Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #31
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Now I white hair, prostate problems and an AURION!
: (

Never mind mate, it could be worse, I know the feeling though.

Why don't you pick up an AU XR8 for the weekends, they are going for a song these days, I did, bloody loud too, the wife, the neighbours, actually the whole street hates it but I love it
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #32
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
Not only that, but Zoom magazine did a test on gutted cats a while back, vs high flow cats, and found there to be little to no difference - namely because of the drastic change in diameter, the airflow was being restricted anyway, even without the "honeycomb" to slow things down.
It doesn't matter, he is ending up with a cat that flows higher than stock, but a bit less than higflow, for no extra cost. Better than forking out an extra $350.

They don't get rid of all the gases anyway, only some of them. Also if anyone is that worried about the atmosphere then get a 4cyl.
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #33
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
It doesn't matter, he is ending up with a cat that flows higher than stock, but a bit less than higflow, for no extra cost. Better than forking out an extra $350.

They don't get rid of all the gases anyway, only some of them. Also if anyone is that worried about the atmosphere then get a 4cyl.
He is also breaking the law. If I find his rego number, I will be ringing the EPA for sure.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #34
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree JC, but what I don't get is legally all cars that run on ulp require a cat. Now that super dosn't exist, does this mean all pre 80's cars are illegal?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #35
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
I agree JC, but what I don't get is legally all cars that run on ulp require a cat. Now that super dosn't exist, does this mean all pre 80's cars are illegal?
The emission laws are not retrospective. If the car didn't come with cats you do not need to have them.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #36
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Also if anyone is that worried about the atmosphere then get a 4cyl.
You're a goose.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #37
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
It's a valid point that you raise, but these cars are a very small percentage of vehicles on the road today and would represent a very small amount of total vehicle pollution.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #38
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:

Mate, you're an idiot.

As JC said, if I find his rego details, I will be reporting it to the EPA.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #39
stiddy
Banned

You'd be hard pressed finding a car off the factory showroom floor that passes emissions let alone a punched out cat. They only pass by default.
I wouldnt report him, but I do think its stupid effectively running without a cat knowing the penalties involved.
Impounded car, upto $20,000 fine.. hmm $350 for a highflow cat doesnt sound too bad now does it?
I got a 3inch stainless steel Xforce highflow cat for $139 off ebay.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #40
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
I got a 3inch stainless steel Xforce highflow cat for $139 off ebay.
I got a 2.5" high flow mangaflow (genuine, brand new) cat off ebay for $160 delivered, then $120 to flange and fit it. I certainly feel better knowing that I am running a legal, high flow system - as these young blokes grow up and start to care about the world we live in, they will feel better doing the right thing too. From my point of view, I really don't care if there is a world in 50 years - I'll be dead by then, but my kids would probably care. I'm not a greenie in the traditional sense, but I do believe we should look after the world we live in for future generations. I mean, the dinosaurs obviously didn't care, and look what happened to them.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #41
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That'll teach those dinosaurs for not running cats
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
That'll teach those dinosaurs for not running cats
Closest they had was the Sabre-Tooth Tiger, I believe, but the flow rates were woeful given the large protrusion in the opening. :

Old 03-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #43
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Sorry, but no straight 6 can ever sound anywhere near a V8.
You must have missed the silly smiley at the end of the bait mate!

Anyway, the V8 I had in mind was my uni mate's ZG Fairlane with the strangled 2V 302 and single pipe. It sounded almost like a 6.... :-) <------ SFSF

Seriously, from the passenger's seat it was hard to pick what was upfront. There was no V8 throb. Nothing. Just a thrashy asthmatic roar as the revs rose to strangulation point. And the idle was generic as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
As for the rest, you can convince your ears otherwise, but extractors make little to no difference to the note. They can't - they are pipe only - mufflers are what controls the noise levels.
But note and noise level are 2 different things. The mufflers control the noise level (at the tailpipe) but the length of the primary can influence the pitch, or note (higher/lower, harmonics etc).
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #44
ryanjay
Starter Motor

What about the performance difference between the 4499 and the 4480? ive got the 4499 pacemakers, hi-flow cat, 2.5 redback, hi-flow air filter and big snorkel, and in all honesty it doesnt really go that much harder than standard. Im taking it into JMM soon to get a cam and a tune. Hopefully that will give a bit more power.
ryanjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #45
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjay
What about the performance difference between the 4499 and the 4480? ive got the 4499 pacemakers, hi-flow cat, 2.5 redback, hi-flow air filter and big snorkel, and in all honesty it doesnt really go that much harder than standard. Im taking it into JMM soon to get a cam and a tune. Hopefully that will give a bit more power.
Unless you have a cam etc to go with them, the 4480s are a waste of time. Large primary's mean you lose low down torque, but gain high rpm power. Not many of us spend all day above 4000rpm.

The edit and cam should free up plenty of power, and any extractor will let you make the most of the changes (more air out).

Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #46
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjay
With you there mate. I've got all the same mods, and I'm really not all that impressed. The cat back exhaust made the biggest difference IMO, but the cat and extractors in particular I am pretty disappointed with.

Don't get me wrong, wasn't expecting huge gains, but was expecting it to be a little better than how it feels now.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #47
ryanjay
Starter Motor

what kind of power increases do you think i should expect with getting a cam, dyno tune and the edit? Because judging by the increases that i got from what ive done so far, mabey i am expecting too much?
ryanjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 02:09 AM   #48
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Mate, you're an idiot.

As JC said, if I find his rego details, I will be reporting it to the EPA.
Whatever mate, just saying my 2c, i may not agree with your opinion but i'm not going to call you an idiot.

I care a lot about the planet, I do everything I can to keep her clean, its just I was under the impression that cat converters only remove a fraction of the pollutants, and aren't what they're cracked up to be. Anyway sounds from the posts that I'm wrong lol.
I take back the 4cyl part too, my bad. I was in a real bad mood when I posted, not proud, sorry guys.

Anyways, apart from the pacies, does anyone have HM headers fitted? Or a custom made set? If so what gains did you get? I think the HM headers are a bit dearer than the pacies, would they be worth the extra money?

Cheers Nic
Old 04-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #49
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Whatever mate, just saying my 2c, i may not agree with your opinion but i'm not going to call you an idiot.

I care a lot about the planet, I do everything I can to keep her clean, its just I was under the impression that cat converters only remove a fraction of the pollutants, and aren't what they're cracked up to be. Anyway sounds from the posts that I'm wrong lol.
I take back the 4cyl part too, my bad. I was in a real bad mood when I posted, not proud, sorry guys.
Cheers Nic
Fair call mate, I'm probably the idiot in this case! I don't think I've ever resorted to mud slinging before on here, just get really annoyed with all these people you hear about hollowing out their cats. I'm not a greenie by any measure of the term, but I also don't go out deliberately destroying our home for future generations.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #50
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Fair call mate, I'm probably the idiot in this case! I don't think I've ever resorted to mud slinging before on here, just get really annoyed with all these people you hear about hollowing out their cats. I'm not a greenie by any measure of the term, but I also don't go out deliberately destroying our home for future generations.
No worries mate, forgotten! Yeah I aint for gutted cats in general, only if someone has a buggered one and can't afford a newb. But I guess you can pick up a stockie pretty cheap anyway. I bought a high flow one myself when I used to have money (then I joined this forum! :togo: :hihi: ).
Old 06-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #51
josh_hartman
Banned

lol well jc i was going to post up pictures of my car and start my workshop thing but now i wont bother as you will report me. i like my cat converter how it is and wont be changing it because of your threats. May i ask do you ever go to the drags, speedway or anything like that? well if you do you should stop because your so concerned about breathing bad gases, infact why dont you just never fart again aswell. oh sorry over reaction a little. sound familiar?
josh_hartman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #52
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_hartman
lol well jc i was going to post up pictures of my car and start my workshop thing but now i wont bother as you will report me. i like my cat converter how it is and wont be changing it because of your threats. May i ask do you ever go to the drags, speedway or anything like that? well if you do you should stop because your so concerned about breathing bad gases, infact why dont you just never fart again aswell. oh sorry over reaction a little. sound familiar?
Karma is a strange and wonderful thing.

You can post pics of your car up - just edit the rego number out, like I do on every photo I post of mine.

So how does the car go with the new system anyway? Much difference? I think you'll find that if you spent the money (under $300 fitted) on a new high flow cat, you would not lose any power, and would once again be legal.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #53
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

back on topic please.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #54
josh_hartman
Banned

umm actually car did lose a bit down low i think and doesnt sound any better. i need an edit
josh_hartman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #55
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: @ JC's cat crusade. Bwhahaha
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #56
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_hartman
umm actually car did lose a bit down low i think and doesnt sound any better. i need an edit
Mine puffs black smoke on kickdown - I think I also need an edit. In the meantime I'll do an ECU reset and hope that it does something. Funnily enough, this is all since I replaced the cat, which just shows how the stock cat can be a restriction.

: @ Bucky in general!

Old 06-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #57
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Mine puffs black smoke on kickdown - I think I also need an edit. In the meantime I'll do an ECU reset and hope that it does something. Funnily enough, this is all since I replaced the cat, which just shows how the stock cat can be a restriction.

: @ Bucky in general!
The stock cat can be one hell of a restriction when the core breaks up into chunks just big enough to cluster around the exit and block it LOL.

I won't tell you what I did to the cat, suffice to say a new 3" metal-cored unit goes in day after tomorrow. Meantime the car has a hard-edged metallic exhaust note and surprisingly snappier performance. Will be interesting to see how much of that goodness is retained with the new cat.

It must've been broken up for a long time - the gas mixture is now out of whack & I'll have to have it retuned to stop it choking at 3000rpm...petrol is a different story though. I can now feel the slight step when the BBM switches over, used to be just a bit more noise and nothing more.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post