Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
why do so many people get outraged on other peoples behalf?

its a full time job in todays society it seems.
I'm guessing by you quoting my post, you are implying that I am outraged on this 2 year old's behalf??

Let's see. This 2 year old girl from QLD was having open heart surgery in NSW when the QLD border restriction was introduced. Her parents applied to QLD Health (twice) for a medical exemption from hotel quarantine so they could quarantine at their QLD home instead. They were denied both times.

Putting a 2 year old who is recovering from open heart surgery, with an underlying cardiac condition, in a hotel with others who are under quarantine from overseas travel, with a high risk of exposure to individuals who may be infected with COVID, in my humble opinion, is a stupid and unjust decision by QLD Health.

Prior to this family applying to QLD Health for a medical exemption to quarantine at home, QLD Health had granted Dannii Minogue a "medical exemption" because she is apparently 'claustrophobic', plus they also granted Brisbane Broncos Coach Anthony Seibold an exemption to quarantine at home from a trip to Sydney.

So if you were implying that I am outraged on this 2 year old's behalf, then you would be 100% correct. And I'm quite ok with that. Not my full time job though.

Last edited by GasoLane; 23-08-2020 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Not necessary
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Agreed.

Why couldn't the QLD Government grant this family the same "medical exemption" they granted Masked Singer judge Dannii Minogue and her son, who flew in from the USA (which requires a mandatory 14 day HOTEL quarantine period in QLD) and went straight to her GC home??
That's the power of status and celebrity - the rules that apply to us don't necessarily apply to them.

They have influence over traditional and social media and its getting close to election time in QLD.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
That's the power of status and celebrity - the rules that apply to us don't necessarily apply to them.

They have influence over traditional and social media and its getting close to election time in QLD.
On that theme, I'm hoping the AFL will love QLD so much they will all relocate there permanently.

3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews says the state government will seek to change state of emergency laws to allow them to be extended for up to 18 months.

The current limit is six months, which will be reached on September 13.

The new legislation will make sure tough public health directions can still be enforced well after the state of emergency ends.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...5-ee7489790677

What's the point of having legislation when you can just modify it willy nilly to suit

Here's to 2022 finally being out of lockdown.
Old 24-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s disappointing, it removes the obligation to make a good case for why there needs to be another statutory period of the original or lesser duration, enacted.
Old 24-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
That’s disappointing, it removes the obligation to make a good case for why there needs to be another statutory period of the original or lesser duration, enacted.
Election time I reckon
Old 24-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #7
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Election time I reckon
Interesting times, bad news for Victoria.
'... gives authorities the ability to suspend Acts of Parliament and take possession of properties...'
'Karen' wont be happy about the mask bit !

I suggest that an election likely won't change where he is getting his advice or if the new person would interpret the virus danger any different.

Maybe he will cancel the next election

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 24-08-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 24-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
Interesting times, bad news for Victoria.
'... gives authorities the ability to suspend Acts of Parliament and take possession of properties...'

I suggest that an election likely won't change where he is getting his advice or if the new person would interpret the virus danger any different.

Maybe he will cancel the next election
Why would he need to? The Vic Libs are a basket case. He could disappear for months on end and still win an election. He basically has no opposition.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
gooseneck
Banned

Gasolane.

That was really rude of you. I'm a new member here and I'm only trying to talk with my fellow members. Trying to become friends with them and thats how you treat me?

Technically yes its offtopic but so is every other post here about The Masked Singer. Yet you didn't remove those?

You singled me out.
Old 24-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseneck View Post
Gasolane.

That was really rude of you. I'm a new member here and I'm only trying to talk with my fellow members. Trying to become friends with them and thats how you treat me?

Technically yes its offtopic but so is every other post here about The Masked Singer. Yet you didn't remove those?

