Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #31
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d
they do have production car racing for factory cars it just doesn't get as much of a following as the v8's maybe the next generation will be into hybrid racing or belt sander racing the latter uses electricity check it on u tube.
Perhaps the production car racing doesn't get the following of the public because it hasn't got the full support of the manufacturers.

The two critical links for the public are improving a new and useful technology and getting the support of the manufacturers.

The point of the thread is "the first over the line using 100lt of fuel" for example with an allowance for the car size. There would be no stipulation on propulsion - hybrid, solar assist, turbo diesel, what ever you want with 100lt of fuel.
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #32
manxman
Old Granny Driver

100L Make mine an R100RS or similar - it will do 1000km on a lot less than that. See Castrol 6 hr.........
manxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 02:58 AM   #33
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

well what about dodgem style setups with the electrical overhead wires... that way manufacturers would really have to concentrate on the most efficient, light (but of course safe) and quickest cars they can make... And seeing how it's a new venture, toyota would be right in the mix... 3 manufacturer series gotta be better than two!?

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley
My point is, apart from enthusiasts, the general motoring has lost interest in Bathurst and is losing interest in Australian cars. Even on this forum, some members question the competitiveness of the race when in reality, it is the interpretation of the rules that has a far greater influence on the result than the R & D of the main manufacturers. Sure, go on with V8 super cars but the target market is very small (albeit loyal) and ask yourself, how much from the race feeds back into useful R & D for the manufacturers for our cars. Or, what did Ford learn from Bathurst 2006 that ended up in the new falcons - they don't race 5.4lt V8's or turbo 6's for example.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought viewer and crowd numbers were at record levels. Blows away your theory of people losing interest.

And anyway, why would racing Hybrids add to the interest. If anything it would make it one hundred times more boring.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #35
ZC001
Cruisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought viewer and crowd numbers were at record levels. Blows away your theory of people losing interest.
: Are they still racing at bathurst every year ? :
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #36
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

And anyway, why would racing Hybrids add to the interest. If anything it would make it one hundred times more boring.
Next time you are at Bathurst, standing by the fence watching the race, look over your left shoulder and count how many people are facing away from the track engaged in other activities. Its not a race anymore, its a Royal Show that has Racing going on at the same time.........

I still watch it every year for the race, a lot go for the carnival atmosphere and thats all.........
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #37
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
well what about dodgem style setups with the electrical overhead wires...
Lets just have Tram races?

or line up 2 Trains and drag em?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #38
Mutley

Quote:

The interest I was talking about was the general public and the link between the race and how that translates into R & D for the improvement of products by our local manufacturers. If the general public were more interested in the outcome of the race you would have a stronger link between what won on Sunday, and sold on Monday.

I'm not only suggesting interest levels, but value to the general motoring public as well - the original reason for Bathurst.

The problems then were performance, reliability and chassis strength. It would be fair to say that the competitive environment generated at Bathurst to solve these issues was successful in the 60's.
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley
I'm not only suggesting interest levels, but value to the general motoring public as well - the original reason for Bathurst.

The problems then were performance, reliability and chassis strength. It would be fair to say that the competitive environment generated at Bathurst to solve these issues was successful in the 60's.
Introduce new rules that chassis rails must be bashed away to almost nothing with a sledgehammer. Should add some excitement and unpredictability.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #40
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the driver could have bike peddles connected to a generator to recharge the batteries

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post