Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #31
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is your car a Moron magnet >>

Mine surely is, every time i get in it its attracted another Moron!.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #32
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Moron repellent- I've found if you drive a white late model XR6T with dark tinted windows, everyone behaves around you. No tailgaters, obnoxious merging, traffic light racing etc. Pure bliss.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #33
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I used to get quite a few revheads wanting to line up against my old WRX. I didn't always bite My favourite is the flyby (that's when I've backed off and the other just flies by).

My missus is disappointed that no one ever wants to line up whilst she's in her WRX. But on the odd occasion I have to drive it, I get people wanting to have a run.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #34
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ran the wife's GT up the road yesterday to put some fuel in it for her and low and behold a 69/70 Shelby Mustang roars up behind and starts following me.............there's no mistaking the try hard fibreglass front on one of those Anyway the mustang tailed me as I cut through an LIA area to get to the servo and eventually peeled right when I took a left. Maybe the "Girl Power" sticker on the back window got the drivers and his passengers attention

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My car is a moron magnet too, because this moron owns and drives it
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #36
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I don't take my car out much more than driving to and from work these days, so it's been awhile since I've had idiots try anything. Even with custom plates and tints, it's not been common.

I've been stopped in carparks to find out what the colour is called, or if I know the paint code.

I had some moron a few years back in the car next to me at lights, have a go at me about having matched my nail polish to the car, and how that was such a stupid "girl" thing to do.
I left him in the dust when the lights changed though..

Just after I got the XR6, driving to work early in the mornings, it was always fun to see people fly past you on the highway, then panic that it was HWP, and hit the brakes.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #37
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

236 years ago, tootling down burwood highway near Deakin uni in my Mk1 VW golf rolling on 5 inch steels and 155 tyres a 80's model supra with the works and driven by, I guess a moron, egged on by the car full its mates. for about a km and a half they were hanging out of the car abusing the little golf and its poor driver and 'running rings' around it ie. swapping lanes passing one side then slowing sown the other etc. until the driver went from rear right lane across the back into the left lane and 'pow' right into the back of a parked car. That was the sign of a Moron I think. did I move over to allow them room to avoid it. Hmmmmmm NO!
It was a big hit and I still laugh about it. Shardenfreud

JP

Last edited by jpblue1000; 02-10-2015 at 01:50 PM.
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #38
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

LOL Wellplayed!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #39
FPV0137

2009 Mercedes Vito can:
Not many issues in this one. Has faded paint and is bigger than almost everything. If I don't drive slightly aggressively, ill have everyone doing their best to get in front... Even though its faster than most of the cars that do this lol and people love running into the back of it...

2004 Mazda 6:
Nannas car. She bought it brand new and its only done 50,000kms (seriously!)
This car attracts the idiots like there's no tomorrow! It's a miracle only the passengers side rims are grazed from traffic dodging

2006 BF GT: My baby. When people see me cruising through, they feel the need to pull in front of me to make sure I slow down to the same speed as the left lane. Coilovers, brembos and semi slicks make their efforts pointless depnding on the road...

1993 NC Fairlane: Not one panel is unscratched or undented. People start trying to play merging games, then see the dents and back off. Also replaced the bonnet emblem with a gunsight style ornament. People usually move lol

I drove more cars than these, but they're the worst...
I do 1000kms a week on Perth roads
FPV0137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #40
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Shardenfreud

JP
Schadenfreude. Sorry the German in me couldn't resist.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #41
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i got my vitara soft top (when it was stock) I have all these tuff blokes pull up along side and do their best effort to perv at me, then realise i'm a 35y/o dude freak out then try and cut me off.
nows its got big muddies, bent panels and a bull bars it has stopped
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #42
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Moron repellent- I've found if you drive a white late model XR6T with dark tinted windows, everyone behaves around you. No tailgaters, obnoxious merging, traffic light racing etc. Pure bliss.
My G6ET attracts nothing at all. On the other hand my 65 mustang has everything from ****boxes, to SUV's, to performance vehicles trying to race it. No quiet Sunday drives for me...
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #43
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post

White FG GTPs fly under the loony Tune radar pretty well also.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #44
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Irish, my G6ET is a magnet for several types of cars.

VE Executives who have no Idea what they are dealing with and try anything to be in front.
HSVs who know exactly what it is and generally keep a safe distance away.
Skylines and WRXS who also know what it is and try to find out if it's stock or a 500kW sleeper.

Don't get me started on the SUV crowd who have no idea on the whipping they can get from a stock G6ET. But they try anyway. Occasially I exercise my right to humiliate them. Occasionally.

