Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #31
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

hmmm someone failed to tell us the new rules. sourced from the Ministerial Council for Suicide Prevention website http://www.mcsp.org.au/suicide/questions

Is suicide illegal in Australia?
In Australia, the criminal law concerning suicide varies according to the jurisdiction in question. In all jurisdictions, suicide is no longer a crime and, except in the Northern Territory, the crime of attempted suicide has also been abolished. It is, however, still an offence for a person to assist another person to commit suicide or to attempt to commit suicide (the precise wording differs according to the jurisdiction) (Australian Institute of Criminology).

looks like the cops were telling the truth. BUT i would still charge the guy with the deliberate damage to your vehicle. although this'll probably give him a reason for atempt number two...
Old 31-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #32
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

WAIT A MINUTE... just noticed you're in Darwin.

Quote:
In all jurisdictions, suicide is no longer a crime and, except in the Northern Territory, the crime of attempted suicide has also been abolished.
Might want to research this if i was you.
Old 31-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #33
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

So... if I understand correctly... the crime for attempted suicide has been abolished in all states except the northern territory?? Thanks for the research too StAndArdAU
outback_chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I knew a guy who had a similar thing happen down here in Geelong, he was driving over the Moorabool St bridge when a guy jumped from the James Harrison bridge that passed over it down onto the road in front of him. From memory he avoided hitting him but he was pretty badly hurt.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #35
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Someone willfully damaged my car like that, they'd get their wish. But I can assure you, it would be by my doing they'd get the wish.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #36
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Someone willfully damaged my car like that, they'd get their wish. But I can assure you, it would be by my doing they'd get the wish.

Really mate I love my ute... but that is one of the last things you think about... I really was so angry at that guy but the main concern I had is what if he survived and killed someone else in the process...
Old 31-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #37
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

He wasn't a furry red- grey big eared feller with a long tail and a pouch was he?
Old 31-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #38
gemibabe

well ya learn something new every day...

Looks like its illegal to commit suicide (no point charging a dead person is there though?) but the wording is tricky, it could also be 'abolished' in the NT too, to 'attempt' suicide..
Old 31-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #39
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
He wasn't a furry red- grey big eared feller with a long tail and a pouch was he?
Do you see any fur mate?
:

This is darwin..... you see more crazy wackos than you do roos.. this happened in broad daylight down a main street... want the police job number??
Old 31-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #40
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemibabe
well ya learn something new every day...

Looks like its illegal to commit suicide (no point charging a dead person is there though?) but the wording is tricky, it could also be 'abolished' in the NT too, to 'attempt' suicide..
LOL still dont know what I was meant to learn from this one... dont drive near pedestrians?? Anyways coppers still say its not illegal to attempt suicide.
:togo:
Old 31-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #41
bluestreak
Atmo-6 CruiseMissilePilot

Location: Beechboro WA or in a deep dark hole in the desert...

A few years ago a bloke crossed the road a few kms from mine. He was on a bike, helmet sitting on his head, but not strapped up. Earphones blasting away. Crossed a busy dual carriageway without even looking.

My best mate was a passenger in the car that hit him. They had been speeding earlier, but by the time they got to where they hit him, they were well under the limit. He still died. Left a wife and a couple of young kids.

Both my mate and the driver still have the odd dream about it. Messed them both up for a bit - driver's still not 100%. My mate used to be a firefighter, so he's seen the odd car accident. But only the results. To actually be involved in it is something entirely different.

They both still think about the "what if" factor too. "What if" they hadn't been speeding - would they have still been there when the victim crossed the road? etc, etc.

In the end, I believe when it's your time to go, it's time to go. Some of the 'Gropers on here may remember that incident on the freeway a couple of years ago where a student rolled her car on the freeway at night and survived without a scratch. She got out, got on the mobile and rang her parents and boyfriend to let 'em know what had happened, and the she was okay. Couple of passersby stopped to see if she was alright, and while she was talking to them she was cleaned up and killed by a rubbernecker who lost control of his 4WD!

The others weren't even touched. Obviously - her time to go.

:

Mildly modified BF XR6 (Mine - for now)
Luxurious BFII Fairmont Ghia (Hers)
4x4 PX XLT Ranger (As soon as it gets here!!)

Ladies - if a man says he'll do a job, he will do it. There's no need to hassle him about it every six months or so...
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #42
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak
In the end, I believe when it's your time to go, it's time to go. Some of the 'Gropers on here may remember that incident on the freeway a couple of years ago where a student rolled her car on the freeway at night and survived without a scratch. She got out, got on the mobile and rang her parents and boyfriend to let 'em know what had happened, and the she was okay. Couple of passersby stopped to see if she was alright, and while she was talking to them she was cleaned up and killed by a rubbernecker who lost control of his 4WD!
I remember that. I was an hour late for work because the road was closed off.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #43
mustang70

my father was driving a light truck when a student changed lanes to have a high speed head on with him,very intentional,very ugly, head through windsreen etc
what really bothers me is the risk they are putting others at,regardless of what they want to do to themselves
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #44
klone

Suicide is a tragic reality of life. What ****es me off is the selfishness of those who choose to do it at the expense of others. The memory of such a tragic event can haunt people for the rest of their lives. If you're going to top yourself then have some decency and go out bush where no one can find you.
Old 31-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #45
Shounak

As a rider, I'd just go 0-300 in 15 seconds and aim at something solid. Of course I'd not be wearing any gear.

Isn't that a much more fun way to go than drowning or lying in the middle of a road like a half dead roo?

Agreed about not harming other people. Like that idiot on Police Rd who tried to have this big smash, ended up killing a new mother and survived. We need the equivalent of a "Gap" here like in Sydney.

But seriously, there are much more creative ways to do it. That don't put the general populace in danger.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #46
gemibabe

its such a waste of life though. If only these people could see that there is life at the end of the very dark tunnel they are in... so sad really, that people feel there is nothing left for them except death.
Old 31-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #47
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

A bloke killed himself on the our road just up a bit, He hit a massive Gum tree at over 180km/h in his SV6. I heard it go past but not the actual smash, the thing is, thats the only tree that close to the road (still across a tabledrain though) for 3 or so K's. So it was either deliberate or terrible luck.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #48
bluestreak
Atmo-6 CruiseMissilePilot

Location: Beechboro WA or in a deep dark hole in the desert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klone
...the selfishness of those who choose to do it at the expense of others... If you're going to top yourself then have some decency and go out bush where no one can find you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70
...what really bothers me is the risk they are putting others at,regardless of what they want to do to themselves
True. The problem is that if someone has reached a place where all they want is the big sleep, they aren't exactly in a stable frame of mind. There are a lot of people walking the earth and struggling to be considerate when they're not completely off-tap. Getting unhinged isn't going to see their empathy improve.

:

Mildly modified BF XR6 (Mine - for now)
Luxurious BFII Fairmont Ghia (Hers)
4x4 PX XLT Ranger (As soon as it gets here!!)

Ladies - if a man says he'll do a job, he will do it. There's no need to hassle him about it every six months or so...
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #49
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Well if he cant be charged for the suicide attempt then Willful damage to your property should be his charge. Either way, as long as you dont end up having to pay for the repairs to your ute.

Oh and good to see that YOU are ok. If he had of done it differently, who knows how you could have ended up.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #50
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
Oh and good to see that YOU are ok. If he had of done it differently, who knows how you could have ended up.
Thanks buddy... well its been a few days now and I ahvent had any bad dreams or anything sometimes I've closed my eyes and had those "what if" images... I'm not scared of driving again... but I'm just nervous about gettin behind the wheel... I'm not sure how I'm going to do.. I go on holidays to syd this week for my birthday so I hope that I get over it and feel better when I return.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #51
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Good on ya mate, that's far from serious news. I have no respect for people who want to/try to kill themselves, it is a selfish act.
i have no problem for people who want to kill themselves, only have a problem when they use other people to do it for them like those who decide to jump train tracks during peak hour and hold 200,000 people up for 3 hours or more..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #52
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

The thing is guys what your not understanding.. is when they are in this state of mind... THEY DONT CARE... they dont think and they dont realise consequences....They are not in the right state of mind...and its usually impulse..
Old 01-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #53
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we know that but its still gonna give ya the shi7z
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #54
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

LOL of course... I feel the same way.... and my reaction..

I got out of the car... went over to see if he was ok...
conversation...

Are you ok mate
Yeh.. uh no..
The ambulance is on its way... dont move..
ok
what the hell did you do that for buddy
my girl uh..she i was on the phone and she cheating with my best mate..(something along those lines)
well no chick is worth that mate...
by that time pepole were around him so I walked over to my car to see damage all I could get out at that time... walked over to him
F$%K ..
is that your car?
yeah buddy..
I'm sorry leave your name and I'll pay for it..
No mate youll talk to the coppers first..

