Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #31
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Firing 5 people to avoid paperwork

Technology has changed many business models, remote cameras, GPS navigated vehicles, sensors/robots doing this that and everything else, offshore call centres, eBay, "the cloud", all part of globalisation. Result is fewer low paid jobs remain in Australia and those well paying jobs are few and far between.

As if technology/globalisation wasn't a big enough issue to content with, there are the ever friendly unions forever mandating improved working conditions, their friends in government creating miles of fair work red tape and volumes of litigation options for the lawyers - as a small business operator it can not be sustained.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #32
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post

Yet all around me every day I see people driving all these flash new cars and I wonder what the heck is going on. We seem to be heading toward recession, on one hand people are struggling yet more than 1,000,000 new cars are being sold each year and luxury brands like Mercedes and BMW are going gangbusters.

There seem to be some real contradictions going on. Are people just living way beyond their means?

It's called credit. Something which our parents didn't have easy access too, and look how good things turned out for most of them, they were the last generation of good savers.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #33
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im a cynical bastard with a element of conspiracy theorist and I reckon govco is trying to get rid of the middle class.

Of course it could be the booze talking.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2015, 12:21 AM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Im a cynical bastard with a element of conspiracy theorist and I reckon govco is trying to get rid of the middle class.

I think you might be right.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2015, 12:26 AM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
It's called credit. Something which our parents didn't have easy access too, and look how good things turned out for most of them, they were the last generation of good savers.
I bought my first new car when I was 17, with my own savings from working, bought my second new car when I was 19 again with savings, and another two second hand cars afterwards with my own savings, never had a credit card/loan, own my phones outright, and all my tools and toys.

If I can't afford it I don't buy it, simple.

You know how I saved all that money? Didn't drink, didn't smoke, smashed out Xbox to pass time without spending coin when I wasn't working or at school.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2015, 01:43 AM   #36
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I started a Bobcat and truck business last year and things are going well. I have enough work now to look at hiring someone to drive the truck for me. But when i look at all the extra costs to do it no bloody way.
Think ill drive my own truck thanks.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2015, 05:41 AM   #37
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Re: Firing 5 people to avoid paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I bought my first new car when I was 17, with my own savings from working, bought my second new car when I was 19 again with savings, and another two second hand cars afterwards with my own savings, never had a credit card/loan, own my phones outright, and all my tools and toys.

You know how I saved all that money? Didn't drink, didn't smoke, smashed out Xbox to pass time without spending coin when I wasn't working or at school.
Yeah I can proudly say I'm the same. I don't buy anything I don't need. And if there is something I want, I save until I have enough. unlike lots of people I know, I didn't go out and buy the piece of crap first car as soon as I turned 15. Imstead I saved and work all my summers and weekends until I was almost 17, when I had enough saved for a nice car that I wanted. couple years later I now got a few more cars, but I work hard2 different jobs 6 days a week and don't blow my money on what I don't need.
At the car yard I work I see it all the time, they come in and look for a car within their budget, but something else catches their eye, and they want it there and now. Hello finance!
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #38
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
How much GST would IKEA pay? Since most of its inputs are from offshore, they'd not have many of the GST credits an entirely local operation would, so wouldn't be able to easily avoid that.

Maybe that's the secret... move away from an income-based system and more toward consumption-based. I'd happily pay a 25% GST and no income tax.
It doesn't pay any, it just collects it from its buyers and passes it on to the Government.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #39
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
I started a Bobcat and truck business last year and things are going well. I have enough work now to look at hiring someone to drive the truck for me. But when i look at all the extra costs to do it no bloody way.
Don't do it. You'll make more on your own. Pretty sad thou isn't it ?
Old 27-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #40
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

That's how I was brought up. If you can't afford it you can't have it...........
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
i have a mate with a small bus business, he seems to be doing ok , but he reckons it is a huge headache,
and more often than not when i see him, he is in a constant state of stress trying to solve a money problem ie : make an expensive problem a less expensive problem, or one of his drivers keeps buggering the gear and he cant sack him, i think i would probably try and go it alone too.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #42
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What alot of "business owners" don't understand is there a two very distinct categories of owning your own business.

1. Being self employed... this is ok but it means that when you work you make money, you have a sickie or a holiday you make no money. It's good if you are making bucket loads of cash when working to support your non working time when you make no money.

