Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #31
fordv8!

they seem quite a good car
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #32
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Majority of hondas we see appear to be good quality finish and good quality running if maintained, the V6 a few years ago had cranks that would snap pretty easily id maintenance was lacking, ie oil changes not carried out
Parts can be more expensive

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #33
BOSHOG
avenge me

part prices only matter if you need them, which is rare with a honda or toyota compared to a holden or ford
Old 28-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #34
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of their range is overpriced. The civic for example is a rip-off, old design, made in Thailand and cannot compete with a Mazda 3, Kia Cerato, Hyundai i30, Ford Focus, or Holden Cruze.

Also the Honda City is a way too expensice. Your getting a micro Thai made sedan for the price of a larger and smarter japanese Mazda 3.

Apart from the Accord Euro, there is not a single Honda I would recommend. Their heavy focus on the US market has dulled the sharpness, value and quality they used to excel in. They are still trading on the reputation they gained from the cars they made in the late 80s and early 90s and do not deserve the prices they charge at the moment.

Honda to me is one of the most dissapointing car brands in the world at the moment. Hyundai and Kia has more of my respect as a vehicle manufacturer than Honda.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
what is your belief damo - are they a reliable and well built car
I actually work for a Honda dealership as a apprentice motor mechanic : and my only experience with them is driving cars around our car park at around 5km/h or driving a 2010 CRV back from pre delivery around the corner to our dealership. When I first started, I didn't really think much of Honda and their cars, but they really do grow on you. I quite like the interior of the Accord Euro and it handles quite nicely (My workshop manager took me for a spin in the service managers car ). The stock sound system kicks ***, on the base model it comes with the ususal 6 speakers plus a sub, 6 stacker CD etc.

Everything seems put together really nicely, though one thing I really don't agree with is putting the fuel filter inside the fuel tank (in the Civics I've seen so far), so to replace them at the 80,000km mark, you need to pull the back seat out of the car to get to the fuel tank, then unscrew the filter and it comes out as one whole unit with the relay and pump sitting inside the filter, swap over a new filter then put all the other stuff back into the filter itself and put it all back together. This is a real bastard on the Civic Hybrid because of the batteries in the rear, you have to drop the fuel tank from under the car and take off all the lines going to it to get to the filter.

So far we haven't seen many cars come in with huge problems, except for a few new Accord Euros (autos) with leaking gearbox and rarely you get a dodgy Thiland built new Civic with a knock at idle, which means we replace the whole short motor.

I'd say they are a reliable and well built car from what I have experienced, like every manufacturer, you get some dodgy cars from production line come through every now and again.

I don't know about other Honda dealerships but at ours, all the staff have a dress code, so all the reception staff, salesmen, finance people etc, all the people who sit at desks or deal with customers wear suit and tie. We have a lounge area just in front of the service reception area with couches, a Big TV, a $7000 coffee machine which you put a glass under it and press what you want and it makes it for you which everyone is allowed to use, computers with the internet for anyone to use, big windows into our workshop so you can see your car being worked on, etc. If you haven't been to a dealership like ours before, its an experience you'll enjoy.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #36
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
part prices only matter if you need them, which is rare with a honda or toyota compared to a holden or ford

Absolutely. When we were looking at the Honda's (when we bought the Mini) we were not concerned with the price of spares, that is what warranty is for.

They do have an awesome reputation for reliability and from my research with owners of Honda's that I know, deservedly so. This is not something I can say about my Fords over the last three that I have owned. Also anyone knocking Honda's for the cost of spares obviously has not replaced too many parts on a FPV, $700 for a grille, $700 for a bumper insert, $350 for a foglight surround, $2500+ for front pads and rotors, nearly $800 for a wheel, need I go on?

My biggest hang up with the Civic Type R (which is Jap built) was the lack of low down torque, you have to work the box to keep it in the sweet spot which is quite high in the rev range. This fact made the mini more of a pleasure to drive. Yes the handling is great, but I would not say the overall package is any where near Evo levels, certainly on par with Focus XR5, Golf GTI and WRX though, just lacking power.
Old 28-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #37
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Most of their range is overpriced. The civic for example is a rip-off, old design, made in Thailand and cannot compete with a Mazda 3, Kia Cerato, Hyundai i30, Ford Focus, or Holden Cruze.
IMO the Cruze looks a ripoff of the Civic.

