Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #31
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

its easy Norm - train hard and take supplements...cough

except the supplements have pictures of dogs and horses on them
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #32
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a new australian magazine called Natural Bodz
its apparently focused on just natural bodybuilding..
its only on its 2nd issue (at most newsagents)
seems to have some good info if people are keen to pickup somthing that isnt muscle mag or roiders are us lol
Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
its easy Norm - train hard and take supplements...cough

except the supplements have pictures of dogs and horses on them
Ive been around gyms and bodybuilding far too long George!
Gaining a lean 10KG's natural is a decent effort in itself for an Adult and takes years!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #34
eficoupe

Quote:
with all due respect there aren't many people, if any, at that height / weight (whilst staying lean) without "assistance"

thats my observation after 18 yrs weight training in many gyms in various countries
First of all by "lean" I am simply saying I don't look fat. I certainly am not about to enter a comp and I don't think I would be looking for definition in my glutes any day soon. Although big I certainly don't have that ultra lean ready to step onstage gear head look.

Secondly it took me 12 years of solid training and 3 years prior to that of less serious training to do that. Combine that with the fact that I was 20 when I began training properly and I'd say that some of that wieght will also just be as a result of generally maturing through my 20's.

Finally I can say with ABSOLUTE sincerity I have never used any illegal substances (so cheers for the cats and dogs call) in my life when it comes to my training. I have a job that relys on that. Now I'm not saying I haven't used all manner of suppliments over time as I am sure everyone here has and some with better success than others. I am not saying I am "natural" and that wasn't the premise of this thread. I thought the thread was about supplimentation for training as the title suggested so I was happy to offer my information. My appologies if I was wrong to do that or if the information was somehow offensive.

Geez guys RELAX!
eficoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #35
Scott

So, I've been on a diet for the past month (dropped around 13kgs) and am now preparing to alter my diet and cardio workouts more toward growing muscle.

In my head space, that equals eating a bit more carbs, using protein and lifting heavy stuff until I can't lift it any more. I'm not in it to be a body builder or weight lifter, just fill out the top of my shirts more than the bottom of them lol.

I'm lucky to have a pretty good natural shape and muscle (was 103kg/175cm but was mostly guessed at 85/ish) but don't really know about growing muscles.

What's good for a beginner? Are the products mentioned above suitable for someone starting out?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #36
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It took me a yr and a half to go from 69kg to 100kg, but in that 31kg gain there has been some fat added to my entire body, I expected it, you can not gain that sort of weight without gaining fat... as you have to eat enourmous ammount's of calories to gain and maintain the desired weight, especially if you are a tall slim person to begin with, which I was.
And in the beef/bulking process of my training I ate fat as it is a good source of energy, but good fat that is, to this day I still do, people get so concerned about the fat content in their diet and don't consume enough good fat to be utilised as energy and help their progress,
Fat is a nutrient that the body need's, it's all trial and error to see what your own body respond's to, but if anyone is concerned about bulking up, all you need to do is EAT,
I don't consume to much powder's these days, I did take a weight gainer powder to help kick off, but alot of these product's are full of sugar, all I take now is an unflavoured protien powder 3 times a week before my workout and after and some creatine in that mix aswell (only before the workout though) and the rest is consumed by good sources of food, I eat 2500 to 3000 cals a day, 330g of that being carb's , focusing on low GI food's and 140g of protien, tuna/cottage cheese, chicken, mmmm, and then the fat's 50-60g, and I find it work's for me.
I have bulked up to where I am happy with, although I still would like a little more but that involves eating more and taking more of my time, and at this stage of my life I am more interested in health and my own strength than being the biggest bloke out there.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

For beginners a basic protein powder is probably all you need.

For more advanced lifters creatine and pre and post workout supps are good. I've been using BSN's No Xplod which gives more energy and good pumps.

I order my stuff from www.suppking.com.au. Their mail order is good.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #38
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Guys ..I didnt want to start another thread but I need some guidance ideas. I have been 3 weeks into a training program and I can feel see my body changing .I have the body fat scales to monitor progress. My weight has dropped 2 kgs but bodyfat readings fluctuate according to this equipment. It seems innacurate. I can feel the exercises getting easier and my body feels less sloppy including my posture.

What reccomomendations do you have to lower bodyfat ? How much jogging should I be doing? It seems that after some meals the fat reading is higher and it makes me feel like I am not making the progress..I am a bit confused..any help appreciated.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #39
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

those tanita scales are very unreliable

i bought the top of the range ones here for quite a bit of money and they are horrendously unreliable......

hard to say as we are all different in how we respond to training - its mostly diet mate! Then cardio
Old 06-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #40
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
What reccomomendations do you have to lower bodyfat ? How much jogging should I be doing? It seems that after some meals the fat reading is higher and it makes me feel like I am not making the progress..I am a bit confused..any help appreciated.
Stav, I've gotta say that the transformation of my body since November 1st is staggering - to the point a couple of people I know well have almost walked past me.

