Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #31
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Its not working for Ford atm... People wont wait 8 weeks for an XR8 ute when they can go buy an SS and pick it up tomorrow...
I don't have numbers (obviously) but I'd argue that it's doing better for Ford than throwing $27,000,000+ per month down the drain is for Holden...

And WTF is this doing for dunnydore resales?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't see why an 8 week wait be an issue?? MTO has never been much better than that anyway, unless its an impulse purchase and you're not fussed about brand or model.
Buy euro and its closer to 6 months MTO...
If discounting below cost is selling cars for Holden then that puts them in a worse position than selling none.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #33
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Did you see the deals they were doing in DEC $29,990 with alot of extras. Would be interesting in the profit that they made from it.

Thats what I paid for my 5 speed EF GLI back in August 1994.

Who said there's been any inflation in Australia.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its not working for Ford atm... People wont wait 8 weeks for an XR8 ute when they can go buy an SS and pick it up tomorrow...
I wonder if this is all part of the "I WANT IN NOW NOW NOW" culture that is rife among the younger buyers.

I waited about 8 weeks for my 350Z and several months for my GT-P.

If you really want an XR8 and you cannot wait 8 weeks then you don't really want it do you.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Simple fact of the matter is people arent going to pay 38 kay for an XR8 ute and wait 8 weeks when they can buy a 6 litre SS for 33 and drive it home tomorrow..

Ford has stuff all ute stock... theres very few around which is why there is an 8 week wait, and ofcourse since its 2009 stock order theres no bonus / discount...

Ford are well understocked at the end of 2008 which is probably good from an accounting point of view, but harder when dealers are competiting with Holden dealers selling 2008 plate vehicles at rediculous prices, how can you compete??
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I can't see why an 8 week wait be an issue?? MTO has never been much better than that anyway, unless its an impulse purchase and you're not fussed about brand or model.
Buy euro and its closer to 6 months MTO...
If discounting below cost is selling cars for Holden then that puts them in a worse position than selling none.

They are still covering cost.. They arent that stupid!

January / February are traditionally good months with customers coming in to buy last years stock.. This has worked to both Ford and Holdens advantage in the past (especially dealers as manufacturers give bonus money, making cars easier to move and allowing them to get numbers up), the sad part for Ford this year is they have stuff all stock! My local suppliers holding yard is empty, when it can handle up to 200 new vehicles... Now he cant supply what anyone wants which has left him in a pickle!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #37
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
What they wont take one sitting in the yard??
There are none sitting in the yard, thats the drama. Ford built no cars in Nov / Dec for stock really, most were all customer order. :
Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #38
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Simple fact of the matter is people arent going to pay 38 kay for an XR8 ute and wait 8 weeks when they can buy a 6 litre SS for 33 and drive it home tomorrow..
Agreed, this may be something to tip people over the line that have no brand loyalty (most buyers). Even if the pricing was closer matched than that or identical.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #39
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 GT
Agreed, this may be something to tip people over the line that have no brand loyalty (most buyers). Even if the pricing was closer matched than that or identical.
Hmm well it depends on the person I guess.

I was after some furniture a while back, went to a shop, picked what I want, said that will be 8 weeks wait. So yeah I said no and brought else where.

A car is different though, especially a XR8, if we were talking base model then typically there is less emotion behind the decision.

Id rather Ford sell less cars and keep a margin, this has actually been a strategy of sorts for them anyway.

Of course they would love to have volume, but not at the expense of profit.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #40
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Ford have waiting lists for all their cars, does that not mean they can afford to sell them at list price, making more money for Ford per car. Mulally has said all along he's not interested in volume for volume's sake, he want's Ford to be profitable.

Surely having no cars in holding yards means Ford doesn't have to discount last years stocks at this years sales like Holden has to, which has to be a good thing, not a bad one... IMO Ford are starting to do a pretty good job with the vehicles they have. The new Fiesta SHOULD give them a massive boost of younger clientele and that is where brand loyalty starts. It takes years, but Ford have to start somewhere...

It's possibly just me, but I think Ford's image is moving slightly more upmarket than Holden's. Euro Fiesta, Euro Focus, Euro Mondeo, focus on G6 (Euro-like) Falcons vs Korean Barina, Euro Astra, Korean Whatever their medium sizer is, focus on sell as many as we can at whatever price commodore...
Old 07-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #41
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Ford have waiting lists for all their cars, does that not mean they can afford to sell them at list price, making more money for Ford per car. Mulally has said all along he's not interested in volume for volume's sake, he want's Ford to be profitable.

Surely having no cars in holding yards means Ford doesn't have to discount last years stocks at this years sales like Holden has to, which has to be a good thing, not a bad one... IMO Ford are starting to do a pretty good job with the vehicles they have. The new Fiesta SHOULD give them a massive boost of younger clientele and that is where brand loyalty starts. It takes years, but Ford have to start somewhere...

It's possibly just me, but I think Ford's image is moving slightly more upmarket than Holden's. Euro Fiesta, Euro Focus, Euro Mondeo, focus on G6 (Euro-like) Falcons vs Korean Barina, Euro Astra, Korean Whatever their medium sizer is, focus on sell as many as we can at whatever price commodore...
This may work for manufacturers, but what about the retailers?? If they have no cars to sell what to do they do? Sit there?? Its all about volume for dealers, they may lose on some cars but what they lose on some the double on others, plus they have other divisions that also need to be fed, like finance, aftermarket accessories etc etc.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
There are none sitting in the yard, thats the drama. Ford built no cars in Nov / Dec for stock really, most were all customer order. :

Ahh ok, I think i read that the plant is shut down in december for tooling, so hopefully less downdays next year. Mind you the way this F.C is going its gonna be interesting.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #43
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a production worker, I can assure you it is definitely a strategy of Ford's to produce only what the market demands we make.

Quote:
This may work for manufacturers, but what about the retailers?? If they have no cars to sell what to do they do? Sit there?? Its all about volume for dealers, they may lose on some cars but what they lose on some the double on others, plus they have other divisions that also need to be fed, like finance, aftermarket accessories etc etc.
Maybe more personalized service, instead of feeling like cattle every time you buy a Ford, maybe it could be like buying a Lexus or Volvo, Jag etc. It should feel special and as if you are buying a great ownership experience, not just a car. When you have the same volume as Toyota, it's impossible to treat everyone specially.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #44
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli

Agree with everything you've written here.

I also feel that Ford's will gradually enjoy a higher resale figure than their equivolent Holden counter parts due to the quality of the product as well as the lack of massive discounting.

If I'm right, this may bring some fleet customers back to Ford...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #45
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
As a production worker, I can assure you it is definitely a strategy of Ford's to produce only what the market demands we make.

Maybe more personalized service, instead of feeling like cattle every time you buy a Ford, maybe it could be like buying a Lexus or Volvo, Jag etc. It should feel special and as if you are buying a great ownership experience, not just a car. When you have the same volume as Toyota, it's impossible to treat everyone specially.

Wrong...

Fords not a luxury brand, therefore dealers don't have the same profit margins that luxury brands do... Fords and Holdens are all numbers, dont get the numbers and its bye bye...

Ford could have marketed the cars somewhat in the last month of December, especially the 5 star safety rating... There stupid cricket adds are a waste of time and money... Not every australian cares about Cricket...
Old 07-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #46
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed.

We all know that there are probably a lot of dealers around now that won't be in 12 months or 2 years though. Sad but true. That's where Ford, GM and Chrysler are all at. The fact that Ford dealers have little or no volume sitting around to clear now simply means Ford is a step ahead of Holden in refining their production model to be where the market is at.

Holden are trying to get to exactly the same position by clearing as many commodores as they can for whatever they can, shutting down production for a month etc...

IMO having a waitlist for a vehicle gives it a certain cache.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #47
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They are still covering cost.. They arent that stupid!
How does that work? Holden were making a big loss before they went on a discounting spree, surely they must be loosing more now if they discount further even if its only to move dead stock?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 GT
Price would be the deal maker, not the delay...

Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #49
ckugler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32

Thats a joke isnt it? The last 4 Fords I have bought, I go home and check the car to make sure no bits are missing, that everthing works, that there are no marks or scratches etc, etc, and in every case there has been an issue. Then you get the battle of resolving these issues, which in one of my cars, took them 4 weeks to get me a jack and wheel brace and the tonneau bar for the ute.
As for feeling special, they have a long, long way to go to be adopting a sales strategy like this!
ckugler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #50
RATT
In a Pug..

Ford

Ford Escape 76 137
Ford Fairlane 1 184
Ford Falcon 2,574 3,122
Ford Falcon Ute 815 1,027
Ford Fiesta 236 362
Ford Focus 1,077 1,269
Ford Focus Coupe Cabriolet 27 57
Ford LTD 0 4
Ford Mondeo 461 347
Ford Ranger 4X2 446 435
Ford Ranger 4X4 537 549
Ford Territory 1,089 1,284
Ford Transit 107 127
Ford Transit Bus 23 6
Ford Transit C/C 30 60
Ford Total 7,499 8,977

Holden

Holden Astra 628 1,220
Holden Astra Convertible 20 105
Holden Barina 711 948
Holden Caprice 138 244
Holden Captiva 855 856
Holden Colorado 4X2 370 0
Holden Colorado 4X4 516 0
Holden Combo 21 59
Holden Commodore 5,413 3,653
Holden Epica 175 231
Holden Rodeo 4X2 19 524
Holden Rodeo 4X4 14 607
Holden Statesman 69 110
Holden Utility 4X2 1,629 1,535
Holden Viva 270 369
Holden Total 10,848 10,464
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #51
RATT
In a Pug..

Look past the numbers. Holden sent new cars to auction late last year, and on top of that the $29990 driveaway offers etc. There would be massive losses in that for Holden. Cars sitting in a yard this time of year is dead wood. Especially considering that GMAC pulled out of floorplan funding. It would cost more to have cars sitting there than it is too sell them at a loss.
They need to go so therefore drastic action may need to be taken.

As the saying goes in the automotive industry, "Your first loss is your best loss"..
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #52
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Look past the numbers. Holden sent new cars to auction late last year, and on top of that the $29990 driveaway offers etc. There would be massive losses in that for Holden. Cars sitting in a yard this time of year is dead wood. Especially considering that GMAC pulled out of floorplan funding. It would cost more to have cars sitting there than it is too sell them at a loss.

As the saying goes in the automotive industry, "Your first loss is your best loss"..
That is exactly right....

Its better to sell 7500 cars at break even or a small profit than 11000 cars at a loss...
Ford's strategy to move more towards manufacturing to order and away from commodity predicted sales is a good one at this time.

Last edited by 4Vman; 07-01-2009 at 05:51 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #53
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckugler
Thats a joke isnt it? The last 4 Fords I have bought, I go home and check the car to make sure no bits are missing, that everthing works, that there are no marks or scratches etc, etc, and in every case there has been an issue. Then you get the battle of resolving these issues, which in one of my cars, took them 4 weeks to get me a jack and wheel brace and the tonneau bar for the ute.
As for feeling special, they have a long, long way to go to be adopting a sales strategy like this!
Sorry for speaking an opinion, I should have known better.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #54
Scott

Quote:
It would cost more to have cars sitting there than it is too sell them at a loss.

Spot on. BTW, haven't heard that saying but it's a good one.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #55
irlewy86
Meep Meep

More importanatly if GM is planning on selling off Holden the less stock on the ground the better.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #56
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
More importanatly if GM is planning on selling off Holden the less stock on the ground the better.
Interesting you say that... Was just speaking with a staff member at a ford dealer and she said that the instruction came to Holden straight from GM HO to clear everything. Get rid of it. Stat.

Also interesting that Focus and Fiesta runout models are apparently flying out the door since christmas and there are still a few BF XR6s around. So much for no stock to play with...
Old 07-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #57
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Seems to me the FG just dosn't look different enough from the BF, (when you conisder the VZ vs VE)
OFG, people still are so stupid to think this.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #58
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Gobes32]As a production worker, I can assure you it is definitely a strategy of Ford's to produce only what the market demands we make.

/QUOTE]

That means Ford can afford to get rid of some of the deadwood in the dealer network, so the surviving ones have enough volume. Basically Ford have the reason and the opportunity to raise the bar for staying a Ford dealer. That would be good for Ford and its customers.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #59
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
That means Ford can afford to get rid of some of the deadwood in the dealer network, so the surviving ones have enough volume. Basically Ford have the reason and the opportunity to raise the bar for staying a Ford dealer. That would be good for Ford and its customers.
Exactly, although I got flamed for merely mentioning the idea..............
Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #60
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Ford

...edit...
Holden Total 10,848 10,464

Thanks Ratt, any chance we can get Mazda, Toyota & Nissan?