Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #31
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I was at the game where the officers used the spray. There was absolutley nothing wrong with the way the crowd were acting FFS - they were chanting. Total over-reaction by the Officers involved. Old people and kids were hit with it in their eyes (And I hope they sue the crap out of the Officers). The players were disgusted by the officers action and even said so after the match. They said they had never seen anything like it before and it was totally unwarranted - can't believe these Officers are going to get away with it! (notice I keep saying Officers, as you cant put the police all in one basket).

Felt like communist Russia - "ve dont like the way you are singing, so we are going to blast capsicum spray indiscriminantly into the crowd".
From what was said on the news they were responding to complaints made by people that a few people were making disgusting remarks. They were only interested in those people who had gone to far and when trying to question them one officer was assaulted.

If I had have been pushed to the ground by three men I would have gone for the nightstick not the spray.
Old 17-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #32
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

comparing summer nats to tennis = LOL!
Old 17-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #33
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

I was at the game and as far as racist comments go I didn't hear much but this mob was chanting too much between points and taking too long to quieten down. I think the police intially went over to tell them to relax a bit and then sure enough, as I expected there were the typical tough guys who can't resist showing off in front of a crowd and started being smart ar$es to the police. They weren't listening to them so the police came back during the next break to get these people out and they refused, moving away and then some even started lunging at them so the only thing I thouught the police did wrong was not spray enough of these clowns. There was no repsect at all and the behaviour was something you would expect at the soccer not tennis. And for the innocent people that were hit with the spray, don't blame the coppers but the certain ethnic crowd that decided to turn it into such a scene. Was funny because as soon as we walked in couple of my mates said how long before they're out.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Old 17-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #34
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question

Account 1
Quote:
I was at the game where the officers used the spray. There was absolutley nothing wrong with the way the crowd were acting FFS - they were chanting. Total over-reaction by the Officers involved. Old people and kids were hit with it in their eyes (And I hope they sue the crap out of the Officers). The players were disgusted by the officers action and even said so after the match. They said they had never seen anything like it before and it was totally unwarranted - can't believe these Officers are going to get away with it! (notice I keep saying Officers, as you cant put the police all in one basket).

Felt like communist Russia - "ve dont like the way you are singing, so we are going to blast capsicum spray indiscriminantly into the crowd".
Account 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo_xrsx_oO
I was at the game and as far as racist comments go I didn't hear much but this mob was chanting too much between points and taking too long to quieten down. I think the police intially went over to tell them to relax a bit and then sure enough, as I expected there were the typical tough guys who can't resist showing off in front of a crowd and started being smart ar$es to the police. They weren't listening to them so the police came back during the next break to get these people out and they refused, moving away and then some even started lunging at them so the only thing I thouught the police did wrong was not spray enough of these clowns. There was no repsect at all and the behaviour was something you would expect at the soccer not tennis. And for the innocent people that were hit with the spray, don't blame the coppers but the certain ethnic crowd that decided to turn it into such a scene. Was funny because as soon as we walked in couple of my mates said how long before they're out.
Massive difference in the accounts of events here.

I'm wondering what your relative ages are?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 17-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #35
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

GK
I'm 23 GK, all for the chanting and athmosphere, it was great before and just at the start of the game, you don't want to see stuff like this banned for any sport however a few going too far cause all to be painted with the same brush.

I was sitting to the left a few blocks of seats away so I believe I saw and heard most of what was going on. If people believe it was an overreaction by the police walk down Swanston street and charge toward the first police officer you see and throw your bottle of water all over them and then see what happens.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Old 17-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #36
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

GK
I'm 27 GK - I guess it depends on the way you look at it. IMO the crowd were chanting, having a good time and getting involved. Nothing wrong with that - it creates an awesome atmosphere. Go to any other tennis nation and this is what happens. When did Australians become SO conservative that we can't enjoy a song? The fun police have already killed cricket, now they they are targeting tennis it seems.

