Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #31
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Would you buy a last aussie commodore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayson View Post
No doubt its sad they stop production. No disputing this.

But the fact is that holden have been openly working with their employees to find other work.. the best employees are long gone. For those that remain they must be thinking about their futures, how they will pay their kids school fees, not worried about screwing together a commodore for an employer leaving them in the lurch.

Holden (and ford) have really tugged the emotional heart strings to move the last cars, consumers should be boycotting them for abandoning australian workers and then tomorrow selling us imported cars to make more money . hoodwinked us.

These cars need people to check quality issues. They cannot be serious if they think quality is as good as it would have been a year ago. No way.

My fgx xr8 has its motor initialled and built by the head of motor building at ford. Im proud of that. To say people have no input to the quality of these cars??

The last cars have to be compromised.
Surely you are taking the ****??

Consumers should be boycotting them you say, if consumers should have done anything, it was buy the bloody cars instead of some import rubbish.

I had to laugh when I saw the small business owners concerned about the impact on their business, I'd go out on a limb and say the car they drive probably didn't get built in this country...
Hypocrites!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #32
cobra235

Wrong place to talk about holdens i know,but if any ones interested there is a hq ss 253 v8 in red coming up for sale here in perth.Not many of those around.Only 2800 made only in 3 colours (green purple and red)4 speed manual only.
cobra235 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #33
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Surely you are taking the ****??

Consumers should be boycotting them you say, if consumers should have done anything, it was buy the bloody cars instead of some import rubbish.

I had to laugh when I saw the small business owners concerned about the impact on their business, I'd go out on a limb and say the car they drive probably didn't get built in this country...
Hypocrites!
Sadly this is the truth. Nobody cares where their car was made anymore. I am one of the few who would rather walk than drive a car made in the country that sealed our industry's demise: thailand. And thanks to the gov't weird affection for helping third world hole countries, that they signed a one-way free trade agreement where any auto exports to there were taxed heavily , whilst the reverse had nil tax...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #34
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Sadly this is the truth. Nobody cares where their car was made anymore. I am one of the few who would rather walk than drive a car made in the country that sealed our industry's demise: thailand. And thanks to the gov't weird affection for helping third world hole countries, that they signed a one-way free trade agreement where any auto exports to there were taxed heavily , whilst the reverse had nil tax...
Who put the car factories in Thailand, the same companies that pulled out of Australia.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #35
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would I prefer to buy a car made in Australia? Absolutely.

Would I buy one just because it is? Hell no.

I would like to be in the position to buy a new car at the moment, but it wouldn't be a Commodore. Nor would it be another Falcon. A 4WD would suit my lifestyle at the moment far more than these cars, and that's the more important part.

And buying one to keep in a garage to say I've got one doesn't appeal. If I have a car I want to drive it.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #36
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Who put the car factories in Thailand, the same companies that pulled out of Australia.
Believe it or not, car building is a global business, and they build where the volume is. GFC ensured marginal manufacturing plants like Australia's had to come to an end.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #37
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

We do not drive Fords to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A Holden confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #38
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
We do not drive Fords to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A Holden confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.
If that what you think?

To me, Falcon and Commodore are like siblings. Brothers with different fathers, same mother(land). The competition between them was in good fun.

The real enemy was those Japanese and Korean kids.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #39
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
If that what you think?

To me, Falcon and Commodore are like siblings. Brothers with different fathers, same mother(land). The competition between them was in good fun.

The real enemy was those Japanese and Korean kids.
Yes, falcon and commodore are like half-brothers who never got along. Both have yank ancestry, regardless of the holden commodore being the favoured brother in local culture.

The real enemy is Thailand. Read a news article about the reaction of staff at the thai factories to the closure of Australian factories , and their response was zero hoots given.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #40
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Yes, falcon and commodore are like half-brothers who never got along. Both have yank ancestry, regardless of the holden commodore being the favoured brother in local culture.

The real enemy is Thailand. Read a news article about the reaction of staff at the thai factories to the closure of Australian factories , and their response was zero hoots given.
I'm sorry, but what would you expect of them?
Did anyone here cry a river for those factories closing in Spain, the US, etc?
Old 27-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #41
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I'm sorry, but what would you expect of them?
Did anyone here cry a river for those factories closing in Spain, the US, etc?
They were just factories, not the whole industry gone ..

If Ford and Holden were just reproducing models also manufactured overseas then the lost of jobs is tragic.

But they also made "Australian" cars, which weren't like stuff sold OS.
Yes, some had American hearts but they were different .. usually hybrids between American and European .. so American's thought they were too European, and Europeans thought they were too American.
Performance four doors, but re-configurable into wagons, sometimes coupes, sometimes AWD, sometimes 4-door utes, and my personal favourite real coupe utilities (not pickups).
Stuff you could drive to work everyday, cart the kids and dog on a trip, tow a boat, and head off to the drags if that was your thing ...

I'll miss the real versatility of the Aussie car .. like Falcon, RIP Commodore (last of the real Holdens).

Oh .. would I buy last of the Commodores .. V8 one yes (never likes the Alloytec)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #42
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
They were just factories, not the whole industry gone ..

If Ford and Holden were just reproducing models also manufactured overseas then the lost of jobs is tragic.

But they also made "Australian" cars, which weren't like stuff sold OS.
Yes, some had American hearts but they were different .. usually hybrids between American and European .. so American's thought they were too European, and Europeans thought they were too American.
Performance four doors, but re-configurable into wagons, sometimes coupes, sometimes AWD, sometimes 4-door utes, and my personal favourite real coupe utilities (not pickups).
Stuff you could drive to work everyday, cart the kids and dog on a trip, tow a boat, and head off to the drags if that was your thing ...

I'll miss the real versatility of the Aussie car .. like Falcon, RIP Commodore (last of the real Holdens).

Oh .. would I buy last of the Commodores .. V8 one yes (never likes the Alloytec)
So that's a no
Old 27-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #43
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, I never bought any of the previous ones so not about to buy one of the last ones either.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #44
Ashdaw

No, I never bought one and I would not consider buying one now.
Bye bye GM
Old 29-10-2017, 01:33 AM   #45
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No good for scrapmetal after few years on the road
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post