Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #31
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: 98 fuel,14cents per litre lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
And the fuel station buys the fuel from a manufacturer and then throws there couple of cents on. The independent isn't making fuel out the back and making huge profits.
We make just over 1.5c on fuel.
Old 21-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #32
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlake View Post
I did do the maths. At the most saving $20 a can. Even if the savings was $7 that is a lot of effort for such a piddly amount of money. Anyone going that far must be so desperate. You would get a better ROI by having one less beer.

And his car was near empty and took say 65 litres. Now do the maths again The free jerrys was just a bonus
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Crooks!!
Old 21-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #34
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Yeah about 8c isn't it
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #35
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I wish, but not even close less than 2c and when the pumps/tanks need re-certified it wont be worth it so will stop providing fuel.

Funny how people think there is money in it for the servo especially us independents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Crooks!!
Sorry I didnt account for point of sale rental
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Unmanned servo? Don't have these in Sydney as far as I'm aware. So you just pay at the pump with your card I take it?

This story reminds me of the time I was 15 and went to Timezone to spend a few bucks. Put a $10 note into the change machine, pressed $1 coins and got 10 x $2 coins. Yep, the guy that filled the machine switched the coins around.

Pulled out the remaining $150 from my wallet and made a tidy profit that day

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #37
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_AUXR8 View Post
Wouldn't the employee have twigged when he saw all the cars lined up, filling up but he's only doing transactions of $7 at a time? Someone would have had to notice...disgruntled employee maybe?
What does the first line of the first post say??

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #38
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Unmanned servo? Don't have these in Sydney as far as I'm aware. So you just pay at the pump with your card I take it
They are popular in the country areas, my local servo is unmanned, most county areas have them, no point manning a station that may get 3-5 customers a day.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #39
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Wow, some of you guys have NO idea how a servo operates. There is bugger all in fuel, as alluded to above (1.5c/L sounds about right). That's why most servos have a shop, where they can make some real money. The fuel is just the hook to get you in the shop.

We used to make more profit in a bottle of Coke than we would on 100 litres of fuel. That shows you how tight the margins are in fuel. So those people who think the business owner is a crook and ripping people off, just have a look at his P&L. You would be very surprised...
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #40
99AUXR
Brad

Shhh dont tell them about the coke
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #41
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
Wow, some of you guys have NO idea how a servo operates. There is bugger all in fuel, as alluded to above (1.5c/L sounds about right). That's why most servos have a shop, where they can make some real money. The fuel is just the hook to get you in the shop.

We used to make more profit in a bottle of Coke than we would on 100 litres of fuel. That shows you how tight the margins are in fuel. So those people who think the business owner is a crook and ripping people off, just have a look at his P&L. You would be very surprised...
That's they way I've always understood it, didn't Mobil pulled out of NZ because they pumps weren't profitable?

But how does an unmanned station make enough profit? do they have an unmanned store LOL
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
That's they way I've always understood it, didn't Mobil pulled out of NZ because they pumps weren't profitable?
Mobil pulled out of Australia as well. They're only a supplier now.
Old 22-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #43
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Quote:

But how does an unmanned station make enough profit? do they have an unmanned store LOL
Its passive income. Same as making money out of a rental property or storage units.
You do basically no work you show up once a day to make the prices and take a delivery of fuel. So your there for an hour. People pump and pay on their own so that 1.5c per litre that you make is all "profit" as you dont have to pay anybody to work there. Thats 2250 dollars every month (based on average sales of fuel being 150,000L at profit of 1.5c per L) for doing an hours work a day average.
You could still work a full time or part time job while running a servo and have an extra 2K a month average. Good investment if you ask me.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #44
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amateurs buying Jerry Cans. I'd have hooked up the box trailer and sourced a 1000L cube tank.
Unfortunate really that I have no petrol powered cars though, But the mower would have been set for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I would have filled up at that price, then told the operator of the issue after I paid.
You'd have spoken to the bowser??
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #45
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza91 View Post
Its passive income. Same as making money out of a rental property or storage units.
You do basically no work you show up once a day to make the prices and take a delivery of fuel. So your there for an hour. People pump and pay on their own so that 1.5c per litre that you make is all "profit" as you dont have to pay anybody to work there. Thats 2250 dollars every month (based on average sales of fuel being 150,000L at profit of 1.5c per L) for doing an hours work a day average.
You could still work a full time or part time job while running a servo and have an extra 2K a month average. Good investment if you ask me.
Unless you have a computer issue or a keying error and then you lose far more than that. And you still can't win, because everything thinks you are a rip-off bastard.

I was working for Mobil Quix, the P&L statements always looked a little sad because it's not cheap operating a servo. I found that it was usually the rent for the land that killed profits, and you had to walk a tightrope with your payroll otherwise you were in the red. There are far more businesses I would consider investing in first before a servo.

Tight margins on fuel, I wouldn't want to make that my sole game. You need other stuff to bump up the take.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #46
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is that assuming you pay no rental costs or maintenance at all?

At $500 per week you'd run at a loss with rent and maintenance.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #47
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

True. I hadnt factored in the cost of land. Slipped my mind apparently.

Personally wouldnt ever get into the petrol game myself.

If i was going to run a passive business it would definitely be storage units. Easiest business by far.

Now if only i could afford to build some......
Old 22-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #48
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You have to consider the ROI of building the actual Station cost of the land etc, on going rates etc.
I see where you are coming from, but it looks to me like a very long term investment.

and I think the owner has just made it an even longer term
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #49
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Quote:
You have to consider the ROI of building the actual Station cost of the land etc, on going rates etc.
I see where you are coming from, but it looks to me like a very long term investment.

and I think the owner has just made it an even longer term
Indeed when factoring in those pieces of the puzzle it is a long term investment.

I still stand by my last statement that a block of storage units would be much better.

Faster ROI due to minimal expenses and high profit margins.

Definitely something im looking at doing in the future. I need something to live on in my retirement, thankfully for me i have another 40 years to work towards it
Old 22-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #50
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The poor bloke who runs the joint has apparently lost $10s of thousands out of this debacle. And also faces potential fines for selling fuel at a ridiculous price. I dont think the fines are necessary given that its a genuine accident, and fines on top of the $10s of thousands he is already out of pocket for, he very well could be facing closure. I really feel for the poor bloke, I run a small business and know how easy it is to be looking at closure for one simple little mistake.
On the opposite hand there is an incredible amount of people who just saved a fortune on petrol prices.
Do you think it will be the government handing out the fines, just to catch up on all the "excise" they were screwed out of

Hope the owner doesn't go to the wall.
What would you say to the Mrs if she was the one who entered the amount incorrectly
Old 22-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #51
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowdit View Post
Do you think it will be the government handing out the fines, just to catch up on all the "excise" they were screwed out of

What would you say to the Mrs if she was the one who entered the amount incorrectly
The Govt won't miss out.It gets its Ripoff taxes when the oil company sell the product not when the retailer sells,so the Govt probably gain a little through increased sales when he has to fill his tanks sooner rather than later.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #52
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowdit View Post

Of course, the government makes more out of petrol than anybody else.

oooooohhhh the Mrs wont like being told she messed up. Somehow its never their fault. Ive learnt to just take it on the chin and say yes dear its my fault and avoid the ****storm that occurs when she tells you all the ways in which it was you that made her mess up
Old 22-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #53
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an unmanned Puma near me, it's actually at the depot. You fuel up right next to all the trucks that are filling up to take the fuel out to the stations.

You go to a machine and select $50 of fuel or whatever, then go back and put it in the car. Not entirely sure what happens if you choose $50 and only put in $30, I can usually guess pretty accurately how much to fill up.

Tell you what, there's been plenty of times the 98 has been cheaper than 91 everywhere else.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #54
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not that self-righteous as to blame individuals who filled up, its hard to resist a bargain, and hard to know exactly what is the right course of action. But the owners misfortune is nothing to be applauded.

It's damm hard to make a living as a small business owner in this country.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 22-10-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #55
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I had a big nibble of that cherry. It's right next to my local supercheap. All the cars and jerry cans caught my eye.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 10:32 PM   #56
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

If this mistake is going to cost the owner 10's of thousands, then they need to put a system in where they type the price 3 times correctly before its taken. And then maybe triple check price afterwards!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #57
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
I had a big nibble of that cherry. It's right next to my local supercheap. All the cars and jerry cans caught my eye.
I would have been on it like a fat kid on a cupcake if I had the chance.
Back on the fuel price,if servos only make 1.5 cents per litre why is it that some servos can be 20 cents cheaper than others some days,had it the other day at my local servo,$1.30 odd for 98 while the others were all $1.50ish,surely they wont take a 20 cent loss per litre to make a few bucks on cans of cool drink?
How is that explainable?
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 12:01 AM   #58
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Back on the fuel price,if servos only make 1.5 cents per litre why is it that some servos can be 20 cents cheaper than others some days,had it the other day at my local servo,$1.30 odd for 98 while the others were all $1.50ish,surely they wont take a 20 cent loss per litre to make a few bucks on cans of cool drink?
How is that explainable?
many years ago i worked in a busy servo , northern burbs of melbourne, the manager told me they didn`t make much on the fuel , but make a killing on the ciggys and drinks, and do ok out of the work shop, so im guessing fuel is more of a draw card to get people in to the shop buying other stuff for a lot of servos.
id guess those equipped with car wash facilities may make a bit there too.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #59
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
How is that explainable?
Isn't an independent more able to skew the figures and take the risk of under reporting the volume sold and not pay the gov't fuel levy on certain portion of fuel sold? Or is the levy paid by the fuel supplier ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #60
99AUXR
Brad

Paid buy supplier well at least it is here in nz.