rumoured 200Kgs of gold strapped to a pallet?
I wonder... would strapping 200kg of gold to a pallet be the first method that comes to mind for transportation???

200kg of gold is actually pretty compact... a quick online calculator tells me not much bigger than a full 10L bucket in volume.

Or half the size of a carry on bag for context.

Old 23-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:

Transport of live animals on international flights has to be done inside wooden crates.

Quote: