Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #31
paulvdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The same engine that got bagged by every motoring journo in Oz for being no better than the boat anchor it replaced.
There's nothing boat anchor in this engine apart from the heavy-ish block. Independant variable cam, dual knock sensors, 24 valves, variable length intake isn't stone age at all. I'd rather have the 380Nm at normal revs than 300 at 5000rpm like some of it's competitors.

As cars get heavier the manufacturers will be wishing they had more torque rather than needing 20 forward gears and 4 reverse gears in the gearbox.
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 12:26 AM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well if m3 is there best i6 with 365 nm @ 5000 then my old au rapes it in torque department, 374nm@3500,.......... they can keep their beemer
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 12:38 AM   #33
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Hopefully the new improvements in effciency and fuel consumption will really bolster the sales of the BF. Given the current price of petrol, a major selling point of cars at the moment is fuel usage, it would be nice to see a falc that out does its rivals.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 12:46 AM   #34
big_waity
Windsor Man!

That's a whole lotta reading! I'm far too tired for this!
Old 22-10-2005, 08:19 AM   #35
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Yes but as Australia's smartest engine... is it smart enough to run direct injection (like the HFV6). ;)

I know, I'm a party pooper!
No, you're no party pooper, you're an idiot.

Direct injection is good on one kind of engine only - Diesels. (Brass Injectors)
On petrol engines direct injection has pluses but many minuses in particular, higher combustion temperatures and then heatsoak (combination of mild steel and high temperature plastic like the pinnacle caps). Don't believe me, check how many HV6 have had injector problems already, you'll be surprised.

Seriously though, if all you're going to do is bag ford then disappear to LS1. You being on a ford forum says alot. I know holden haven't made a decent car since the fj (thats why they revived it at the SMS), so does that mean that they can't even make a decent forum for the hapless morons who were suckered into a purchase too?

My suggestion would be to eat a bag of sugar before you espouse your sour grapes about the ford engine - it is the best Australian engine ever built. The fact that you have to buy a high end model just to get on terms with the power of a base model ford, and never actually match the torque of the ford, speaks volumes about Holdens development. Face it, Ford spent their money refining a decent motor, Holden spent their money completely replacing theirs.
And now ford has fuel economy too, the last thing holden held over them.

At the moment Ford take the crown for the best designed and engineered engine produced in Australia. But don't worry, when the new VE comes out next year, it should have all the fruit of Daewoo in it.

Hopelessness
Of
Lacklustre
Designers
Espousing
Nonsense

or

Hardly
Original
Locally
Designed
Eccentric
Nonsense

Quote:
Powered by GE

Last edited by ltd; 22-10-2005 at 08:46 AM. Reason: duplication
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #36
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Heaps
Of
Losers
Drive
Em
Now
Old 22-10-2005, 09:29 AM   #37
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Heaps
Of
Losers
Drive
Em
Now
Well said.

SSBABY, apologies for calling you an idiot, I confused you with another SS poster. My bad.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvdb
There's nothing boat anchor in this engine apart from the heavy-ish block. Independant variable cam, dual knock sensors, 24 valves, variable length intake isn't stone age at all. I'd rather have the 380Nm at normal revs than 300 at 5000rpm like some of it's competitors.

As cars get heavier the manufacturers will be wishing they had more torque rather than needing 20 forward gears and 4 reverse gears in the gearbox.
I was refering to Holden V6's as boat anchors, not Ford engines.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
No, you're no party pooper, you're an idiot.

Seriously though, if all you're going to do is bag ford then disappear to LS1. You being on a ford forum says alot. I know holden haven't made a decent car since the fj (thats why they revived it at the SMS), so does that mean that they can't even make a decent forum for the hapless morons who were suckered into a purchase too?

Apparently he's already been kicked off LS1 (there's a suprise) so he has come over here to annoy us instead.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #40
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I was refering to Holden V6's as boat anchors, not Ford engines.
The Boss is the best boat anchor.... :hihi:

The Holden V6 is the best chauffcutter going, even for a 40 year old donk...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #41
nobbystang

Have just put a deposit on the new BF XR6 and am looking forward to picking it up next week, however i am unsure especially after watching aca whether or not to run premium through it. i was adamant it would be better until i read the article about their story as i missed the show due to work. What do you guys reckon, worth the extra $$$ or are these engines designed to run well on normal and premium is just for the turbos??
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #42
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
Have just put a deposit on the new BF XR6 and am looking forward to picking it up next week, however i am unsure especially after watching aca whether or not to run premium through it. i was adamant it would be better until i read the article about their story as i missed the show due to work. What do you guys reckon, worth the extra $$$ or are these engines designed to run well on normal and premium is just for the turbos??
I have a ba xr6 turbo and yes 98 is the best for these i also have a territory and run it on 95 as this seems to give it better response and there is a marked improvement in economy
so i would use 95 in the standard xr6.

Ian
Old 01-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #43
nobbystang

thanks for the reply
Old 01-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #44
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any chance you asked for covers for the fog lights to be included in your deal? They are prone to breakage from stones and cost $110 each to replace. Covers are around $80pr. Something to think about for anyone buying an XR or FPV with these lights.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #45
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I've run nothing but 91 in mine so far.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #46
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
6 speed auto????
Old 01-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #47
nobbystang

of course six speed auto, well worth the extra grand and a bit. yes i am getting the fog lamp covers, only $50 so money well spent. got the black xr, just have to get windows tinted when i pick it up, can't convince the minister for war and finance we need to spend extra on alpine speakers and amp so will have to suffice with what i got, if i get to drive it!!!

fantz, how do you find it with the 91, ever run anything higher to compare??
Old 02-03-2006, 12:04 AM   #48
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

No i haven't as yet, i probably will soon though, might run a little 95 through it then some 98. I'm pretty sure it says in the manual that e-blend (ethanol) fuel is ok in it too. Runs pretty well on 91, plenty of power.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 PM   #49
parawolf
beep beep

My BA never ran any better apart from on pure highway work on higher than 91. Feeding it 98 gave it no more 'bum of the seat' and only gave it about .2L/100km on the freeway.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #50
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

[QUOTE=BuuBox]The only benefit of a V6 is packaging, tied with a whole lot of compromises. If you want a severe example of these compromises, drive a 3.8 litre VN. QUOTE]

You do know that the 3.8 Holden engine is a 5.0 litre (Yank engine) with 2 cylinders lopped off it?

GM kept the V8 90degree cylinder bank angle rather than redesign it to the better for V6 balance 60 degree cylinder bank angle. They added balance shafts later on, etc but that isn’t the way most people would design a V6 if they had a clean sheet of paper.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #51
1TUFFUTE
Banned

if u ask me the only thing fords missing for this great new class leading six engine....its own AIRBAGS
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #52
ba2?
RWD Territory

Does anyone know what the Barra 190 weighs? What about the DOHC V6 Holden engines. Just wondering...

Dave
ba2? is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #53
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Barra 190 'owns' the 182 in a few ways. Firstly, more torque at lower revs helps these 1700kg slugs get off the line a little faster. Also, there's more peak power and at higher revs too . Fuel consumption is also slightly better.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #54
PoMmYwOG

im yet to drive BF , but i rekon the barra engine is really great. Soo much smoother than the ecotech v6 i had, not to mention the amount of torque compared to the ecotech. Dont think id go back to holden.
Next car will either be a XR6T/Typhoon or a bmw.
Someone was saying ealier in this thread how high the m3 needs to rev to get torque, i think its doing allright getting that much torque out of a 3.2L I've driven a 2004 m3 and ill tell you now, that car is a machine and the 6spd smg gearbox is unreal...hope ford would adopt something like that int he future... the computer controls a clutch, it even revs the engine between changes to match revs ...all u do is floor it steer and tap the gearstick/peddles and brake.

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #55
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

The BF I6 I don't belive is all that massive weight wise.

It certainly is a fantastic engine. The upgrades over the BA are nice. More low down torque, more refinement, more power, more economy. Combined with the 6 speed auto, its brillant.

It ticks all the boxes. I don't think there is a better all round six out there and combined with the six speed its unbeatable.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #56
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just start up a Barra182 then jump into a Barra190 and the improvement in refinement is quite noticable....and the Barra182 is good to start with.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #57
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woah guys have a look at when this thread was started..... might explain a few things...
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #58
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Thread mining at its finest, you better watch out for the 'black lung'

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #59
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats thread mining? :
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #60
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

digging up a thread that died about 2 years ago.

Doesnt change the fact the I6 is a honey. So glad they kept it and didn't get a crap V6.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post