Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #31
hayseed

Default Re: Environmentally-backwards Australia becoming an “automotive third world," Volkswagen claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Not fair for people who live regional as they travel further than metropolitan Melbourne residents - they're basically being punished for living away from Melbourne.

I'm against the idea, I live regional

Nor do people in regional areas have access to decent (or any) Public Transport..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Environmentally-backwards Australia becoming an “automotive third world," Volkswagen claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
then you do more wear and tear to the roads
Then stop centralizing services and employment around Melbourne and then I won't use the road to wear it out more if I don't have to travel there

If you want me to move to Melbourne then index my wages on Melbourne's housing market, should put me at circa $190K PA if you work on house price divided by 5

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-03-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #33
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
The simplest way is to change registration to a kilometre based system, instead of weight or cylinder count depending on state.
Such is just another stupid tax, you are taxed anyway as the more fuel us use the more you pay in tax anyroad.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #34
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Such is just another stupid tax, you are taxed anyway as the more fuel us use the more you pay in tax anyroad.
Hybrids and EV cars are escaping paying as much as the rest of us so the Gov is missing out

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #35
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Then stop centralizing services and employment around Melbourne and then I won't use the road to wear it out more if I don't have to travel there

If you want me to move to Melbourne then index my wages on Melbourne's housing market, should put me at circa $190K PA if you work on house price divided by 5
You live where you choose to live

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #36
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Even our 98 RON is 5 times worse in Sulphur content than other countries.

Yes.

We was set to get rid of 91 in Australia around about 2008 but PM Gillard knocked that on the head.
All Australian cars made from 2008 are all tuned to run on 95 octane.
If you use 91 in a car made from 2008 and on, you are an much worse a environmental scoundrel than the morons who claimed VW was with the new set standards set in Europe.

When one uses 91 in a 2008 and on car the only reason why you can do such a stupid thing is because the computer retards the spark timing by up to 12 deg so as to save the engine from pinging. it is false economy ! one is in fact using much more fuel that you should be using, because your engine is not ruining at max efficiency.
The car manufactures just state that you can run 91 because they would loose sales.

Back in 1997 the new Sequential Holden 5.0L V8 came out with 8.8:1 compression and Holden stated to use 95 but then got a backlash on sales because of the 95 rating, so Holden just went and marketed it as 91 fine. it was ok to do so, but boy you lost a hell of a lot of performance especially on a hot day or if you got up it. it had less power than the V6 in fact, so once the knock sensor kicked in it's then retarding the spark timing back 12 deg.
Old 24-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #37
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Hybrids and EV cars are escaping paying as much as the rest of us so the Gov is missing out
See this is where I have the issue with what VicGov has done. Hybrids are set to pay $0.02(vs $0.025 for EV) per KM travelled in addition to the tax they already pay on the petrol they require. How will they determine what has been EV travelled vs petrol powered? GovCo are double dipping.

Here was an opportunity for VicGov to re assess tax collection for road infrastructure including registration, instead they did the typical Australian way and slap another tax on. Lazy policy but that is the Australian way.
Old 24-03-2021, 02:31 PM   #38
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What's the difference between premium diesel and truck diesel? Aside from the 2 cpl
In Europe the diesel cars use the much more expensive diesel and the newer Trucks use the same, it's only the older Truck engines do not need that type of diesel.
It's just like as we had leaded fuel still in 1986 and to 1992 I think and then we could only get unleaded fuel, same will happen with the old type diesel.

Just like 91 octane petrol should be gone by rights if governments were serious about pollution standards.

In QLD we have a moron Premier, we have Fuel Stations now that do not even state what octane that it is ! so if you use E10 such could be 91 E10 or 94 E10, I asked a woman behind the desk what was the octane of their E10 and she had no idea at all what I was talking about. bloody hell the difference can be the destruction of an engine, so I want to know for a fact what the octane rating is. not to mention that I have a bike that is carby fed and it's ok to run on E10 94 but not E10 91 at all, as such will destroy the engine.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #39
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not sure where you got that info Mick but from what I've read the only difference between ordinary diesel and premium is the premium contains an extra detergent, there is a lot of debate as to whether that makes any difference..

they both have the same cetane rating and diesel doesn't distinguish between older and newer Trucks,
please send a link if you have more info, otherwise take a read of the below.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/896469/...esel-worth-it/
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You live where you choose to live
Why would I live in regional Victoria if I could live in Melbourne? The quality of life in regional VIC is junk - no work, no services, no entertainment and a long commute via car to/from work.

Where I live is what's known as a 'commuter town' - its a regional **** hole with no public transport access where we all work and shop in Melbourne, we sleep here and that's about it

I live where I can afford to live, not where I want to live - you're happy to hike taxes for the residents of a low socioeconomic town where the average wage is $40K-$45K PA because they have to drive further to go to work?

How is that in any way justifiable? I'm doing better than the average but it's still not fair on the working class out regional who are travelling further to get to work.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-03-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 24-03-2021, 06:17 PM   #41
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
The quality of life in regional VIC is junk - no work, no services, no entertainment and a long commute via car to/from work.
Speak for yourself.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Speak for yourself.
I speak for everyone, just ask me
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 08:33 PM   #43
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I speak for everyone, just ask me
I live on the Surf coast, and work from home, enjoy your crappy Melbourne life 👍
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #44
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The issue of quality of fuel is moot point. By 2030 most developed nations will be banning the sale of new Ice cars anyways and straight to EVs.

EVs will be cheaper to purchase and own than ICE by 2030 as all car manufacturers are focused on making EVs and phasing out ICE.

We are in the transition decade period from Nokia's / blackberry to smartphones now.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Talking Re: Environmentally-backwards Australia becoming an “automotive third world," Volkswagen claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I live on the Surf coast, and work from home, enjoy your crappy Melbourne life 👍
What the hell is a surf coast? Never heard of it in my life
Old 25-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23
The issue of quality of fuel is moot point. By 2030 most developed nations will be banning the sale of new Ice cars anyways and straight to EVs.

EVs will be cheaper to purchase and own than ICE by 2030 as all car manufacturers are focused on making EVs and phasing out ICE.

We are in the transition decade period from Nokia's / blackberry to smartphones now.
I highly doubt EV's will ever be cheaper than equivalent ice's. The price of precious metals used in the batteries and motors is already soaring due to demand.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Torquay to Warnambool.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #48
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
not sure where you got that info Mick but from what I've read the only difference between ordinary diesel and premium is the premium contains an extra detergent, there is a lot of debate as to whether that makes any difference..

they both have the same cetane rating and diesel doesn't distinguish between older and newer Trucks,
please send a link if you have more info, otherwise take a read of the below.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/896469/...esel-worth-it/
From what I seen in Europe no one uses the lower diesel in their newer type diesel cars.

A mate had 3 small new tipper trucks and 2 new Holden diesel 4x4 3 excavators 4 bob cats and he only used one brand due to price he could get it for, he did not use the new prem diesel fuel.

Another mate has 20 older type haulage trucks and 3 new Holden 4x4 diesel and etc etc others and only uses the lower type diesel fuel.

Non could tell the difference between when they used the prem on occasion.
But I am sure that the prem is better for the newer type diesels in the long run especially with short runs like the family hack I would use such for sure.

Our Aussie Diesel is not what Europe's diesel is tho.

That said our Aussie crude oil is what is defined as high in Sulphur and a thin oil, but other crude oils such as Arabs have are better quality low in Sulphur and a thicker oil. so we export ours to them and theirs to us for good reasons, that was the deal when we made our fuel and such here. and still is only it goes to Asia and is all refined for us now. so we have reduced our pollution targets and got rid of them jobs all I one.

As to Octane rating in petrol you only need the correct octane for your engine, if you use a higher octane than truly needed, you will not make better power or fuel economy by rights.

A mate SC came out to the race track with the same road car as me and he was poring octane additive in his tank and then put 2 of them in smiling at me, saying that they call him Billy Hunt thinking that he would have it all over me now and I just smiled because I know that it would lower his power if anything and I hosed him off down the straits as well.
Old 25-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #49
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Torquay to Warnambool.
No Lebonator’s allowed 👍
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #50
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I highly doubt EV's will ever be cheaper than equivalent ice's. The price of precious metals used in the batteries and motors is already soaring due to demand.
Of course EVs will be eventually cheaper, we are at infancy of Evs technology development and not at mass production yet.

Tesla is working on a 25k USD car next and than you have the cheaper Chinese car companies.

The experts have predicted around 2025 EVs will be very close to Ice. Definitely by 2030 it would be cheaper as car companies will stop making Ice cars as they be banned.

So there won't be even new Ice cars for sale in 2030.

Used ice cars will deprecate even faster.
Old 25-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #51
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Have you never driven the Great Ocean Road?

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #52
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Speak for yourself.
I love living regional. And by regional I don't mean an hour from the big smoke.
I ride my bike to work, (keeps the kms off my Ute which is also going up in value )
Everything is within 20 mins.
Houses are affordable, I'd love to see someone's mortgage in Melb with a comparable sized house to mine (my house isn't big)
I enjoyed living in Brisbane for 10 years.
So much better, coming back home.

Apologies for off topic.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2021, 08:17 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Have you never driven the Great Ocean Road?
Nope, been to Torquay once 15 years ago though
Old 25-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #54
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Nope, been to Torquay once 15 years ago though
Your mates flood Geelongs Eastern Beach, the Gardens, and Torquay every long weekend.

I’m glad you’re staying away, keep it up 👍
Old 25-03-2021, 09:39 PM   #55
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

John Cadogan nailed it today; VW is in no position to assume to take some sort of moral high ground and lecture Australia or anyone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntUP...ertJohnCadogan
Old 25-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Your mates flood Geelongs Eastern Beach, the Gardens, and Torquay every long weekend.

I’m glad you’re staying away, keep it up 👍
Gee, I've never seen someone so butthurt, maybe less glass BBQ would help.

There's probably a reason why 5 million people out of the 6.6 million Victorians live in Melbourne
Old 26-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Of course EVs will be eventually cheaper, we are at infancy of Evs technology development and not at mass production yet.

Tesla is working on a 25k USD car next and than you have the cheaper Chinese car companies.

The experts have predicted around 2025 EVs will be very close to Ice. Definitely by 2030 it would be cheaper as car companies will stop making Ice cars as they be banned.

So there won't be even new Ice cars for sale in 2030.

Used ice cars will deprecate even faster.
There won't even be ice cars on sale in 2030?
Old 26-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #58
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There won't even be ice cars on sale in 2030?
Yes, many countries are pushing for 2030 for the date to ban the sale of new Ice cars.
Old 26-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #59
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
From what I seen in Europe no one uses the lower diesel in their newer type diesel cars.

A mate had 3 small new tipper trucks and 2 new Holden diesel 4x4 3 excavators 4 bob cats and he only used one brand due to price he could get it for, he did not use the new prem diesel fuel.

Another mate has 20 older type haulage trucks and 3 new Holden 4x4 diesel and etc etc others and only uses the lower type diesel fuel.

Non could tell the difference between when they used the prem on occasion.
But I am sure that the prem is better for the newer type diesels in the long run especially with short runs like the family hack I would use such for sure.

Our Aussie Diesel is not what Europe's diesel is tho.

That said our Aussie crude oil is what is defined as high in Sulphur and a thin oil, but other crude oils such as Arabs have are better quality low in Sulphur and a thicker oil. so we export ours to them and theirs to us for good reasons, that was the deal when we made our fuel and such here. and still is only it goes to Asia and is all refined for us now. so we have reduced our pollution targets and got rid of them jobs all I one.

As to Octane rating in petrol you only need the correct octane for your engine, if you use a higher octane than truly needed, you will not make better power or fuel economy by rights.

A mate SC came out to the race track with the same road car as me and he was poring octane additive in his tank and then put 2 of them in smiling at me, saying that they call him Billy Hunt thinking that he would have it all over me now and I just smiled because I know that it would lower his power if anything and I hosed him off down the straits as well.
????
I’ll have one of whateva your drinking (or smokin)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #60
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Yes, many countries are pushing for 2030 for the date to ban the sale of new Ice cars.
Some are. To suggest manufacturers still won't be manufacturing ice cars in 2030 is idiotic.

Especially here in australia, where ev's still probably won't be 50% of the market.