2. Owning a Business.. an entity that runs it self, you have set it up, employed people and removed yourself from the day to day running of the business. Yes it still might need your leadership from time to time but you can take time off and your business still ticks over.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #43
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post

Yup, shifting our middle class wealth to Asia. We are on the fast track to a two tier society unless we reject cheap sheet imported junk.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2015, 12:37 AM   #44
AuFairlaneV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post

Maybe that's the secret... move away from an income-based system and more toward consumption-based. I'd happily pay a 25% GST and no income tax.
Sounds like a great idea but it would encourage savings and not spending and associated debt. Our whole system is about encouraging people to spend what they don't have and hoping we can keep money coming in for us to pay the interest. The Government works in the same way, I really love to see what they have planned once the last piece of infrastructure is sold off in this country.

Housing market is a great example, massive amounts of speculative debt, the majority of the growth in prices is supply and demand imbalance the squeeze coming from government policy and immigration(and possibly overseas investment). If immigration was to slow and oversupply was to occur I would hate to see the results.

Your idea is great and would encourage the average person to save and have more stable life but what government would want that
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #45
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
That's how I was brought up. If you can't afford it you can't have it...........
Ooooh yeah, we must have gone to the same school of hard knocks.

Nothing more satisfying than buying with cash....
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #46
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a lot of incentive... 75k at home is about cosy as it gets, typical contribution fearing misanthropist.

Anyone who owns a salon earning over 75k has it beyond bloody easy, not even a domino's turns over that much salary for the owner.

Just a typical commoner expecting above the median of society when cutting hair is probably in the lower 10% of professions.

Over 75k for running a salon I hope everyone here realizes the sook this everything for nothing lib feels entitled to, these people want everything for nothing. At the expense of everyone else.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 08-03-2015 at 05:51 PM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #47
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over 75k for a hair salon? I'll just let that sink in. She can pay her accountant to keep the books, deduct the expense, and still be well above the 10 per hour she's truly worth.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:00 AM   #48
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR View Post
There's a lot of incentive... 75k at home is about cosy as it gets, typical contribution fearing misanthropist.

Anyone who owns a salon earning over 75k has it beyond bloody easy, not even a domino's turns over that much salary for the owner.

Just a typical commoner expecting above the median of society when cutting hair is probably in the lower 10% of professions.

Over 75k for running a salon I hope everyone here realizes the sook this everything for nothing lib feels entitled to, these people want everything for nothing. At the expense of everyone else.
Someone must have given you a bad haircut !!

The old pizza analogy, is that your only life experience ? Have you ever noticed that MOST franchised pizza shops are staff run and hence any profit is basically a return on an investment ( something along the lines of what was posted earlier ) .
Can you imagine what it would be like to run a shop with 5 females ???? She deserved to be paid more.LOL .
Your politics are a bit screwy too , bagging what is now classified as median wage these days (temporary as it may be ) , is it because it's a female or a just that anti boss phobia you have that instils such viral words against someone you have had no contact with and hence would not have a CLUE what her personal circumstances are .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2015, 03:31 AM   #49
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Someone must have given you a bad haircut !!

The old pizza analogy, is that your only life experience ? Have you ever noticed that MOST franchised pizza shops are staff run and hence any profit is basically a return on an investment ( something along the lines of what was posted earlier ) .
Can you imagine what it would be like to run a shop with 5 females ???? She deserved to be paid more.LOL .
Your politics are a bit screwy too , bagging what is now classified as median wage these days (temporary as it may be ) , is it because it's a female or a just that anti boss phobia you have that instils such viral words against someone you have had no contact with and hence would not have a CLUE what her personal circumstances are .
I'd personally love to run a shop with 5 females but I wonder what's she's doing at home now? The client base her current income comes from? Whether it's actually derived from the efforts of formerly employed people that have hoisted her up there.. or from her own work where she can actually feel entitled to the entire trough as she so frustratingly demands? I doubt someone with a mentality like hers has any real ability... or theory of mind for that matter.

With all her sooking she still has other people to thank for her current wealth situation and not herself lol. Past networks, clients, colleagues etc anything relevant to her professional past she has to thank for her current position. Most people in her position get this and feel blessed and grateful rather than hard done by.. it's just moles like this who create outrage. It's a low class drunk redneck bogan mentality, the traits of these types are evident to the entire public lol. They're just incredibly dumb out of touch, self feeding apathetic people. People like her are generally decrepit in the head and have 10 cousins in Morwell.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 12-03-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #50
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
I'd personally love to run a shop with 5 females but I wonder what's she's doing at home now? The client base her current income comes from? Whether it's actually derived from the efforts of formerly employed people that have hoisted her up there.. or from her own work where she can actually feel entitled to the entire trough as she so frustratingly demands? I doubt someone with a mentality like hers has any real ability... or theory of mind for that matter.

