Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #31
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: From senator to saw mill owner, the rise and rise of Ricky Muir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Still think someone like Pauline Hanson will be PM within 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express
Not while there is compulsory voting it won't.
ha! compulsory voting is exactly why she'll get in. As long as people are forced to turn up on polling day they will keep on just ticking the boxes at random or voting for people who promise them bread and circuses, or who feed their prejudices by fearmongering. A democratic system of government is great as long as people seriously consider who they are putting their vote in for, but as soon as you make it compulsory for bogans you are stuffed.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #32
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
ha! compulsory voting is exactly why she'll get in. As long as people are forced to turn up on polling day they will keep on just ticking the boxes at random or voting for people who promise them bread and circuses, or who feed their prejudices by fearmongering. A democratic system of government is great as long as people seriously consider who they are putting their vote in for, but as soon as you make it compulsory for bogans you are stuffed.
I think you are wrong and a big call. To do that she would need around 70+ members in the HoR. How many does she have now?
Old 21-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #33
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
C'mon you got get you news from somewhere, please do tell what is the best source of media news, remember now you have left yourself open to be flamed.
Top_Ghia is correct, no matter the flamers will always flame, sit on their *****, p!ss and moan and do nothing else.

Have a read...

http://medialaunch.com.au/media-rele...s-at-warragul-

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sen...be3acb87657278

http://www.anfwdc.asn.au/events.php?id=99

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...thusiast-29194

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...e-wants-to-do/

http://autotalk.com.au/industry-news...ar-repair-data
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2016, 11:34 PM   #34
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I couldn't care less about Ricky Muir as he's come and gone and his time in parliament is now yesterday's news but most of what you've posted is about issues he supports or supported but very little about any real proactive push or stance on his part as it's mainly about his support of the efforts of other organisations.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2016, 11:46 PM   #35
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
You seriously think that's possible in a 10 year timeframe?

Too many people are not stupid enough to fall for scaremongering no matter what angle is comes from.

Compulsory voting also means many people have formed years of allegiances to parties and it would take a seismic shift to give a new party the numbers required to gain power.

If it were ever to happen it wouldn't come from someone as polarising as Hanson it would most likely be someone more towards the middle like Xenophon and even he couldn't achieve that in a couple of terms.
Old 22-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #36
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
You seriously think that's possible in a 10 year timeframe?

Too many people are not stupid enough to fall for scaremongering no matter what angle is comes from.

Compulsory voting also means many people have formed years of allegiances to parties and it would take a seismic shift to give a new party the numbers required to gain power.

If it were ever to happen it wouldn't come from someone as polarising as Hanson it would most likely be someone more towards the middle like Xenophon and even he couldn't achieve that in a couple of terms.
Your memory must be failing you, because One Nation were a major force in Qld politics a few elections ago, such was the threat One Nation presented to the conservative vote that the Liberals hatched a plan to put Pauline in jail. One Nation will phoenix at the next Qld state election simply because Qld is a semi-basket case and One Nation policies run well with those people doing it tough. Finally Qld currently has an idiot masquerading and a premier, and a dysfunctional opposition, so Pauline is well positioned.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #37
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I wish I could share your confidence.

Recent elections make me think otherwise.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #38
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Quote:

Sadly not true, look at our last election. Labor Medi-scare campaign.
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #39
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And don't forget the power of social media, where targeted propaganda manifests across hundreds of thousands of gullible fools.

That's how mediscare got its legs. There should have been criminal charges over that.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 12:47 AM   #40
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

The core of the electorate is still voting for the two major parties (Labor & the LNP) regardless of which way the scaremongering swings them.

The others only make up the numbers and even though they may at times have a big influence on how our politics work when it comes to passing legislation, they come and go.

While we still have compulsory voting there will be too many educated voters (even if disillusioned by our two party preferred system) who will keep the minor single focus parties at bay and these minor parties have too many conflicting agendas to unite.

I can’t honestly see that changing in the next 10 years where Australians will vote and risk handing control to someone like Pauline Hanson’s party.

I won’t argue that our current political system isn’t definitely on that nose but most of us won’t cut that nose off to spite our face.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong but I have faith that Australians aren’t as dumb in the numbers some of you think.

The patriotic/nationalistic emotion that brought a quarter of the US to vote for a candidate and not a party believing Trump will change their lives for the good isn’t precipitated in those types of numbers in Australia.

If Trump fails with his promises in the US, it will also have an on flow effect for the support of those types of movements in other parts of the western world.
Old 23-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #41
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
The core of the electorate is still voting for the two major parties (Labor & the LNP) regardless of which way the scaremongering swings them.

The others only make up the numbers and even though they may at times have a big influence on how our politics work when it comes to passing legislation, they come and go.

While we still have compulsory voting there will be too many educated voters (even if disillusioned by our two party preferred system) who will keep the minor single focus parties at bay and these minor parties have too many conflicting agendas to unite.

I can’t honestly see that changing in the next 10 years where Australians will vote and risk handing control to someone like Pauline Hanson’s party.

I won’t argue that our current political system isn’t definitely on that nose but most of us won’t cut that nose off to spite our face.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong but I have faith that Australians aren’t as dumb in the numbers some of you think.

The patriotic/nationalistic emotion that brought a quarter of the US to vote for a candidate and not a party believing Trump will change their lives for the good isn’t precipitated in those types of numbers in Australia.

If Trump fails with his promises in the US, it will also have an on flow effect for the support of those types of movements in other parts of the western world.
The opposite is also on the cards. If he succeeds, if only in part, then that will encourage similar movements in other parts of the world, including here. Imagine a scenario where Trump does some good for the US and doesn't completely shaft the rest of the world, and someone like Nick Xenophon agrees with some of his policies, then throws in a couple of his own to stir up the local masses, it's not inconceivable that great swathes of the great unwashed and the disillusioned will vote him and his party into a position of real power. Maybe not PM, but make him a real force and a 3rd major party in the house. The same can be said for Hansons party, god forbid.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #42
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I couldn't care less about Ricky Muir as he's come and gone and his time in parliament is now yesterday's news but most of what you've posted is about issues he supports or supported but very little about any real proactive push or stance on his part as it's mainly about his support of the efforts of other organisations.
You missed the point, that is what I found in a few minutes with google.
It doesn't matter anyway some like to adhere to flawed perceptions and it is not my job to convince otherwise.
Old 30-11-2016, 01:54 AM   #43
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Given you've already done the research why not make us all the wiser and list his failed motorist initiatives.
Typical of those who can not research, "you do it for me". Parallel imports was one of the things that Ricky negotiated with Abbott when could see the end of car manufacturing in Australia.

Now, get off your bum and do some research in Hansard for yourself.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #44
lyonsy

id rather Muir the a sleeping Darren Hinch or a loud mouth Jacqui Lambie.
he could of gone the Lambie/Hanson route and jsut become a loud mouth sprouting off on all types of nonsense and if he had he probabaly would of been reelected but he chose to learn the game and basically was out of the news for 2 years had started to become competent and was raising some valid points and arguing them competently.
Then to top it off he voted against something that was going to cause a double dissolution election if he voted against it and most likely loose his seat, this was something he knew and still did it because he thought it was the right thing to do for the COUNTRY not him.

BTW if get rid of compulsory voting all you will get is extremist politics like in the states where you have to be an extremist to be herd (remember about 1/5th the population of america elected a president to govern the other 4/5th's and they wounder why there is issues), thankfully we have to all vote even if its a donkey which while it helps the 2 party system also keeps the politics in the center not going ether to the left or right
lyonsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post