Holden Cruze

Honda Civic
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #38
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I've often wondered what I would buy if my next car was to be a non Ford and I must admit Honda often crosses my mind. I have an image of very well engineered and reliable cars with adequate performance but not enough to excite me.

The Accord Euro would be on my list. The only real whinge I have visually is the chrome grille is just too much. Other than that it's a good looker. I've never driven one but people who have reckon they're a great car but a bit underpowered.

18 months ago we were shopping for a car for my wife and we drove the Civic. Neither of us liked it. For me the really long raked windscreen, the huge dash pad and the split dash instruments made the nose seem really long and it almost felt like I was sitting in the back seat. It just scrambled my sense of where things should be so we passed on it.

In my mind Honda has a good reputation all round.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #39
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Now thats a tuff hatchback

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #40
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I personally think Honda is the Ford of Japan! :P Anyways, The Accord Euro (2010 + model) is the pick of the bunch - been for a ride in one and apart from interior design, I could honestly say I'd have one over a G6 (but not a G6E / T - Piano Black is to die for!) Ride is superb, perhaps too soft for Aust. roads unlike locally engineered Falc/Commo. Handling (i've been told) is well and truly on par with the best - though could use more grunt!

All in all - I really like Honda... except the CR-V... Yuck.
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #41
LukeyST
ST fan

A mate has an 05 (DC5) Integra Type S.

Handling, economy, build quality etc. are exceptional. It revs to the moon too, but it has to be revved to the moon to make what power it has (although it does feel like more than the quoted ~155kw, short gearing and low driveline losses would help). Straight line performance is pretty good, but not great, but its not what the car is about. The handling is awesome, throw it at some twisty mountain roads and if you keep it up in the 'power-band' (V-tec, yo) you'll leave most cars for dead.

Looks come down to personal opinion, i like the front of the DC5's but overall i think the DC2 integra's are a better looking car. Also, the rear seats are pretty useless if you're passengers are over 4ft tall.

If you can get past the FWD thing, they are a great car.
Old 28-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #42
kezzer

No idea with the cars, but the dirt bikes they make are incredibly good value, I enduro race a CRF 450 with some small mods and it's been kind to for the past 6 years, 15,000km without an engine rebuild so far (which is damn good for a dirt bike), also own a 250xr now approaching 15 years and she still goes alright. They are built to last.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #43
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
No idea with the cars, but the dirt bikes they make are incredibly good value, I enduro race a CRF 450 with some small mods and it's been kind to for the past 6 years, 15,000km without an engine rebuild so far (which is damn good for a dirt bike), also own a 250xr now approaching 15 years and she still goes alright. They are built to last.
You Know of Scriven Racing?
Old 28-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #44
cycle myth

I thought they were the hard core, high quality, tech innovators (engines, styling, 4ws etc) premium japanese brand of the 80's / 90's and have dropped the ball since .

With a reduced focus they handed good market opportunity to Subaru and Mazda.

At the moment they are a good value, great quality / reliability brand with non offensive styling (not must have attractive either).

I say this after owning 30+ fords as my current car is a new Honda.

It does nothing bad and nothing standout either and so is great non emotional motoring.

How I wish they would reclaim the tech forefront with some stylish sporty cars.

A modern version of the legend 2 door maybe - rwd, high / power tech engine, sleek styling - good engineering.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #45
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

One of my mates just bought an Accord Euro Luxury.. for $42 kay it has everything, xexons, leather, sunroof, parking sensors front and rear, power seats both side, dual zone climate etc etc.. The only thing its lacking is the Accord V6....
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #46
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the Euro was a rear wheel drive, I would seriously consider one.
I like their look, and from all reports with several people who have them, their quality is fantastic. These are people who have driven Fords, Holdens, Toyotas and Mazdas too. His previous car was a Mazda 6 and he said that the Mazda did not compare...and Mazdas are not shoddy by any means...

BUT alas, I will happily stick with the Aussies for now.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #47
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
You Know of Scriven Racing?
yeah I do, pretty much track racing for dirt bikes.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #48
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

One of the greatest Honda made

djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #49
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Never made a car i would like to own, but they are very realiable, well built cars thats for sure
Old 28-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #50
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjase
One of the greatest Honda made

Oh hell yeah, Still fetch a high price...would love one.

