Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #31
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

In NSW ... if you request a copy of the image .... it is at your expense ... to bad so sad.

A shame really I know ... but that's how they get you.
A previous car of mine was done by a camera in an area I don't go through ... I found it was a mechanic taking my vehicle for a "test drive" and got done.
I had to pay for the image to actually prove it was my vehicle (as I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I would have been done by a speed camera in that area).

In the end the $20+postage was worth it ... I palmed the speeding fine off to the "dealership workshop" at the time for them to sort out.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #32
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have hit them up for the cost of the pic as well after all it was their fault
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
In NSW ... if you request a copy of the image .... it is at your expense ... to bad so sad.

A shame really I know ... but that's how they get you.
A previous car of mine was done by a camera in an area I don't go through ... I found it was a mechanic taking my vehicle for a "test drive" and got done.
I had to pay for the image to actually prove it was my vehicle (as I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I would have been done by a speed camera in that area).

In the end the $20+postage was worth it ... I palmed the speeding fine off to the "dealership workshop" at the time for them to sort out.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #33
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
depends wether it is the australian standard AS2898.2-2003 from standards australia you want or the state based operational guidlines that each state create.
I have a copy of the australian standard here and it was interesting, if short, reading.

State based operational guidelines..
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #34
Matty4
Banana

Again, to those who think cameras are not revenue raisers, read on...

In my local paper this week there is an article about the crackdown on hoons and the new "hoon hotline". The full page article has an interview with Victoria's top traffic cop, Assistant Commissioner Ken Lay. In the article he states that he is a supporter of speed cameras (duh!!) but it was unlikely we would see more in the short term.

He then states, and I quote, "Speed cameras aren't necessarily the total answer. But if we thought that speed cameras could save lives, we'd certainly go to the Government and have the discussion with them".

:
Either they do or they don't. :

Now we have the top traffic cop stating that they don't believe they save lives, therefore the inference is they must be purely and simply a revenue raising device.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #35
prydey
Rob

if you don't speed they can't raise revenue with them. thats the way they look at it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #36
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
if you don't speed they can't raise revenue with them. thats the way they look at it.
Well actually they can. See post #26 above. and on top of that there are many many who simply pay and not even question it. Especially if they drive through the area regularly. After all the only reason I questioned this is because I never go near the area claimed.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #37
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
depends wether it is the australian standard AS2898.2-2003 from standards australia you want or the state based operational guidlines that each state create.
I have a copy of the australian standard here and it was interesting, if short, reading.
So do I.

I have a court date of 7th Jan this year in regards to a speeding infringement where I was doing 67km/h in a 60km/h zone. I've already had the prosecutor adjourn the case on the 17th of last month because I turned up and questioned the first charge of failing to identify driver. I told the magistrate I did identify the driver (myself) on the 2nd notification, and I did not receive the initial notification. I told the prosecutor perhaps they should send these infringements as registered mail to ensure everyone gets them.

I've subsequently requested the prosecutor provide me with a copy of the evidence they will use against me. Watch this space.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty

Nope, no camera in there.

Thats just the type of snorkle it is, it is fitted correctly and facing the correct way.

In all seriousness how can you Queenslanders miss that?? The car sticks out like...well you know what.

Down here (Vic/Mexico) no car is marked and it can be a Falcon, Commodore, Echo, Rolla, Hyundai mini SUV or a Hilux. Mind you they put the cars in area's where if you know the area you know that the car is in a spot where no bugger parks.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #39
Cappy_Hamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Fair enough - I agree with you on that. But you also have to know that if you are speeding, you run the risk of being caught. You have never actually denied that you were speeding; you're just complaining that they caught you.

While there is no "safe" speeding as such (and I don't mean that speed kills, just a speed that you can travel at without being booked for it), I generally stay within the accepted tolerances for speed limits, so that I don't get caught. I also happen to know how accurate my speedo is, so I can safely sit on 65 in a 60 zone and know that I am actually complying with the law.

If it's only a small fine and a few points, cop it on the chin and learn from it. If it's a large fine with large points, then I really can't see how you could complain.

So is the tolerance 5km/h at 60 or is your speedo out by 5km/h @ 60?

Cappy_Hamper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #40
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy_Hamper
So is the tolerance 5km/h at 60 or is your speedo out by 5km/h @ 60?
The tolerance is +/- 3km/h to 100km/h, over 100km/h it becomes +/- 3%. This tolerance is for radar detection, not what the local states/territories allow for your speed.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #41
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
In all seriousness how can you Queenslanders miss that?? The car sticks out like...well you know what.

Down here (Vic/Mexico) no car is marked and it can be a Falcon, Commodore, Echo, Rolla, Hyundai mini SUV or a Hilux. Mind you they put the cars in area's where if you know the area you know that the car is in a spot where no bugger parks.

Quite easy when they park it behind walls, or in drains. They used to make a point of parking in places that were only visable after you'd passed them. They also have to place a small sign that is probably 500mmX500mm and says "speed camera in use", however it usually faces the opposite way and fits snugly under the front bumper.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Quite easy when they park it behind walls, or in drains. They used to make a point of parking in places that were only visable after you'd passed them. They also have to place a small sign that is probably 500mmX500mm and says "speed camera in use", however it usually faces the opposite way and fits snugly under the front bumper.

Ahh, well that would explain it then. Damm they took revenue raising to a new level.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #43
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
they've also started using unmarked taragos and hiace vans
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #44
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Queensland is inhabited by a lot of.... well, Queenslanders. :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #45
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
they've also started using unmarked taragos and hiace vans
Oh yeah? Not doubting you, but since when?

I only know of the new black Mecedes Vito vans, with the camera that fires from the rear. They are always marked too, by the way.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #46
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Originally Qld speed cameras were well signposted like the photo, to avoid criticism of revenue raising.
The first lot were white Mitsubishi Vans, very obvious, but they kept getting bogged parking (illegally) in the median strips.
Then they got Landcruisers like the photo, now there are many different types and colours of cars, mostly larger vans and 4wd types but to hold all the camera equiment.
The size of the Police sticker and signage on them has shrunk over the years as well so they look like normal cars now, maybe just a small Police sticker on a door. They do still have some high visibilty ones as well.
They can take photos in both directions, from the front or the back of the car (not both at once) depending on how it is set up. They take photos of motorbikes from the front and the officer notes the rego from the rear and swears it is attached to the picture to get a ticket.
They have to park in approved locations, even measuring distances from the kerb etc, originally it was state controlled arterial roads only but has been widened to include larger local council roads that meet criteria.
As stated the small sign (legally required) is usually shoved under the front wheel so no one can see it.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #47
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They love parking those camera's on the centre medium strip of the South east M1/Bruce highway.... Imagine them trying to get themselves out, when its wet, and those centre sections are like huge spoon drains, and with traffic travelling past at 100kph... in a car that doesnt accelerate very fast, im sure there is a breach in workplace health and safety laws, by putting the driver at risk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Queensland is inhabited by a lot of.... well, Queenslanders. :
Find me a Qld'er living in Qld? Thats probably only 50% of the population... Mexicans, or kiwis, they everywhere...!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #48
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

What gets me about all this is the news articles quoting our law enforcement re mobile phones and nav devices and MP3 players etc distracting drivers.

I dont know about others, but the greatest threat to my attention is the time i MUST spend watching the speedo to ensure Im not collecting demerit points through simple speed drift.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #49
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh yeah? Not doubting you, but since when?

I only know of the new black Mecedes Vito vans, with the camera that fires from the rear. They are always marked too, by the way.
Not saying its offical, maybe i missed the signage and stickers? but a week or so ago there was an unmarked landcruiser sitting on Bonogin Rd, no sign, nothing, just very dark tint, the tell tale snorkle and a flash as he caught a car a few car lengths infront of me.

Old man says he has seen marked Targos sitting on the M1 (he might have mistaken it for the Vito van? who knows), scratch hiace, i knew they used some van years ago, townace? might have been the mitsi.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #50
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmerFudd

Next time you see one of these check your speed.
What is this thing anyway as i was trying to figure it out.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #51
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the police use Mercedes Vito vans both marked and unmarked in dark blue or white so far ive seen

they take your picture and sense your speed from the rear window
(you can see the machines in the back window easy as)

the following site is a GREAT read and shows people whats what
http://roadsmart.com.au/articles/latest.html
Old 03-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #52
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know down in Victoria you can be travelling in either direction. Doesn't matter. I've seen the software the verification teams use first hand.

You think you've got it bad. I moved from Canberra to Victoria about 12 months ago. I changed my address with Vicroads but the idiots only changed my garaging address and not my postal address. I finally caught the issue when my rego expired and I went into a Vicroads branch to see why I hadn't received a sticker. A couple of weeks later I received a courtesy letter from VicPol saying I'd chewed through a nice chunk of my points.

Thinking this was weird as I hadn't paid any fines I went into Civic Compliance to be told aswell as the three mystry offences listed on the Vicpol letter I also had another two. They had all been incorrectly sent to Canberra. As the offences hadn't been sorted in a certain period they were sent to enforcement and I had five warrants on me. I might add all offences were for minor infringments of under 10kms.

So apparently I have another letter coming in about a weeks time from Vicpol. Not sure if it's a hand in your licence letter, a summons, or just a stack of fines. $1300 in fines that I know about so far.

All offences were for the same car which has now been sold. Not sure if the speedo was out but I would have had it checked after the first offence if I had known about it and possibly avoided a truck load of minor infringments. Thanks Vicroads for the stuff up.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #53
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
the police use Mercedes Vito vans both marked and unmarked in dark blue or white so far ive seen

they take your picture and sense your speed from the rear window
(you can see the machines in the back window easy as)

the following site is a GREAT read and shows people whats what
http://roadsmart.com.au/articles/latest.html

noticed this on the website

Quote:
The announcement also revealed that Queensland Police will start trialling the use of new unmarked mobile speed cameras in conjunction with the current marked mobile cameras. Roadsmart will endeavour to establish the types of new cameras that will trialled, however is wary of the use of covert cameras due to their higher likelihood of arguments for revenue raising and detraction for their true road safety intentions.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #54
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant
What is this thing anyway as i was trying to figure it out.
Its a snorkel.... : : :
Old 03-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #55
strike

Its a waste of time going to court to fight these fines, some time ago I entered an intersection on a green arrow only to have to stop ubruptly when a truck was doing a uturn in front of about 8 cars. Needless to say by the time I was able to continue through the intersection the arrow was red. I wasnt able to reverse and if I had stayed where I was I would have been a danger to other traffic. I contested this in court, detailing all that happened. (represented myself, probally a mistake) The judge agreed and reduced the fine, (as I was guilty of the offence but with mittagating circumstances) and wiped the conviction. Vicroads still slugged me with the loss of 3 demerit points. I lost a days pay to attend court and still had to pay a fine, so who is the winner????? Also the fixed speed cameras do not give the 10% allowance as I have been fined for 103km in a 100km zone, ok I was obviously speeding so I took it on the chin, but what is it 10% or nothing????
strike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #56
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Nope, no camera in there.

Thats just the type of snorkle it is, it is fitted correctly and facing the correct way.
Dan what were you doing so close to the Speed camera, did you have your hairdrier plugged into the power socket at the rear
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #57
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Or the put it in the bushes : . Do the cameras have to be in a certain location, as i seen a Vito camera with a cop on the outside with a measuring tape. Looked as if he was measruing how far the van was off the road.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #58
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Yes it is possible but wont do you any good.......

I remember a mobile speed camera parked in a bus stop, "illegal" but all that happened was the camera operator got a parking fine, all the ppl caught speeding still got their fines even though it was parked illegally.
yeah they all do it in melb, especially in my area lol sth oakleigh on centre rd they try and hide outside me old skool with the bus stop as kind of a cover thenbang last min ppl r standing on the brakes and having accidents and funny thing is its the main bus stop for the kids and they sit there at skool knock off so theyre real smart putting kids at risk just to raise revenue
Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #59
dodge74
74 Coupe

Now there's a place that I don't mind speed cameras - in a school zone. If your that stupid to be speeding around schools where kids are - double the fines I reckon.

Surely you shouldn't need to be jumping on the brakes or causing accidents if your doing the school zone speed limit of 40kmh (WA law).

Challenging cameras in WA - no cost - you can attend an office to view the photo.

If you were not driving ie the mechanic example from earlier post - fill out a form (stat dec) saying who was and they will direct the appropriate infringement to them - easy.

Solution to all - don't speed. I have bee done about half a dozen time in my driving life - not excessively, and each and every time I committed the offence. Never ever been a mistake in my favour or theirs.

Harden up and pay the money if you do the wrong thing!
dodge74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #60
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
To the OP, if you want to fight it, look at;

http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com

Cheers
From what I hear that would be a little like throwing money away.

Whatever free advice you could get from a real Lawyer would be better.
eg: http://armstronglegal.com.au/web/page/Traffic_law_home

Here is a fine ( ;-) ) discussion of why that book and site are crud
http://www.aussiespeedingfine.com.au...ingfines1.html
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post