The officers should never have gone over in the first place - if you pay $100+ for a ticket and all you do wrong is sing I'm sure many of you would also have a few choice words to say when someone tried to evict you. By all means evict them if they be a smartarse to the police - but why not call down 3 or 4 Officers and lead them away in cuffs (say like they would do at any other major sporting event). To just spray capsicum spray randonly into the crowd is disgusting behaviour.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 17-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #37
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its tennis guys!!! brings some excitement into the game! you can sit there for 4 hours or whatever watching only 1 girl run around with a stick wacking a ball to another chick with a stick wacking a ball... the novelty wears off pretty quick
Old 17-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #38
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Quote:
I'm 27 GK - I guess it depends on the way you look at it. IMO the crowd were chanting, having a good time and getting involved. Nothing wrong with that - it creates an awesome atmosphere. Go to any other tennis nation and this is what happens. When did Australians become SO conservative that we can't enjoy a song? The fun police have already killed cricket, now they they are targeting tennis it seems.

The officers should never have gone over in the first place - if you pay $100+ for a ticket and all you do wrong is sing I'm sure many of you would also have a few choice words to say when someone tried to evict you. By all means evict them if they be a smartarse to the police - but why not call down 3 or 4 Officers and lead them away in cuffs (say like they would do at any other major sporting event). To just spray capsicum spray randonly into the crowd is disgusting behaviour.
Atmosphere was great and people were enjoying the songs and chants it was the fact they were taking too long to quieten down during play. One copper went in originally and no-one would listen to him so he did as you suggested and came back with a few others to help and these people still refused to be led away. I have videos of both the first intervention and when they returned and this shows how the police were being pushed around and having stuff thrown at them. They only used the spray twice and they were direct hits, no random spraying by any means. What about the people who paid for their tickets (btw only $30 for a ground pass) and had to put up with this rubbish?

Old 17-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #39
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they put up with it? :P
Old 17-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #40
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

haha yeah see what your saying I admit we enjoyed watching it but not fair for the younger families etc, no doubt they liked all the chanting etc but not when it got out of hand

Old 17-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #41
kremmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Tennis is not for spoilt brats
Yes it is. Its incredibly expensive. My mate is a tennis coach on the Gold Coast and the amount he charges is insane.

Andre Agassi's parents had spent 4 million dollars on his training before he turned 18.

Thats not spoilt?
Old 17-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #42
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no thats just... enthusiastic parents.. lol

i had tennis lessons.. but i never liked it.. id much rather do downhill mtbking or somthing.. much cheaper too.. unless you want a Santa cruz or custom cannondale... but still not 4million
Old 17-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #43
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremmen
Yes it is. Its incredibly expensive. My mate is a tennis coach on the Gold Coast and the amount he charges is insane.

Andre Agassi's parents had spent 4 million dollars on his training before he turned 18.

Thats not spoilt?
spoilt brats is a kid that gets sh*tloads spent on him/her and they just accept it as the norm and aren't grateful for it.

i'm sure if you asked andre about his parents support he would tell you he is more than grateful for it. and i am sure he has re-embersed them nicely
Old 17-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #44
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8
hit the nail on the head.

nobody is wanting the nats banned, just the drunken behavior stamped out
Think again....the world actually extends beyond car people.

There are quite a large number of residents in the area around where Summernats is held that have pushed for the events end.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 18-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #45
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo_xrsx_oO
They only used the spray twice and they were direct hits, no random spraying by any means. What about the people who paid for their tickets (btw only $30 for a ground pass) and had to put up with this rubbish?
If they were direct hits why did half the grandstand clear out and 6 people - including women and children get treated by ambo's? The cowardly policeman ran down the steps, shoved the spray in the guys face then ran back up the steps - meanwhile the wind blew it into innocent people.

Bloody if you (the poeple that complained, probably grumpy conservative old timers) can't handle some "disgusting" chants (which the players said wern't offensive) maybe they should watch the tennis in the comfort of their loungeroom. Everyone else liked the atmosphere of the crowd.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #46
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But why cant 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gen Greek Australians assimilate like all the other Euros?

