Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #31
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
do people really believe that cousins is the only drug suspect in the afl?? cousins admitted he had an issue but don't forget, he never failed a drug test, something others in the afl have done and yet 2nd and 3rd chances are handed out regularly. because they aren't high profile players not much gets reported.
there were a few players last year, from a particularly successful 08 side who did test positive fro drugs and were given warnings more than once but it was stopped being leaked out. The story was backed up by someone who witnessed them buying some pills at a pub, not of the chemist bought variety
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #32
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
least now its finally over

Don't be to sure. I know personally that he is still on the stuff as a few of my friends have gotten on the gear with him in perth.

Brillant footballer and i wish him the best with richmond. Hope he can play some great footy next year.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #33
1970galaxie
Fat 460

I'm a WCE supporter, but I'll now be kind of supporting Richmond too, just to follow on how he is going.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #34
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

In no way am I Richmond fan nor a Cousins fan.... But, good on Richmond for giving him a second chance, and I hope Cousins can end his career on a high note (no pun intended), rather than being kicked out for postive testing.
Everyone deserves a second chance, he aditted his problem, he never tested positive as opposed to other roumered players which has been kept very quiet and with no ramafications like Cousins has had.
Do you think Cousins is the only football player, let alone sports star to take illegal drugs ????

noosacuda; who cares if the PM only gets 330k per year..... he also gets free rent, no power bills, phone bills, rates, chaufered everywhere, all expenses paid trips to all over the world, then a life time pension. To be honest, I doubt if he would need to pay for a single thing !!! Maybe, if he wanted to get paid more, he should have paid more attention in PE at school.

Rob; When has anyone said that "drugs are ok, as long as you're good at footy" They guys has to be tested upto 3 times a week !!! I dare say, if any one of those tests are found to be positive he will be out on his a&$e real quick.

SgtBourne; Steroids is different. Ice and coke are hardly performancing enhancing drugs.......

TUF_302; How is this setting the wrong example for our kids ??? Has Cousins been put up on some pedestal of "what to do when you get older" for this ?? Is he the new bench mark for kids to be ??

:

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #35
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaxr8
Don't be to sure. I know personally that he is still on the stuff as a few of my friends have gotten on the gear with him in perth.

Brillant footballer and i wish him the best with richmond. Hope he can play some great footy next year.
I'm finding what you're saying pretty hard to believe.

And if true, he'll get caught pretty quick, masking agents only do so much.
Old 16-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #36
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I'm finding what you're saying pretty hard to believe.

And if true, he'll get caught pretty quick, masking agents only do so much.
and olympic sprinters are all natural too...............

textbook case of anabolic steroid use going on with Cousins

Last edited by gcg2503; 16-12-2008 at 10:33 PM.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #37
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Backing the guy 100%, I'll be supporting both sides next year.

Anyone who thinks Cuz was a Robinson Crusoe impersonator (ie: the only one doing it) has a higher statistical chance of being on drugs than Ben at this point in time.

The league, in fact all codes of sport worldwide, have drug and alcohol issues at some level, that are either not being addressed, or have been addressed at the expense of an indivdual or team.

The AFL's fall guy just happened to be West Coast's Ben Cousins.

If you ask me, the club has just as much responsibility on this issue as does the individual. When it got "too big" "too quick" for them, they threw him to the lions and pretended it was crisis averted.

The good time mentality at WCE was not the result of one player alone.

Go Tiges!

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #38
seduced_xr
BF XR6

i hate the guy with a passion. but i can understand every1 deserves a second chance. but i dont think he will stay clean
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #39
IDT
Marko

Everyone keeps saying second chance? The guy had heaps of chances before the Eagles and The AFL were forced to act. It wasn't the drugs nor was it the people he hung around that got him dumped. It was the arrogance that the guy has shown time and time again.

Now his overall marketability is based on the curiosity factor, people will get bored soon enough. Give it a month or two into the new season and his bleating will commence "WOE is me" Wayne Carey anyone?
Old 17-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #40
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Most kids grow up wanting to be one of two things, a sports star or a rock star.i find it funny that when sports stars are found to have used drugs its a terrible thing and they are bad role models, yet no one ever talks about the famous rock stars/musicians out there who are constantly on the stuff.

and i dont mean ugly Winehouse, i mean people like Keith Richards and Steven Tyler. Are they deemed as role models for our children? Hell Yes! have they taken copious amounts of drugs in their life? Hell Yes. Do we still buy their albums? Hell Yes.
Old 17-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #41
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^Agreed mate the guy has had many chances, the thing that really gets under my skin is the people who say he deserves a second chance. pigs A S S, the only difference between him and the Drugie on the street is the AFL and sponsors pay for his habit, the guy on the street just robs ya directly.

Proberbly got more to do with and how the AFL conducts drug test's. do it the way they run it on the mines, Nab ya first thing in the morning P I S S in that Blow in this.
Old 17-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #42
The Monty
Just slidin'

He should be banned from the sport for life. Any drug addict, bottom feeder is not good enough for todays society. He is one of the lowest forms of human life available, why should he be made a martyr of?
Old 17-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #43
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
So the message is clear - drugs are OK, as long as you're good at footy.
too right, between ours and the USA's sporting and television stars anythings ok as long as your famous,
its a great lesson our children are getting
oh i nearly forgot,the other couple of players who were bashing and in one case ,glassing there Girlfriends with no Jail time.
i believe giving someone another chance depending on severity of crime,but only when they show genuine remorse,Ben has never shown that,and has done things besides taking drugs that show him to be just a thug

Last edited by OLDFORDNUT; 17-12-2008 at 07:19 AM.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #44
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
prydey, my gripe is how he just smirked about it, "yeah i took drugs" "ok ill go to rehab as long as someone else pays" (then expecting AFL to pay for it, wtf?)

then just assumes he gets to play footy again, complete BS.

you even sniff a steriod in athletics and your balls go on the bansaw!
Consider this, Ben has never tested positive, he has never been charged and convicted (police dropped charges), meanwhile there are six players that have all tested positive twice -that are still playing without being officially named. Including a big name forward that won a premiership recently.

Bens biggest mistake other than getting involved in drugs in the first place was admitting to it.

Good on you Ben and Thank god for Richmond for getting this player back on the paddock.

Ice can hardly be seen as a performance inhancer so compairing it to steroids in athletics doesn't really work

There is so much missinformation out there, i had a lady telling me that he was busted with EPO in his system and this is total BS.

Go the Tigers Im a WCE fan (obvouisly) but will get a Tigers membership this year.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #45
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Everyone keeps saying second chance? The guy had heaps of chances before the Eagles and The AFL were forced to act. It wasn't the drugs nor was it the people he hung around that got him dumped. It was the arrogance that the guy has shown time and time again.

Now his overall marketability is based on the curiosity factor, people will get bored soon enough. Give it a month or two into the new season and his bleating will commence "WOE is me" Wayne Carey anyone?
He has never tested postive!!!!!! there are players that have tested postive twice when did he have the second chance?
Old 17-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #46
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
He has never tested postive!!!!!! there are players that have tested postive twice when did he have the second chance?
He has overdosed enough times not to need a positive sample. Joey Johns went his whole career without a positive sample (taken by the NRL).

The fact remains Cousins told us he was going to the US for rehab and whoops-a-daisy had a 3 day coke bender with a blonde bimbo.
Old 17-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #47
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
He has overdosed enough times not to need a positive sample. Joey Johns went his whole career without a positive sample (taken by the NRL).

The fact remains Cousins told us he was going to the US for rehab and whoops-a-daisy had a 3 day coke bender with a blonde bimbo.
Arh so what? we are talking about a football player not a saint, I don't care what he does in his own time he could snort camel sh#t and inject hookers spit for all i care.

He has never done anything on the football ground to disgrace the game unlike Barry Hall, Plugger (decking people)

Why do we put these guys up on pedistall and expect them to act like little angels?
When i was playing footy the best players were the local thugs.
We don't drug test lawyers, politicians, accountants, most engineers and these are the people who can affect our lives in a real way.
Old 17-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #48
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
I dont think he should be aloud to play ever again!, its setting the wrong example for young kids!
I disagree, if he can make a success of it, what a great story it becomes.

There is always an element of, "he took drugs, it is his fault" but I doubt it is that simple.

Good luck to him and good luck to the Tiges, I hope (with Sheedy as his mentor and Sheedy is the one responsible for Richmond picking him up) that is all works out. I suspect that, football apart, Cousins doesn't have much going for him (a la Gary Ablett).
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #49
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Arh so what? we are talking about a football player not a saint, I don't care what he does in his own time he could snort camel sh#t and inject hookers spit for all i care.

He has never done anything on the football ground to disgrace the game unlike Barry Hall, Plugger (decking people)

Why do we put these guys up on pedistall and expect them to act like little angels?
When i was playing footy the best players were the local thugs.
We don't drug test lawyers, politicians, accountants, most engineers and these are the people who can affect our lives in a real way.
Like most people he has a job, a job that pays well and gains respect and admiration from the local community. Apart of his job he is expected not to take drugs and provide samples to prove he is "el natural".

I have a mundane job, I have little to no respect from the community. Yet I still get drug tested more often then our top athletes. If I was to disappear for a drug test, I'd be sacked.

I don't expect them to be little angels but I don't want to go watch cheats play football. If they are going to cheat their own clubs whats stopping them from cheating with performance enhancing drugs.

As for thugs. I'd rather see claret than some dope fiend with his eyeballs hanging out of his skull.

Why did Chris Judd leave West Coast. Because its hard to soar like an eagle when your surronded by turkey's
Old 17-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #50
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Personnaly, I don't think anyone should be fired for testing positive once. Just as I don't think your life should be ruined for one victimless mistake. That wasn't my point

My point wasn't how many times he tested positive to drugs. It was how many times did he break the clubs code of conduct? How many warnings for off field behaviour, that put the clubs and the codes name into disrepute, did he receive.

He is contracted to more than just play football.
Old 17-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #51
rosco426
Charger Lovin'

I havent read everything, so if its been covered, I apologise.

But simply put, if players taking recreational drugs were banned for life, there would be no AFL. A good portion of players have taken and continue to take drugs. Franklin and Crawford (he doesnt have to worry anymore) are both on 2 warnings for positive tests.

This has been happening for a long time, since the days of ablett and before. I know amny people who have seen players like Schwartz powdering their nose in the toilets etc.

Sad fact is, drugs are everywhere today, not just in sport. I'm 21 and can safely say I have personally seen many people use drugs when out.

If people are so worried about the image it sends out to kids, wait till your kids are 18 and even younger. Get ready for a reality check.
rosco426 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #52
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco426

But simply put, if players taking recreational drugs were banned for life, there would be no AFL. A good portion of players have taken and continue to take drugs. Franklin and Crawford (he doesnt have to worry anymore) are both on 2 warnings for positive tests.

This has been happening for a long time, since the days of ablett and before. I know amny people who have seen players like Schwartz powdering their nose in the toilets etc.

Sad fact is, drugs are everywhere today, not just in sport. I'm 21 and can safely say I have personally seen many people use drugs when out.

If people are so worried about the image it sends out to kids, wait till your kids are 18 and even younger. Get ready for a reality check.
I agree that drug use is very very common. But don't ever ask me to condone it. The real reality check is when a user realises they don't get to decide when it effects thier employment or other freedoms, society will do that for them.
Old 17-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #53
Rob
Living the dream

Whether he tested positive or not is irrelevant, the precedent has been set.

Trouble with the law is LESS important than sporting ability.

Obviously this is a pretty extreme view, but society these days is capable of extreme things.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #54
rosco426
Charger Lovin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
I agree that drug use is very very common. But don't ever ask me to condone it. The real reality check is when a user realises they don't get to decide when it effects thier employment or other freedoms, society will do that for them.

I also don't condone it, being one of few youngesters to have never sniffed, smoked or popped anything, but people need to accept and realise how common drugs really are (not saying you personally).

Why should it affect his employment? For so long we are saying footballers are the same as other people and should not be judged as somebody special, and know you want society to decide his future?

So your saying, going to work after going out on the hung over more than 2 times during your employment and your out? Drinking is no different to drugs in the way it effects the human body. The difference is that one is illegal.
Old 17-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #55
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't care what he does in his own time he could snort camel sh#t and inject hookers spit for all i care.

Then i guess you don't have a problem with Bikie gangs, Street gangs, Illegal firearms and organized crime either all things that drug addicts help support and people that Ben is know to hang out with!!

Me i don't give a rat's about sports stars and the like, why people find these peoples life's so interesting is beyond me. I know many people who take recreational Drugs , that's there option my position is simple if something goes wrong ya on ya own.

I opt not to take drugs 1. I know a few people and one family member who just about destroyed there life's with the chit.
2. If i test positive i loose my Job and the nice paycheck and lifestyle it brings with it.

Hopefully Ben can make a win of this away from Perth but i doubt it!
Old 17-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #56
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco426

How do you know that Franklin and Crawford are on two warnings? That is huge news, or am I behind the times a little bit?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #57
axeray

I'm stoked he got his second chance and he'll be a great asset to the Tigers.
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #58
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
How do you know that Franklin and Crawford are on two warnings? That is huge news, or am I behind the times a little bit?

Un-named players have warnings. Unoffically its Franklin and Crawford.
Old 17-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #59
rosco426
Charger Lovin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Franklin should come as no suprise. The media knows about many things, but they just dont go to air with it. Like why Geelong did so well at the start of '06 then dropped off suddenly for no reason.
Old 17-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #60
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Heard my first cousins/richmond joke, not long after I heard the news of him being drafted.

What does a Tasmanian virgin and the Richmond football club have in common

>>> They're both going to get [Word that the swear filter will delete] by cousins!

Kinda crude, but i still had a laugh
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post