I can't tell you if it's a great idea or if the weight will come piling back on if I'm not super careful about how I do it but this morning I cracked the 89's. Nov 1st I was 102.

No bread, no cereal based foods, no spuds, no carrots, no sugar, not too much grog (though I did spend a whole week in NZ pretty well drunk the whole time... and didn't exercise for that week).

My only workout is 20 mins on the treadmill every day - 2 mins at 6km/h, 1 min at 17km/h - alternating between those until I had done 20 mins.

I do the gym before dinner then go for a 30 min walk at a good pace an hour after tea.

I just made a decision that this summer I was hitting the beach and waterparks and to do that and not ruin it by being self conscious, I needed to drop fat. So that's exactly what I did.

I eat bacon & eggs for brekky, meat & salad for lunch, meat & salad for tea and snack on melon, cheese or low carb chocolate bars.

I drink quite a bit of water and still quite a bit of Diet Coke.

The structure of my diet is based on Atkins Diet which you can google and get all the details of. To date I have felt no lethargy, dizzy or anything like that so I'm pretty happy.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #41
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Thats very motivational man. I wont be relying on the tanita scales anymore. Despite my past heart probs I am not one o lay down and go soft.

At 40 I do believe that we have good levels of testosterone and hopefully I can capitalise on this to get stronger for the future .
Hmm breakfast cereal is going..I should not eat bacon but egg whites for breaky should be a good start .How about fruit?

In the morning I suppose I can integrate your treadmill for the park and do 20 minutes of high intenstity interval trainning as you have...

I am doing weights 1 hour after dinner and then stepping machine for as far as I can go wihout feeling actual pain in my ticker. In the begining it hurt a little but as I go on my heart keeps on pumping without problems..its getting better.

Do you think I can eat a fruit instead of bacon I can have a fruit for breaky?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #42
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stav go over to www.bodybuilding.com and go into the super site section
theres all articles about nutrition and training styles etc from various pros and sciency people that should give you a good idea of whats good and whats bad... by at least reading as much as you can you will be able to sort the garbage from the truth
Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #43
JoesAu

Anyone whos after cheap supplements in melbs go to (HEALTH FOR YOU) on Chappel St in pharan. Im taking 'NO explode' and the stuff is wicked awsome pumps and vascularity. Also taking Nitrotech protein i reckon this product is a little hyped up but seems ok. Im putting on around 1.2kg of muscle a month at the moment so that aint to bad for me im hard gainer weighing 69kg. Been training for the last 4months
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #44
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.bioflexnutrition.com/index.html this mob seems to be pretty well priced.. they are in tasmania but do free shipping from memory
Old 06-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Guys ..I didnt want to start another thread but I need some guidance ideas. I have been 3 weeks into a training program and I can feel see my body changing .I have the body fat scales to monitor progress. My weight has dropped 2 kgs but bodyfat readings fluctuate according to this equipment. It seems innacurate. I can feel the exercises getting easier and my body feels less sloppy including my posture.

Try googling HIIT. High intensity interval training. Its so much more effective than steady state exercises such as jogging. Anything you do in a steady state causes the body to react in a way that it starts to use muscle as an energy source instead of fat, but HIIT confuses the body because of the constant change between high and low intensity so it burns nothing but fat stores for energy. To start with try a 5 minute warmup of whatever your doing ie. running, swimming, cross trainer etc, and then do 30 seconds of flat out work, followed by 30 seconds of rest, and keep doing that for 15 minutes followed by 5 minutes of cool down. Its supposed to keep the metabolism high for close to 24 hrs compared to 2 hrs of a regular steady state workout, and it doesn't take as long either. There's plenty of info about it on the net.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #46
Scott

Quote:
Do you think I can eat a fruit instead of bacon I can have a fruit for breaky?
Yes, eat whatever fits the diet - have steak with full cream on it if you like. The theory of the diet is no carbs so fruits that have a high natural sugar level are on the outter for the first few weeks.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #47
Paddyboy

I find it amusing that people are so quick to judge or accuse. eficoupe I believe you, ive seen a couple of guys put 20kgs on in only 2-3 years.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #48
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we need people like that in this world - believers....

i find people who blindly accept everything amusing
Old 08-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #49
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
I understand this is a thread about different types of supplements. But, which powders are people using. Anything recommended?

