Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #31
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
He comes from a mythical place where rich uncles drive italian sports cars while running a taxi empire, guarding the enchanted library of Motor Magazine periodicals from the great barbarian horde. He visits our world once a day, and sometimes get stuck.

Back through the effing wardrobe mister tumnas! Back to Motoria!

To know all that stuff is very twisted of you

LMFAO

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #32
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah no offense to steffo here but you seem to be a bit on the fruity side, you sound to me like most girls sound like when they're having an argument - making up things and always jumping to the wrong conclusion, then going on to mock other people. Firstly you call it borderline retarded to compare different cars from different eras, then go on to compare the 80's vette to a current hennesy viper? wtf? then you try tell us the ACR is just a competitor to the ZR-1, but for ages dodge has made models above the standard viper. Just since it comes out now doesnt mean it aimed at the ZR-1. Then you try make it sound I'm trying to impress you? Mate i dont try impress fellow forum members i dont even know the name of, just showing you what the viper is capable of and how a tuner has made one to perform much better than standard. Then you go on to say a certain car has no handling cababilties when you have absolutely no proof whatso ever, thats like me saying the 2009 corvette will brake like crap. Then on top of that you go on making me sound like I want a million different models compared? I think thats a product of your own thinking there. Then on top of all that, going on and on like you know every tiny detail and have so much smarts try tell me a car with 200HP more than another isnt the best because it only has a 1MP top speed? FYI at them speeds you need plenty of power to get a few MPH out of the car, its alot different going from 255-256 then 55-56MPH. Aerodynamics plays a huge part and after 20 years I'm sure the Viper produces a lot more downforce than the sledgehammer. Why do you think F1 cars with all that power and little weight can't crack 400Kays? Too much downforce.

Long story short, there have been no epic failures here, I have proven lots of things which you seem too stubborn to understand, and I have made perfect sense which you seem to try be making me sound like I havnt, and sorry to upset you and the love affair you have with the corvette. I think its time we both stop this and let it be
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 01:43 AM   #33
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Firstly you call it borderline retarded to compare different cars from different eras, then go on to compare the 80's vette to a current hennesy viper? wtf?
There was a point. You were raving on about how good that Hennessey Viper was because it could do 255mph. The fact that a 19 year old car with older technology can get within 1 mph of it with 120hp less power and 328ftlbs less torque shows just how good it isn't in comparison. Obviously even that, old, Corvette is aerodynamically superior to the new Viper if it can do similar things on less power.

Quote:
then you try tell us the ACR is just a competitor to the ZR-1, but for ages dodge has made models above the standard viper. Just since it comes out now doesnt mean it aimed at the ZR-1.
The new ACR Viper is aimed at the ZR-1. Car manufacturers in direct competition with one and other don't release new, faster variants at the same time as the other is just by coincidence.

Quote:
Then you go on to say a certain car has no handling cababilties when you have absolutely no proof whatso ever, thats like me saying the 2009 corvette will brake like crap.
So dozens of consistantly slower lap times on various circuits around the globe does not prove beyond reasonable doubt that the Viper SRT-10 was inferior to the C6 Z06? I see. What do you consider proof then?

Quote:
Then on top of that you go on making me sound like I want a million different models compared? I think thats a product of your own thinking there.
You tried to backpedal into saying the Viper SRT-10 was a C6 Corvette Z51 competitor (it wasn't, never was, never will be) and that the C6 Z06 should compare to a fabled Viper GTS-R, which was an 8.0 V10 production car in 1999 that's slower then a C6 Z06 and was a 500hp 8.0 V10 concept car in 2002 that lead to the production of the 500hp 8.3 V10 SRT-10. So don't try to spin it around on me. You backed out of comparing the SRT-10 to the Z06 when it was proven inferior.

Quote:
Then on top of all that, going on and on like you know every tiny detail and have so much smarts try tell me a car with 200HP more than another isnt the best because it only has a 1MP top speed? FYI at them speeds you need plenty of power to get a few MPH out of the car, its alot different going from 255-256 then 55-56MPH. Aerodynamics plays a huge part and after 20 years I'm sure the Viper produces a lot more downforce than the sledgehammer. Why do you think F1 cars with all that power and little weight can't crack 400Kays? Too much downforce.
Yes I am well aware of the aerodynamics involved in chasing maximum speeds. But your own argument backfires on you there and just gives the Corvette that little bit more superiority over its Dodge competitor. Since a 19 year old car with less power can do virtually the same speed (254.76mph) as a current car with more power... that would then make said 19 year old car aerodynamically superior to the new car it is being compared to. Points go Corvette's way.

Quote:
Long story short, there have been no epic failures here, I have proven lots of things which you seem too stubborn to understand, and I have made perfect sense which you seem to try be making me sound like I havnt, and sorry to upset you and the love affair you have with the corvette. I think its time we both stop this and let it be
Love affair I have with the Corvette? : :

If you think that I have some sort of love affair with the Corvette then you're sadly mistaken. I am one of the biggest anti-Corvette proponents around. In several threads on this forum alone I have many times over argued its inferiority over the Ford GT, 911 Turbo, F430 and Gallardo. I loathe the car.

However I do have a love affair with fact. And fact is, the Z06 is superior to the 2003-2006 SRT-10 in almost every possible way.

What's really interesting is that this whole conversation started over the "point," and/or "orientation," if you will, of the new ZR-1.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #34
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

:

Daniel
Old 31-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #35
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Poor Jan Magnussen they must be strapping him down with wet packs and leaving him in a dark room listening to whale songs at the moment. The poor bastard had to best the performance of the old Porsche 911 GT3 (and just about killed himself to do it), now he might have to go out there again and improve on that performance again and match the credible time of the exotics. Hopefully the suspension and steering are a bit better sorted as well as more grunt.

Road & Track said that the 70’s/80’s Corvette’s were broadswords of cars when they would prefer a rapier, i.e. They’d rather have balance and handling than sledgehammer torque and straight line grunt being the be all and end all. The Corvette has been improving and improving over the years. In the 70’s they had the chance to do other formats (mid-engined, V6 or rotary power) but now it is enshrined that a Corvette must be a V8. The old ZR-1 was a bit of a compromise (not a Lotus fresh sheet design, it’s bore stroke ratio was too narrow). For better or for worse the Corvette has been in continuous production since the 50’s (yes, 10 or so were produced in 1983) and is rightly regarded as America’s sports car.

The Viper was originally developed as a showcase that showed what the company was capable of (sounds like a Ford GT) – aluminium truck engine in a cobra-clone body. It too was developed over the years (Team Orca Le Mans GTS-R’s) and the latest versions (McLaren and ACR’s) are very welcome additions. Chrysler were nervous enough about the Corvette to start on the Firepower V8-powered “Corvette beater”. I don’t think that will eventuate with the Chrysler groups latest financial difficulties, although the CEO intimated somewhere that 800 bhp in a Viper would be desirable so the next version of the Viper should again be worth waiting for.

Although I don’t luurrrvvvve the way the Yanks have the biggest, gruntiest engines I do respect their capabilities and do like the ways that they have continually tried to improve the track performance (especially the lengths they went to with the Z06).
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #36
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my god he's still going on..... i could go on to next new years eve but hey there's more to life than arguing about cars.... so what do you want to hear? The viper is crap and the corvette is alot better? sorry but I will always believe the viper is a better car any time of the day and no forum member who obviously hates to be wrong and has to the have the last word will change that, go and have some fun, go enjoy yourself theres alot of better things to do than arguing over the net......
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
He comes from a mythical place where rich uncles drive italian sports cars while running a taxi empire, guarding the enchanted library of Motor Magazine periodicals from the great barbarian horde. He visits our world once a day, and sometimes get stuck.

Back through the effing wardrobe mister tumnas! Back to Motoria!

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #38
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
my god he's still going on..... i could go on to next new years eve but hey there's more to life than arguing about cars.... so what do you want to hear? The viper is crap and the corvette is alot better? sorry but I will always believe the viper is a better car any time of the day and no forum member who obviously hates to be wrong and has to the have the last word will change that, go and have some fun, go enjoy yourself theres alot of better things to do than arguing over the net......
Threre has to be reasons why you think its better though.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #39
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Threre has to be reasons why you think its better though.
Dodge Brochure is more glossy than chevrolets effort.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 02:45 AM   #40
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Dodge brothers hung out with Henry Ford , making Dodge closer to Ford maybe?

Both cars are sweet rides.
At least the Yanks are having a go.

Last edited by MethodX; 02-01-2008 at 02:51 AM.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #41
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

A few specs and pictures of the LS9 engine from the ZR1.

Don't worry, I was looking at a F.A.S.T. air/fuel logger and could'nt help but open up the link

2009 LS9

620+ HP/595+ FT-LBS
6.2L, 319-T5 aluminum block
103.25mm (4.06-inch) bore x 92mm (3.62-inch) stroke
forged steel crank
titanium rods
9.1:1 forged aluminum pistons with oil-spray cooling
356-T6 aluminum heads
titanium 55mm (2.16-inch) intake and hollow-stem, sodium-filled 40.4mm (1.59-inch) exhaust valves
Offset-rocker valvetrain layout
2.3L supercharger pushing 10.5psi boost
100HP/Liter target

Complete engine

See through view

Blower and Manifold

Exploded Engine View 'ala' Boss 290

Great shots of our greatest rival, and they called the 03/04 Cobra engine "Terminator", Sheesh!!!!

Daniel
Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #42
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

That is one bad motor!!! And I'm glad Chev are kicking a bit of dirt in Ford's... no, wait... every other Supercar manufacturer's face... it'll only prompt Ford to work a bit harder!
Chev have a blown 6.2 but rumour has it Ford may have a twin turbo (Bluehoon will wet his pants if this happens :P) 6.2 in the pipeline... anyone got more info or read anything on this???
Thanks for the pics/specs Daniel.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #43
McobraR
me may my mo

thats what i hate, the new Ford V8's are just that, rumours, Fords killing me (and im sure others) about their new V8. The 5.8 and 6.2 numbers are just from what others have said, doesnt sound that convincing to me.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #44
theunfairadvant

Why don't Ford use it's current 8 cylinder with 4 valves per cylinder
as found in the Ford GT and install a Twin Turbo in it and it will kick
a lot of cars ar se, like it does in the F6.

F6 Single Turbo
F8 Twin Turbo

If Ford were to do that even the current HSV V8 are no match
not even the current Covette engine can even catch up with the Ford .
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #45
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant
Why don't Ford use it's current 8 cylinder with 4 valves per cylinder
as found in the Ford GT and install a Twin Turbo in it and it will kick
a lot of cars ar se, like it does in the F6.

F6 Single Turbo
F8 Twin Turbo

If Ford were to do that even the current HSV V8 are no match
not even the current Covette engine can even catch up with the Ford .
Dont think thats gonna happen. They would only have until June to have it Euro 4 compliant. They are not gonna spend millions on devoloping a motor that will be dead in a few years. Besides, if FPV did that, you dont think HSV will release something even bigger.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #46
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
thats what i hate, the new Ford V8's are just that, rumours, Fords killing me (and im sure others) about their new V8. The 5.8 and 6.2 numbers are just from what others have said, doesnt sound that convincing to me.
Its well known the Boss 5.8-7.0 (formely known as Hurricane) is in the pipeline and is a certainty, due in 2009/2010... but I was questioning whether there will be Twinforce 6.2L as well.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Its well known the Boss 5.8-7.0 (formely known as Hurricane) is in the pipeline and is a certainty, due in 2009/2010... but I was questioning whether there will be Twinforce 6.2L as well.
Twinforce V8's will debut in either 2010 or 11 in the Mustang. There may also be high torque versions for the F series super duty trucks. With fuel economy being so important now I think the twin force V8's will be a certainty, as they produce a shed load of power and torque but when driven normally will provide the fuel economy of a V6, especially when its used in conjunction with direct injection like its rumoured to be.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #48
Aulpgute

Hmmm, oil spray cooled pistons. I remember that technology debuting in 1987 on the first Suzuki GSXR 750. Worked for years for them until they finally relented to watercooling like the others. Surprized more automotive engines dont use it.
Aulpgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post