Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Sure enough its cheaper to make in China, but just about everything made in China is absolute garbage that lasts a few days before you damage because they are so poorly made. Its an absolute disgrace that our market has been flooded by this low quality garbage that puts the quality stuff out of business, just so the greedy business people can line their own pockets due to the savings, while the consumer suffers and wastes money on a shoddy product.

Just wait till Chinese cars hit the market in a year or 2, they will be throw away within a couple of years because they will be so poorly made, or they will kill you if you have a fender bender at 30 kph.

Time for the government to do something about this mess before its too late, and the whole manufacturing industry in Australia goes belly up and we are left with nothing but cheap imported crap.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #32
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Sure enough its cheaper to make in China, but just about everything made in China is absolute garbage that lasts a few days before you damage because they are so poorly made.
That's a big call !!!

Like most things........quality is made to order at a price. There are certainly products that are made in China the equal of or better than any aussie made equivalents.

The biggest problem ( and the harsh reality ) as I see it is that most companies that outsource in China ( Aussie companies included ) will REQUEST the cheaper quality products in order to gain bigger margins in their respective domestic markets.

The Chinese are only too happy to oblige and individual Chinese companies in China will gear their factories accordingly.........section A will make quality products, whilst at the back of the same factory you'll get the same product made with inferior materials based on the price the buyer is willing to pay.

We just don't have the scale of economy or the regulations that will allow that sort of practice here in AU......nor the wage tolerance to allow for cheaper manufacturing.

It's unfortunate that these things will happen............but..........it is almost always driven by the consumer. Check the clothing and electrical items and kids toys in your house to see how bad it really is.

I'm sorry to say that I have probably contributed to this sort of disaster personally on many occasions...........hell.............my X Force exhaust is manufactured in CHINA............probably fed 10 families over there.........and put 1 family out of business here somewhere.............It really is shameful...........but the cost v quality isn't always justifiable and this is what makes it so hard to ALWAYS buy AUSSIE made and AUSSIE owned............The X Force is excellent quality all round. The design, the welds, the look and so far the performance has been brilliant.......hard to beat really considering the alternatives were WAYYYY.....more expensive.

I feel for the poor workers at PB as I was recently also the subject of a possible redundancy.........but thankfully it was overturned and I now have a secure job........for the foreseeable future anyways...........not a nice feeling and certainly turns your life and your family's life upside down..........leaves you feeling empty and very scared.

I wish them all the best and a speedy recovery in their search for alternative employ.........it's getting real tuff out there.........and I fear the March quarter results may bring even further bad tidings for lots of other industries as well.

Last edited by Whitey-AMG; 28-02-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the china of old is almost gone.... There is a miss-conception that china employ slave labour and pay 1c per day... its far more civilized there now.
Some exceptionally high quality stuff can come out of china.. there's good and bad manufacturing over there, the standard of living and working conditions is rapidly climbing as is the cost of manufacturing/wages etc.
Im sure the shareholders will be happy to see their share prices and dividends increase if this move comes off.
Had we supported them at the cash register im sure this move wouldnt had happened, but the aussie way is to shop on price....
None the less its sad we can't compete and even sadder to see aussie manufacturing fold...

Old 28-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I think the china of old is almost gone.... There is a miss-conception that china employ slave labour and pay 1c per day... its far more civilized there now.
Some exceptionally high quality stuff can come out of china.. there's good and bad manufacturing over there, the standard of living and working conditions is rapidly climbing as is the cost of manufacturing/wages etc.
From what I saw when I was over there this is true.
Problem is China is becoming to expensive...Vietnam is the new China apparently.

Mind you in terms of quality, they are getting better but not Japanese quality (IMO).
Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #35
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This isn't the first time that pacific Brands has moved production overseas.

Only a few years ago they shut down the spring section at Sleepmaker and moved it to China. There were 38 jobs lost in Sydney alone.

This has been in the planning stage for quite some time, it's just that now with the way the economy is it makes bigger news than if the economy was going good.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post