Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #31
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus
I see it at last once a week here in Ruddville.

Two lane roundabout. Dual carriageways entering and leaving. Standard arrows on each approach lane - left turn or straight ahead in the left lane and right turn or straight ahead in the right lane.

I'm in the right lane, rh indicator on. Older tourist in the left lane, next to me, Hmmm, he also has his rh indicator on.

Naturally I enter the roundabout with caution, and Yep, as expected, he turns right from the left lane. At least he stayed in his lane. Lucky for him I wasn't going straight ahead.

Before I judge him senile and dangerous, are all states consistent with roundabout rules?
Sounds like an Australian.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #32
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
If I'm in the left lane entering a roundabout, theres a car already on the roundabout in the right lane who is turning right, I always enter the roundabout. My lane is free he is turning right. I do enter with caution in case they are going to cut across my lane. and forgot to turn off their indicator.
Yes, enter with caution, because many think coming from the right, they have right of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I read somewhere awhile ago (I think it was only 10%, could have been lower) of road users knew the road rules when it came to roundabouts.
Yes, I say at least 90%, probably more 95% of drivers along Sunbury Road from the Melbourne airport do not know how to negotiate the several double lane roundabouts along that road.
They look like this:

Coming from the right side of the tee, drivers have their own lane to enter the roundabout, but they just sit there waiting for the queue of cars coming from the right to finish, because they think they have to give way to the right, and dont realise they have a lane as well. If they found time to read the road rules, they will discover there is nothing about giving way to the right at roundabouts, only giving way to vehicles on the roundabout - in other words, stay in your lane as there is no reason to change lanes in these roundabouts.

And they wonder why the road is so congested in peak hour despite well designed roundabouts - no-one knows how to use them.

These are generally the same drivers who at the next roundabout cut straight across the lanes regardless of other traffic. And many are P-platers -dont they get taught?

Here is a page from the Vicroads guide which should clarify how to negotiate roundabouts. Would be great if the RACV and the media explain this better to the public who dont know:
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #33
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

By the way, looking at the Vicroads diagram above, they show vehicles indicating when entering the roundabout, not when exiting, and only when turning, not going straight ahead.
Old 26-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #34
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Does Victoria also have the indicate when exiting rule?

If they do, then that picture is misleading. They should show what indicators are flashing on the exiting cars....

Edit... ditto to above
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #35
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Here's the other page. Looks like you only indicate when exiting when it is practical to do so when going straight on or turning right.

Old 26-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #36
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
So you want people to indicate their intent when they get on the roundabout...How would you know when they are getting off?
You can look at their face, I guess. :

You don't need to know which exit they are using - cars should never be in a position to cross one another's paths. Left lane - you either go straight or left; Right lane - you either go straight or right.

Cars looking to enter the roundabout need to give way to cars already on the roundabout so, again, there should never be a position where cars must cross paths.

Quote:
What if they indicate right when they first get on the roundabout and they want to get off at the third exit?

I think this would confuse already confused motorists, unless I have misread your post.

I read somewhere awhile ago (I think it was only 10%, could have been lower) of road users knew the road rules when it came to roundabouts. Scary stuff!
People stuff up single lane roundabouts, let alone multi-lane.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #37
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Yes, enter with caution, because many think coming from the right, they have right of way.

Yes, I say at least 90%, probably more 95% of drivers along Sunbury Road from the Melbourne airport do not know how to negotiate the several double lane roundabouts along that road.
They look like this:

Coming from the right side of the tee, drivers have their own lane to enter the roundabout, but they just sit there waiting for the queue of cars coming from the right to finish, because they think they have to give way to the right, and dont realise they have a lane as well. If they found time to read the road rules, they will discover there is nothing about giving way to the right at roundabouts, only giving way to vehicles on the roundabout - in other words, stay in your lane as there is no reason to change lanes in these roundabouts.

And they wonder why the road is so congested in peak hour despite well designed roundabouts - no-one knows how to use them.

These are generally the same drivers who at the next roundabout cut straight across the lanes regardless of other traffic. And many are P-platers -dont they get taught?

Here is a page from the Vicroads guide which should clarify how to negotiate roundabouts. Would be great if the RACV and the media explain this better to the public who dont know:
Is that the roundabout after bulla hill near the quarry where all the roadworks are going on? If it is, you see people going 100km/h in the 40 and 60 roadworks zones, then they rage at you if you actually do the speed limit there. Or is that the one with the STUPID plants there, so you can't see the traffic ahead because of the stupid plants being there blocking the view? Also, my driving instructor tells me if the roundabout is rather large with multiple exits, you have to indicate out of it regardless if you are going straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by Daymoe; 26-05-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #38
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Give the tourists a fair go, gotta deal with unfamiliar environment, don't really know where ya going most of the time, unfamiliar road laws, driving on opposite side etc etc.... speaking which i just got back to the states from australia, i am at LAX. Lets hope i dont have a head-on or go around a roundabout the wrong way lol.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #39
LTDHO
The one and only

They are the simplest yet most confusing intersection and that includes the hook turn!

Unless otherwise marked.
Left lane = Turn left and straight
Middle lane = Straight only
Right lane = Straight and turn right.

A round about is simply an island in the middle intersection of streets. You indicate to show your intended new direction. They are not an intersection within an intersection, so indicating in and out is not required. You wouldn't do it at any other intersection!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #40
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
By the way, looking at the Vicroads diagram above, they show vehicles indicating when entering the roundabout, not when exiting, and only when turning, not going straight ahead.
LOL You are supposed to cancel the indicator as soon as you exit the roundabout, probably so the poor sod on the inside lane doesn't get the impression he's about to be minced.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #41
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Give the tourists a fair go, gotta deal with unfamiliar environment, don't really know where ya going most of the time, unfamiliar road laws, driving on opposite side etc etc.... speaking which i just got back to the states from australia, i am at LAX. Lets hope i dont have a head-on or go around a roundabout the wrong way lol.
I still laugh at Chevy Chase in European Vacation
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #42
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I hate to tell you it is not just tourists. Where I live it seems no one knows how to use roundabouts. I have had near misses 6 times in the last 4 months because of idiots going around the round about in the left lane. Not long ago I watched it happen to a cop car. The cop car almost T-Boned some idiot, they went after him. Same deal on the big bunbury roundabout again people are idiots in general. I had to lock the brakes, swerve and go back around the round about because I went to go straight in the right lane and some idiot with augusta plates went right around in the left lane.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #43
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
I hate to tell you it is not just tourists. Where I live it seems no one knows how to use roundabouts. I have had near misses 6 times in the last 4 months because of idiots going around the round about in the left lane. Not long ago I watched it happen to a cop car. The cop car almost T-Boned some idiot, they went after him. Same deal on the big bunbury roundabout again people are idiots in general. I had to lock the brakes, swerve and go back around the round about because I went to go straight in the right lane and some idiot with augusta plates went right around in the left lane.
I agree with you. Thing is roundabouts only came to Australia in the early 1980s. A lot of people who where driving before that have never bothered to learn how to use them. Same with people who slow down on freeway slip roads.

What is really sad is there was a case here in Victoria about 10 years ago like the one you describe above that resulted in a car hitting another that turned right from the left lane. The magistrate let off said idiot and had the guy who was going straight ahead charged : The police couldn't believe it. Rules have since been clarified.

Roundabouts seem to work better in the UK. The lanes sort of spiral and you get into a clearly marked lane on the approach and get spat off at the correct exit.

People still wait to long to enter roundabouts causing backup as well.

Such is life.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #44
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

as a tourist who's just getting used to driving on the wrong side of the street.... the roundabouts here were the most tricky for me.... you can't follow your instinct otherwise your left side of the car will end up on the curb.... or kerb as you like to call it here... lol
Old 27-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #45
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

yeah happens constantly, ive got one near me, people forget what their right foot is for and constantly cause a long back up!

People here as just incapable at merging,
take the lovely (Dark Tanned) gentleman on the Westgate yesterday, RH lane closed, BIG signs, Flashing signs and witches hats, he overtook people trying to merge doing the right thing by passing in the emergency lane three times before just forcing his way in at the last minute, disrespectful and impatient, no wonder we have road rage! :

Speed doesnt kill, dick heads do :

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #46
TZH
Only have the small Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
They are the simplest yet most confusing intersection and that includes the hook turn!

Unless otherwise marked.
Left lane = Turn left and straight
Middle lane = Straight only
Right lane = Straight and turn right.

A round about is simply an island in the middle intersection of streets. You indicate to show your intended new direction. They are not an intersection within an intersection, so indicating in and out is not required. You wouldn't do it at any other intersection!
Yes,I'm agree.This is what a roundabouts.
Old 28-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #47
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile 80s

What do you mean roundabouts only came to OZ in the 80s
Croydon Vic 1964 out side the station I remember being in the back of a ute it was legal back then going round and round smoke every where a bit like drift racing now
ah the good ol days
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post