I'm currently on Musashi 'Bulk', seems to be pretty good.
A 'bulk' protein is good if you're a skinny whippet of a bloke. Blends are good (wpi / concentrate ) for growth and, straight wpi, (weigh protein isolate) if you're watching your calories. Musashi are a great Australian brand, so you can't go wrong there. If the Musashi Bulk is working for you keep on using it. After all it's not rocket science as some would have you believe.
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #50
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:

If you're making improvements keep on doing what you're doing, Don't try to lose too much too fast, you will burn muscle instead. This will show in same body fat %age but a reduction in weight. If this happens back off the cardio a little and maybe increase lean calories by a little. The mirror tells all. Increase weight when exercises get easier. Bodyfat levels and fluids change all the time, stick to once a week tests same day, time, before training etc.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #51
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Stav, I've gotta say that the transformation of my body since November 1st is staggering - to the point a couple of people I know well have almost walked past me.

I can't tell you if it's a great idea or if the weight will come piling back on if I'm not super careful about how I do it but this morning I cracked the 89's. Nov 1st I was 102.

No bread, no cereal based foods, no spuds, no carrots, no sugar, not too much grog (though I did spend a whole week in NZ pretty well drunk the whole time... and didn't exercise for that week).

My only workout is 20 mins on the treadmill every day - 2 mins at 6km/h, 1 min at 17km/h - alternating between those until I had done 20 mins.

I do the gym before dinner then go for a 30 min walk at a good pace an hour after tea.

I just made a decision that this summer I was hitting the beach and waterparks and to do that and not ruin it by being self conscious, I needed to drop fat. So that's exactly what I did.

I eat bacon & eggs for brekky, meat & salad for lunch, meat & salad for tea and snack on melon, cheese or low carb chocolate bars.

I drink quite a bit of water and still quite a bit of Diet Coke.

The structure of my diet is based on Atkins Diet which you can google and get all the details of. To date I have felt no lethargy, dizzy or anything like that so I'm pretty happy.
Seems to work well for some, but not healthy in the long term.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #52
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am going to suggest that the majority of the supplement stuff is useless.

I am 106kg and about 16% body fat. Have been up to 118kg, and down to 96kg for competitions. I am 34, but have been doing weight for 16 years.

Between the ages of 20 to 30 you do bulk up naturally. In fact your maximum strength hits at around 28 usually.

Training is the key to gaining size, but rest is the time when you put the bulk on. If your nutrient intake is balanced for what you do, the body will use what it needs.
One way to build bulk very quickly is to overeat during training periods, then cut your calorie intake when you want to lean up for competition.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #53
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Anyone here know much about or use 100% WHEY protein?

Cheers.
Clint Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #54
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy
Seems to work well for some, but not healthy in the long term.
Agreed

Does it pass teh common sense test???

Sure you get results but focusing purely on protein isnt ideal

I would treat that regime with caution and if i were to do it I would take full blood test beforehand and at one month intervals - my two cents
Old 08-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #55
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Optimum Nutrition & Horleys are both tasty and lean proteins to keep your stomach flat.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #56
Lab_Boy

Sorry for the plug fellas but check out...

www.bioflexnutrition.com

Aussie products at great prices!

Are there any other powerlifters on this forum?

1977 351 Ford LTD!
Lab_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #57
Scott

Quote:
Agreed

Does it pass teh common sense test???

Sure you get results but focusing purely on protein isnt ideal

I would treat that regime with caution and if i were to do it I would take full blood test beforehand and at one month intervals - my two cents
Well, it seems to. The only argument of any real substance against it that I have read is that it is tough to sustain - but it's not a diet you would want to sustain is it? Losing weight forever isn't a great idea for any diet is it?

The diet is not protein focussed, it is anti-carb focussed.

Given that I eat plenty of lean meat and atleast 2 salads a day tells me it's not all bad. It's not like I don't eat any carbs, just greatly reduced amounts during the "losing" period I am currently in. I relatively eat like a king.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #58
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood
Anyone here know much about or use 100% WHEY protein?

Cheers.
im sure i looked into this product and each serving is around 80% percent protein, although the name is 100% whey. Go figure. What are you looking to do in specific?
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #59
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
im sure i looked into this product and each serving is around 80% percent protein, although the name is 100% whey. Go figure. What are you looking to do in specific?
I have been exercising for several months now,and have lost fat and gained muscle, I am just looking into differant protein powders at the moment, and havent read much bad about 100% whey protein,as part of a healthy diet, but also to help fat loss and gain muscle,just wondering if anyone has personal experience with it?
Clint Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #60
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood
I have been exercising for several months now,and have lost fat and gained muscle, I am just looking into differant protein powders at the moment, and havent read much bad about 100% whey protein,as part of a healthy diet, but also to help fat loss and gain muscle,just wondering if anyone has personal experience with it?
It's cheaper to use skim milk powder - make an ultra concentrated milkshake out of the stuff.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post