Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2022, 04:13 PM   #31
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Default Re: Ever Lost your Brakes in your car.

Three times....
First time, hurtling into a roundabout, went for the brakes at the last second, pop noise and the booster stopped boosting...... thank god I didnt have any traffic to deal with
Second time, hurtling into a T intersection well and truly faster than was advisable, hard on the brakes..... wiped off a bit of speed but brake fade cut in...... **** **** **** **** dropped enough gears to lock the back end up and slide it around the corner...
Third time, same intersection, even more speed, same reaction and same results.
Clearly never gonna learn that lesson.....

BLAT Racing, brake late and turn!
Old 06-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #32
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guy's
love the story Allan Moffat told about Jacky Ickx in 1977 at Bathurst.
It was practice on Friday and Jacky Ickx took Allans Ford Falcon out to do a few fast laps ang get some practice in.

He brought the car back after 2 laps and said to Allan " The Brakes dont work Allan".
Allan took the car around the track and returned to the pits and said to Jacky Ickx " The Brakes work I didnt say they were going to stop the car Jacky they just slow it down".

In the 1977 race as many of you know Jacky Ickx used up the Brakes in the later part of the race and Allan Moffat finished the race with out any brakes.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #33
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi Guy's
love the story Allan Moffat told about Jacky Ickx in 1977 at Bathurst.
It was practice on Friday and Jacky Ickx took Allans Ford Falcon out to do a few fast laps ang get some practice in.

He brought the car back after 2 laps and said to Allan " The Brakes dont work Allan".
Allan took the car around the track and returned to the pits and said to Jacky Ickx " The Brakes work I didnt say they were going to stop the car Jacky they just slow it down".

In the 1977 race as many of you know Jacky Ickx used up the Brakes in the later part of the race and Allan Moffat finished the race with out any brakes.
Without any brakes ? I am sure he had brakes but just that they did not perform as well as they should of. Maybe it was the rear that were still only working more so ?
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2022, 05:09 PM   #34
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

His brakes were stuffed that's why Bondy caught up so quickly and we all know about the famous 1-2 finish and the legend it spawned. I was there what a week. Now Allan didn't learn because he got Ickx back next year and when he went off at the Hell corner slip road he over revved the engine causing it's demise .
He was well known for his many le Mans victories at the time but i suspect he never really knew what that Ford victory would come to mean in the land down under.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #35
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought I'd lost my brakes once,

but then I found em, right where I left them.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2022, 02:14 PM   #36
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gimme a brake
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2022, 02:59 PM   #37
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of places only use DOT 3 brake fluid in fact.

A mate had his car serviced by Holden for it's 2yo service and being smart he got them to do the brake oil change. It was a VZ SS ute 6sp manual with mod to exhaust and more to engine and slotted holed rotors but same size with Bendix top shelf Altimate pads on it, so it would stop. as this dude is full on nut hooking in.
So I following behind him getting a wriggle on and he shoots pass across the path of a highway and I am like what the hell did you do that for ! and he said the brake peddle just went directly to the floor, he could of been dead or others involved !

I worked out it was Holden who put DOT 3 in it ! he could of been killed so easy or others !

But if you put your concerns to the party who put DOT 3 in, one would not have a leg to stand on, they could not care less about such safety issues at all in fact.

I think that they may of moved up from the caveman mentality days of late, when the big brakes came about in the VE Commodore's 2006 etc maybe ? but I am very carful to let anyone touch my cars from 1990's on.

I have had arguments with mechanics over DOT 3 they will not use DOT 4 regardless, they claim it's not needed and etc etc
Old 13-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
A lot of places only use DOT 3 brake fluid in fact.

A mate had his car serviced by Holden for it's 2yo service and being smart he got them to do the brake oil change. It was a VZ SS ute 6sp manual with mod to exhaust and more to engine and slotted holed rotors but same size with Bendix top shelf Altimate pads on it, so it would stop. as this dude is full on nut hooking in.
So I following behind him getting a wriggle on and he shoots pass across the path of a highway and I am like what the hell did you do that for ! and he said the brake peddle just went directly to the floor, he could of been dead or others involved !