(I felt like such a ..B$TCH.and thought about it afterwards as I did have the shits major.. I was worried about excess and insurance and costs and him..etc... then the coppers came then the shock then I just felt sorry for him and wanted to tlak to him and help him...)

Kinda weird reactions..
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #55
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_chick
Well how come the sgt told me that... and also... he did do it on purpose as he admitted it to me ands the cops.. do you think they said it wont go anywhere because of the inconvenience to them and paperwork? if you dont mind me asking how do you know? are you someone in the line of law... I really need to find exact details on this if you could help that would be great. The ambos tok him away and also said that he will be assessed etc..
Laws from state to state differ, I am in NSW, and I deal with this stuff all the time, then the ambos said they will take him to be assessed that means they will take him to a mental facility and get him to talk to a shrink, and he will also be detained until he is cleared by the shrink. then if he is cleared he may be charged by police for the damage (Malicious damage in NSW).

A lot of this depende on the actual circumstances surrounding the incident and the history of the people involved so there is no definite answer, but none the less he is reponsible for the damage to your car. If you are fully insured give his details to the insurance company and they will deal with it, not your problem.

If you are not fully insured you may have to chase him for the $$$, a real pain in the ***....
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #56
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

I am fully insured.. I will be getting the quote today sometime.

Thanks mate for the info. Appreciated.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #57
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I seriously doubt the police will charge him as depending on his medical assessment they will probably decide any charges will just make his mental state worse. The police use a similar test we do, we call it the media test. Consists of how the end result would look in the media, imagine the headline.

Man suicides after police charge him for last suicide attempt!

Anyway, the defence of a charge over the damage would be a cinch, temporary insanity, no sane person jumps into a moving car. It would be a no brainer to convince a court and he would have to seek psychiatric help, which by that time he has already done so no penalty.

In such a situation the person is compelled by the mental health act of the relevant state to be transported to the closest emergency department that has mental health for emergency assessment. I have transported hundreds post suicide attempts and no matter what the method, no charges (I know because I would have to be a witness in the proceedings).

Quote:
Suicide is a tragic reality of life. What ****es me off is the selfishness of those who choose to do it at the expense of others. The memory of such a tragic event can haunt people for the rest of their lives. If you're going to top yourself then have some decency and go out bush where no one can find you.
No matter where they do it, someone finds them and someone has that memory. Before I was a paramedic I was mountain bike riding on a small dirt track that you would not expect to find an old datsun. Well I found one and in it was a an that had suicided by gassing himself. Now as a paramedic I often go to hangings, gassings, OD's etc, all found by someone else. The only difference is the more remote, the longer it takes to find them and the more unpleasant the find, if you know what I mean.

The best advice I have heard, if you or anyone you know talks of suicide, get help. Help can be found at any hospital, police, lifeline or ambulance service. Do not assume it is attention seeking, if you are wrong the result is terrible. It is true that many suicide attempts are a cry for help but we never assume it was not for real. Many of my successful suicides that I have been to have a previous history of suicide attempts, sometimes it just takes practice to get it right.

If you have the misfortune of being exposed to this, it is often a good idea to talk to someone about it and make sure you have a plan in place of what you will do if you do have trouble dealing with it. Sometimes the adverse effects of sch a traumatic experience do not show up straight away, the first 72 hrs are the danger period. Nightmares are quite normal, I often have nightmares about fatals and suicides that I attend, it is when you lose the ability to deal with them it is an issue.

Hope this all helps a bit and if here is anything else you all want to know, give me a hoy. Just no one ask me for morbid details as I will not talk about them (you would be surprised what some ask about).
Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #58
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Thanks Gecko very helpful, and I understand completely about it all I've also talked to Victims of crime NT and they have helped me through it etc. Thanks everyone so much for their support and talk on this.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #59
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont feel like a b*tch for telling him to speak to the cops first, 1 thing you cant do is trust people in these situations, u did well mate so dont have any regrets.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #60
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Keyboard cowboy! If you really think that, you must be a very productive member of society.

To the OP - shame about your car, but at least he didn't die; that would have left mental scars for you for years no doubt.

Peuty and others that think the same way (as did I); My brother committed the "selfish" act of suicide earlier this year. While he didn't directly involve anyone else, he has left us all wondering why. His girlfriend found him - an image that will haunt her for years to come. Why did he do it? Because he took so called party drugs - "e", ice and ketamine and they screwed his brain, and he couldn't deal with the "evil spirits" any longer. His note said he was doing us a favour; but we will never truly know why; no-one who hasn''t lost their mind could know what he was going through.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post