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #45
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

I find most on the road steer well clear of the g6et and the fg f6,the 4.9 badged ls xd wagon though,lets just say I usually get death daggers when anyone tries it off the lights.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #46
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of people think my car is brand new, I say no it's 12 yo and they are like in shock. is it ! they say in unbelief.
I do quotes in it and some people think I am a multimillionaire, so I park up the road a bit sometimes.
You can turn up in a $100,000 4X4 and all is fine.
But they will say is that, 'your car' !

Back in 1980's my mum said to my dad that some bum came to see him in an old HJ ute, dad said that so called bum is a multimillionaire who could buy the whole town. and he just got about looking like he had the **** out of his pants. he was a top bloke thou.

Last edited by castellan; 03-10-2015 at 09:56 AM.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #47
red_hotxr6
Banned

When i first got my XF SVO, the cops actually went out of there way to stop me and look the car over, "isnt the spoiler too low...what does the svo stand for, isnt the MOMO steering wheel too small...etc...been in Chermside parking lot and had guys take photos off it, the actual kitt builder, Peter Harding pull me over and look the car over in 99, had JEFF BLOOM pull me over at strathpine and take photos of the car, ..these are the good guys....i will not mention the complete morons in their vn,s and vs,s etc that want to "race" me from the lights...or the more powerful v8,s that pretend the next straight is doing the 1/4 mile in less than 2 secs....in 2003, at Brookside shopping centre, as i was taking my groceries to the car i watched a guy in a hoodie walk by car, which is parked away from every one being what it is, and in pearl white, when i got to the car 1 big "keyed " mark down the right quarter panel, he was gone, $750.00 to get that done...like, spewing.............i rarely take my XF out now...use the EL or the AU....
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #48
GO FURTHER

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I have not had any trouble or morons try to race me in my always highly waxed kinetic blue XR6 Turbo.... But that's because It looks like an umarked police car.
Dark blue or white Late model FG Falcons always have that police car look.

Coming up from behind it, theres the dark factory tinted windows, dual mobile antennas on the rear windscreen and a rear mounted dashcam on a custom made bracket mounted high on the rear left of the back windscreen ( no suction cup). (It looks like it could a concealed blue/red flashing light

And if you are infront of my car, the driver will see in his rear vision mirror, my front mounted dash cam with sun hood on the lens (and all black), mounted on a GoPro bracket from the rear vision mirror, which looks more like a police radar unit or camera of some sort. Then there's the unique bar style LED DRL's on the lower grille, which all add to the unmarked look.

I often have cars zoom up beside me in the right lane exceeding the speed limit , while I'm sitting in the left lane doing the speed limit in a line of cars.... And suddenly you see them pull back behind me back into the left lane, and probably thinking "Oh *****.... A highway patrol car!"

Its even funnier if I wear a high vis yellow safety vest, or put a dark blue police style baseball cap on the rear parcel shelf or when I'm wearing a light blue short sleeve business shirt

I love that look on their faces and what they are probably thinking.... "Now is that an unmarked cop car or not..... The question is .....Am I prepared to take the risk?"
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 11:47 PM   #49
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Yep, I'm completely screwed now. XY or FG doesn't matter. Not all morons I might add but power of numbers suggests there's been a few!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #50
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo6 View Post
So do I mate,I get bagged by my workmates about going to the bowls club or picking up old ladies the bastards! But both you and I know you can't kill them and I take comfort with what's sitting in my shed at home,fg mk2 xrt. I occasionally let them know that and it seems to shut them up!
Camry's aren't that hard to kill. The positive is after the head gasket blows you can keep nursing them (drive under 80kmh)....just need to change the spark plugs when the thing starts running on 3 cyl.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #51
snopony

Ive never had trouble but I do find it a lil annoying when they sit on the rear quarter in the blind spot having a good squiz at the car... and stay there untill one of us turn off or I have to really boot it to change lanes. If my child is with me its "muuuuum why is everyone lookin at the car..?" bit of a laugh.
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #52
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

When I had the Yellow Festiva blokes would pull up next to me and try and make eye contact thinking the driver was a sheila till I wound down the window to give then a greasy smile surrounded by a full beard....

They would look fwd thinking of ways to wash the image of my face from their moronic minds...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #53
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit05 View Post
I find they're equal opportunity. Normally morons don't discriminate between a classic car, a heavy vehicle, motorcycle, or a late model performance car. Yet if I take the wife's late model poverty pack Mitsubishi out, they're rarely a problem.
I've found the opposite; when I'm out in my XR8 I'm not bothered by anyone (or very rarely anyway), yet when I'm driving our daily white '06 Hyundai Elantra hatch (full stock grandma spec) I'm forever getting cut off & tailgated. I think it's people assuming that an actual granny is driving so I must be doing at least 10kms under the speed limit.

Being in the GT is another story all together; It's nice to get the occasional respect waves & people asking questions about, but it's the toothless bogans who attempt to race off the lights or shout "smoke it up" along with the hand gestures that irritate the hell outta me
Old 05-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #54
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

People stay away from me when in the block of flats(Patrol), but on the bright yellow Suzuki, or the XR6 they seem to want to race, or run me down
Old 06-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #55
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont think my cars are moron magnets, i think theres just a lot of morons driving on the road , turning into a servo in my xr some years ago(my bro driving) ......A woman drove into the back of my limo , then had the ordacity to argue the point ...... geez lady....brakes and steering wheel optional extra in a ******* commy for gods sake .

99.9% of the time i drive smooth with the traffic and leave a good gap from the car in front, it never fails though , often there will be some twit that doesn't like the two or three car lengths in front of me when im in 60 kph zone still matching the car in fronts speed , but the traffic is chockas running at 50, these scum bags have to do v8 super car maneuvers to get one car length in front and then the traffic stops yet again and becomes a car park,

i mean seriously ....why be erratic and bend my car, some silly old bugger a while ago side swiped me while i was sitting stationary at the lights , he felt he needed to be a few car lengths further up the road , before he hit me he was 2 lanes over and stationery too.

just too many bad drivers.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #56
stig_3754

A special mention needs to go to drivers that feel the need to tailgate on a single lane road when you're driving under the speed limit, even though you're already relatively close to the car ahead of you, usually a result of driving to the conditions because of heavier traffic. I'm not sure what this behaviour is supposed to achieve, as I don't think I can go much faster given the situation. Attempted intimidation perhaps?
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #57
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I've never had a problem merging in until I got my XR8. In the past two weeks, I've had two people try to run me off the road when I am well up on them. It's like they see the car, think "performance car douche", and decide to not let me in. Once I had to brake hard to back out of the situation, then they slowed to 20km/h and only the sheer power of the V8 got me past him and on my way home. And he was in an XR6T?!

Second time was this morning, a guy in a Triton just did not want to let me in. I forced the issue, and I won. It's ridiculous how little respect there is on the road, especially when you get tarred with the same brush as the VT Commo brigade.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #58
Spurious

There's always someone that wants to be in front....no matter how fast you're going!

There's a few reoccurring themes I see on a dual lane highway,
everyone is happy to stay left until you get close enough & decide to pass a few. Then the first 2 or 3 in front of you decide they want to overtake too...all of a sudden.
Nobody likes to be passed I think is the problem there.

Then there's the "Small Car Syndrome" (SCS), you know that one twat in a Daewoo or Hyundai or Suzuki, that has no business trying to overtake ANYTHING, & yet you'll see them always vying for position in traffic.
The problem there is that the car is small, but the ego is barely able to fit inside!

...& then there's the young man in a commodore with the obligatory P plate in the window. You can always be assured of some wholesome Aussie entertainment when you see one of these combinations.
They simply have to be the centre of attention. So just sit back & enjoy the show.

Now I'll finish with a message to all those fools who love burnouts...or skids as the youngsters now call it.
Why do you think it is such a wonderful achievement to make your car sit still whilst it spins a wheel to make smoke?
Why do you believe the world thinks you're some type of legend because you can perform this act?

Think about this everytime you do a burnout, you reduce the life of your drivetrain by about 3000 kilometres, & you fill the cabin of your vehicle with toxic gasses that you, your friends & probably your children will inhale in the very near future.

Even the mothers of the 3 Top Gear hosts can perform burnouts, so it's not really that much of an achievement now is it.
But go on, have your fun, you're a legend in your own mind if nothing else.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #59
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think for me with the car drawing particular attention, the G6E gets commodore drivers trying to race at the lights, but that's about it. Oh, and a 120Y one time.

All other morons have just been morons.

Special mention to the GT Cobra I saw this morning, tailgating, revving hard as he tried to swerve through traffic and quite honestly getting nowhere for all his trouble. Some people just try to draw attention to themselves.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #60
sfoxwell
Starter Motor

Every twat in a commodore trys to race my 335 GTP. Even S pac VNs try it on.
sfoxwell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post