Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #31
Falcman0o7
Banned

Default Re: what is the dumest thing you have seen some one do to a engine

I also know of a lady who filled her radiator with petrol.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #32
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Knew a taxi bloke whose driver complained about the P/S being low, the guy was away and told the driver there is some fluid on the shelf at his house just fill it up and he (the owner) would fix it tomorrow when he got back.

The driver said OK, he knew what to do etc so went to boss's house and filled the P/S with....Fish Oil! Which was also on the shelf, he was a night driver and didn't want to turn on the lights etc at 2am and just got the first container he found.

Nice frothy mess to clean up the next morning...pump still worked through the night but the driver did complain about the smell.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #33
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know of a group of travellers who regularly urinated into the radiator. They couldn't afford to fix the radiator but they could afford the alcohol to create the golden liquid!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #34
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i saw a Toyota aurion with quad tips and extractors driving once lol. My immediate thoughts were to kill it with fire as it sounded bad. very bad.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #35
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6-FTW View Post
i saw a Toyota aurion with quad tips and extractors driving once lol. My immediate thoughts were to kill it with fire as it sounded bad. very bad.
Dont go giving Hulk any ideas.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #36
QIKESP

Going back a few years... I was filling my car up at the local servo and noticed an older lady had the bonnet up on a brand new Honda Euro. I had to look twice, but she had just filled the engine up with 4 ltrs of water from the servo watering can ?!
Since she was oblivious what was about to happen to the engine, I walked over and politely explained what she had just done and offered a recommendation that she not start the car and get it towed over to the dealership before any damage occured.
I was told she was going to call her husband and ask what to do....after I'd just explained it.
Anyhow, I'm paying for the fuel and watching out the shop window... off she drives in this brand new Honda with 4 ltrs of water in the engine.
I can only imagine the milkshake once down the road !
QIKESP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #37
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Back when i used to work at repco on a weekend, we had a bloke come in flustered to all buggery, he figured he'd be able to do a quick oil change on his recently purchased second hand bmw (cant remember what model), so he's undone the ''engine sump bolt" thinking he'd drained the engine oil...nope he drained the auto oil instead unknowingly.. it doesn't stop there, checking the engine oil dip stick once all this has gone on and still showing full he had a brain fart and figured ''well this must be wrong cause i've dumped the engine oil'' so he add 5 litres of engine oil to the engine.. all proud of his efforts he took the car for a round the block road test and things weren't right, car was blowing smoke and the gearbox was slamming into gears, making all sorts of noises, drives it 10 kilometers to our shop for advice to only be told he drove it with double the amount of engine oil and next to no gearbox oil, still laugh about it till this day
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #38
esppwr

A fair few years ago, one of the mechanics at my old work is servicing a Camry. He has removed the spark plugs and is going to the back of the workshop to get replacements. On his way he tells the new apprentice to fill the engine oil.

As he gets back to the car the apprentice has just finished putting 4l of oil thru a spark plug hole. The exhaust valve just happened to be open, so it filled the exhaust with oil.
Customer didn't get the car back for 3 days, but it did come with a free new exhaust system.
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #39
290v
290v

went outside and saw female fill her Mini engine with water she thought it was the radiator i told her don't start it the engine will have to be flushed now
Old 23-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #40
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An apprentice filled an engine with oil through the dipstick pipe. At least he got the level correct.
Missus dad wouldnt use coolant as he thought the radiator would freeze....
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #41
Stevefpv
Starter Motor

I've seen someone chain a rotary engine into a corona to keep it from jumping out
Lol didn't last to long
Stevefpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #42
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Bad, very bad. The primary purpose of an air filter is to filter dirt from the air entering an engine and they are about as bad as it gets. Usually easy to spot an engine using a Krap & Nasty from UOA (Used Oil Analysis) as the SI (dirt) figures are high. Add that to re-oiling which kills MAF's, poorly made, expensive, cost of filter oil, poor filtering, look like your grandmother made it in the kitchen, etc etc. Still marketing will always beat technical performance, sad but true.
Yea my oil analysis has shown me I have top soil in my engine and my intake pipes and line with dirt. And I oil it so much it kills my non existent MAF sensor.

But in all honesty I dont live down a dirt road or in a really dusty area anyway.

Last edited by 99AUXR; 23-09-2015 at 08:39 PM.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #43
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

popped diff

whipped rear cover off and bashed nuts, screws, bolts and whatever could find on the bench and jammed em in centre spinny bits

skiddy lols we had
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #44
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son-inlaw to be called me one night and said he had a problem with his VE ute. he had done an oil change and he was driving down the freeway and he had noticed 1. he could smell oil and 2. the gearbox(manual) felt "funny". I told him to pull over as he wasn't far from my home and I would come have a look. When I got there I could see oil dripping under the car and it smelt bad. he told me he thought it was strange that when he drained the oil there was only about a litre and it was really thick.

Anyone guessed what he did yet? yep he drained the gearbox and filled the engine up with the recommended 6 litre's of oil!!!!! so on the side of the road I had to drain 12 litre's of oil out and go get some gearbox oil to top it up. how the car survived without any damage is still a source of amazement to me.
Old 24-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #45
OLD BALDY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Filed down oversize pistons to fit a standard bore!!! (not me)
OLD BALDY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #46
cram_it_frog
wombat

The dummest thing you have seen done to a engine award goes to

filled the engine up with 4 ltrs of water from the servo watering can ?!:yelrotf lm

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #47
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I've made a few simple and dumb decisions in the past but my biggest and latest one was to buy a Toyota 2.5L V6 motor! Useless garbage. The other problem is that is still in a late model Toyota RWD sedan body!

Regret buying it. But choice here is limited.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #48
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram_it_frog View Post
The dummest thing you have seen done to a engine award goes to

filled the engine up with 4 ltrs of water from the servo watering can ?!:yelrotf lm
And to top it off, driving away after being warned not too.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #49
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

- Take a rasp file to a 302 cleveland to 'bore it out' - he then sanded the bores before hosing them out with water. The motor was put back together and refitted to his 4 door XC falcon and it actually ran. He sold it months later to another muppet who decided "it drove really well."
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #50
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not an Engine, but funny nonetheless.
True story. Mate had a old corolla, and he worked very close to ocean in Freo, so rust was becoming a problem.
Anyway, somebody (it might have been his dad) once told him that a good way to slow down rust, was to spray "fisholene" (treated fish-oil) inside your doors and guards.

So anyway, he's telling me he's done this but complaining about the stench, and asking if I know whether the smell will go away. I'm telling him that it shouldn't smell that bad, then the penny drops, he's not saying "fisholene" or even "fish oil" he's saying "fish emulsion" which is rotted fish guts you use as a liquid fertiliser. Sure enough he found it in the GARDENING section at Bunnings and sprayed it inside his doors with a spray-bottle.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #51
xpvanman

At an 18yo birthday party...

The guy walked up to his HQ, took the air cleaner off, started it up and while holding the throttle wide open he poured a schooner of beer down the carby...To this day nobody knows why he did it.

Dead lucky the 202 didn't hydraulic lock and throw a rod out the side !
xpvanman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #52
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A man named Peter Brock fitted an energy polariser to an engine and destroyed his credibility
Old 24-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #53
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BALDY View Post
Filed down oversize pistons to fit a standard bore!!! (not me)
Had a 60 thou oversize piston for an old 160 victa and decided to use it in a standard bore.
So began using the belt sander to shave it down to size to fit snugly and allow room for thermal expansion to take place, filed rings down to allow their expansion too.
Put it all back together and started it after a few pulls of the cord. Was a bit tight but ran really well. After a few lawns mowed, made a few funny noises but took no notice. Eventually, it suddenly died. Pulled out plug and immediately noticed a small chunk of metal fouling gap. On further inspection a lot more metal bits emerged, removed head and found top of piston and head to look like the surface of the moon.
Turned out the top ring blew, shattered to pieces, scoring bore, exhaust port shamfered, piston skirt gouged and the rest.

Anyway, cleaned it all up, put it back together and used it for another two years working fine until the old man bought a new Honda four stroke.
Still can't believe only the bottom ring could give such good compression even after the amount of damage. That engine was a freak.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #54
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Yea my oil analysis has shown me I have top soil in my engine and my intake pipes and line with dirt. And I oil it so much it kills my non existent MAF sensor.

But in all honesty I dont live down a dirt road or in a really dusty area anyway.

You don't have too! I weouldn't use a Krap & Nasty on my whipper snipper let alone something I cared about.............
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #55
Struggo

I once thought about placing a device on my car that would provide false emissions readings but VW beat me to it.

Slightly on topic, I was working on my VL Commodore many moons ago whilst it was running, not concentrating I placed my hand on the distributor, man what shock!
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #56
OCTANEBOSS

A drunk apprentice trying to refuel a turbo charged engine on a stand at a Christmas party while it was piping hot..... burns to 70% of his body... still alive as far as I know... the traditional rev it till blows motor was yearly ritual until this happened... work cover love that kind of sh** eh. Not a very merry Christmas for those concerned.
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #57
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

My son had a semi-permanent loan of his grandfather's POFS Hyundai Excel.

It used to burn a bit of oil so he used to top it up fairly frequently. One day he rang me from the side of the Calder Freeway near Sunbury saying the car was not running well and could I come and pick him up.

When I got there the car started fine, but when I did a test drive blew a shipload of smoke out of the exhaust. However after about 2-3 minutes it stopped and was happy enough to go all the way home (well as happy as an Excel got anyway).

I fear too much 'topping up' and the slope uphill past Sunbury the oil was getting out and into somewhere it shouldn't have been. Would have been good on convoy patrol in WWII, it laid an excellent smoke screen...

When I was much much younger I somehow locked myself out of my car in Barkly Square Shopping Centre car park in Brunswick with the bonnet up and the engine running. Decided that I didn't want the leave the car running while I found a coat hanger so I pulled the high-tension lead out of the coil, hence giving myself the equivalent of a good going over by an electric fence. In hindsight there would have been better ways of achieving the same end but it seemed like a good idea at the time (but not afterwards, and never again).
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #58
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
You don't have too! I weouldn't use a Krap & Nasty on my whipper snipper let alone something I cared about.............
Obviously got a gripe with K&N lots on here use them with no problems so start another thread and we will all have our say .
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #59
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
Obviously got a gripe with K&N lots on here use them with no problems so start another thread and we will all have our say .
GT450
Great idea!
Now what was the topic again?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #60
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
Great idea!