Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2005, 06:53 PM   #31
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
They actually built 350 McLaren F1's. Five McLaren F1 LM's, and I'm not sure how many McLaren F1 GTR's. And no, they're not the fastest or most powerful exotic by a long shot. But they're still damn cool, must've been an awesome thing to see.
No it was ~110 total (can't remember exact number off the top of my head), I've got a book on the development of the car which has a list of each chassis number, what type it was and the colour it was originally painted.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 08:00 PM   #32
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

The S7 saleen would be my pic @ 10.7@136.0 vs the f1's 11.6@125.0

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 09:44 PM   #33
Kirium
Brain stuck in neutral

Is this the F1 you saw??

It may have had slightly different plates, after change of ownership.

This car is believed to be chassis #009, and is reportedly owned by Tony Raftis (who is/was the owner of Prancing Horse Racing i've heard). Its former owner was believed to be Dean Wills, former CEO of Coca Cola Amatil. Yes, #009 was the F1 was that crashed by a BMW Service tech in Sydney. The car was sent to Stowe Smash Repair before being flown back to Woking in the UK. It was repaired and returned to Dean, and is now probably owned by Tony Raftis. And it certainly is street registerable...

There are rumors that there is a White F1 in Australia, but it's never been seen or photographed or had its ownership determined. There were only 2 White factory F1's built and 1 has been spotted in Japan. The other remains unknown.

The actual numbers built were 7 Prototypes, 64 road cars, 28 GTR's (some of which have now been road registered), 5 LM's, 2 GT's and 1 spare car owned by McLaren Cars. A total of 107. There's probably less than 100 still in existence after the official crash test, and "unplanned" crash tests.

In case you can't tell, I don't mind the F1... _2:

Formerly:
VYII SS
VTII Calais
Kirium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #34
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:sm_drool: Now i can tell my mate there is one in Oz. My mate is a huge Mclaren F1 fan.

Cool pics.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 11:04 PM   #35
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
No it was ~110 total (can't remember exact number off the top of my head), I've got a book on the development of the car which has a list of each chassis number, what type it was and the colour it was originally painted.
I vaguely remember an article on the Ferrari Enzo back in 2002, saying that Ferrari only wanted to build 349 of them to keep it more exclusive then the McLaren F1 @ 350... I'm not sure what that article was on about though, I'd have to go dig it up. Oh well, 110 is still alot of cars that retail for $1 million American...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #36
Red MY01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
and just like the ford its an I6 :
Porsche never have, don't now, and never will, use an inline 6. All porsches (real porsches...not the Cayenne) use a flat 6...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:42 AM   #37
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MY01
Porsche never have, don't now, and never will, use an inline 6. All porsches (real porsches...not the Cayenne) use a flat 6...
Cayenne is a Porsche, despite everyone's sentiment about what a "real Porsche" is, its a Porsche nevertheless.

:
Old 07-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #38
MintEAFalcon
1990 EA Falcon S Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirium
Is this the F1 you saw??

Wow, hasnt this thread taken off lol...

That WAS the F1 I saw. It had the slimline plates in your bottom pics "MCL-F1" Good work Kirium!
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #39
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a Cayenne is a Volkswagon isnt it? Its the same, apart from engine and panels as the VW Toureg. Still is says Porsche on it.

The Bugatti Veyron was recently clocked at 408 i think it was, they hit over 400 in both directions on some test track in Italy(i think it was). They said they would not sell it until it would reliably do over 400 as thats what they told people who have put down deposits.!! You have to be able to do over 400 dont you?!! Cool!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #40
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh, look at these videos for what its like to go for a cruise in a McLaren F1!! (this guy isnt pushing too hard either)

http://www.pistonheads.tv/default.asp?nr=1&p=21

theres heaps of cool vids on this page! Check out ones about crusing through the Alps etc....

Also have you seen the Mclaren F1 top speed run where it does 391?thats fantastic! I cant find it, anyone know where to download the video?

Last edited by EDManual; 07-07-2005 at 10:57 AM.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #41
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
a Cayenne is a Volkswagon isnt it? Its the same, apart from engine and panels as the VW Toureg. Still is says Porsche on it.