With all her sooking she still has other people to thank for her current wealth situation and not herself lol. Past networks, clients, colleagues etc anything relevant to her professional past she has to thank for her current position. Most people in her position get this and feel blessed and grateful rather than hard done by.. it's just moles like this who create outrage. It's a low class drunk redneck bogan mentality, the traits of these types are evident to the entire public lol. They're just incredibly dumb out of touch, self feeding apathetic people. People like her are generally decrepit in the head and have 10 cousins in Morwell.
Wow.....................just wow........
Old 12-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #51
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Over 75k for a hair salon? I'll just let that sink in. She can pay her accountant to keep the books, deduct the expense, and still be well above the 10 per hour she's truly worth.

You are one jilted person. Any time I read a comments and think 'damn this bloke can't be for real' it ends up being you.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #52
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'd personally love to run a shop with 5 females but I wonder what's she's doing at home now?
Of course you would, like when you're booked out for the day, and one or two of the apprentices are at trade school, then one of your senior's calls in sick 30mins before her first client is due.

Perhaps if you got out into the real world you might not be quite bitter.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #53
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

lol
10 an hr?
i wouldnt get outta bed for 20 ffs
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #54
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol problem?

Nothing towards hair dressers just this entitled mole (unlike her I don't believe they're worth the same as an engineering graduate.. not that she could ever be one, let alone make it past the second year with that bogan lib mentality).

As far as salons/pizza/retail go I wouldn't risk opening one unless the only people who worked there were my family.. as far as an auto shop well you get a lot of useless incapable people there. I'd say the main thing comes down to vetting the correct staff/personality type, rather than hiring mr charisma that reminds you of yourself 20 years ago. Also I wouldn't mind working after close if I had my own car place but that's just me. If I was worried about staff that much I'd probably hire a few full time from day 1. A head mechanic. That's how you solve the problem, the right person will come in day in and day out knowing he has a secure full time job for the next 8 years, and not some McDonalds casual system that could change is lifestyle as soon as the next working day.

Just for clarification, I believe running a hair salon and receiving over 75k salary as the owner is extremely good and better off than 80% of people. If you were to ask me when stops becoming worthwhole I'd say 60k if it was me. And I bet most of them who are better people than this mole struggle to even turn over 40kl for themselves... let alone anything.

For perspective: "According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, as of May 2008 beauty shop professionals on average earned $30,000 annually, with the lower 50 percent earning $22,000 and the upper 50 percent earning $41,000." ...Had a feeling she had it pretty good somehow, she'd probably have a heart attack working over there.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 12-03-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

In the auto game if you're a LV mechanic/auto electrician there isn't much coin around Melbourne working for someone else, but there is a fair bit of coin if you are the one running the business.

There is plenty of work around, but the setup costs are very high, which is why you pay $90/hour + for labour because of how expensive it is to have:

Hoist (assuming 4 poster with pneumatic mid-lifts) $5000
Multiple scan tools (their updates as well which cost extra $$$) $10,000+
A/C equipment $4000
Hand tools $10,000+
Air compressor: $2000

Thats not including licensing costs for A/C work, fees to be part of the VACC and other groups, workshop rental etc.

I'm no hair dresser but I assume its not cheap having a shop in the middle of a shopping center or right in the middle of town.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #56
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Illavitar. What do you do for a living. If memory serves you were the one who wanted to buy a house whilst on Centrelink! Also the one who thinks there should be a cap on dollar value of people's assets. If anything you are the one with the entitled attitude not the 'libs' like you keep on mentioning.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #57
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure it seems easy owning a business when it is someone else who built it up and runs it.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #58
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Illavitar
She is not on a salary of $75k, that is the ATO requirement for GST to apply.
$75k TOTAL income, and you must register for GST.
All wages, rent, and costs come out of your turn over.
The $75k is just the trigger for registration for GST.
Understand?
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #59
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
Illavitar
She is not on a salary of $75k, that is the ATO requirement for GST to apply.
$75k TOTAL income, and you must register for GST.
All wages, rent, and costs come out of your turn over.
The $75k is just the trigger for registration for GST.
Understand?
Well put . It ****** me off when someone begrudges a small businessperson for in a lot of cases making what these days is a average wage for 24/7 input . Illavatar put all your assets on the line, put your life in the hands of the banks, deal with all the personal issues of your employees and jump thru all the hoops the government presents you and then make comment .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #60
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

And a small business person he has never met who he refers to as "A Mole". Grow up a bit eh.............