You singled me out.
Every other post about the masked singer (which were all made by you) was relevant to the thread topic and lockdown, not a general rant about bad Television.
Old 24-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...5-ee7489790677

What's the point of having legislation when you can just modify it willy nilly to suit

Here's to 2022 finally being out of lockdown.
I don't think he has the power to modify it 'willy nilly'. It will have to go through due process to get it approved. It just provides the government with some flexibility, like once they ease restrictions and if there is another outbreak, they can react quickly to contain instead of trying to deal with the legal documents then. I heard stage 4 is supported by 150 pages of legal text.
12 months seems long though....maybe extend for another 6 and see if it is still needed.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Europe seems to be heading towards more restrictive times again. Konfetka is due back around the end of September - they let her leave Oz because of costly semi-urgent dental surgery that was barely 1/4 the price in Eastern Europe. But the transit countries are apparently heavily restricting flights now; she may be stuck for some while…
Old 24-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #13
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

20,000+ Victorians have "signed up" to attend a protest next weekend against the restrictions.... WTF?!?! I see Avi is on twitter trying to drum up more support.

Whilst outdoor gatherings seem to be less risky, why would you risk it with only 2 weeks to go and we have the numbers trending where we need it to be?

I don't know how the gov is going to stop 20,000. Maybe temporarily stop PT and block all traffic into the city.

20,000 fines at $1,600 is a $32m payday
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
20,000+ Victorians have "signed up" to attend a protest next weekend against the restrictions.... WTF?!?! I see Avi is on twitter trying to drum up more support.

Whilst outdoor gatherings seem to be less risky, why would you risk it with only 2 weeks to go and we have the numbers trending where we need it to be?

I don't know how the gov is going to stop 20,000. Maybe temporarily stop PT and block all traffic into the city.

What do you mean 'WTF?' - you don't see anything wrong with an authoritarian government continually putting off parliament and modifying legislation to suit it's agenda?
3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #15
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
20,000+ Victorians have "signed up" to attend a protest next weekend against the restrictions.... WTF?!?!....only 2 weeks to go and we have the numbers trending where we need it to be?
I was thinking the same on the downward trend, quietly hoping that the Vics were seeing some improvement and less need for 12 months extension.
Old 25-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #16
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And 20,000 Court Elections would block up the Courts for a couple of years.
Old 24-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #17
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

210 new cases for Australia and 17 deaths sees the CMR rise to 2.023% although active cases dropped to 5,077. NSW recorded 4 cases; Queensland recorded 2 cases; WA and SA recorded 1 each with the balance in Victoria. Australia passes 500 deaths.

3 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.314% and active cases rise to 114.

The UK had 1,041 new cases and (supposedly) 6 deaths yesterday for a CMR of 12.722% although we know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines.

Just under 44k new cases in the USA yesterday and 974 deaths sees CMR fall to 3.084% and active cases remain at 43.0% with the raw numbers rising again. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
The USA completes 76M, India 35M, Russia 34M and Italy 8M tests;

Greece (283) and South Korea (397) recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 24-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #18
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I came across this doco last night on SBS, it covers off some interesting stuff about what they know of coronavirus so far.

Worth a watch

Quote:
In this BBC special, Chris van Tulleken, Hannah Fry and Michael Mosley examine the latest research and explore some of the big questions about this virus and the pandemic it has created. It’s been just 133 days since scientists sequenced the genome of the coronavirus. Thousands of research papers have been published and sophisticated models built that have changed millions of lives. But some basic facts about the SARs-CoV-2 virus and the pandemic it’s caused still seem elusive. Drawing on the world’s experts and the latest research, Chris, Hannah and Michael explore what we really know - and what we don’t - about this deadly virus.
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/vide...avirus-special
Old 24-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #19
.:4:.
Kicking back

I was speaking to a mate who works at large establishment, and the way they manage the situation i find interesting. So any patron can only access 1 area of the place in 24 hours. So for example, if you go to a restaurant, you can not say go play the pokies afterwards, that has to wait untill the next day.
Old 24-08-2020, 07:38 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

'safe as houses'
Old 24-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #21
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately people have overinflated expectations of aged-care facilities.
For many years I was an auditor and consultant to the industry. I still have contacts and from what I can see things have not improved.

Traditionally these industries were dominated by Church-based and Other Charitable based organisations. Increased demand necessitated increased private involvement, but there is just no way to make a buck.
I did the analysis on a proposal to build a 100-bed state of the art dementia care facility. And the inescapable conclusion was that (not even considering the millions in investment) the facility would lose money.

The income is fixed. The govt determines the level of funding for each patient, and they can then also charge a fixed percentage of the age-pension. Leaving residents with a pittance in pocket money. It's a probably a good thing to prevent charges getting out of hand, but its virtually impossible to run a facility on the income available.
The result is food I wouldn't feed my dogs, lack of maintenance, poorly trained and over-worked staff.

Hostels, which are a rung below "Nursing Homes" are the worst.
There's always some ACA story slamming Hostel staff somewhere, but what most people don't understand is that Hostels are not equipt or funded to provide personal care.
By definition, to reside in a Hostel, the resident must be ambulatory, mentally aware, and able to look after themselves including ablutions and hygiene. Hostels are funded to provide accommodation, meals, cleaning, and laundry, and that's it. They don't employ nursing staff, they employ domestics.
Unfortunately hostels have many residents that simply shouldn't be there, but should be in higher level care. Unqualified domestic staff are then forced to act as personal carers. Many of them are poorly educated and often from non-English backgrounds. Most are genuinely nice people, doing their best in a busted system. But its no wonder diseases go through these places like a dose of the salts.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Dazz, I can’t ever blame the staff. As you point out, the fiscal side of things calls the shots. We are fortunate, my family, to be tied in with a (religious) provider whose track record is exemplary. But I also know this exemplary venue is under internal pressures to make more money; they would like to develop the site and condense its populace into medium rise.
Old 24-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Two women caught breaching coronavirus restrictions by operating a “brothel” in suburban Adelaide have been fined.

Junhua Liu, 50, and Su Cheng Lai, 70, were sentenced separately in the Port Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday.

The court heard four women were charged after an undercover police officer visited a premises at Croydon Park, north of the Adelaide CBD, in May.
70?!

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...652cb62141bb84
Old 24-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #24
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
At 70, she knows how you please the man...experience
Old 26-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Well.. you know how they say Asians don't age like the rest of us...

50 and 70... hmmm probably not many around that age, they have the whole bloody market to themselves.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 24-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #26
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Unfortunately people have overinflated expectations of aged-care facilities.
For many years I was an auditor and consultant to the industry. I still have contacts and from what I can see things have not improved.

It wasn't that long ago we looked after every member of our families.
This included looking after our elderly parents.

We now lock them up in aged care cause we all lead "busy lives".

Strangers "caring" for your family in a profit motivated establishment will never end well.

Look after your own parents, look after your own kids yourself instead of bullcrap child care.....you will survive Covid a lot better...might cost you the annual Bali holiday and the fancy home theatre room (and smashed avocado)
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #27
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
It wasn't that long ago we looked after every member of our families.
This included looking after our elderly parents.

We now lock them up in aged care cause we all lead "busy lives".

Look after your own parents
It's not an easy job particularly if they have dementia. It's not uncommon for aged care nurses to end up quite badly injured. I know of one nurse who had a dementia patient fall on her and she ended up with spinal and pelvis injuries, she wasn't able to work again, heck she's barely able to walk.

Have you seen people try and care for parents with dementia?

Old 25-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #28
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I basically do it 24/7. Strength and the ability to function on not much sleep, are prerequisites. :/
Old 25-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #29
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like the point of contention on the State of Emergency extension is the length of time, rather than the actual content. At this stage looking unlikely to get through upper house.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...25-p55oyo.html

So how are other states enforcing social distancing and limits on crowd gatherings without "State of Emergency" measures? Or are they still under "State of Emergency" but no one is crying about it? Or don't they even need "State of Emergency" to enforce the rules?
Old 25-08-2020, 09:56 PM   #30
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
It's not an easy job particularly if they have dementia. It's not uncommon for aged care nurses to end up quite badly injured. I know of one nurse who had a dementia patient fall on her and she ended up with spinal and pelvis injuries, she wasn't able to work again, heck she's barely able to walk.

Have you seen people try and care for parents with dementia?
You betcha Leesa, my wife and I cared for her mother who had dementia....5 years
We then cared for her father who had an immune disorder then dementia....4 years
We cared for her brother who had lung cancer....2 years

We did not break any pelvises and did not get any injuries by looking after our family...we were very well prepared as two of my sons are doctors.

I hate nursing homes with a passion, hate the concept...and I hate the thinly veiled money grab that makes them inconsistent with "care".

Yeah..yeah...the nurses all mean well...but multinationals and shareholders run most of them and that makes me sick....it's all about money.

If our family were alive now they would not be at risk of Covid-19 infection as they would not be in a wholesale aged care meat factory....not on my watch.

Our family members died at home, with dignity.
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread