Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #31
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: body swaps

It definitely happened.
Back in the 80's around the XE or XF era, one of Dad's salesmen got t-boned in a Falcon wagon (would have been under 2 years old as per their policy) and the insurer re-bodied it.

I'm not certain of this, but I suspect it had to do with sales tax. In the pre GST days, sales tax on a new car was IIRC around 30%. Sales tax on parts was probably less, and of course there was no tax on labour.

I never actually saw a "body in white" buts its possible the whole thing was a tax-dodge. The new "Body" may have actually been relatively complete, perhaps only requiring the engine transplanted, or perhaps not even that.

Remember that sales tax, unlike GST, was never claimable as an input credit to a business, you just paid it. To give you an idea, we had a client who was Sales Tax Exempt (a "Public Benevolent Institution.) They gave ALL their staff cars (they were FBT exempt as well) and after the minimum ownership period (12 months I think) they would trade them in at a PROFIT. Eventually a Ford dealership gave them a deal whereby they GAVE them the cars. Issued an invoice, but never collected, and traded them back at the invoice value. They would run the cars from 1st July to 30th June so they didn't have to show the outstanding invoices at year-end. As auditors it gave us coniptions.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #32
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Crazy n the pre GST days the tax on new cars was 27.5% and 15% on parts. The Ford body shells came with all hanging panels but no fittings and painted white
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #33
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my customers used to buy VL bodies from Holden and was in kahootz with insurers to collect all VL Calais and HDT wrecks. They would rebody one write off a week and do the whole job in a mate's panel shop in the space of a weekend, then sell for a great profit - and then do their day-jobs during the week.

He's minted now and in a completely different industry (own business constructing bases for NBN towers). Have no reason to doubt his story and can generally sniff out a BS artist a mile away.

Would be interested to see a scan of these ads people are talking about.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post