Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #361
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wheels 'Ford Mustang V8 scores ‘poor’ 2-star safety rating'

G'day , One good thing about our lord and savior of the car world..No chance of this foul mouthed git espousing his views on AFF...not like his YT vids anyway..
We have decent standards here and we might disagree on things but reverting back to bull...t , a...holes , etc etc.. constantly would not be needed or tolerated...Mr Cadogen........GROW UP.. Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #362
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
The Mustang brand will benefit from all this exposure - it will be 5 stars in no time and the world will roll in a safer Stang.
I don't have any time time for him but I agree 100% with this.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #363
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandj View Post
John Bowe comments from facebook regard Mustang crash test.

One of the categories is Driver Safety Assist. This is where the Mustang scored a 2 rating.
In the other 3 categories Mustang scored up to 5 (out of 5). So you see, it's dangerous to look at part of the result in isolation (or believe the news headlines only). You need to know the whole story.
The Mustang does not have Lane Departure Warning, nor Auto Emergency Braking, two of the components on the checklist in the 'Safety Assist' category. Hence the rating of 2 stars for Active Safety Assist.
The 2 star result in this category determined the overall rating.
FMD
This is exactly why this whole system has become completely pointless.

At WORST, the Mustang is a 4 star car (under the new tougher standards)
except if you are some kind of retarded twat and can't keep your car in its own lane.

Furthermore, it only cops the 4 star because they managed to make the dummy's head hit the steering wheel, which is a stupid and subjective test.
Most cars have massive seat travel, and adjustable steering wheels. If you are one of those nongs who drives with their chin over the wheel, then yeah, you will either hit the wheel, or get punched in the face by an airbag.
I am around average height, and have slightly short legs. I was involved in a massive head-on, in a car that would have rated 1 star even under the old system, and my head went nowhere near the wheel.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #364
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all , Does anyone know what proportion of the new system is directly the performance of the cars tested in front , side and rear collision situations ?
Don't know about anybody else but that's what really matters. Driver aids for safety , I hope are an important but secondary level of the new rating system.. On driver assist aids....

I like the Blind Spot Monitoring one because every one of us can 'lose' a car in the rear mirror and that is a genuine aid..Just happens sometimes..and rear reversing camera/sonic too because of tiny kids , pets etc that are totally unpredictable and will invariably appear from nowhere in an instant.

Lane departure warning for me suggests inattention , stupidity , you're drunk or stoned or too tired to drive which is scary in the first place and comes back to being as bad as DUI.."Book 'em all Dano"...

Park Assist...Geez , this one really annoys me.. If you need that other than exceptional circumstances , how did they pass their driver test? . It's one of the basic tests you have to do..Even as an oldie if this is how you need to park the chariot , then maybe it's time to chuck in the keys...

I know there are more Driver Aids that make cars that bit safer but fundamentally it doesn't make the actual driver safer and better...far from it..

Maybe autonomous cars are already here and we just don't fully realise it yet. ? Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 12-02-2017 at 10:47 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #365
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can look deeper into the results easily enough. http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/mustang/26063

Apparently without all the assists you could never get above a 3 or so anyhow. It does fall down a bit in child safety too, but it's not a family car. I guess some people would throw kids in the back, but I'm guessing the target audience is not families.

Actually, I have been watching a show on Netflix called Blacklist. One of the characters gets around in a Mustang, later on he has a Charger. When he has a baby, he's in a Fusion.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #366
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.caradvice.com.au/517368/i...?source=plista

I absolutely love the Mustang, but I agree with Paul about not touching one till Ford sorts its safety out.

chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #367
Sprint XR8

Quote:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/517368/i...?source=plista

I absolutely love the Mustang, but I agree with Paul about not touching one till Ford sorts its safety out.

2 faced Paulie has no problems touching his zero star rated Porsche loan car, and looks the other way at Porsche's avoidance of crash testing.
It’s too much trouble for Paulie to criticize Porsche. They cut the cars off, and he likes driving them too much.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #368
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

When a Ford Transit Custom van gets a higher safety rating than the Mustang then something is seriously wrong here.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #369
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new crashtest were introduced last year, has a transit been tested using this testing method?
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #370
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk74 View Post
The new crashtest were introduced last year, has a transit been tested using this testing method?
The Funny thing is the ANCAP timing of those test criteria is 2018, but it is listed on the ANCAP site as a EURO test NOW.

Go figure.