The Bugatti Veyron was recently clocked at 408 i think it was, they hit over 400 in both directions on some test track in Italy(i think it was). They said they would not sell it until it would reliably do over 400 as thats what they told people who have put down deposits.!! You have to be able to do over 400 dont you?!! Cool!
The Cayenne is a Porsche. It shares much of the design with the VW Touareg, but it isn't a VW. The 4.5litre 250kW V8 and 4.5litre 331kW Twin Turbo V8 are both Porsche engines, and its got much Porsche under the skin. The only engine shared with Touareg is the 3.2litre V6 in the base model.

:
Old 07-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #42
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

there was a video i saw once where they had a race between a porsche 911(turbo) and the YZF-R1000 (R1) on a circuit track, believe it or not the porsche won, only just but it won, the bike killed it on the straights but through the corners the porsche ripped.
and both rider and driver are professional race drivers/riders

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #43
flavze

The most exotic car i've seen in adelaide is a Yellow Lambo Gallardo, it hangs out around the harvey norman store on Main North Rd.
But the Mac F1 is still one of the sweetest lookin exotic's around!
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #44
Steffo
LPG > You

I saw a Ferrari F50 driving down Paramatta Road once... about five years ago now. The most exotic car I've seen on the road would have to be the F50. At a car show though... Pagani Zonda C12 S 7.3 would be it.

:
Old 07-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #45
Kryton

i seen a Dodge Viper and a Hummer H1 (painted military colours). that was enough to make my day!
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #46
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Best i've seen is a Lamborghini Countach :(

Still, it was damn sweet. I want one
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #47
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

A guy who lived around the corner from me owned a Dodgy Viper for quite a while I used to see him nailing up my street when I was out for a run, that V-10 certainly sounds good at WOT. Unfortunately the owner passed away last week.

As for the Mac F1, I remember going to the 94 Motor show at the old exhibition buildings in Melbourne, since then it has been my favourite car, I would love to see one in the flesh on the road.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #48
BAUTE
formerly known as AUUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Hummer H1 (painted military colours). that was enough to make my day!
have driven a military hummer (LHD) and it was a pretty interesting experience but I would never pay the $$ for one
BAUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:22 PM   #49
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Hey everyone... lets argue about how fast the fastest production car is, what a production car is and the precise amount made of a particular model....
Old 07-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #50
SK2807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The Dauer 962 LeMans was originally a co-work project of Porsche & Dauer, which started off as a LeMans effort. Later, when Porsche abandoned it (to make the 911 GT1), Dauer kept on producing (and still does produce) the 962, you can order one today, for $853,473 USD.

First time I hear that the McLaren F1 is not street registereable in Australia, same token to the XJ220. There was a debacle over the Enzo, but I'm not sure how that turned out. And which Bugatti do you say has clocked faster? The Bugatti EB 16/4 Veyron? They claim 406km/h for that thing, but they've never seen faster then 350km/h in it, with high-speed stability issues they're still trying to iron out. It'll be a miracle if they ever release it. And CCC? Do you mean Koenigsegg CCR?

Production car or not, the 962 LeMans remains the fastest street car produced by an OEM vehicle manufacturer.
Yeah, CCR not CCC.

The Bugatti Veyron has been clocked at Nardi at over 400kmh on more than one pass.

Porsche produced the 962 race car with assistance from Dauer, Dauer produced the road car on their own with five 962 chassis' that they bought from Porsche = not a Porsche factory car. Fast road car, not "production" in the true sense.

The thing people are missin here is that the main classification of a "production" car is that it can be registered in the country it was built in.

anyway, they're all fast!!!!!!!!
SK2807 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #51
nugget666
lord of the nuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintEAFalcon
Just wanted to let you know that I spotted a McLaren F1 on Little Collins street on Saturday! Given that these cars are worth US$1,000,000+ and there were just over 100 built, there cant be too many of these around, especially in oz!

Its basically the fastest most power most exotic super car there is!

The driver was looking very lost, but would have to have been someone pretty damn important though.

konis egg cough cough and there is one in australia to

:evilking: I saw a commodore chasing a Falcon up the street the other day.. O WAIT they were racing!!!

was about to go wakeboarding but i didnt know about the wheather..... wheather to go or not
nugget666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:33 PM   #52
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
i seen a Dodge Viper. that was enough to make my day!
i envy you, i love the dodge viper!!!!! never had the privelidge to see one in action though, it must have been a great day for ya

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #53
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

This is the new Lambo Diablo i spotted in double bay - woulda taken a pic if i had a camera phone and wasnt so, uh, hungover (it was 8am and i'd been out all night). One I saw was black, looked way meaner!

Also the one i saw had quad pipes....imagine having the cash to MODIFY a lambo, sheesh. Had an extremely low and deep note to the exhaust, but I only saw it pull up (woulda love to heard it cruising).

On the topic of Mclaren's - yes that was previously owned by the ex-CEO of e. I saw a pic of him with it and his car collection in the paper once - and the funniest thing is that he was so large he couldnt actually fit in the drivers seat! Best reason to lose weight i ever heard!

Also Mr. Bean crashed his mclaren at a race track. Here's what was left of it:

Dumbass.

Cayanne is not a Porsche? Mm I used to be of that opinion too. That was until I was privileged enough to drive my mates' neighbor Cayenne S around the block. Believe me, it IS a Porsche!!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #54
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Thats actually the Murcielago Axel-F, the successor to the Diablo, I can understand your excitement though, pure sex on wheels. Although I would probably prefer it's little brother, the Gallardo.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #55
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol @ Mr. Bean.

Last edited by dogbreath_48; 07-07-2005 at 02:33 PM.
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #56
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2807
Surprised you saw a McLaren F1 in Australia on the street, they are not street registerable in this country, same as a host of other super cars, Jag XJ220, Ferrari Enzo, etc.
The XJ220 is street registerable in Australia & a couple are. I've seen at least 1 in Sydney & know there is others. Unique Cars had a story recently on a bloke who uses one as his daily driver
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #57
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2807
Porsche produced the 962 race car with assistance from Dauer, Dauer produced the road car on their own with five 962 chassis' that they bought from Porsche = not a Porsche factory car. Fast road car, not "production" in the true sense.
Actually, the first 25 Dauer 962 LeMans models they made for the road, during its official production run, 1994 - 1997, were supplied by Porsche. They were genuine Porsche models, so to speak. After 1997, Porsche abandoned the 962 and went on to build the 911 GT1, but Dauer kept on making, and still makes 962 LM's brand new. $853,473 a pop for a brand new one, American dollars. So, here, with taxes and all that, they'd be around $1,700,000. By 2003, they had produced 62 units (25 genuines, 37 Dauer-only models since that). I'm not sure how many they've produced since then.

But its the performance king... for a factory car (despite the fact it doesn't hold 'production' status)...

3.0litre DOHC 24v Twin Turbo Air-Cooled Flat-6
545kW (730hp) @ 7400rpm
700Nm (517ftlbs) @ 5000rpm
5-speed Sequential transmission
285/30 ZR18 tyres front, 335/30 ZR18 rear (not sure on rim size)
Weight: 1082kg (2381lbs)
330mm (13 inch) Brembo brakes all-round

0-100km/h in 2.59 seconds
0-160km/h in 5.95 seconds
Standing-1/4 Mile in 8.91 seconds at 151.10 mph (241.76km/h)
Top Speed: 404km/h (252mph) - Official

One owner claims to have hit 411.72km/h (257.325 mph) in his car though.

To take a line from our friends at HSV...

I just want one!!

:
Old 07-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #58
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Looks kinda like the Sauber Mercedes C9
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #59
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I remember about a year ago I saw a yellow Skyline R33 GTR chase a Ferrari 360 Modena along the F3 freeway coming back from Gosford .... they were absolutely flying ... next thing I see on my rear-vision mirrors was high beams (during the day) ... I was in the far left lane doing 130km/h ... this "thing" passes me ... I realise it was a McLaren F1 road car ... it passed me as if I was standing still.

Now I have been in a friends R32 GT-R at 322km/h ... and that's moving ... I'd have to guess the guy driving the F1 that day was going quicker than that ... he caught the yellow GT-R and the Ferrari and passed them.

Crazy ... NSW Numberplates "MCLARN".

Took me a while to lift my jaw out of my lap.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 12:07 AM   #60
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
Thats actually the Murcielago Axel-F, the successor to the Diablo, I can understand your excitement though, pure sex on wheels. Although I would probably prefer it's little brother, the Gallardo.
Saw a yellow Gallardo in traffic in Sydney last week .... crossing George street along Bathurst Street.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post