If u ban them, then ban the fanatics with their crap chants too.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #47
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that banning full strength beer would be a great idea for the nats actually.. Booze is the cause pretty much of all the problems the nats have. Light beer isnt too bad, its a little thin but it still tastes pretty much the same. if you ban full strength it would make the day longer too
Old 18-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #48
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO_SP
Yes nobody cares about tennis :

Then theres the reason why we don't care about tennis...

:togo:
Old 18-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #49
gozza

someone should to a photoshop of Amelie's Top Picture with a battle axe - ready to hack a head off
Old 18-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #50
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AHAHA would be great, send it to her fan site or somthing lol
Old 18-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #51
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

capsicum spray was never going to be a good idea with the wind and that many people around.

night stick to the collar bone would have done the trick.
Old 18-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #52
Bax
Projecting

Lets look at it simply.

Problems at tennis and the next day on the radio I hear them talking about not selling full strength alcohol or restricting it to some extent.

Problems at summernats and the next day I don't hear anything about changing the event, just a court case.

The point being that it looks as though tennis wants to change, whereas summernats isn't doing anything.
Old 19-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #53
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Skeletons out of the closet, but I was at the Baghdatis V Safin match last night and Baghdatis' supporters chanted almost after every point.
The chair umpire should not have the tell them to be quiet every 3 minutes...to me, it shows a lack of respect for the players, the sport and the other spectators.

Too often, the players had to wait until the supporters shut up before playing. Safin obviously thought they were little pi$sants as he ignored them, branding them insignificant in his own mind and got on with the match.

I had to put up with that arrogance with such people at High School...I don't believe I should have to put up with it past adolescence!

Don't snap my undies.
Old 19-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #54
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the chants targeting the Chilian players sexuality? The word 'Busti' (I think that's it) is equivalent to a three letter word starting with F. If it had been me in the crowd shouting out said three letter word it would not be tolerated (as it shouldn't) and I would have been dealt with accordingly. Just because it's said in a different language, doesn't make it any less disrespectful or acceptable.

I doubt many of those Greek fans went in to the match to watch the 'tennis' as many didn't seem like the tennis appreciating type. More likely they went in to 'show boat' their native country and in the process embarrassed their adopted/birth country.

It really gets to me when you have these morons acting all macho... Greeks, Serbians, Croatians (tennis offenders), bringing up past injustices/rivalries between countries when most of them haven't even been to their respective countries. They speak with an Aussie accent, go to the same schools, work together, live next door to each other etc. Why act like a d!ck when sports stars come to town? Because mob mentality sets in, you're noticed by the crowd and if you really go hard (attack police) you make the news...d!ckheads!
Old 19-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #55
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

simple formula.

More insignificant parents/grandparents euro country = more macho
Like they have to make up for it.
Old 19-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #56
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
Then theres the reason why we don't care about tennis...

:togo:
Haha the tele goes off when that happens...
Old 19-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #57
dave289
Banned

Trouble making scum with no intensions of watching the tennis and every intension of causing trouble and ruinning it for every one else.Its not "who let the dogs out"its "who let the dogs in".
Old 19-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #58
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 
Default Go Casey !

Now on a positive note:

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=345840

Quote:
Unheralded Casey Dellacqua held her nerve while French former world No.1 Amelie Mauresmo faltered as the Australian continued her giant-killing run at the Australian Open.

The 22-year-old West Australian moved into the fourth round of the tournament - where she will meet third-seeded Serb Jelena Jankovic - as well as taking the mantle as Australia's top-ranked female player.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 19-01-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 20-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #59
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Trouble making scum with no intensions of watching the tennis and every intension of causing trouble and ruinning it for every one else.Its not "who let the dogs out"its "who let the dogs in".
Why are they scum? because they're not passives and they show their support outside of the norm?
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
Old 20-01-2008, 02:51 AM   #60
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

for the 24/7 bullshit that goes on on the TV, i reckon tennis players and supporters alike should be given the same treatment that child molesters get in jail

no way in hell can thier pathetic excuse for a sport be worth the $$ they get