Last edited by Fordman1; 17-02-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #371
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is that guy a fool or what,hes quite happy to risk his family and the public driving an old car ,cause he is aware of the risk but wont drive a newer,safer mustang because its not what he thinks it should be.when buying a car i have never checked safety features,fuel economy etc only thing i check is it a v8 nad does it look good
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2017, 06:43 AM   #372
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it's. Safety rating is as crap as its looks

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #373
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
is that guy a fool or what,hes quite happy to risk his family and the public driving an old car ,cause he is aware of the risk but wont drive a newer,safer mustang because its not what he thinks it should be.when buying a car i have never checked safety features,fuel economy etc only thing i check is it a v8 nad does it look good
Looks good?

Looks like **** if your happy with half arsed safety features get a real mustang not a swing and a miss modern day version

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #374
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have got a mixture of old and modern cars .that was my point ,you cant complain about not driving 1 car because it dosnt have the amount of safety features you think it should have then be willing to drive 1 that has none
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #375
WPR1

Anyone who is worried about their Mustang not having auto stop or lane departure warning I am happy to take it off their hands. Such a media beatup!
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #376
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Looks good?

Looks like **** if your happy with half arsed safety features get a real mustang not a swing and a miss modern day version
'Swing and miss' - lmao and I don't even own one.

1st generation Stang - a legend was born.

2/3/4/5 generation - looked absolutely hideous, especially the 4th. Ford lost their way after the 1st generation imo.

6th generation - pays homage to the 1st generation but is better in everyway.
Goes better than the first generation, looks better than the first generation - no comparison imo ...... shytes all over it. If driving around in a slow ***e 1st generation Stang floats your boat (wouldn't be seen in the 2/3/4/5) then go for it, each to their own. The 6th generation has now booted every other generation Stang out of the park. I saw an older couple in a new red Stang convertible the other day and that said it all - the worlds moved on and looks a lot better.

The Mazda MX5 based on the new rating scored a lot better than the Stang. So did the i20, Mazda 2, Suzuki Baleno and the list just keep going. As mentioned I love the Mustang and would lay down my hard earned for one, probably will in the future - but not until it's 5 stars. I simply expect more safety if paying 70/80 thousand bucks. Forgetting the lack of techno safety aids, the 72% safety score for the driver is shyte, there's no denying it, sports car or not. All of the above mentioned cars score higher for the driver which is absolute ***s poor for someone who has outlayed a huge amount of money.

Ford know the deal, they have to fix it and will fix it. It will be 5 stars very soon imo.

Old 18-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #377
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
'Swing and miss'

The Mazda MX5 based on the new rating scored a lot better than the Stang.
Umh,

The MX5 has NOT been tested to the new standard ( either in EU or ANCAP ).

There is so much "fake news"here !
4 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #378
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Umh,

The MX5 has NOT been tested to the new standard ( either in EU or ANCAP ).

There is so much "fake news"here !
Corrected - was caught up in the layout. As far as I can see though the 'Driver' protection score is still a lot higher and I cannot see any change to how the driver protection has changed with the latest scoring. Please correct if wrong.

This is a copy and paste straight off the EURO NCAP site regarding the star ratings:

5 stars safety: Overall good performance in crash protection. Well equipped with robust crash avoidance technology

4 stars safety: Overall good performance in crash protection; additional crash avoidance technology may be present

3 stars safety: Average to good occupant protection but lacking crash avoidance technology

2 stars safety: Nominal crash protection but lacking crash avoidance technology

1 star safety: Marginal crash protection

A lot more is needed to be done to the Mustang than just adding crash avoidance technology

EDIT - I'll be sure to post the Mazda MX5 results when that gets put through its paces for debate.
Mazda won't have a problem with supplying a vehicle

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 18-02-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 18-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #379
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Corrected - was caught up in the layout. As far as I can see though the 'Driver' protection score is still a lot higher and I cannot see any change to how the driver protection has changed with the latest scoring. Please correct if wrong.

This is a copy and paste straight off the EURO NCAP site regarding the star ratings:

5 stars safety: Overall good performance in crash protection. Well equipped with robust crash avoidance technology

4 stars safety: Overall good performance in crash protection; additional crash avoidance technology may be present

3 stars safety: Average to good occupant protection but lacking crash avoidance technology

2 stars safety: Nominal crash protection but lacking crash avoidance technology

1 star safety: Marginal crash protection

A lot more is needed to be done to the Mustang than just adding crash avoidance technology

EDIT - I'll be sure to post the Mazda MX5 results when that gets put through its paces for debate.
Mazda won't have a problem with supplying a vehicle
I suggest you go through the rest of your list, and understand the underlying technical data ( in each test and the criteria used in that test including HIC scores ) before you post.

