Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #391
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Malaysian Airways Flight 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
2nd time lucky for the Chinese with a jab at Malaysia.
  • Having incorrectly claimed their satellite had found wreckage in the Gulf of Thailand, the Chinese have shown revised satellite imagery with an object 22.5m x 13m positioned in the South Indian Ocean (just south of the new search area).

• Chinese also claim the transcript of conversation between the plane and ground control is not correct, but do not go into detail as to what is wrong.

This now appears to be a 'race to the bottom' (sorry for the pun) amongst countries trying to undo other countries claims. Nothing like a bit of national one-ups-man-ship during a search and rescue is there (sarc). Category One Cyclone forming off Christmas Island for good measure.
you're right re the race to the bottom and sadly we're involved too.
Shame as it achieves nothing other than showing how petty and high and mighty we can be as a country

Last edited by xxx000; 23-03-2014 at 02:47 PM.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #392
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...age-gives-hope

Question... would a wooden pallet be used in the cargo hold of a plane??

If it were, you would assume that something heavy were strapped it it. Meaning it would have sunk???
Transport of live animals on international flights has to be done inside wooden crates.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #393
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
you're right re the race to the bottom and sadly we're involved too.
Shame as it achieves nothing other than showing how petty and high and mighty we can be as a country
Not really, where the suspected debris is located is inside the Australian search and rescue zone, so it's actually our international obligation to head the search.
We've actually been very diplomatic about it and unlike the previous search near Malaysia, our efforts have not upset any other country - quite the opposite.

Quote:
Powered by GE
3 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #394
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Transport of live animals on international flights has to be done inside wooden crates.
I can understand the animals in crates. Do you know if wooden pallets are used to carry cargo?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #395
cram_it_frog
wombat

wooden crates with vegtables ect are put into steel crates

that is what the news people say

but the entire area is full of rubbish that has fallen off ships so untill we can see the items then they say give a more positive answer

weather is expected to be up and down for some time so this is geeting frustating for every one

I know it has been said but the families i really feel for them
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #396
nstg8a

Aircraft use big steel cages that are shaped to fill the hold, it's very common for wooden pallets to be placed inside these cages.

I wonder how much rena wreckage has floated it way over there.... They lost a boatload of containers

nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #397
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...to-mh370-pilot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ty-checks.html

News filtering through now that the mystery phone call the Pilot received just before take off, the person used a fake identity to purchase the sim card.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #398
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Bollocks, I flew our two dogs and a cat back from Aust to NZ, they were just in transport cages, no wooden crate or the cages in a wooden crate.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #399
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I can understand the animals in crates. Do you know if wooden pallets are used to carry cargo?
I helped stack some wooden pallets we sent via air-freight to Dubai, so I guess they would be on planes.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #400
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
Bollocks, I flew our two dogs and a cat back from Aust to NZ, they were just in transport cages, no wooden crate or the cages in a wooden crate.
I guess larger stuff like turtles, horses, wild animals for zoos etc would need something a little larger, hence the wooden crates.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #401
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression that this day and age satellites could track anything in real time? As in watch any of that possible debris and track it so its easier to find. I also thought they could zoom in with more clarity than in the pictures? Too many movies I guess!
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 01:58 AM   #402
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression that this day and age satellites could track anything in real time? As in watch any of that possible debris and track it so its easier to find. I also thought they could zoom in with more clarity than in the pictures? Too many movies I guess!
Definitely too many movies.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #403
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Satellites are on a pre set rotation, different satellites have different jobs, some can pick up electronic signatures, some do other things etc. They can only view/detect etc. while they are overhead that particular part of the earth, this is quite often a window only a matter of minutes long. Further to that, everyone knows where these satellites are, and when they will be overhead in each area of the earth, thus you can avoid satellites. Thus you know that satellite with ELINT capability will be overhead between 1205 and 1215 and turn off your electronics for that period of time then turn them back on etc. etc.
Old 24-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #404
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
It is very hard to retask a satellite that has minimal OMS (orbital manouvreing systems). Its the reason there are so many up there orbiting at the various altitudes (LEO, geosynchronous etc).

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #405
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Uh huh. And how long was the flight?
And considering most transport companies like Dogtainers etc have branches in both Australian cities and New Zealand I'm not surprised you could hire a crate.
The reason timber is used is because the crates are single use as they are cheaper, and they are destroyed at the other end as a matter of quarantine.
Whilst New Zealand may have a special dispensation with AQIS, I can guarantee you that all the crates I've seen with live animals going into the hold of the 777 are wooden.

