Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #31
I6DOHC

Default Re: Higher speed limits in QLD (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
This post prompted me to go and check their policies out.
Ditto this for me as well, and it is quite interesting they seem to have some sensible ideas. On similar motoring theme (and not trying to hijack this thread) I saw these below.

Highlights - Vehicle Registrations
• Standardise the price of all passenger vehicle registrations down to the current 4cycl rate. One engine one price.
• Reduce the price of commercial vehicle registration for individuals and small to medium enterprises by 25%
immediately.
• Scrap Rego stickers, saving $9,000,000 annually. Registration linked to registration plates as per Western Australian
system.

Interesting anyway.

Back on the original topic I also think that a sensible approach to speed limits is long overdue. If the lawmakers can ensure the roads are up to standard with seperate dual-carriageways for opposing traffic and perhaps use the variable limit approach....it might work.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
nstg8a

the road north of nudgee needs a massive makeover, but a 120-130 limit would be a good start.
agree with the earlier comment about it seeming like the gc to bne route is already 125, try sitting on 100-110 and everyone goes past you like your sitting still.
and hell yes, bring in regular inspections for cars, nz has it every 6 months and it works, it forces people to maintain their cars.
it was one thing that blew me away when i first came here, was the state of some of the cars on the road here.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #33
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm still waiting for someone to fix "Old Northern Road" from Albany Creek to Enoggera.

Seriously, I have nearly made mince meat out of my wheels, pot holes you could stand up to your knees in! And they just fill them in with gravel mixed with tar... which then evacuates itself everytime it rains, thus creating more issues.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #34
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since we are looking at policies...

The LNP shadow attourney general was on local TV.... If they come to power they will pass laws that on your FIRST offence they will confiscate your car for 3 months and then if you have a 2nd offence in 5yrs... crush it!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #35
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Since we are looking at policies...

The LNP shadow attourney general was on local TV.... If they come to power they will pass laws that on your FIRST offence they will confiscate your car for 3 months and then if you have a 2nd offence in 5yrs... crush it!
Is this for hoons, or the average punter who got caught a couple click over?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #36
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Is this for hoons, or the average punter who got caught a couple click over?
This is from the LNP site. It's a bit of an eye opener especially to people that attribute Nanny-state to the ALP. Looks like QLD will follow NSW with Liberal Nanny state laws.

http://lnp.org.au/news/leader-of-the...rakes-on-hoons

Quote:
A CanDo LNP Government will crackdown on illegal street racing and hooning by introducing the strictest anti-hooning laws in the nation.

LNP Leader Campbell Newman said the LNP was committed to ensuring Queensland families were safe in their communities through the LNP's Safer Streets Crime Action Plan.

"Illegal street racing and activities such as burn-outs, donuts, drifting, and unnecessary speed or acceleration are collectively known as hooning," Mr Newman said.

"These activities are highly dangerous to other road users, as well as those inside the offending car. It also is highly disruptive to local families and businesses.

"The LNP will crackdown on hoons by introducing the toughest hooning laws in the nation.

"Under our anti-hooning laws will be the equal toughest in the nation, with cars clamped and the off the road for three months for a first hooning offence, and forfeited and sold or crushed for any subsequent offence within the next five years.

"Under this tired, 20-year Labor government, hoons only have their cars impounded for 48 hours – when a recent study found a 48-hour impoundment was not a genuine deterrent, with comments such as 'I don't think it's too bad.'

"The LNP will ensure residents in local communities can report hooning so action can be taken. The LNP proposed the HOONWatch hotline, and through strong advocacy this important line was established – and we'll continue to support the hotline."

Mr Newman said the tired, 20-year Labor government had failed to tackle hooning – instead sitting back and doing little or nothing for years.

"Bligh Labor's anti-hooning laws are some of the weakest in Australia – as consistently highlighted by police, community leaders and the LNP.

"It's time for a change. With your help a strong and united LNP Government will get Queensland back on track."
Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #37
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Might solve the congestion on our roads.

My car might be in there though
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #38
mick457
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Hi Tony,
Do you know the reason behind the 125 kph link to the South Burnett?
I'm missing the significance....

John
if you have ever tryed to drive from kingaroy to gympie and then brisbane youll know why
aka last years floods that cut kingas from pretty much everything and then driving down to pick your mother up who is stuck in brisbane
the d'aguilar highway is a mess at the moment but in sections i dont have a problem doing 110 + i dont pretend for you city folk to understand and i dont care if dont but the people up this way know what im talking about
either fix the d'aguilar or get us another rd
full power to katter

Performace
DBA 4000s, Blue power intake, Whiteline swaybars, FG manifold, PWR Radiator, king springs low, Monroe gt sport
DJR bobtail, LSD 3.46, 20%UD
Pacemaker 4490s, Venom cat, redback catback
mick457 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #39
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
While this is political it is a very important thing for Queenslanders as we have an election shortly.

I just received a policy document from Katter's Australian Party.

It stated that they are going to upgrade the Bruce from the Gateway to Sunny Coast to 125km/h and build a new 125km/h arterial road from Sunny coast to South Burnett as well as sort out several of our other problem spots.

This is the first time in at least a decade that there has been a policy to raise speed limits instead of lowering them and installing more speed cameras.

It is very interesting and I am looking forward to all the screaming from the wowsers as well as replies from the other parties.

2012 is turning out to be a very interesting year.......

P.S. this is not a "vote katter" thread it is a "fix the roads and make life easier for road users" thread and I hope that others do the same.
About time someone did something positive in QLD the last time anyone did was back in Sir Joh time as Premier, as he was always looking ahead to the future and got things done. the Lib Nats are hopeless shirt lifters just about as full of it as the ALP, just you Wait and see.
125 KM/H is nothing and all that people need to know is to keep bloody left if you are just diddling about.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #40
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
"Illegal street racing and activities such as burn-outs, donuts, drifting, and unnecessary speed or acceleration are collectively known as hooning,"
What brilliant govco system are they gonna introduce that determines what unnecessary means?

-1 from me CanDo.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #41
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Just got back to Central Queensland from a trip to the 'Great South East'.
Travelled from Rockhampton to Kingaroy last Thursday mostly on the Burnett and Bunya highways, great drive no real complaints about the road conditions.
Then on Friday, travelled to Dalby via the Bunya Mountains and then onto Ipswich via Toowoomba, it was what I expected, considering the amount of traffic that goes on these roads.
Went for a V8 drive around Willowbank on Saturday morning, I was surprised to see the lack of traffic on the 4 lane Cunningham highway for a Saturday when heading for Brisbane. We are crying out for roads like this north of Gympie and here is one, that from what I saw, was under utilised!
Today after having a nice time in the 'Great South East', I travelled the Bruce Highwat home. Granted there is A LOT OF road work from Gympie north, but from Maryborough north, it seems only upgrading the existing 2 lane road. There is a lot of truck traffic on the road today (and probably every other day), carrying all sorts of mining equipment or other mining related stuff and a lack of over taking lanes. I would struggle to count any more than 5 overtaking lanes north of Rockhampton through to Cairns.

It must be difficult for Governments to decide who to please when doing these highways.
Do they please the majority of the population (votes) in the great south east, or should they improve the infrustructure for the cash register the mining regions north of Gympie!

I invite any members from the Great South East to have a drive north to Rockhampton, then express your whinge about the conditions of the roads you currently have.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Amazing the contempt held for the South East by a few on here, I lived in Cenrtal Qld for near on 30 years
and regularly use the Bruce so know its condition well. I also understand that any funding for roads has to
be raised from money mostly collected from the South East so rather than bash those people over the head
we should be appreciative of the money being spent considering that people in Brisbane probably won't be
using the roads they pay for but understand that Qld is a big state and the bush is deserving of better roads.

Just remember a lot of people in Brisbane are missing out on the resources boom and doing it tough in their jobs,
quite a few I know are still getting over the damage caused to their houses that insurance companies won't touch.

The initiative in the OP is to be applauded but I fear that it is way to practical for the "safety Sam bureaucrats".
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #43
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaldo
Travelled from Rockhampton to Kingaroy last Thursday mostly on the Burnett and Bunya highways, great drive no real complaints about the road conditions.
Then on Friday, travelled to Dalby via the Bunya Mountains and then onto Ipswich via Toowoomba, it was what I expected, considering the amount of traffic that goes on these roads.
Went for a V8 drive around Willowbank on Saturday morning, I was surprised to see the lack of traffic on the 4 lane Cunningham highway for a Saturday when heading for Brisbane. We are crying out for roads like this north of Gympie and here is one, that from what I saw, was under utilised!
Today after having a nice time in the 'Great South East', I travelled the Bruce Highwat home. Granted there is A LOT OF road work from Gympie north, but from Maryborough north, it seems only upgrading the existing 2 lane road. There is a lot of truck traffic on the road today (and probably every other day), carrying all sorts of mining equipment or other mining related stuff and a lack of over taking lanes. I would struggle to count any more than 5 overtaking lanes north of Rockhampton through to Cairns.

It must be difficult for Governments to decide who to please when doing these highways.
Do they please the majority of the population (votes) in the great south east, or should they improve the infrustructure for the cash register the mining regions north of Gympie!