I don't know how anyone could complain about Honda making good/unlikable cars

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #51
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

They have made some duds in their time (as has any manufacturer) but overall I really love them. They are fussy about maintenance and oil but then again so are so many other makes. Their autos have a reputation for being weak.

As others have said I'd like to see them getting back to making the almost great cars they were making in the 80's. Hi tech engines, double wishbone suspension and pinifarina styling.

The potential is there it's just that they don't seem to realize it (Super Aguri & Honda F1 hurt the budget - they are still racing in other formulas.

I own an Eb1 Civic & a DC2R Integra (many track days). I used to own a Crx (around 40 track days) and I had Jack Brabham take me around Sandown in a 3.2 litre NSX so maybe I am biased.

I'd love a hot version of the hatchback CRX's, a true DC5R or S600, S800, S2000 anyday. In some ways they can be an enthusiasts brand (same as the hottest Mazda, Nissans & Toyotas are). The've competed in most forms of Motorsport & won in a lot of them.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #52
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Nor would I mind an NSX-R, Accord R, City Turbo II (aka The Bulldog) or early EB2 civic with all of the good Mugen racing gear.

Their duds include the Vigour - in line 5 cylinder, CRX Del Sol & the Beat wasn't too good either (it's build quality was average & the .66cc engine lacked the turbo that the shared Mazda engine had). There are good things in Japan that we didn't get like a 4wd Legend coupe

I find it unpallatable that our ADM DC5 type "R" was a type S with just an LSD and body kit & unforgivable that the Civic type R sold here (based on the Fitt's compromised rear suspension) doesn't have an LSD except as a later special model. For a grunty tiddler Renaultsport look like the way to go at the moment.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 28-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #53
nstg8a

i had a da6 integra, factory fitted with the b16a2 and lsd and it was awesome, i thrashed the bejjezuz out of the poor thing and the only thing that failed was the clutch.

with just exhaust and decent panel filter it was running flat 15s on the 1/4. not bad for a na 1600cc 4 cylinder.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #54
arlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
My biggest hang up with the Civic Type R (which is Jap built)

Wrong!!! The civic Type R is actually british built. Built in the Factory in Swindon.

As far as I see it the Euro is by far the best value for money.
Even the list of standard features in the base model euro is amazing:

Dual Zone climate control, Cruise control, Premium sound system (10 speakers
+ a sub and 6 stack cd player) and Alloy Wheels.

The Luxury adds:

Leather seats, Sunroof, H.I.D headlights, Fog lights, parking sensors front and rear, Auto dimming mirror, Electric seats, 18: Alloy wheels and Auto lights and wipers.

Above that you have the luxury navigation which gives you inbuilt Sat Nav and a reversing camera.

Some people mention not liking the chrome front grille. As an option you can get a sports grille which is colour coded and a different design.
arlester is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #55
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Honda has lost its place as the "premium" main stream Japanese brand to Mazda...
Honda styling has lost is way in the past 5 years and Mazda has really kicked some goals with its range, styling, appointments and build quality.

Old 28-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #56
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honda are great expensive to fix but rarely ************ up
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #57
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As with a few other people Honda haven't really made a car I would own, but you don't often hear bad things about them.

If the Accord was a RWD Turbo/Supercharged V6, or even V8 (Yeah unlikely) I would definitely buy one.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #58
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I think Honda has lost its place as the "premium" main stream Japanese brand to Mazda...
Honda styling has lost is way in the past 5 years and Mazda has really kicked some goals with its range, styling, appointments and build quality.
Just out of curiosity, do you like the styling of the new mazda 3?
the front looks a bit odd to me, prefer the previous model.
rest of the car is fine and looks rather well finished.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #59
Mr X
mustang pilot

Vtec requires periodic tappet adjustment-every 40,000 km or so--which increases servicing costs.
The small capacity engines with deficient torque require lots of revs to keep them moving-especially painful in automatic form.
Hondas also require Honda only brake fluid,diff oil etc -again increasing service costs.
I personally would look at Subaru if I was buying mid range Japanese.
We have had Liberty's in the workshop with 300,000 plus k's on the odo and virtually no problems.
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #60
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I don't love them, but I don't hate them either. But I do think they are over priced and over rated, they are certainly not streets ahead of something like a Subaru for example.

That said if I was small car shopping I would totally go for one over a Toyota or Mitsubishi, and the NSX is the shiz.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post