I worked out it was Holden who put DOT 3 in it ! he could of been killed so easy or others !

But if you put your concerns to the party who put DOT 3 in, one would not have a leg to stand on, they could not care less about such safety issues at all in fact.

I think that they may of moved up from the caveman mentality days of late, when the big brakes came about in the VE Commodore's 2006 etc maybe ? but I am very carful to let anyone touch my cars from 1990's on.

I have had arguments with mechanics over DOT 3 they will not use DOT 4 regardless, they claim it's not needed and etc etc
WTF are you even talking about?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #39
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
WTF are you even talking about?
How many people have been killed, is a non issue, if you would want to kill someone just go put DOT 3 in a high performing car.

DOT 3 has a boiling point and as soon as that is reached you have no brakes at all, not to mention the reason you change the fluid is that over time the contaminates build up and this reduce the boiling point.

Every car that I bought back in the 70 and on that was 2ed hand car had a glop crud in the brake master cylinder. I take the fluid out of the bowl first and then full it up and then I start getting rid of the fluid in the lines.

So when you have taken the fluid out of the bowl you may see a lump of crud gel blob, I get a rag and wipe that all out clean, before I start.
Old 15-05-2022, 09:30 PM   #40
123Cat
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had brakes fail on Alfa 1600

and an HQ

and an ED

and my sons bike ,

he had to go to the dentist
Old 15-05-2022, 09:41 PM   #41
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am I the only one that thinks Mick Taylor has vivid dreams?
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2022, 09:57 PM   #42
JKL

Had the booster go on xbgt, come to a set of lights, lucky I was first in que, virtually no brakes at all lucky I had manual and could use the gears. Does give you a fright when you think you have brakes but have none….
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2022, 10:52 PM   #43
cdtoaster
Starter Motor

Once but not fully and with fortuitous timing, I had just finished a return run through mt nebo and glorious. Literally out of the last corner heading back into the gap the brake light comes on. The pedal pushed right through and only had a bit of bite right at the end. It turns out the people who had serviced it hadn’t bled the brake system properly and it boiled, I also found out one of the wheels didn’t that the lug nuts tightened. Had it happened coming into a corner I would have gone into the rail.
cdtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2022, 11:28 PM   #44
.:4:.
Kicking back

Never had brakes fail before, well once but that was when a trailer spat a pad. But im well versed in brake fade. Not race car stuff, but towing. So obviously towing heavier things for long distances, yeah your brakes cop a workout. So thats when being responsible and driving to suit the extra in tow. Where theres no traffic, when you know your brakes are going away, its fine. When your in traffic with the knowledge that your brakes are going away you leave extra space between you and the car in front. In a perfect world that would be sweet. Real world, other drivers see that space as a gap to jump into which creates an oh **** moment.
Im not throwing shade on any particular car. Ive towed with fords, mazdas, toyotas, isuzus, mitsubisi's and benzs. Im not including 20+ year old cars because non maintenanced things, well, enough about that. But yeah, loading something up and putting the kays on it, trailer brakes help, but even driving responsibly, your brakes go away. Maybe not as quick as say taking your car on a track day. The only car on my list of non specific mentioned cars that has had any form of brake upgrade is my car, and thats just slotted rotors and pads. Killed 3 sets of standard style front rotors towing before that minor update.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2022, 10:20 AM   #45
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Note to self......................buy some new brake pads today.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2022, 02:36 PM   #46
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Mick Taylor has vivid dreams?
Recollection of the facts of the mater and put it forward as to why such was or is so.
I was like what the f*#% was my mate doing going across the highway like that on the UHF and he said the peddle just went to the floor, he had no brakes, Me ok that's got to do with brake fluid has boiling point has been reached, so he informed me the brake fluid had just been changed. Bingo !

Is it only me that thinks such as brakes is in fact a serious issue ! that is not to be ignorant at all about, it's the main issue above all one may say.

Is such fit for the job that could be at hand ? would one put DOT 3 in a GT-HO and std type pads ? if one did would be a greatest chance of being killed because of such ignorance in fact.

Even EH Holden S4 got up graded front drum brake pad material !

Some clown may state look my car has 4 wheel disk ! So ! I had such on my new XG and a mate took it to the shops and got brake fade, said he thought he was going to smash for sure. that was the brake material that was the problem. the car was to powerful for the pad material. So I had to find Pad material that could handle that sort of power.

Old mate bought a VF SSV 375KW he up graded to the Cop pack brakes, I said they were crap and that he needed the top shelf the way he drives as the Cop pack were total rubbish with that much power.
Old 18-05-2022, 02:56 PM   #47
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Never had brakes fail before, well once but that was when a trailer spat a pad. But im well versed in brake fade. Not race car stuff, but towing. So obviously towing heavier things for long distances, yeah your brakes cop a workout. So thats when being responsible and driving to suit the extra in tow. Where theres no traffic, when you know your brakes are going away, its fine. When your in traffic with the knowledge that your brakes are going away you leave extra space between you and the car in front. In a perfect world that would be sweet. Real world, other drivers see that space as a gap to jump into which creates an oh **** moment.
Im not throwing shade on any particular car. Ive towed with fords, mazdas, toyotas, isuzus, mitsubisi's and benzs. Im not including 20+ year old cars because non maintenanced things, well, enough about that. But yeah, loading something up and putting the kays on it, trailer brakes help, but even driving responsibly, your brakes go away. Maybe not as quick as say taking your car on a track day. The only car on my list of non specific mentioned cars that has had any form of brake upgrade is my car, and thats just slotted rotors and pads. Killed 3 sets of standard style front rotors towing before that minor update.
When the Asbestos was banned from brake pads, that's the years when the real problems started that people lacked brake performance.

What also happened with the anti-Asb pad is they tend to glaze the rotors and this does not help, so this is were the slotted disc come in so as to deal with the glazing better.

If you have a stock type pad material and you reach high temps like can be reached going down big hilly conditions or drive real hard the stock type pad material can gouge out your rotors and with such heat this eats your pads faster and can chew them out much quicker than one will believe.
So HD type pads are recommended for hills and towing, but driving fast needs a different type of HD again that deals with high speed.
Old 18-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Can we please keep this thread on the topic of loosing your brakes and not on story time, pad composition or fluid types.
Old 18-05-2022, 03:18 PM   #49
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Can we please keep this thread on the topic of loosing your brakes and not on story time, pad composition or fluid types.
and whether or not UHF radio's were around in the 70's !

Old 02-06-2022, 09:13 PM   #50
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Darwin, about 2017, went out 4wding in my Disco. Got bogged to my eyeballs for a few hours with a few mates and needed some pretty significant recovering. I didn't realise but the amount of mud/silt which had settled in the wheels from being stuck on the body in mud had essentially solidified, so when I was pulled out one of the brake calliper retaining bolts sheered as the wheel attempted to turn full of 'cement'. I didn't realise as the short drive to the main road was slow, and didn't use the brakes. I pulled onto the main road, get up to speed and continue for a few minutes until I get to the highway intersection and need to come to a stop. I press on the pedal and I recall a vague knock and loud scraping noise with very limited slowing down. I hit the pedal a couple more times and realised the car wasn't stopping, so I used the hand brake (it grabs the rear drive shaft in a Disco) and put the car in neutral. I had to get on the horn to my mate in front for him to move through the intersection so I didn't rear end him. It was fairly late at night and Darwin, so no traffic to be worried about. Once I came to a stop, the car took a lot of throttle to get to move and the front left wheel was locked up. In reverse the car was fine though. I ended up limping it to the side of the road and checked it out. I had sheered the second bolt, the calliper came loose, jammed itself against the disc and rim and tore the brake line.

Ended up limping it home with a mate in front, and one behind using the CB to give me an idea on traffic and if the lights were green or red. Couple of bolts and a brake line from the wreckers and was back out the next weekend.

Certainly an experience I will remember.
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 04:43 PM   #51
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Just watching this reminded me of this thread. Good advice on stored cars and hydraulic brakes.