Swing and miss ?
Old 18-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #380
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk74 View Post
Copy and paste off Paul Marics article:

It’s not like the testing regime is a surprise, either. Some 25 vehicles have been tested under the new regime, and most have passed well. It’s also not just sports cars doing poorly, because other sports cars tested have scored at least four stars. It’s also not just a Ford thing – the Ford Transit Custom van scored five stars under the new regime.

Old 18-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #381
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I suggest you go through the rest of your list, and understand the underlying technical data ( in each test and the criteria used in that test including HIC scores ) before you post.

Swing and miss ?
Yeah it was a 'swing and miss' - hence my *previous* post 'corrected'. Pin a medal on your chest. Unlike some mate I couldn't give 2 shytes getting corrected about wrong info I've posted - not that it will help the Mustang when the MX5 data does come out. Not sure if you read that but I will post the results when the MX5 gets put through the new test.

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 18-02-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 18-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #382
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Copy and paste off Paul Marics article:

It’s not like the testing regime is a surprise, either. Some 25 vehicles have been tested under the new regime, and most have passed well. It’s also not just sports cars doing poorly, because other sports cars tested have scored at least four stars. It’s also not just a Ford thing – the Ford Transit Custom van scored five stars under the new regime.

The Ford Transit Custom was last tested in 2012 - old regime.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #383
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

1st generation Stang - a legend was born.

2/3/4/5 generation - looked absolutely hideous, especially the 4th. Ford lost their way after the 1st generation imo.
Hideous ?

I'm sure you're just a troll with some of the crap you write...

The 5th gen holds itself very well in the present company, especially considering it dates from 2005.

You should go join https://forum.miata.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=145

MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #384
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Hideous ?

I'm sure you're just a troll with some of the crap you write...

The 5th gen holds itself very well in the present company, especially considering it dates from 2005.

You should go join https://forum.miata.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=145
In whose company? Each to their own.......the 6th generation shytes on the 5th - you own a 5th generation do ya? The only Mustang I'd own would be a 6th generation. How long did it take you to google the best pic you could find of the 5th generation - sorry it's a fail. The 6th generation behind it shytes on it even in the distance.
Old 18-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #385
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Swing and miss ?
No changes the the driver protection rating between when the MX5 was last tested and the driver rating of the latest regime.
Old 18-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #386
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How long did it take you to google the best pic you could find of the 5th generation - sorry it's a fail. The 6th generation behind it shytes on it even in the distance.
It's simply a picture of the two generations, hardly the best photo ever of a S197.

With any luck the S550 will never get a 5 star rating, that will mean one less numpty driving a Mustang.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #387
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
With any luck the S550 will never get a 5 star rating, that will mean one less numpty driving a Mustang.
How do you do it - mate you're gold. My 'troll' of opinion won't change. Ya can take the 2/3/4/5 generation to the tip for all I care. Even Ford said they'd lost their way with the Mustang and had to get the 6th generation right. Apologies if I pulled on a heartstring with my opinion.
Old 18-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #388
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It's simply a picture of the two generations, hardly the best photo ever of a S197.

Good point Maggie,

Numpty's not required.
Old 18-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #389
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the IIHS and NHTSA both gave Mustang high, if not maximum ratings, then how could it be unsafe? You have one testing standard - which has moved the goalposts significantly it seems that gives the Mustang 2 stars and now it is suddenly unsafe? This is why people are hesitant to accept the rating.

The Mustang rates just as well or better than the Camaro, Challenger and Subaru BRZ. These are 2 door moderately priced sports cars. The first 2 are not rated by NCAP AFAIK. The BRZ rates 4 stars under the NHTSA, whereas the Mustang rates 5 stars.
Now under ANCAP, the BRZ is 5 stars from testing when it was new. So why is the Mustang called unsafe and the BRZ is seen as OK? Both are on sale today, but no-one would suggest the BRZ is unsafe. Yes, I know different years, different criteria, but the likes of John Cadogan and other so called motoring "journalists" have been quick to dog-pile on Ford over the NCAP rating.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #390
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good point Maggie,

Numpty's not required.
Awwww a bromance. Ya got any pics of the 2/3/4 generation 'Maggie' to add to the slide show? Dunno who's more of a Numpty, the bloke who said he doesn't like the 5th generation, or the bloke who then puts a picture up trying to what?....change his mind - I'd use the word muppet.