Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #31
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to add to my last post, my friend was quoted $1600 total (labour, parts, everything) by the local audi dealer to replace his clutch. Doesn't sound too bad.
nipper575 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #32
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yeh brake rotors will cost you over $4000, brake pads over $2000, foglight bulb $120 and a simple plastic centre for your wheel over $100.

Oops sorry that is FPV, my mistake.......
Was going to say that too... We were pricing up an S5 and some of the comparable options on it are cheaper than those in the FPVs.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #33
DNKPWR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tex get the S3 mate, no doubt it will stunning to drive. But seriously you cant go past the focus XR5 for value for money...but i am a little bias!
Andrew
Old 10-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #34
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

The S3 uses the VW based 4WD Haldex system because it has a transverse engine doesn’t it?

Does anyone know how it is set up to work? Is power sent to the front wheels under normal conditions then sent to the rears only under slip?

Even if it does do this I am sure that there are plenty of fiddles to improve the handling (springs, shocks, sway bars, alignment, etc). You’d think that there would be a mountain of European hot up bits for it (MTM, etc) because of the parts commonality with Audi TT’s, etc.

I did manage to pull a time of the net for Motor PCOTY’s Wintom lap times. It is listed as 1:47.63 for a manual which isn’t too flash, but I’m halfway sure that time is for the old superceded model.

Are you sure that your wife wouldn’t prefer a TT instead? While not the sharpest steerer (amd the 2nd gen are meant to better than the first) they are a great thing to look at.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #35
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I hope I didn't offend you mate!

I say 'slow' very loosely, they have ample power for what they are imo, and I enjoyed the car a lot. If we were in the market for a 40k top dollar spend, the XR5T wins hands down on anything else available for $$$$.

I reckon they are a good little car, don't for a moment think I didn't dig what they have to offer.
No mate, not at all!

But I wish I was able to show you how the XR5 can behave once fords shackles have been removed.

If you enjoyed the car stock, even just with a simple re-map it's a whole new ball game.

Plus if you get the leather seats you are in heaven each time you get in.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #36
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
The S3 uses the VW based 4WD Haldex system because it has a transverse engine doesn’t it?

Does anyone know how it is set up to work? Is power sent to the front wheels under normal conditions then sent to the rears only under slip?
Yes. I believe it's a similar if not same setup as in my R32. It shuffles control on demand. Have had it on some hairy and/or wet corners and it felt very sure footed. Can launch it from a standing start with hands off the wheel and it'll go straight as an arrow (so I assume very little power is being used on the fronts under big acceleration).

I've considered an S3, but seemed to be a little overpriced for what you get. If you haggled them down a fair bit, might remove the barrier that would make me buy one. Not sure how long you're prepared to wait but the VW R20 isn't that far away. Seems a similar car with perhaps a few kW down but $20k less for much the same car.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #37
03wrx

I test drove the 2009 S3 sportsback mid last year. The wife was with me. I didnt find the steering lifeless. It had more torque down low than my 03 wrx had. Great glass roof. The dsg was excellent.

Only downside which the missus pointed out was lack of storage at the back. So the dealer took us for a drive in the S4 as it had a large boot.

This was where the problems started. After driving the S4 I had no interest in the S3. Everything all of a sudden felt ordinary. The interior, engine noise, exterior, quality, performance blah blah.
03wrx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #38
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Good feedback guys, thanks a lot.

We didn't place order yesturday, few bits and pieces to sort out - trying to negotiate a few options into the mix at the moment - contrasting red / black leather, blacked out grill facia, the awsome S tiller, heated seats, and the Tungston wheels....

Should be a nice little package, and make a great female executives car...

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #39
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Damn it would wanna be a bloody lot better then the XR5T considering its double the price!!

I would just go an XR5T with leather and sunroof, both these options make a big difference to the feel of the XR5, then chip it up.. But comparing an S3 to an XR5T is like comparing apples with cheeries, if you feel okay in spending 75+ on a small hatch then thats totally what you do but be prepared for high cost services (unless you get it under their fixed price fleet servicing deal) and make sure you rid of it once its 5 - 6 years old!

One of my mates bought an AUDI Q5 last year and its a verrrrry nice car, the driveline in it is something plus all the LED lights etc make a nice touch, but it wasnt cheap and every option he ticked was in the 1000's, luckily enough tho he got it under fixed price fleet servicing (not 100% sure what this is) which means the services are cheaper then usual??

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 10-02-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #40
F6T
Has V8 envy

So what's the verdict Tex following the test drive??

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #41
UKXR8

I've had an XR5 (or ST-3 as it is over here) great cars well put together, sounds great and handles really well, just a bit on the thirsty side.
I've driven a few S3's, found them to be very well built, but a bit lacking in performance, that said they were the old 1.8t cars.
Just make sure you don't order them with Xenons, the price of a new bulb will give you a heart attack!
Good luck with your buy, you have an interesting choice of cars to pick from.

2003 AU3 XR8 MANUAL

1998 EL XR6
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #42
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

We picked up an S3 6 speed manual on friday arfternoon and returned it Saturday afternoon, plenty of driving on my usual strips of road.

This car was part of the Audi road show, had travelled 7500 km at the hands of journos, and has been on most race circuits around Australia. It was still drum tight, not a sungle rattle, vibration, out of place sound anywhere.

Drive Time:

2lt turbo TFSI performance very very impressive. The turbo does fall over beyond 6000rpm, but having said that - it pulls to 7000 rpm before the computer calls it quits. 0 - 100kmph run is acceptable, actually very good - having owned several Jap turbo 2lt awd cars, this thing would be right up there ***. In gear roll on, 4th 5th 6th at highway speed would be faster than any Falcon 4lt, and the 5lt of olden times. It makes nearly 400nm of torque! Roll on would leave our old model Rexes for dead....

Almost forgot to mention, average fuel consumption upon return to dealer after a couple of hundred ks - 13.4lt / 100.

Handling:
Unfussed is a good word in this instance. It does nothing wrong, feels supremely planted for a little car, feells 'heavy' on the road, through the helm. Quite lifeless really, no feedback through the wheel, it just goes where you point it. Understeer apparent while pressing on - like a very time constrained person....... but only at the limit. The tires on this particular vehicle were not great however - she's had a hard a life so far! The brakes are superb, without doubt the best stock brake package I've ever experience on a road car. And I've now driven plenty of 'performance' cars, so my impression is valid, they are damn impressive brakes. I couldn't get them to even reduce in effectiveness. The rotors are about the same size as what's on my Gt! On a car weighing a truck load less.

Interior:
Fit and finish is what you'd expect of any small 5 door that retails at around 70 grand. It is very good, but some of the plastic is a let down. The use of alloy, and switch gear quality, dials and the sports wheel are all superb. Love that flat bottomed - alloy and leather clad steering wheel, just beautiful to look at, and more importantly to use. I personally found the vehicle very small, actually cramped to be brutally honest. Having become accustomed to Falcon proportions over a long time, getting into this was, well, tight..... kept bumping elbows with the wife, and my left knee got sore pressed up against the side of the drivers footwell. Pressed brake / clutch with the one foot on more than a few occassions.

Exterior:

Again, panel fit and finish is very good, the car looks quite 'fat' from most angles, and definitely sends a "that thing looks a bit serious" message with the little S3 badging, lowered stance, the fatty wheel & tire combo, the big *** brakes and calipers, and that front end grill taken straight off space ship. A shiny spaceship at that. For a hatch, these things are pretty tough.

Verdict:

We'll order one, 4 month wait, but will be worth it. My wife loves it, and although I'd not go that far, it's a great little package, offers good brand snobbery, its subtle but tough, goes fast enough and will provide discreet, swift transit 'under the radar'.....

PS Checked out the S8, S4, RS4, and R8 at the dealership. I tried to arrange a drive in the R8.... but there's an inconsiderate 'local' down here that's probably going to throw down a deposit on Monday. So they didn't want to let it out of the showroom. Damn these blokes with 338,000 to throw at a car! I checked the stats on the S8, 5 seconds dead to 100, in a car that weighs 2 tonnes! Awsome.

GTPowner - best get that cheque book out my friend, you're attention is required down at Audi, I am sure you'll find at least one car taking your fancy mate.....

texy

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.

Last edited by tex; 21-02-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 21-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #43
F6T
Has V8 envy

Great write up again Texy. Spewing I couldnt get away for a test drive but she certainly looked the business and the first thing I noticed was the size of the bloody brakes must be (340+mm).

Test drive in the RS4 on the cards?

And sounds like our resident Neurosurgeon down here may not be the only R8 getting about town!

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #44
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
Great write up again Texy. Spewing I couldnt get away for a test drive but she certainly looked the business and the first thing I noticed was the size of the bloody brakes must be (340+mm).

Test drive in the RS4 on the cards?

And sounds like our resident Neurosurgeon down here may not be the only R8 getting about town!
Yeh, they talked about that guy, I think his is black from memory, and it's got a proper gearbox - 6 speed manual! Yeh baby!

The one that's sitting in the dealership at the moment is white, and tiptronic. it still looks great, even in storm trooper livery.