I invite any members from the Great South East to have a drive north to Rockhampton, then express your whinge about the conditions of the roads you currently have.
You mean drive further North of Rockhampton, particularly Mackay to Cairns.
(or worse still, Hughenden to Mt Isa)
People (and especially pollititions) forget that Queensland exists outside the south east.

While the majority of the population lives "down south", the majority of goods, fruit and vege, mining etc... happens in the rest of the state.

This means most of it travels BY ROAD as our rail system is sadly lacking.

For decades the Bruce highway past Rocky was an absolute disgrace and a real shocker Townsville to Cairns (I think the last single lane TIMBER bridge dissappeared around 1989). Yes thats right... timber single lane bridges.. (but of course the fabled Premier of a certain period never spent a dime on highways outside the Brisbane area, until he was finally gotten rid of).

The Bruce highway now is better, but still not flood proof in a lot of areas, and lacks over-taking lanes. (Only 4 from memory between Townsville and Cairns). Some areas are still very narrow and disgusting (eg Tully)

The cost to lives (in crashes) and increase in freight costs which flow through to products sold at the markets because the roads are crap doesnt seem to register witho our government "south" and really never has...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #44
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

I agree with Mackay north to Cairns as I have done that run last May.
West to Mt. Isa I have never done.
However these roads need to be made to suit the amount of traffic that runs on them.
At the moment with the mining boom the Bruce highway is heavily used.
Today alone on my journey I saw 6 different trucks heading south with coal (rail) wagons on the back. Travelling north were 8 trucks with all sorts of different mining machinery, about 6 trucks with mining parts (tyres for example) amongst all the other normal frieght trucks and all this was mainly on the 2 lane section of the Bruce.
At one of the road works there was a line up of 35 vehicles, god knows how long the first ones have been waiting there. The average line up of vehichles at all the other road works would have been 20.
So as for the OP, I biasedly reckon that the government should be getting all major regional roads up to scatch before they start paving the roads of the 'Great South East' with gold!

JPD80, I agree people are doing it tough re- insurances for floods in the south.
The north have had there Cyclones over the last couple of years and are still trying to get things fixed, the central region suffered with floods also.
One thing I would advise members if you are considering a trip north, use the inland highways as IMHO the are quicker, safer & better condition than the Bruce from my experience over the last couple of days!
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #45
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yeh I think they are trying to set up development in that direction and the commute would be faster. The current nothern run is a mess until Bribie when the Island/Beachmere and Caboolture/Kilcoy traffic wanders off. It is no surprise that this is where the point to point camera lives.

If that can split off some of the Bris Valley traffic from Ipswich/Centenary then that will reduce that headache a bit.

I have always thought that extending the airport line over the swamp and up to Redcliff and then Beachmere with a road beside the rail would remove a few more headaches but the "boonah wetland greenies" would go nuts.

That would be Boondall wetlands

there has been talk of a bridge from Beachmere to D/Bay for as long as I can remember(I've been here since 1972) which would reduce the trip to Brisbane by 20 minutes
As for a rail line..... hell we can't even get a bus to Caboolture out of school bus hours
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #46
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
So as for the OP, I biasedly reckon that the government should be getting all major regional roads up to scatch before they start paving the roads of the 'Great South East' with gold!
That's right. SEQ is the land of milk and honey. You should move here. It only takes me between 90 minutes and 2 hours to travel 35KM to the city during the morning commute. A leisurely 90 minute drive from Bris Airport to home weekdays.

It's fantastic!!!

And the best bit is that I also get to pay for the privilege of driving on our nice toll roads, bridges and tunnels.

Public transport is also brilliant. Overcrowded busses and trains lets you meet lots of new interesting people, up close!

The infrastructure across the whole of QLD is not up to scratch. The people who live in SEQ are not receiving special treatment. I'd rather live in Rocky and commute to Gladstone every day. It would be quicker and less stressful.

What really grinds my gears is the us vs them mentality of some of my fellow QLDers. The people in Brisbane and SEQ are much more sympathetic to the needs of regional QLD that you realise.
Old 14-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yes it all gets parochial but in the big picture there are no traffic jams or peak hours in CQ or further north and it is all one road. The improvements have to be done a bit at a time and the bits that get the fixes first are the ones used the most. More cars drive between GC/Bris/SC every day than between Rocky and Cairns in a week. If you want to see it drive there on a week day.

Eventually the Bruce will be multi lane all the way to Cairns (actually it would have been by 1950 except for the bloody mindedness of the Melbourne dominated post war Federal Government).
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #48
4stanger