Quote:
Powered by GE
4 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #406
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A question for those that know

Does the black box transmission only start to be activated if the plane crashes, like air bags going off, or is it on all the time?
The flight data and voice recorders, so called "black boxes" are actually orange for easier finding. The voice recorder may not be of much use as it usually records just the last half hour of flight deck conversation, ie a rolling half hour which is erased constantly. The flight data recorder is constantly recording most parameters of the flight, not erased I believe. Their locator beacons probably activate on reaching a certain G level like in a crash just like an emergency locator beacon (ELB).
2011 FG GTP 335 S/C. Auto, tiptronic. iPV ceramic headers, stainless hi flow cats and big bore, BMC filter, X3 tune, DBA T3 rotors, Roadhouse Performance pads. From Herrod; 100lb injectors, hi flow pump, Aeroflow fuel regulator, air to water intercooler, hi boost pulley kit, JLT breather. Hub dynoed at 598fwkw, 498rwkw, 959Nm torque, boost 10.62psi at 3750rpm (warm day). All done by iPV!
Other rides; '21 Jaguar F-Pace, '21 Ford Ranger FX4-MAX.
FPVS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #407
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
And considering most transport companies like Dogtainers etc have branches in both Australian cities and New Zealand I'm not surprised you could hire a crate.
The reason timber is used is because the crates are single use as they are cheaper, and they are destroyed at the other end as a matter of quarantine.
Whilst New Zealand may have a special dispensation with AQIS, I can guarantee you that all the crates I've seen with live animals going into the hold of the 777 are wooden.
3.5 hours, about 5 years ago, did not hire the containers, I had to buy them, they were plastic, still have them stored under the house. So no single use wooden crate.

We were on the same flight as our animals, and could see them in the plastic cages from the plane on the tarmac just before they were loaded in, they were not very happy at that stage.

So I don't believe you are correct, dogs and cages only took an hour to pass quarantine in NZ, anyway, probably of no relevance to MH 370
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

Last edited by EASYBOSS; 24-03-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 24-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #408
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

What would you know anyway ltd?

You are only a pilot after all!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #409
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVS3 View Post
The flight data and voice recorders, so called "black boxes" are actually orange for easier finding. The voice recorder may not be of much use as it usually records just the last half hour of flight deck conversation, ie a rolling half hour which is erased constantly. The flight data recorder is constantly recording most parameters of the flight, not erased I believe. Their locator beacons probably activate on reaching a certain G level like in a crash just like an emergency locator beacon (ELB).
Thanks, I was saying to the wife the other day that it would be silly if the were actually black and they should be red for easy finding, orange makes sense, still curious about the actual activation and wondering if the plane could have, dear I say it, landed/crashed in the ocean without them being activated, if the pilot having knowledge on how do to so.

Last edited by EASYBOSS; 24-03-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 24-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #410
Motorbreath310

Quote:
My mother uses Dogtainers quite frequently to ship dogs between AU and NZ. Our dogs (bulldogs) have always been shipped in plastic crates. Apparently wooden ones are used for larger varieties.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #411
nstg8a

I think you will find there's different rules between nz and aus, and aus and anywhere else, because our bio security works together a lot of the time.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #412
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Thanks, I was saying to the wife the other day that it would be silly if the were actually black and they should be red for easy finding, orange makes sense, still curious about the actual activation and wondering if the plane could have, dear I say it, landed/crashed in the ocean without them being activated, if the pilot having knowledge on how do to so.
The black-box has an inbuilt moisture sensor; as soon as it hits the water it will trigger its beacon which has a 30-60 day life span.
Time is ticking to find the black box with possibly half of its battery life already gone.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #413
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
The black-box has an inbuilt moisture sensor; as soon as it hits the water it will trigger its beacon which has a 30-60 day life span.
Time is ticking to find the black box with possibly half of its battery life already gone.
would the black box work if it's 2k plus under the sea
Old 24-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #414
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinsheepsclothing View Post
would the black box work if it's 2k plus under the sea
I believe the beacon is detectable up to 2000-4000m under water, depending on the seabed topography and weather conditions.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #415
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The RAAF has spotted new objects and the HMAS Success is trying to locate and recover now according to AMSA release. It looks like they are getting close now.

http://images.smh.com.au/file/2014/0...=1395656821113
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #416
ray38l

The Malaysian prime minister has confirmed it crashed in the Indian ocean. I can see a big investigation coming as to why it took almost 3 weeks to work that out
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #417
iCat
doof doof doof doof

So it crashed almost in the Southern Ocean. En route to where? That would be the most bizarre and improbable flight path. It just leads to more and more questions.....
Old 25-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #418
Trump
bitch lasagne

I call BS.

I was just reading the article in "The Age":

http://www.theage.com.au/world/missi...325-hvmd2.html

and this stood out:

Quote:
Australian and US experts took this information, added some assumptions about the plane’s speed, and narrowed the southern option into an area of ocean that could be realistically searched.
Assumptions? They are using fudge factors??? I thought something smelled fishy about the whole episode, this just confirmed it.

Another question I have not seen raised anywhere is the amount of fuel the plane took on at KL. That single figure would determine its ultimate flight range. Yet I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #419
iCat
doof doof doof doof

i was wondering the same Loud Noises. I didn't think it had a huge amount of fuel left once it left that last reference point to the west of Malaysia, then all of a sudden it's supposedly found down south of Perth.

I'm not 100% sure of the announcement that the flight crashed in that location. In fact i don't believe it much at all.
Old 25-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #420
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

**** this is a very bad joke, I feel for the families involved and can understand their anger. Nothing even concrete yet and they are giving them the bad news WTF. And no less but a ******* text message, it's just not right.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: