Yes, collecting is for collectors and the road needs to be safer 14 12.84%
Yes, but it needs a lot more thinking 35 32.11%
No, australians can't afford to do this 38 34.86%
doof doof doof doof NOOOOOO pssshhht doof doof doof 22 20.18%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #31
Nickxb
XB in progress

There is a huge hole in this theory. lets say that all of the cars overs 10 years old are scraped. How do these cars ever become collector items in 30+ years?

We now collect old falcons such as the x series however if this was to come in, the future generations in say 30 years time wont have 'classic' cars to collect (BF, BA, AU ect)

Nick
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #32
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxb
There is a huge hole in this theory. lets say that all of the cars overs 10 years old are scraped. How do these cars ever become collector items in 30+ years?

We now collect old falcons such as the x series however if this was to come in, the future generations in say 30 years time wont have 'classic' cars to collect (BF, BA, AU ect)

Nick
Not scrapped, not registerable without reason.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV587
What an absolute crock of crap.Im a bit of a wheeler and dealer,always buying/selling/fixing different sorts of cars,and currently own cars from the 70s from all of the big 3.My old 202 kingswood ute has never let me down in 8 years of ownership,only thing that has cost me money on it apart from rego was having the starter motor rebuilt,the AP6 valiant is the same,dad drove that old slanty for nearly a decade with nothing but basic servicing,dads XP ute,XC GS rally pack ute.....all the same,and on full tasmanian rego....I cant think of any late model cars that you can drive for 10 years without spending anything on it,and Ive owned plenty of them too...and to be quite honest,if i was driving down the road and someone pulled out of a side street and there was no way of avoiding the accident,Ild a lot rather be driving my old 1972 Galaxie than in a new hyundai or some other simalar crap...
Tasmania:

How do you drive is any direction for 300km without drowning? How many kms on your vintage vehicles?

Cars:
No I do not know of any 3 year old cars that have been driven for 10 years without cost but I DO know of several 10 year old cars that still have the original tyres on them.

Safety:
If the vehicle emerging from the side road is a cement truck and you are doing 100km/h do you really want to be in your old technology Galaxie, tyres locked up skidding out of control and getting a dent in the front that you can gaze upon while choking on your own blood after you are impaled on the steering column? Or would you prefer to actually stop or if you do impact, crawl out of your totally stuffed metal mess, dust off all the powder from the airbags, clean your undies and ring for a taxi?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #34
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Bloody cheap way of keeping jobs I think....
Well on the flip side there'd also be a few jobs lost because of it.....Less work for mechanics, auto electricians due to having a more reliable fleet of cars on the road. Car wreckers dealing in AU and prior parts would be out of business overnight unless they can be deemed to be collectible...doubtful
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #35
HSV587
yes i drive a HSV....

Wouldnt a lot of that money be better spent on Driver education/Driver training/Better road networks with more run off spots in specified high accident areas?It seems to me drivers are a lot more complacent these days BECAUSE of all the extra safety features in their car....How many women driving 3 series BMWs do you see fiddling around with stuff when they are driving?Heaps.I somehow dont think getting older cars off the road is going to help when Sandra in her A4 Audi is putting on mascara,talkin on her hands free,while lookin for something on her Ipod,and adjusting her seatwarmers zooms through a red light and kills someones family....Cars dont kill people,Driver inattention,driver error(any driver,not just you),and bad basic maintenence kill people....but point taken about tasmania,pretty much all our cars are under 200,000 klms,my daily driver,the VR Clubby,only has 136,000....but we travel to the mainland quite a bit,got family there and occasionally ill take the old HJ 202 ute over with a stock car trailer on the back to pick up more ebay finds......which goes even more to reason especially you mainlanders,coz it amazes me every time i go there the things you lot do while driving!!!!Concentrate,and chuck your silly ipod away!!!!

Last edited by HSV587; 23-03-2009 at 03:49 PM.
HSV587 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #36
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Would you not clean swap your car for say a BA2 of equivelent build?
Not when I own a 2008 MPS6 ;)
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #37
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Well on the flip side there'd also be a few jobs lost because of it.....Less work for mechanics, auto electricians due to having a more reliable fleet of cars on the road.
You haven't read my Oil Pump thread have you
But you are right to an extent, some part of the industry would suffer - exhaust shops for example. They lose the ability to sell a muffler to the same car 5 times in it's life, but on the other flip side, their Work Cover premiums would go down because their staff would not be slitting their wrists everytime they fit a milo-tin to a Civic.
Old 23-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Not when I own a 2008 MPS6 ;)
Well then would you not like to have paid only two thirds as much?
Old 23-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #39
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You haven't read my Oil Pump thread have you
But you are right to an extent, some part of the industry would suffer - exhaust shops for example. They lose the ability to sell a muffler to the same car 5 times in it's life, but on the other flip side, their Work Cover premiums would go down because their staff would not be slitting their wrists everytime they fit a milo-tin to a Civic.

Mate , I've probably read your oil pump thread 5 times or more since January 2008 when i bought my GT...Hope its all going well for you now champ
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 23-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #40
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Your car is a good one, bloody good infact.
You obviously haven't seen it!

Wait, my work car or the weekender?

Quote:
Problem is that with every newer, safer car that hits the road, the damage they will do to your car in a prang is devastating. Your car gets "deadlier" because newer cars are built to drive straight through yours. Tree's remain just as hard though
Solution: no new cars, cut down all trees! :
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #41
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Not scrapped, not registerable without reason.
So who is going to keep a 11 year old car that isnt registerable. Nobody.....

Therefore the car goes to the scrap yard and rusts away to nothing.
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well on the flip side there'd also be a few jobs lost because of it.....Less work for mechanics, auto electricians due to having a more reliable fleet of cars on the road. Car wreckers dealing in AU and prior parts would be out of business overnight unless they can be deemed to be collectible...doubtful
Do you know how many gunshops, armourers and hunting suppliers were all put on the scap heap in 1997?

Was the big picture worth a small group being disadvantaged?
Old 23-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #43
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
You obviously haven't seen it!
lol, the fact that it has airbags given it's age.
Old 23-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #44
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
On the other hand a new industry could be created, shipping these older cars and their parts offshore, kind of like the japanese.
There is already a fair industry of older japanese model parts being containered and sent off to africa..some scrap metalers use this as a second income stream..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #45
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
On the other hand a new industry could be created, shipping these older cars and their parts offshore, kind of like the japanese.
There is already a fair industry of older japanese model parts being containered and sent off to africa..some scrap metalers use this as a second income stream..

send em to NZ

Old 23-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #46
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Given this hypothetical is primarily about road safety (first poll option), removing old cars unfortunately does not mean removing poorly skilled drivers.

The more people driving around in newer cars with all there safety features will only bring a greater false sense of security to the roads, and not actually improve anything.

As for keeping the job industry going, this is just plain madness. The cycle of replacing instead of fixing ultimately just results in more landfill. Only when newer cars can be made by recycling the older models efficiently will the car industry become sustainable.
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #47
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal
Given this hypothetical is primarily about road safety (first poll option), removing old cars unfortunately does not mean removing poorly skilled drivers.

The more people driving around in newer cars with all there safety features will only bring a greater false sense of security to the roads, and not actually improve anything.

As for keeping the job industry going, this is just plain madness. The cycle of replacing instead of fixing ultimately just results in more landfill. Only when newer cars can be made by recycling the older models efficiently will the car industry become sustainable.
And that is probably my biggest bugbear with all of these electronic driving aids. Dumbing down dumb drivers even dumber than they were before.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal

No not just safety, we are also in a recession and potentially losing out car manufacturers, fuel is going up and newer tech uses less of that and the global warming carbon credit hoax is in full swing.

Possibly one of the reasons why there are a higher percentage of crap drivers on the road is that previously they all got killed off in lesser accidents.

Some are thaking this hypothertical as a personal attack.

Just to make it perfectly clear, I am NOT comrade kev's secret policy guru
Old 23-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #49
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Just to make it perfectly clear, I am NOT comrade kev's secret policy guru
Obviously. Common sense and innovative thinking are not the strongest suits of our elected wealth diminishment team.
Old 23-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #50
mikestp
EF Ghia

why not just give us 3k to make our old cars better? :eclipsee_
your still going to spend it and help the economy blahblahblah
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #51
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
send em to NZ
Haha, they already do that with the Japanese imports, the only problem is with our poor import regulations we've had a lot of rubbish come into the country along with the good stuff.

