Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #31
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you got another job so move on, if he saked you for beign a smoker he was obviasly jsut looking for a reason and you should be proud of your self that he had to scrape the bottom of that barrel that hard for an excuess but my only question is if you never smoked at work and durin work hours how did he find out, as thats the eqivilent of sakign some on for having a beer after work, its not effecting work place safety or productivity theres no grounds for dismissal. But as I said, jsut build a bridge and get over it you'll be better off in the long run

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #32
Duke
The Duke

Geeze Louise! Sacked for smoking when you don't even do it at work?
Good God girl, based on that line of thinking he could sack you for having sex. I'm sure you're not allowed to have sex in the food prep area either but you do that at home (I'm assuming of course, maybe you are allowed to have sex in the food prep area, what would I know).

Whilst I do believe you have every right to make life difficult for this moron, I wouldn't advise taking legal action if you're not feeling up to the stress of the fight yourself. Save your energy for other, more positive, things. Great satisfaction can come from watching a fool like that squirm under the threat of legal action, maybe have some fun with that.

But, if you're up for a good old fashioned donnybrook, then take the gloves off and sue to your hearts content.

By the way, if you ARE allowed to have sex at your old work, ... address please
Old 06-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #33
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Geeze Louise! Sacked for smoking when you don't even do it at work?
Good God girl, based on that line of thinking he could sack you for having sex. I'm sure you're not allowed to have sex in the food prep area either but you do that at home (I'm assuming of course, maybe you are allowed to have sex in the food prep area, what would I know).

Whilst I do believe you have every right to make life difficult for this moron, I wouldn't advise taking legal action if you're not feeling up to the stress of the fight yourself. Save your energy for other, more positive, things. Great satisfaction can come from watching a fool like that squirm under the threat of legal action, maybe have some fun with that.

But, if you're up for a good old fashioned donnybrook, then take the gloves off and sue to your hearts content.

By the way, if you ARE allowed to have sex at your old work, ... address please
HaHaHa....That is gold Duke!! Ummm... NO!...pretty sure you are not allowed to have sex in the food prep area...and YES I do have it outside work hours...not always at home though....ok...too much information.

Thanks for the laugh!! :
Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #34
ABoringUsername

Now that you are not working for him, be sure to loiter around his buisiness and blow smoke at all potential customers as they enter and leave.
ABoringUsername is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #35
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

An oldie but a goodie

mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #36
StorminaTcup

Sorry to hear you were sacked, but glad to hear you already have new employment.
I agree with Duke, it is very stressfull to battle. Mainly due to they will make up lies and sometimes even false paperwork as proof of previous warnings. I know this first hand. Good luck with whatever you decide.
StorminaTcup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I smoke all the time when at work. So long as the work is done my boss doesn't give a crap. I also come in early and leave late without pay and never have a lunch break.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #38
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
An oldie but a goodie

Thats it.... i'm taking up smoking :
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #39
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

No need, it doesn't say "blow smoke in her face..."

Edit: getting back on topic, I also work in a food (actually beverage) factory and smoking is allowed in the designated areas. I'd say unfair dismissal based on what you've said.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #40
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Does anyone know the legal stand point on this issue??

:
I'd say he's screwed. If he told you straight out it was because you smoke [on your own time] then he just broke a cardinal rule of EEO.

Are you on a work agreement?
Is being a non-smoker stipulated in your work agreement?

Even if conditions of employment state no smoking during business hours, he must prove you did (the fact that you didn't makes that impossible).
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #41
MarkAW

Quote:
No warning....not in the Union...being General Manager...was not part of the union...wish I was now!!
Have I got this right that you were a "General Manager" ie one step below the CEO (Chief Executive Officer or Managing Director) and CFO (Chief Financial Officer)?

If this is the case then you be employed under a contract and your dismissal would be a simple breach of contract. If you are on a contractual employment, it won't matter what you were sacked for, its still a breach of contract - the reasons are irrelevant.

As for the dismissal, do you have any evidence (written or observed by independant parties) that this dismissal was actually a result of your habit or will it be classified as heresay evidence?

If its heresay then you have jack's for getting any satisfaction.

Last edited by MarkAW; 06-02-2008 at 03:22 PM.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #42
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW
Have I got this right that you were a "General Manager" ie one step below the CEO (Chief Executive Officer or Managing Director) and CFO (Chief Financial Officer)?

If this is the case then you be employed under a contract and your dismissal would be a simple breach of contract. If you are on a contractual employment, it won't matter what you were sacked for, its still a breach of contract - the reasons are irrelevant.

As for the dismissal, do you have any evidence (written or observed by independant parties) that this dismissal was actually a result of your habit or will it be classified as heresay evidence?

If its heresay then you have jack's for getting any satisfaction.
You are correct. I have it in writing and I all I want is to be paid out which is going to happen.

This guy is a jerk! I dont want that job back. He is honestly living in the 1950's and shows none of his staff any respect. Most of them stayed there as long as they have because of me. 2 handed in their resignations today.

That will teach him!! I don't want revenge....I just want my payout!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #43
phoon
BOLLOCKS

I will send this guy around to fix him up for you.

phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #44
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoon

FAR OUT DUDE THAT IS SO
HE IS AWESOME
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #45
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bahahaha classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoon

Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #46
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Three posts in a row all with the same pic. Whats with you people :

Anyways. How is being a smoker in the food prep industry any different to teenagers working in Maccas, squeezing zits and scratchin their ***** all the time?
Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #47
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's just too good not to repeat.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #48
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

As said im my PM to you yesterday Colleen, im very sorry to hear about this situation. Well done on getting another job so soon but. Take this clown to the cleaners, hit him with all you can. All the best matey.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #49
flukey
Irregular Member

we are talking only tobacco here yeah?!
it's all a bit hard to believe, based on what you've said you have a strong case. You don't want the job back, take the payout, move on put it down to experience. You'll be better off.
flukey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #50
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgEA
As said im my PM to you yesterday Colleen, im very sorry to hear about this situation. Well done on getting another job so soon but. Take this clown to the cleaners, hit him with all you can. All the best matey.
Thanks Ads. See you in Geelong at AFD! :
Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #51
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've lost me a bit, so you were the GM at this joint, but you got the flick because your not allowed to smoke in the food preperation area? Is this like a 2 man operation or something, cause I'm guessing it would have to be if you as the "GM" were in the food prep area. Ontop of this all, you don't smoke before or after work hours, yet you get sacked because you smoke.
I'll take a wild punt and asume there are a few chunks taken out of this story.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #52
MarkAW

Being a "contractual employee", this would become a civil courts matter and outside the realms of the industrial commission (or whatever they have in Vic) and as said before its just a simple breach of contract to which you should be entitled to claim damages.

You will need to readup on the termination of services clauses within the contract, as he may well be within his right to "do as he pleases" - what ever is in the contract.

In the end your going to need a solicitor and take him and his company to court. Just be aware that what he owes you may in fact be less than the costs to proceed and in the end not worth the effort.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #53
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
You've lost me a bit, so you were the GM at this joint, but you got the flick because your not allowed to smoke in the food preperation area? Is this like a 2 man operation or something, cause I'm guessing it would have to be if you as the "GM" were in the food prep area. Ontop of this all, you don't smoke before or after work hours, yet you get sacked because you smoke.
I'll take a wild punt and asume there are a few chunks taken out of this story.
I think you have misunderstood. I said it was in the food industry. The company does have a food prep area, and there is definately NO SMOKING in the factory. I think that one is a given although there are no signs anywhere indicating such but it is common sense.

As the GM I was in and out of the factory checking production schedules, stock, etc..The boss decided that as it was a food industry that he did not want any of his employees to smoke...PERIOD! Now, that is not a bad thing only he never told anyone until yesterday and he has never made anyone sign a work place agreement or an employment contract.

They are HACCP certified and the boss was concerned that this would effect the next audit.

Small company yes. 13 employees - after today - make that 11.

I never smoked onsite, outside the gates, anywhere on the same road as the company...basically not smoking until after work or on the weekend. He only found out I smoked because I had a guy from work come to my house for a BBQ and he told the boss.

Next thing I know I am being asked to leave immediately and he handed me a letter of termination stating it was because I am a smoker.

I have been thinking about this and yes I know I can definately take this futher as it is definately unfair dismissal..but it is not worth the stress.

I am just looking forward to my new job! : Modern office and friendly as all heck people who are living in the present!!

I think that explains it all now....DAMN I NEED A :
Old 07-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #54
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

nah i say sock it to him i am sick to death of hearing about bosses sacking staff what gives him the right to say what you do with your own time as you have stated you did not smoke at work or any where near his premises and to be sacked because some ahole that you had to your place for a barbie well whats up with that give him both barrels and seek some legal advice i would also have a go at the so and so work collegue as well any how best of luck with it i hope you get some justice
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #55
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you have misunderstood. I said it was in the food industry. The company does have a food prep area, and there is definately NO SMOKING in the factory. I think that one is a given although there are no signs anywhere indicating such but it is common sense.

As the GM I was in and out of the factory checking production schedules, stock, etc..The boss decided that as it was a food industry that he did not want any of his employees to smoke...PERIOD! Now, that is not a bad thing only he never told anyone until yesterday and he has never made anyone sign a work place agreement or an employment contract.

They are HACCP certified and the boss was concerned that this would effect the next audit.

I never smoked onsite, outside the gates, anywhere on the same road as the company...basically not smoking until after work or on the weekend. He only found out I smoked because I had a guy from work come to my house for a BBQ and he told the boss.

Next thing I know I am being asked to leave immediately and he handed me a letter of termination stating it was because I am a smoker.

I have been thinking about this and yes I know I can definately take this futher as it is definately unfair dismissal..but it is not worth the stress.

I am just looking forward to my new job! : Modern office and friendly as all heck people who are living in the present!!

"OOPS" well there you have it , if as you say you never smoked on the grounds then sue , go find a lawyer and explain what happened with the letter of termination , your gonna be quite well off .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #56
strike

Quote:

Hey Louise you need to take this guy to the cleaners. I understand what you mean buy "you dont want the stress", but it is for this reason that nothing ever happens to these people and what has happened to you keeps happening. Sometime KARMA needs a little push. LOL I am sure that you have the support of everyone on this forum, and if it comes down to a good old fashioned lynching then so be it to get some justice. HA HA (only joking about that last bit)
strike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #57
winkle

Hi Louise.

I have read this thread with interest, as I've had to change jobs a couple of times in the last few years. If you don't need the stress of chasing him in court, I'd simply try to put the wind up him. After you have received your entitlements (all accrued leave, pay in lieu of notice etc, whatever are the standard, accepted practices) and only after, write to him to say that you intend to pursue the matter for unfair dismissal. Make no mention of how you are going to do this, and do not ask for hush money or anything. Then speak to a solicitor and have them write a letter to him outlining the fact that he has broken this law and this law in direct contravention of this act and this act. The solicitors letter should ask for a response from him. It might cost you $200 for a local solicitor to do this. It cost me $55 for a solicitor to peruse my employment contract and make some suggestions over the phone.

As the owner of a small business, he almost certainly will wet himself (I did use another word here, but it was automatically deleted) when he receives this letter. If he is smart, he will possibly make another offer to make the matter go away. Even if you receive nothing, you can take comfort that you have scared him witless, taught him a lesson, and brought him up to speed on what he can and can't do.

Make sure you are paid for not receiving any notice - this should be two weeks pay, and will cover the cost of the lawyer easily.

Having said all that, you seem to have a pretty strong case worth pursuing, but I you can't be bothered with the stress, time and money involved, the above is a pretty good alternative.

Best of luck with your new job and your condition.

Cheers
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #58
Geez Louise
Awesome

Hiya!

Just to clear things up...my name is Colleen but Louise will do!!!

I am surprised he didn't get me for all the times I came to work hungover!!!

He isn't worth the energy. He sent me an email today stating my entitlements will be paid today and final pay advice sent. Once I get that...and only after I get that, I may just get a friend of mine that is a lawyer to send him a letter....but I don't know if I can really be bothered!

Let the sad little man live his sad little life.

Colleen
Old 07-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #59
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

And what happens when the next employee to get fired is a 20 year old single mum working her a55 off the get by? She gets fired for the same reason because the boss thinks he can get away with it? If you don't do something about it he will not stop, infact he could get worse.

Not everyone has the same luxury as you to not worry about being fired!

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #60
scoupedy

Johneys gone but his hang over will remain for some years yet
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post