Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #31
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Yer I remember doing your bro's cyl head. that was at least 12 mths ago.
as you know I could have went more with your head but then you get into more machining costs and some times its worth it if your chasing out right power and your going to keep the car a long time to get the benefit from the cost involved ... some times its not if your going to get rid of the car in 1 or 2 years .... Your head was the good middle part.... not over the top but good value for money in power.
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #32
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

you should go into business trick_XD. Sounds like you have some great referrals and you know what your talking about. I may talk to you about giving the AU head of mine a clean up in future. ;)

My old man has a AU spare head he bought as a full recon, he had it on the car for about 1000km and took it off when his bottom end died for some unknown reason. I might buy it. Its nearly new. It might be a option to send you that head for some treatment when the time comes rather than rip the head off mine.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #33
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

Hey Trick i was wondering if you could PM your number if you dont mind.

Thanks Jake
Old 19-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #34
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check these guys out they have a very good reputation and build some trick stuff and they do 6cyl heads as well scoll down and you will find it... 300hp at the wheels they are quoting that with extra stuff as well of course...
http://www.kostecki.com.au/ford_cnc_heads.php

Last edited by waggaclint; 19-03-2008 at 09:10 PM.
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #35
trick_xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
you should go into business trick_XD. Sounds like you have some great referrals and you know what your talking about.

As a Hobby you can afford to do it cheaper then everyone else , all these shops in business need to make money and doing cyl heads will not get you a lot of money, it takes a lot of time and is a dirty job.
I am lucky that I have all the machines to do the job . and when I don't have my kids on the weekends then I don't mind doing cyl heads.

Hibbz ... PM sent
Old 20-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #36
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
As a Hobby you can afford to do it cheaper then everyone else , all these shops in business need to make money and doing cyl heads will not get you a lot of money, it takes a lot of time and is a dirty job.
I am lucky that I have all the machines to do the job . and when I don't have my kids on the weekends then I don't mind doing cyl heads.

Hibbz ... PM sent
Thats fair mate. In fact I retract my previous statement. lol. It would be better for us members to pay you cash on the side if its as cut throat as you say.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 21-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #37
trick_xd

LoL
Not a lot of people have access to just about everything they need .
and I am just lucky that I have .

Is head work the way to go ...... I think yes .... Is it expensive ... I think not really .. with the amount of other mods you would need to do just to match would exceed the 1K mark.
If I had my old hard drive I could post up pics of lots of different cylinder heads and different stages in work just so you can see how much work goes into just 1 head..

I use to do cyl heads for speedway cars and I have even done a motorbike head before .

What people really need to do before they just say "I want head work " is work out really want they want to do ... stay N/A or go Boosted .... mild ..... wild ...... petrol .... gas .... Everything you have ether now OR want to do later down the track will decide on what gets done to the cylinder head .. Next after that is price ..... Doing up a cylinder head is not cheap , at a shop you have to pay for there 50$ ph thats why a good cyl head compleat will set you back over 1K

I don't think I have ever herd of 1 person saying that there car was worse after getting head word done .
Old 21-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #38
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
LoL
Not a lot of people have access to just about everything they need .
and I am just lucky that I have .

Is head work the way to go ...... I think yes .... Is it expensive ... I think not really .. with the amount of other mods you would need to do just to match would exceed the 1K mark.
If I had my old hard drive I could post up pics of lots of different cylinder heads and different stages in work just so you can see how much work goes into just 1 head..

I use to do cyl heads for speedway cars and I have even done a motorbike head before .

What people really need to do before they just say "I want head work " is work out really want they want to do ... stay N/A or go Boosted .... mild ..... wild ...... petrol .... gas .... Everything you have ether now OR want to do later down the track will decide on what gets done to the cylinder head .. Next after that is price ..... Doing up a cylinder head is not cheap , at a shop you have to pay for there 50$ ph thats why a good cyl head compleat will set you back over 1K

I don't think I have ever herd of 1 person saying that there car was worse after getting head word done .
I have heard of a few people who have gone backwards from headwork.As me and Soxx have mentioned elsewhere.It is a tediuos ,dirty and time consuming job.For the work its not expensive but for a proper head rework /port you have to charge accordingly.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #39
blueoval
Critical Thinker

yeah thats fair enough. you also pay for what u get too.

doing research also helps when choosing someone to do your work.

I'd love to see your work trick_xd.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 21-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #40
trick_xd

There is pics on here some where of some of my work .

Joe will have a few as he wanted pics of his head

There is before and after pics of ports with a set of verniers measuring the port sizes
Old 21-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #41
stiddy
Banned

I think there are huge huge gains to be had with head cam and tune, its just hard to find someone that knows what they are doing with the I6 head, many people claim they do, but often you will find a drop in power.
Dont get me wrong, there are people out there that really know what they are doing, it just comes down to $$$$.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #42
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I'll back Stiddy on this. I had the head done but didn't get any noticeable or measurable gain at all. I made the mistake of getting it done whilst i didn't need the car on a business trip O/S. You need to carefully pick the guy to do the work and supervise it. A std reco head with an extra shave for more compression won't do zip. Asking for throating and detail work to be done with pictures etc didnt work for me because I didn't supervise the job. You need knowledge and patience both things you must pay for or you will waste your dough like I did.

the Kostecki heads are wonderful if you can afford to pay that much otherwise be careful. Anyone can do it its not hard to do just hard to get right. I used to do rotary engine bridgeporting to a pattern after I bought some bloody expensive housings from the US but you need to find someone who understands heads, flow and cams and can match them. Lot's of people will tell you they know how to do mit few can and those that can will charge and good on them.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #43
JoesAu

i have lost all the detailed pics you gave me, im sure i have a couple on my old comp, will check tonight and post up whatever i have.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #44
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
the Kostecki heads are wonderful if you can afford to pay that much otherwise be careful. Anyone can do it its not hard to do just hard to get right. I used to do rotary engine bridgeporting to a pattern after I bought some bloody expensive housings from the US but you need to find someone who understands heads, flow and cams and can match them. Lot's of people will tell you they know how to do mit few can and those that can will charge and good on them.
Kostecki is for sure they way to go and definately the way I will be heading when its time. Jonbays, you'd be the only person that I know of that aggrees with me about kostecki. Best heads on the market, garenteed gains and an over all powerhouse of a 6cylinder. Ive seen one of his head,cam and tuned motors produce 212rwkw with my own eyes.
Having been a rotor head, building 2 of my own (13b turbo ext mild port and 13b J-port) and helping many others, I know where your coming from. Its easy to work a head, anyone can do it. Its just hard, very hard to do it right.
Old 21-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #45
JoesAu

does this kostecki supply cams?
Old 21-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #46
stiddy
Banned

They do, but at $1100. More lift than a big block lol.
Old 21-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #47
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Ive seen kosteci claims but I am yet to see their results whatsoever.In giving benefit of the doubt..Stiddy where did you see this dyno run and has it been backed up with a timeslip maybe?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 21-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #48
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
They do, but at $1100. More lift than a big block lol.
lol righto, i have the pics uploading
Old 21-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #49
JoesAu

Ok after a headache from my old comp heres what i could find not much but trick xd might shed some light on the work?
Old 22-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #50
stiddy
Banned

Stav, the car is an EF Falcon, Pro Automotive put the car together, Kostecki head, kostecki cam, complete fuel system, full ehxaust and intake, aftermarket engine managment with custom tune, other odds and ends. Standard box and diff, complete street trim on pump fuel pulled 212rwkw and also ran a 13.4 and 13.6 at WSID. Cant remember mph from memory but it was up around 105 I think.
The guy that owns the car refuses to come on the forums, because he thinks forums are gay and full of sh....
Old 22-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #51
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Stav, the car is an EF Falcon, Pro Automotive put the car together, Kostecki head, kostecki cam, complete fuel system, full ehxaust and intake, aftermarket engine managment with custom tune, other odds and ends. Standard box and diff, complete street trim on pump fuel pulled 212rwkw and also ran a 13.4 and 13.6 at WSID. Cant remember mph from memory but it was up around 105 I think.
The guy that owns the car refuses to come on the forums, because he thinks forums are gay and full of sh....
For a car that weighs 1550kgs on ghia form I can see he has a 180kg advantage over the wagon and around 100kgs on a au or xr sedan. Sounds a bit arrogant to me.Maybe well just have to beat him with 141 rwkws

Old 23-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #52
trick_xd

But Stav
its the way you get that 141kw to the ground that counts

How did someone getting there head ported end up in them loosing power.
What was done , what sort of head was it , what mods done to the motor?
Old 23-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #53
stiddy
Banned

There was one of the guys on here, showed less power but more torque, and resulted in a slower ET over the 1/4.
There has been 2 I remember reading about on here that have lost power and run slower over the 1/4. Ive also helped a guy on here bolt on his new ported polished and worked head his car sounded totally different but no real noticeable improvements.
Old 23-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #54
Stav
Smile

Car was an i6 au . Went in and got headwork from a proffessional workshop with a different cam and pulled 129 rwkws once completed. The same car pulled 144 rwkws on the same dyno before headwork.

The owner then got a dev 5 cam into it himself and gained around 11 rwkws back to around 141 rwkws in auto form.Original cam was a dev 3hl.

So for the bigger cam you would think that the headwork should have shown some improvement. I am mates with the owner and I was just as dissapointed as he was.I felt for the bloke...:(

I wont say who it was so it stays dead n buried that way and it doesn't bite me on the butt.
Stiddy ...sometimes a tune to tie in that guys mods may have woken up the power gains..but who knows?

Old 23-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #55
JoesAu

the headwork made a noticable difference to my car, lot better torque, it revs heaps harder and the note of the car is mad. Key factors that i believe are holding me back are my extractors and the factory cam will go alot better when there sorted.

Its strange how hes power went down, sounds like they just hacked at the head and didnt know what they were doing
Old 23-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #56
stiddy
Banned

Stav I know who your talking about thats why I havnt mentioned any names either.

Like I said before, anyone can work a head, but finding someone that knows what they are doing is the challenge.