Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #31
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Casio G Shock Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I think you missed his point completely, straight over your head.
I must have missed the point to. Pedro seems to imply that Tag are a rip off because of Asian parts not 100% Swiss. Out of the 20 or so companies that supply Tag only one is not Swiss, Seiko and these parts have been re designed and improved before fitting. It would be same as saying BMW, Mercedes etc aren't decent German cars because some components are made in different countries, including Chinese bearings in the BMW's.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #32
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
I must have missed the point to. Pedro seems to imply that Tag are a rip off because of Asian parts not 100% Swiss. Out of the 20 or so companies that supply Tag only one is not Swiss, Seiko and these parts have been re designed and improved before fitting. It would be same as saying BMW, Mercedes etc aren't decent German cars because some components are made in different countries, including Chinese bearings in the BMW's.
The point I think he was making is that these watches are well overpriced and we are getting raped as the parts are made cheaply for only a few $$$ and then sold at massive mark ups. I am guessing after being in the industry for 20 years he would have some idea.

So according to what he is saying a TAG watch would be made for around $50-100 and sold at ridiculous mark up to the suckers (consumers).

Happy to be corrected if I missed the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I was in the watch industry for over 20 years and I can tell you most of the retail prices are just plain daylight robbery. The most expensive part of a quartz watch is the case and 90% of cases are made in China these days. The modules inside cost around USD$5 and are mostly made by the Japanese Citizen or Seiko companies or Swiss ETA in their Chinese factories.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 06-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #33
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I think with any brand name product you are getting hammered on their mark ups, especially if it's fashionable, some are just better quality than others. For the price Tag are a great watch, Patek Philippe is a whole category by itself and the comparison is a bit lopsided.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ52jEMv9qw
After 20 years experience I wouldn't doubt his knowledge on a product but they are 3 different levels. Like comparing a Great Wall, Ford and Rolls Royce. They will all get you from A to B but the quality of components, refinement etc is different on all scales.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #34
adrianb

I've got 2 G-Shock watches (one white and one black) and use them for casual/weekend stuff. Also got a TW Steel for more casual scenarios. For work with a suit I wear a 10yr old Tag Heuer Aquaracer as well as a Hugo Boss I got off Catch of the Day.

I want a Panerai for my next watch. Will probably get a 2nd hand one in the next year or so.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #35
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had one bought for me, I use it as daily or if I'm likely to smash it about. But I prefer my Tag Calibre S SLR, or my Longines.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 07-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #36
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Not a fan of G shock my daughters have one each and love them. Kate has to wear a watch as where she works you can't have a mobile phone for security reasons. I prefer my Tag Aquaracer and for special occasions my Submariner but everyone knows if you want the time you look at your phone so the watch is just a fashion accessory or statement of sorts in most cases.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #37
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like TAGs are a popular choice......they are pretty dam tough and reliable, not too flashy but look nice on most occasions. My Link looks pretty dated now but being 15 years old and worn endlessly without many f...ks given it has not let me down and the face is as perfect as the day I got it.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #38
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Judging from the posts here, seems I know what I'll be getting the missus this Christmas! Speaking of other watches, what do you guys think of the Orient watches?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #39
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't mind a Tudor Black Shield!
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 09-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #40
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After considering my need for a daily watch that can be easily read in any situation especially at night, and the need for said watch to be somewhat durable in a somewhat hostile environment I have yesterday ordered myself a Casio G-Shock watch as a Christmas present to myself and as a replacement to me currently not working Seiko Watch which was my every day watch for the last seven years.

This is what I ended up with, just waiting for the Postie to do his job, got it at a nice price as well:

At the same time I have bought myself a matching Otterbox Defender Case for my now retro iPhone 4s, as the same hostile work environment has me on my third iPhone screen and second backing plate, and the local Apple phone repair shop knows me on first name basis

Hopefully this will put a stop to the destruction and in a pinch I should be able to use the phone as a weapon now

So once this stuff arrives I should be able to hang with the cool kids, I know it's not a 'TAG' or new 'Samsung S whatever' or similar, but then again I do stand up to pee rather than sit, so this is probably more suitable for me

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 10-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #41
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

I used to buy citizen eco drives as the were solar and came with a 5 yr warranty, 1st watch lasted 10yrs and only stopped wearing it as it needed a new band and was going to cost $300 for a new one, so I brought a new eco drive and 2 yrs down the track it had a problem ..no problem 5 yr warranty and took it back and they sent off, comes back a few weeks later nah not covered under warranty.. WTF so I have never brought one of them again
so I made the switch to the G shock and love it .. half the price of the eco drives (I shop around and online for mine) and lasts just as long
brought the pro trek one a few years ago and love it

and my other g shock
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #42
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
but then again I do stand up to pee rather than sit, so this is probably more suitable for me
That would be funny if you didn't admit to buying a watch and a matching case for your phone.

Does your purse match you panties too???
Old 11-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #43
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
After considering my need for a daily watch that can be easily read in any situation especially at night, and the need for said watch to be somewhat durable in a somewhat hostile environment I have yesterday ordered myself a Casio G-Shock watch as a Christmas present to myself and as a replacement to me currently not working Seiko Watch which was my every day watch for the last seven years.

This is what I ended up with, just waiting for the Postie to do his job, got it at a nice price as well:

At the same time I have bought myself a matching Otterbox Defender Case for my now retro iPhone 4s, as the same hostile work environment has me on my third iPhone screen and second backing plate, and the local Apple phone repair shop knows me on first name basis

Hopefully this will put a stop to the destruction and in a pinch I should be able to use the phone as a weapon now

So once this stuff arrives I should be able to hang with the cool kids, I know it's not a 'TAG' or new 'Samsung S whatever' or similar, but then again I do stand up to pee rather than sit, so this is probably more suitable for me

Not a real fan of the negative display. Can be very difficult to see in some conditions at a glance, really need to look hard to make it out. You will also find the single led illumination on the GA series (and some others ) is dreadful. Its my biggest complaint on my GA100.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 15-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #44
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch arrived yesterday, set it all up this morning.

First Impressions
- I like the general look of it
- it fits well
- I still think it has a 'cheap' feel to it, and should probably cost no more that about $20-30, I think 29.95 would be reasonable.

But only time will tell on how it holds up.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 15-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #45
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Not a real fan of the negative display. Can be very difficult to see in some conditions at a glance, really need to look hard to make it out. You will also find the single led illumination on the GA series (and some others ) is dreadful. Its my biggest complaint on my GA100.
Tested the light last night and it seems to be OK, not great, but definitely easier to read than my old Seiko at night.

I can see how the negative LED display could be hard to read under certain conditions, but I really liked to look of it over the standard display and the coloured watches.

Not a fan of flash colours, plain black never goes out of fashion and never really looks out of place.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 15-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #46
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a DW-6900 that I purchased in 1988, I just can't kill it and it's only on it's 3rd battery.
Old 15-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #47
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Casio G Shock Watches

How amazing i should find this thread. I currently looking at purchhasing a G Shock watch for my sons xmas present and to say i am absolutely confused by the vast range would be a understatement. I am leaning towards the GWG-100 Mudmaster or the Camo GA -100 -5A .
Any advise or help would be appreciated
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #48
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Watch arrived yesterday, set it all up this morning.

First Impressions
- I like the general look of it
- it fits well
- I still think it has a 'cheap' feel to it, and should probably cost no more that about $20-30, I think 29.95 would be reasonable.

But only time will tell on how it holds up.

I've had my GA 100 for 3 years now and its been a beast. Been everywhere with me from the beach to mountain bike riding and everywhere in between. Hasn't missed a beat. I still hate the single led illumination , small gripe but nonetheless they should have bench tested and thought more about it. There is no way a 29.95 Kmart watch would last this long and be that accurate and tough.....No way. It may feel cheap because its lightweight, but the plastics are not hard brittle rubbish, they have a slight soft touch to them. Its a great watch and one of my favorites. Pic of mine above in earlier post. I picked the positive display red accents version. Luv it.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #49
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

my mrs G shock now needs a new battery and she took it to a place to get it replaced and she was told that to get a battery replaced for a casio it now needs to be sent back to casio to get battery replaced and pressure tested again as they are not allowed to do it anymore ..is this true as it was going to cost nearly $60 to this .. I can buy another watch for near this price
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
Old 18-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #50
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
my mrs G shock now needs a new battery and she took it to a place to get it replaced and she was told that to get a battery replaced for a casio it now needs to be sent back to casio to get battery replaced and pressure tested again as they are not allowed to do it anymore ..is this true as it was going to cost nearly $60 to this .. I can buy another watch for near this price
Seems like BS to me, pretty sure Casio can't tell you who changes the battery in your watch after you have bought it. I am guessing go to another place to get battery changed as where ever you went is either trying to rape you, or has no idea what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT
I've had my GA 100 for 3 years now and its been a beast. Been everywhere with me from the beach to mountain bike riding and everywhere in between. Hasn't missed a beat. I still hate the single led illumination , small gripe but nonetheless they should have bench tested and thought more about it. There is no way a 29.95 Kmart watch would last this long and be that accurate and tough.....No way. It may feel cheap because its lightweight, but the plastics are not hard brittle rubbish, they have a slight soft touch to them. Its a great watch and one of my favorites. Pic of mine above in earlier post. I picked the positive display red accents version. Luv it.
Been wearing mine since I got it, quite like it and it seems to grow on me day by day, My old Seiko that it replaces lasted 7 years and it only just ran out of battery, so I put it back in it's box, I wore it for 7 years every day, so the new Casio has a lot to live up to.

I am now thinking of getting my daughter a Baby G as she loves my watch, she is staring high school next year, so might make a good birthday present for her.

I still think they are somewhat overpriced, but then again so are XB's and I have a shed full of them.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #51
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
How amazing i should find this thread. I currently looking at purchhasing a G Shock watch for my sons xmas present and to say i am absolutely confused by the vast range would be a understatement. I am leaning towards the GWG-100 Mudmaster or the Camo GA -100 -5A .
Any advise or help would be appreciated
I bought this, and my thoughts are posted here, overall I am happy with my purchase and considering further purchases as mentioned above:

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 18-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #52
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

60 is not a bad price. I pay 80 but I always take it to a watch maker not a shopping centre man
Old 18-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Seems like BS to me, pretty sure Casio can't tell you who changes the battery in your watch after you have bought it. I am guessing go to another place to get battery changed as where ever you went is either trying to rape you, or has no idea what they are doing.
Of course they can't tell you who changes the battery... however if it water or dust leaks inside after your local bloke has changed it don't complain to Casio.
Old 21-12-2015, 01:45 AM   #54
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The above bolded part suggests differently that's why I called it BS.

Of course if the battery is not replaced correctly Casio will not wear any damage caused, just like Ford will not cover damage caused by 'Joe the bush mechanic'.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 21-12-2015, 01:47 AM   #55
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I quite like the look of this one for a women's/girl's watch:

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 21-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #56
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Umm how is it BS, if the boss/owner/manager of the shop says to his staff don't change batteries on Casio watches make sure you send them to Casio?

Maybe they have had recurring issues of muppets returning Casio watches as they are no longer waterproof blaming the shop and wanting a new watch.
Old 21-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #57
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I'm in the market for a new watch and had a look at the G Shock range at a local jeweler, and I must say that I like the idea of the tough case and recessed glass I just found most of them too busy to look at and hard to read at a glance. I looked through the catalog to try and find one I liked but couldn't find one that suited. The clincher for me was the fact that you can't fit an elasticated band to any of them. I prefer an elasticated bend for a number of reasons not least of which is the ability to slip my watch on and off quickly.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 21-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #58
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ I was thinking the same when I saw the black / gold baby G above, you can hardly see the hands on it, the hour hand is completely obscured where it is.
Old 21-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #59
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I quite like the look of this one for a women's/girl's watch:

I'd imagine that this watch would be worn by people who wear a watch for pose value but not for telling the time.
Similar to those people who also drive with their Cornering/fog lights on 24/7 and wear white framed sunglasses, as it just screams 'Look at Moi'
Old 21-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #60
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Love my G-Shock; it's a Mudman with compass and thermometer.
Do all kinds of things with it, doesn't even look barely worn.
Also have a Panerai and Omega Speedmaster. I find you can wear the G-shock to most occasions without it looking odd. They've got a bit of a cult following now, especially in Asia.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread