Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #31
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
carrying on a business without money hey? some business that'd be!
let me know how that works out for you!
and stop whinging about young blokes would you? member of a neighbourhood? a neighbourhood is made up of people who should be able to do damn well what they want to provided it doesn't affect the others detrimentally. I don't think your jealousy counts as a detrimental effect! :
Since when was Australia all about rules and not about people?!
Unde 25 too, are we?

Most mature, decent people have regard to others.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 19-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank god i live in civilization.... this "neighborhood" sounds like a nightmare.

Old 19-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #33
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Thank god i live in civilization.... this "neighborhood" sounds like a nightmare.
Doesn't sound like a place i'd like to live either. Hell I even take outboard flushing gear to the boat ramp so I am not running the outboards at home because I take the boats out often.

A home is where people relax and spend time with their family, they don't need me or anyone else ruining it for them. Within reasonable bounds, I expect the same.

Sure I have worked on the occassional car in my garage. I used power tools between 10 am and 4 pm, but this is only every now and again. When I renovated my place (largely by myself) I took a week or two off work so I could get most of the noisy stuff out of the way while my neighbours were at work, and then gave them a week notice when tradies had to come in at times they were home - coupled with a few lottery tickets for 'goodwill'.

While I do live in a villa, I would act the same in any close quarters environment. If your neighbours can hear you, you have to have consideration.

I did have a rural property for a few years though, 10 car shed, massive stereo - no neighbours. That was great. If you want to 'do what you want' I highly suggest going down this route. Get an old Falcon on gas to deal with the 150km one way commute and go for your life. Anything else is all about compromise.

Serious hobbies require serious resources. If you are really into working on cars, a cheap shed in an industrial area is the only way to go.
Old 19-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Doesn't sound like a place i'd like to live either. Hell I even take outboard flushing gear to the boat ramp so I am not running the outboards at home because I take the boats out often.

A home is where people relax and spend time with their family, they don't need me or anyone else ruining it for them. Within reasonable bounds, I expect the same.

Sure I have worked on the occassional car in my garage. I used power tools between 10 am and 4 pm, but this is only every now and again. When I renovated my place (largely by myself) I took a week or two off work so I could get most of the noisy stuff out of the way while my neighbours were at work, and then gave them a week notice when tradies had to come in at times they were home - coupled with a few lottery tickets for 'goodwill'.

While I do live in a villa, I would act the same in any close quarters environment. If your neighbours can hear you, you have to have consideration.

I did have a rural property for a few years though, 10 car shed, massive stereo - no neighbours. That was great. If you want to 'do what you want' I highly suggest going down this route. Get an old Falcon on gas to deal with the 150km one way commute and go for your life. Anything else is all about compromise.

Serious hobbies require serious resources. If you are really into working on cars, a cheap shed in an industrial area is the only way to go.
I can understand and tolerate occasional noise till 10pm, or random stuff which is normal, even extended noise on weekends during the day is pretty much acceptable, but a mob of 10 - 20 blokes congregating every night working on cars till late is inconsiderate and plain ridiculous. Wait till some of you have young kids, mild unusual noise past 8pm WILL wake them and cause problems. I'd be p'd off too.

Old 19-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #35
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take out the up to 20 cars comming and going and you may not make all that much noise but for every car comming there is a car going thats 40 vehicle movements. : I guess most of these cars have a louder than usual exhaust. : 40 movements over a 3 hour period at night is 1 per 4 minutes on average, get the drift? Every time they come and go thats at least 2 or more door opens/closes/slams. : Maybe a bit of chatter in the street between mates the odd toot of a horn and a bit of laughter, getting more drift? And where do all these cars park? 20 cars all lined up the street all in a neat row? Sorry but I doubt it. They can't possibly all park outside your place.
So now Mr PLod has come along and asked you to tone it down. You are miffed at the reason why and don't obey. :Up_to_som Mr Plod comes again and is a bit more forceful. You agree and for a week or two its a bit quieter. Then it all starts again. This time Mr Plod turns up and while all your 20 mates are in the shed Mr Plod walks along and defecet EVERY CAR that looks like your mates. : He takes down their regos and pulls them up EVERY TIME he sees one down the street, another defect another fine another search of a car drugs or not. : I think we are all finished here. I hope you are drifted enough to see some common sense and decency to your neighbours. :
Old 19-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #36
BrisVegas
Noobie

Have some respect for your neighbours and keep the noise and crowds down. The reason noise abatement regs say 7am-7pm is that families with kids put them to bed early and they need sleep. My 2yo & 4yo are both in bed by 7pm and rowdy neighbours most certainly wake them up.

As plenty have suggested, get your group to chip in and rent a cheap industrial shed in a non-residential area.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
Old 19-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #37
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where I agree that it would be annoying to have racket till all hours etc... The police have no right to be banning you from having people at your house (thats of course if you stop the racket). The OP said they tried to be polite and say we will keep it down but Mr Plod still said everyone out. Seriously what a load of garbage!!!

Also to the people who say oh you under 25s have no respect, oh please!!!!! I have to tell my Dad who is in his 50s to turn down the stereo when hes gardening because the neighbors would probably be getting a bit peeved. Oh but im 27 now so im not in that category
Old 19-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #38
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Sounds like fun , No wonder they have banned it .
sOUNDED FUNNY AT FIRST THEN i THOUGHT

"IMAGINE IF THIS WAS NEXT TO ME?"

kINDA COOL UNTIL THE NOISE AT NIGHT STOPPED BABIES SLEEPING, UPSET DOGS ETC.

tHEN (SORRY FOR CAPS LOCK) it would drive me mad.

Don't know about police powers but common sense would tell me shut the noise off early.

Maybe apologise to neighbours and tell them what's actually happening. Do it nicely. They have a right to a quiet environment in a residential area.

It is not the responsibility of neighbours to approach us before they dob us in for working on our cars, its our responsibilty to conduct our affairs in such a way as the neighbours don't get ****ed off.
Old 19-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #39
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My guess is the Landlords and agents will have been notified by the police of this issue too.... The tenants may face the threat of eviction as a result, or at the very least non renewal of their lease..

Old 19-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #40
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Years ago whilst working in suburban Coburg, building what was to become the origanal "Jungle Jim" drag FJ sedan, we raised the ire of neighbours at about 10.30pm and received a friendly dose of #10 Winchester into the tin garage wall. Tools promptly dropped, lights out, no more work that night.
Old 19-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #41
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
received a friendly dose of #10 Winchester into the tin garage wall. Tools promptly dropped, lights out, no more work that night.

..... That will do it!
Old 19-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #42
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
......This time Mr Plod turns up and while all your 20 mates are in the shed Mr Plod walks along and defects EVERY CAR that looks like your mates. : He takes down their regos and pulls them up EVERY TIME he sees one down the street, another defect another fine another search of a car drugs or not. : I hope you are drifted enough to see some common sense and decency to your neighbours. :
The obvious solution/next step by the Police but just sit back and watch GenY complain here when it happens.

My wife is a high school teacher.

The next gen is even more moronic from what she tells me.
Old 19-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #43
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if they lived next door to me i'd probably go over for a chat, then join in on the fun! lol

power tools after 8:30 on weekdays would start giving me the sh'ts though..
Old 19-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #44
escapin

mate either u are making way to much noise when ur mates are coming leaving or u are just a night mare to live next to when ur working on ur cars. we have been building and reco ing boats in a mates garage for years and work till the AM of some mornings with all sorts of tools and never had one compliant.
more often we have the nrighbours come in to help and see how they are going
Old 19-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #45
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Geez, I guess I should call the police on all the church goes that use my street as a carpark every Saturday and Sunday. All those doors opening and closing, my budgies can't get to sleep!

I hate the way people think the only solution is to "call the Police". Whatever happened to talking with people face to face? Sorting out problems without dobbing on each other?

Oo\===/oO
Old 19-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #46
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

I know I wouldnt want neighbours like that.
That many people, that many cars.....everynight. No way.

Right or wrong thats the way most neighbours would feel. Even more so given they wouldnt be car people on average.

Now Quattro RS3 powered
Old 19-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #47
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty

I hate the way people think the only solution is to "call the Police". Whatever happened to talking with people face to face? Sorting out problems without dobbing on each other?
because you and your budgie alone are going to front up to 20 young lads and not feel intimidated?

Old 19-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #48
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
laws on this 7 till seven in queensland i believe ,was a chippy in past life and had to tip toe around if we started early ,but in between nothing they can do grind away .
Here in Bathurst, we have 6.30am to 6.30pm in a Commerical zoned area... not fun!... but its only due to the residential houses across the road... :
Old 19-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #49
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could go on and on and on about the behavior of the next generation (punching a security guard in the back of the head - wtf?) But the point is that people don't like people coming and going late at night and to be honest I don't either. The younger generation as much as I hate to say it seem to have no concept of cause and effect. If you want to do what you do where you are doing it tone it down soundproof the shed and make no noise outside it. Simple really...

These "nights" turn into parties/****ups every fri/sat night? I think the safe money is a YES. There is 20 of you do some maths and spend one night at each house and start again - Spread the "noise" out across every bodies' homes this will mean each house will have maybe two nights a month at most with a gathering.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 19-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #50
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
because you and your budgie alone are going to front up to 20 young lads and not feel intimidated?
You leave my budgie out of this....

Why can't the person in question front up to the owner of the house and talk during the day. Or if that's not possible, a quiet time? Surely they aren't there ALL the time?

Oo\===/oO
Old 19-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #51
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I could go on and on and on about the behavior of the next generation (punching a security guard in the back of the head - wtf?) But the point is that people don't like people coming and going late at night and to be honest I don't either. The younger generation as much as I hate to say it seem to have no concept of cause and effect.
Generalise much?
Old 19-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #52
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Why can't the person in question front up to the owner of the house and talk during the day. Or if that's not possible, a quiet time? Surely they aren't there ALL the time?
Maybe the neighbors are quiet, civilized non confrontational types that are frightened or concerned about the repercussions of a "confrontation"....
They're well within their rights to make a passive complaint to the agent or police.

Old 19-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #53
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
There is 20 of you do some maths and spend one night at each house and start again - Spread the "noise" out across every bodies' homes
They probably can't congregate on rotation at some of their other mates homes because some of their parents would not tolerate their comings and goings in their own house never alone their own neighbourhood either!
Old 19-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #54
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

4Vman just because you are a "non confrontational type" does not mean that you have to be afraid of going to have a chat to the person that lives next door, people can be assertive and civilised. I know this, I am. I would have no hesitation in walking over there and having a quick chat asking them to tone it down.

Then after that if nothing changed it is time to call the Police. Really why waste Police time and resources on an issue that could be quite easily handled between neighbours?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 19-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #55
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Maybe the neighbors are quiet, civilized non confrontational types that are frightened or concerned about the repercussions of a "confrontation"....
They're well within their rights to make a passive complaint to the agent or police.
Of course they are within their rights. But I'm not just talking about people like this in this instance, I am referring to people who can't front up to someone/something they have a problem with. Hiding behind emails and phonecalls is not the way to solve a problem.

If they want to call the cops, then fine, that's up to them. I just think there are more effective ways to deal with problems than involving a third party.

Oo\===/oO
Old 19-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #56
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
4Vman just because you are a "non confrontational type" does not mean that you have to be afraid of going to have a chat to the person that lives next door, people can be assertive and civilised. I know this, I am. I would have no hesitation in walking over there and having a quick chat asking them to tone it down.

Then after that if nothing changed it is time to call the Police. Really why waste Police time and resources on an issue that could be quite easily handled between neighbours?
Hey i agree, and i would do the same, but not everyone's that confident...

Old 19-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #57
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Hey i agree, and i would do the same, but not everyone's that confident...
And there lies the problems in society. People are just too "scared" to actually speak to anyone because they are told constantly that if they do the boogeyman will get them, but don't worry Mr Bracks/Rudd/Horseman (Brumby) will save you by putting this and that law in place so you never have to deal with anything in your life.

Anyone who has seen the movie Demolition Man will understand the kind of society I am talking about.

People need to harden up and actually air their grievances with those concerned as opposed to the current trend of calling the Police/writing into Mx/ having a cry on internet forums.

HTFU Australia.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 19-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #58
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

"Dear Mr Editor

I am sick of people not giving me their seat on the bus. Where's the respect?

M.F. of Carindale"

Yeah, cos writing a letter is going to fix it.

Oo\===/oO
Old 19-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #59
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
And there lies the problems in society. People are just too "scared" to actually speak to anyone because they are told constantly that if they do the boogeyman will get them, but don't worry Mr Bracks/Rudd/Horseman (Brumby) will save you by putting this and that law in place so you never have to deal with anything in your life.

Anyone who has seen the movie Demolition Man will understand the kind of society I am talking about.

People need to harden up and actually air their grievances with those concerned as opposed to the current trend of calling the Police/writing into Mx/ having a cry on internet forums.

HTFU Australia.
I think the ever increasing amount of people who get stabbed, shot and bashed to death over trivial issues might put an element of apprehension in peoples minds too.....

I think too many people have taken the approach that "the sword is mightier than the word"....

Old 19-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #60
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Generation Y? HaHa. I always laugh when statements like that come out.

Apparently we have an ever growing problem of pedophiles, bikie gang wars and drug trafficing and i'd be willing to lay a bet on it that most of these people aren't a tad under 30!

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Closed Thread