I think a cash incentive scheme is a good idea, but needs to be thoroughly thought out before being implemented at any level.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #52
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestp
why not just give us 3k to make our old cars better? :eclipsee_
your still going to spend it and help the economy blahblahblah

Great idea...Just enough for a custom tune and oil pump gears :

Old 23-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #53
BFYOOT

simple question, what if i cant afford a new car? and not just new as in brand new.

gonna make all those old hilux ads look funny hey. you know the ones where people used to ring up and tell how many times the clock has gone around and yet its still going strong....
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #54
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
lol, the fact that it has airbags given it's age.
Oh, nah that's the EF. If the EB had airbags, they'd be for the ride-height :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #55
BlackLS
yum

Make the rule 20 years and I'll agree.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #56
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Lots of things I dont like about this idea.

Tradditionally, I dont like changing cars that often. I get a car I like and keep them.

I dont like XR6's, I like GT's, so in this case every time its over this proposed limit, I gotta buy a new GT, and it AINT gunna be a 20k car EVER.

I also dont like the idea of being forced to only be able to use my old XY GT on limited type use. As it stands now, I can hop into my XY GT ANY time I please and go out for a drive, or if my BF GT is off the road for whatever reason, the XY is my transport.

New cars cost way more to look after than older ones, and the service and parts cost is huge.

Even today with the cheaper Kia's and Hyundais etc, (on the gold coast anyway) there arent many real old dog bangers getting around anymore, not like the old EJ Holdon or X series Falcons, or Valiants etc with holes in the doors and Flinstones floor pans etc, or the old 1200 Datto spewing out more smoke from the rings than petrol out of the tank.

The dog cars today on the gold coast are like the 80's Nissan Pintara type cars and neglected VN's/P's/R's etc and XF's, EA's, B's F and L's, AU's, even some BA's etc. Theres heaps of these things running round here in a very poorly condition.

Most of the old classics are in pretty good shape and are usually well looked after by their owners these days. I dont think having them on a restricted type or limited use setup is going to make a huge diffrence in the scheme of things.
Most of the classics today come out over the weekends and are used in a small way, but its not fair to limit them completly to those who have full rego on them and want them available at any time.

I think the worst impact we would suffer from this apart from forced debt, that the banks and financial sector would love;
would be the amount of waste space and carbon/pollution from scrapping and disposing of all the cars that dont fit the above catagories.
Just imagine the space needed to store 10 to 16 odd million cars that would not meet the above criterias. And remember a lot of Aussies, specially families etc have 2 or more cars.
Even crushed or shredded, they would take up lots of space and require specialised storage/disposal of coolants/fluids and oils etc.

Also, we talk of people earning 50k a year. Im not one of those people, I keep my life very simple.
I own everything, My home, all my GT's, all the contents of my home etc etc, I have zero debt and like to keep it that way.
This allows me to work on my terms and earn less than 20k a year.
I live very simply, I dont have Foxtel etc, no home phone, just a mobile, the internet and pay the usual bills like rates, insurance, child support etc.
This translates to me 'needing' to work 2 days a week at the most.
The rest if and when I want it is pure profit for more toys or upgrades etc.
Having somthing like this proposal would force me to change my whole lifestyle, and I would never accept that. I like living on my own terms way too much.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Make the rule 20 years and I'll agree.
Yes that may be a good idea, or 15 even. That is what the second option was for.

From a purely falcon point of view all E series as later are fuel injected and have disk brakes. ABS started at EB and lots of the safety gizmos were deployed gradually after that.

So maybe 10 years really is too short.
Old 23-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #58
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Some of this sounds pretty ok. Just remember don't make too much sense else some sly pollie will steal it, bugger it and use it claiming all the while "he had a dream".

Not that I'm concerned, I'm a collector under this hypothetical, I own an RTV. They don't make em anymore..... :

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #59
Springfield_Johny

Is somone else going to pay the loan - with interest no doubt, I'm going to have to take to make up the difference.
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #60
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandjus
Is somone else going to pay the loan - with interest no doubt, I'm going to have to take to make up the difference.
Which loan?