I actually loved the looks of the S4, V6 Turbo. Good stats, good sized vehicle, and packaged just superbly. If I could ever afford a Euro full size sedan, it would be one of these I think. Compared to some of the others from Merc and BM, it looks good value :

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 21-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #45
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
PS Checked out the S8, S4, RS4, and R8 at the dealership.

GTPowner - best get that cheque book out my friend, you're attention is required down at Audi, I am sure you'll find at least one car taking your fancy mate.....

texy
Was there an rs4??? one of the v8 ones??? What colour??? Cheque book is severely worn at the moment, but the bank manager is always happy to see me!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #46
tex
Broken

Mate, call in there and check them out.

The bloke to talk to is "Shane" (coincidentally), top bloke, hugely laid back, and not frightened to throw the keys........

I'm sure a genuine bloke like you could get the keys to ANY of the toys in there at the moment mate, and believe me, there is a LOT of toys in there right now.

LIKELY never to be so many premo, sports Audis in that dealership again for many years, you've got about a week i think mate.......

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 21-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #47
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Mate, call in there and check them out.

The bloke to talk to is "Shane" (coincidentally), top bloke, hugely laid back, and not frightened to throw the keys........

I'm sure a genuine bloke like you could get the keys to ANY of the toys in there at the moment mate, and believe me, there is a LOT of toys in there right now.

LIKELY never to be so many premo, sports Audis in that dealership again for many years, you've got about a week i think mate.......
I am now looking forward to tomorrow. Uni starts in town, so i was dreading hitting the books again, but now there is a little ray of sunshine!
Is Shane the blondhaired boy who looks like he belongs in a hardressing salon - effeminite with bleached teeth?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #48
tex
Broken

Hahahaahahah, no that's Geoff,

he does look like he's from a beautician salon. Nice young bloke all the same!

Shane is the older dude, dresses very sharply, although casual, maybe 45 years of age?

Geoff is on annual leave

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 13-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #49
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Re: Audi S3 owners - I want your experience

So Tex, did you end up buying the S3 ?

I'm test driving one tomorrow. Comparing it to Jaguar XE and Lexus IS 350.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #50
tex
Broken

Haven't been on this site for a LONG time, and hit new posts and found this thread lol.

Yes mate, we got the S3 with a few options.

Had it 5 years, flogged it hard. Traded it early last year on another "S" Audi so yeh, it left an impression. Great little car that soaked up a load of Kms, lots of gravel roads, took a beating tbh.

Servicing cost was bugger all, nothing broke, wore out premature. Only wear item I replaced was front pads. Cost about 500 bucks IIR as a genuine item. And the the trade / changeover price was first rate.

My experience with Audi has been a LOT better than any other brand we have owned. And we genuinely like the local dealership who go so far beyond that we experienced from other marques, I'd be really hard pressed to reconfigure the garage into not having an Audi in residence.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
6 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #51
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Well, after test driving one yesterday, I managed to get a pretty good deal on a 2016 model and placed a deposit down today.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #52
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Audi = electrical problems, possibly gearbox too if same as VW.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #53
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Audi = electrical problems, possibly gearbox too if same as VW.
Wet clutch 6 speed is fine.
Dry clutch 7 speed is the one to watch out for.

Quite a few electrical problems though, 8 months and a trip to the tribunal to get my issues sorted.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #54
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Wet clutch 6 speed is fine.
Dry clutch 7 speed is the one to watch out for.

Quite a few electrical problems though, 8 months and a trip to the tribunal to get my issues sorted.
Did they actually fix the issues with the R finally or did you manage to offload it with a refund?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #55
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Did they actually fix the issues with the R finally or did you manage to offload it with a refund?
It was the screen that needed replacing as pointed out by myself and others early on.
It took VW 8 months to finally work it out and approve a screen replacement.
It's a shame they're so difficult to deal with as car is great otherwise.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #56
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
It was the screen that needed replacing as pointed out by myself and others early on.
It took VW 8 months to finally work it out and approve a screen replacement.
It's a shame they're so difficult to deal with as car is great otherwise.
Wow all that BS for that. Great to hear. The good thing was it was fine mechanically but you still want it it work.

It sucks because pretty much everything is adjusted through it so it is a pain in the **** you had to put up with it so long but glad it is sorted.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #57
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Servicing cost was bugger all
That's quite surprising. Even though my R32 is now 5 cars ago, it left a permanent impression of how obscenely expensive the servicing was. $600 for a minor, $1.5k for a major.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #58
BA Supa Pursuit

Recently helped my mum pick a new car. Got a great deal on a s3 sedan with the 19 inch wheel/stereo/seat/suspension package. Audi were doing free servicing for three years too. Great little car, the interiors on Audis are top notch. The car itself is deceptively fast. The rs3 is a serious weapon, I'd love one.

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post