Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #31
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I think the fact that many drivers ignore (or gain exemption for) the power restrictions is an enforcement issue, not so much "failure" of the rule itself..
How is not a failure of the rule if the rule itself allows for exemptions to the rule.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #32
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
They Should Just Ban Teenagers from Driving :

Really though Reading through the Comments in this Thread it is so Obvious who the Younger Drivers are as it is Oh why us we are Better than Oldies anyway!

I could go on Further however is a Fact Young people 25 & Under do Drive way too fast & do Listen to Music up way too Loud & yes I did it when I was young Because I was Young & did not know any Better

I think this Device is a Great Idea & I would Fit one for the Times my soon to be 18 year Old takes my Car for a Drive Coz you just know he would flog it a bit here & there (I would Have when Young).

I could just set my Flash Tune to Valet I Guess

So Yeah Young People we have done it all Before & our Fathers or Mothers before us & you Cannot Coz we Do know better than You! :

Have a Guess why we want to slow you down or Make Life Safer for you?

Coz we as Your Parents Love You & Care about your Life even if you Do Not!

So Whine all you want Coz we are in Charge & your Not
You Obviously Didnt Read My Post. I Am A P Plater And Said I Was For It coz Yeah.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
You Obviously Didnt Read My Post. I Am A P Plater And Said I Was For It coz Yeah.
you must have a guilty conscience as i didn't read your name anywhere in the post you quoted and yet you felt it was directed at you.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
How is not a failure of the rule if the rule itself allows for exemptions to the rule.
The failure in my eyes is the enforcement of the "rule", not the rule itself...
You make a good point though, it needs to be policed more and enforced without loop holes....

Old 15-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #35
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
you must have a guilty conscience as i didn't read your name anywhere in the post you quoted and yet you felt it was directed at you.
My name wasn't, but my status and age group was. :

Old 15-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #36
prydey
Rob

help yourself to a large serving of concrete
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #37
Gramz
Starter Motor

just put the mykeys in the cop cars
Old 15-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #38
Marduk
BFII XR6

What ever happened to trusting your kids?
I'm 18 and I don't speed.
Limit the speed of the car is ridiculous sometimes you need to go over the speed limit. If it is such a great idea why not make the thing for all drivers not just P platers. A lot of people around here seem to think as soon as the p plates come off you automatically stop speeding. If p platers don't need to exceed the speed limit AT ALL then fully licensed driver shouldn't as well.
Old 15-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #39
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

A parent can install this and use it as their only safe gaurd, but the child can still go off and do stupid stuff. But, its a good step in the puplics eye....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ahaha. Acceleration is different to limiting speed. I've driven in the country plenty of times. If you are stuck behind someone, what do you (well maybe not YOU) do? You wait until its safe to overtake. So, if you are limited to 130km/h and you are in the NT for example then this truck your talking about must be doing slower than 130km/h for you to be able to catch up to them let alone overtake. If they are going slower, then you've got enough to overtake, don't you?
Ok, so you have admitted that you are a P plater and therefore have very little real world driving experience in any conditions which explains your absolutely naive comments.
You will get wiser as you get older and realise just how silly what you have said was.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #41
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

But buy law, he was correct, under the law you're not ment to ecceed the speed limit whilst overtaking, but in real situations it can be different.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #42
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Well Im mid 30's, never an at fault accident, always driven minimum 351 V8s from buying my first car (turbo now) so I guess that means I should be for it by that logic??

The point Im getting at though is its very easy once a system is in place to step it up a level.
Then we will all end up wearing this, not our 'dumb kids who dont know any better' !!

On the bright side, when this starts to happen in 5 years time we can safely say the value of older classics will go up again
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how do you give a driver maturity and road sence? i don`t know, at least 2/3 times a week i hear ratbags in the very narrow next street (50k zone) close to flat out in 2nd, we have booze buses on a regular basis on the main road 200 yards away but no police presence in the back streets ever unless there`s a murder or something, i like the idea of of limiting dads car for the youngster , i just don`t know if once the youngster gets his or her own car after having a daddy`s governed car would now entice them to find the limits of the new unrestricted car.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #44
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The point Im getting at though is its very easy once a system is in place to step it up a level.

100% agree every time I see something like this technolagy i think that it will come back and bite every-one else

Quote:
What? Most of those comments are irrelevant. They aren't even similar to speed restriction.

I understand the choice aspect which you are trying explain, but if Australia is limited to 130km/h then why have cars that can go faster?

Ahaha. Acceleration is different to limiting speed. I've driven in the country plenty of times. If you are stuck behind someone, what do you (well maybe not YOU) do? You wait until its safe to overtake. So, if you are limited to 130km/h and you are in the NT for example then this truck your talking about must be doing slower than 130km/h for you to be able to catch up to them let alone overtake. If they are going slower, then you've got enough to overtake, don't you?

You're probably right. I'm not as hardcore as you... Boohoo.

Some of you are just thinking of yourselves as opposed to the majority of society. I'm sure some of you are safe drivers but you've got to remember, some aren't. How many people are on drugs or boozing it up behind the wheel? I'd rather not be involved in a street race where I or another innocent person ends up dead because they are 'thrilled' to be racing at 170km/h or whatever.

gotta say iv been in a situation where i went to overtake a truck and a they purposely speed up (being a smart ***) as i was just coming up the B double trailer(think that's what there called) there was a rise in the road a car come over it now this is were you need to take one of those split second decisions REALY jam the brakes on or floor the thing if i had braked there would have been a realy big smash up as another car had pulled out behind me but was further back so he just pulled back when he sore what was going on i pursued ahead with just under a comfortable distance spared as i pulled in

(not trying to offend you) but I will agree with FLAPPIST your a city boy
sometimes these situations chose you, even if most times you chose them

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #45
kocho
The Futuriser

Fair enough jakkes, flappist and everyone else whos against me. Not here to start a fight by any means but I'm sick of hoons (P platers or not) deciding to race down suburban streets. Guess it works both ways.

Stay safe. ;)

Old 16-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #46
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why do we need road cars that go over 130km/h anyway?
Number one reason for this - for when carrying/towing loads the vehicle can travel at the speed limit ie 60/100.

If I was a parent I definatly would want limiters in my car. I think we all know what kids get up to in their parents cars. when I was on my P's some 13yrs ago I was thinking of designing a limiter for my friends parents cars haha.

but remember limiters can come in handy for when you take your car to the mechanics.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #47
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Spoken like a true city boy. Well apart from the 130 limit in NT there are many many occaisions when a short burst of speed is needed to avoid a dangerous situation in rural and regional areas.

e.g. You are overtaking a truck or line of trucks with the sun behind you and a vehicle pops over the hill in the distance coming toward you.

Do you immediately brake causing chaos behind you for anyone following and scaing the hell out of the trucks who have no idea what you are about to do.
OR
Do you just sit on 100 and hope and pray that you do not have a head on killing several people because it is better to be dead than to speed.
OR
Do you never overtake so that you along with several other idiots cause such an inconvenience and chaos to normal road users that there ends up being a multi car pileup with many many dead.
OR
Do you put your foot down and get past the trucks and then slow back to the limit?
I travel country highways on a regular basis, if you need to do over 130 to safely overtake a truck then your trying too hard my friend... Laws are laws and while i doubt any of us stick to 100 exceeding 130 is overkill as you are not giving yourself enough space...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 12:29 AM   #48
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Ok, so you have admitted that you are a P plater and therefore have very little real world driving experience in any conditions which explains your absolutely naive comments.
You will get wiser as you get older and realise just how silly what you have said was.

And your point is?? Your a serial speed breaker who seems to think hes above the law? You can deny it but from reading your posts over the last 4 years it seems to me that you think driving on a country highway is an excuse to drive like a moron!

Truely my friend your the silly one...

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 16-12-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 16-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #49
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep and if the speed limit is 100 and you go faster to over take a vehicle...your speeding.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #50
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkes

100% agree every time I see something like this technolagy i think that it will come back and bite every-one else

gotta say iv been in a situation where i went to overtake a truck and a they purposely speed up (being a smart ***) as i was just coming up the B double trailer(think that's what there called) there was a rise in the road a car come over it now this is were you need to take one of those split second decisions REALY jam the brakes on or floor the thing if i had braked there would have been a realy big smash up as another car had pulled out behind me but was further back so he just pulled back when he sore what was going on i pursued ahead with just under a comfortable distance spared as i pulled in

(not trying to offend you) but I will agree with FLAPPIST your a city boy
sometimes these situations chose you, even if most times you chose them
yet again.. 95% of the trucks on our roads today are speed limited to 100.. while some transport companies think it is okay to wind them out to 110 you would be pushing to get much more out of most of them without over reving with the way they are configured.. Therefore that still gives you a 20 km an hour margin to over take... Unless its a B tripple or a Road train then i cant see the issue with being able to safely overtake at 130 kms an hour (which is still illegal regardless of how you look at it), providing you have enough distance and you are doing it in a legal area (that is not double lines).

P.s Overtaking a truck down a hill is a dumb idea, we see it happen all the time, truck goes over hill, gains speed at rapid rate, dipshit in car who thinks hes as tough as nails goes out into god speed, trucks got 90 tonne pushing it down, ofcourse its going to go with him!

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 16-12-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 16-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #51
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it is a great idea, and should be compulsory on all cars.

Ford (through Volvo) have been playing with this idea for some time.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #52
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

How's it nanna state when it's controlled by the parents? If the state had their hands on the controls, then you'd have a point.

I think it's a great idea. I'd have one installed in my car if my kids were given the keys.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #53
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I see this as a good idea, it gives parents the ability to limit the speed the car their child is driving, giving them some peace of mind.
Like it or not a lot fatalities on the road are made up of drivers aged between 18 and 25 (28% in 2007, while these drivers only account for 14% of drivers on the road). Now not all of these are speed related but a lot are.

This device devised by Ford is NOT a government initiative but an option for the purchaser of the vehicle from Ford. I imagine most people taking this option will be parents who are either purchasing their child's first car or sharing a car with them. In this case the parents(s) would know of the dangers when driving (distractions, speed, other drivers, etc), if they can reduce the chance of one of those dangers from occurring I'd imagine that is a good thing. This device is a positive step in the direction for parents to take responsibility for their child, too many these days love to blame someone else for their problems.

Would I have something like this in my child's car? Probably a good chance I would.
Just for the record (and to settle the self proclaimed elitists on this board who seem to think they're driving gods and are above all laws) I am a car enthusiast, I love a bit of spirited driving but there is a time and a place for that. Driving is dangerous at any stage, having a moron driving at double the speed limit only increases that danger.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #54
axeray

If it saves lives it's a good thing
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #55
BlackLS
yum

Keep in mind in some states in the US kids can start driving unaccompanied when they are 14. Not a bad thing, but I think a driving course being sold with the car would be a better idea.

So long as its parents and not the government controlling the speed of the car then I'm somewhat for it. I just hope I don't have an emergency and my kid missed out on my last words because I speed limited the car to 80kmh.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #56
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
And your point is?? Your a serial speed breaker who seems to think hes above the law? You can deny it but from reading your posts over the last 4 years it seems to me that you think driving on a country highway is an excuse to drive like a moron!

Truely my friend your the silly one...
And based on your post history you are a holier than thou wowser keyboard warrior. You talk the talk but do you walk the walk?

You have a new Pursuit with a 250km/h limiter, have you lowered it to 110, the maximum limit in your state? Or 130 even, the max limit in Australia?

I suspect not. Why not? It is easy to do and causes no damage whatsoever. If you truly believe what you are saying will make you and the rest or the road users in Australia safer then why not?

I do what I say and say what I do. Do the same and you may gain some credibility.

Or to state it more simply PUT UP OR SHUT UP...........
Old 16-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #57
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m still finding it hard to understand how limiting speed can save lives. Why can’t we just limit stupid people?

It seems like a good idea but lets look at it another way. So you speed limit your car to 110k. He/she can still kill themselves and others.
Limit the car to 90? 80? 70 even? They can still die at even these speeds if being stupid. What are the practical applications for this?

We keep kidding ourselves that we will bring road toll to zero. That is practically impossible as anything we do has risk. We might drive safely but the other guy might not be.

We all know that when we are young 16-23 (yes we ALL have done it before, no matter what anyone says), we will push ANYTHING we are driving to its outermost limits when we think no one is watching or we think we can get away with it.

With training and experience comes logical and safe driving

Wouldn’t limiting acceleration be more practical?
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #58
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
I’m still finding it hard to understand how limiting speed can save lives. Why can’t we just limit stupid people?

It seems like a good idea but lets look at it another way. So you speed limit your car to 110k. He/she can still kill themselves and others.
Limit the car to 90? 80? 70 even? They can still die at even these speeds if being stupid. What are the practical applications for this?

We keep kidding ourselves that we will bring road toll to zero. That is practically impossible as anything we do has risk. We might drive safely but the other guy might not be.

We all know that when we are young 16-23 (yes we ALL have done it before, no matter what anyone says), we will push ANYTHING we are driving to its outermost limits when we think no one is watching or we think we can get away with it.

Think about it, if you're doing 100km/h in a 60 zone are your reaction times going to be as good as they would have been if you were doing 60km/h or even 70? Could you avoid that person crossing the road or that car pulling out of a side street? What about doing 160km/h on a 100km/h road?

Speed isn't the big killer but if you have inexperienced idiots doing stupid speeds in conditions that simply don't warrant that speed then issues will occur.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #59
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Think about it, if you're doing 100km/h in a 60 zone are your reaction times going to be as good as they would have been if you were doing 60km/h or even 70? Could you avoid that person crossing the road or that car pulling out of a side street? What about doing 160km/h on a 100km/h road?

Speed isn't the big killer but if you have inexperienced idiots doing stupid speeds in conditions that simply don't warrant that speed then issues will occur.
And THIS is the exact problem. There is no maximum or minimum safe speed for ANY place in EVERY condition. 20km/h is extremely dangerous in a white out fog or snow storm.

Judgement by the driver is always needed, it it were not then all of our trains, busses, aircraft, taxis etc would all be computer operated and not need an operator. The fact that they don't in a world run by accountants is evidence enough.
Old 16-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #60
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s

unfortunately we cannot limit stupid people. if so, probably all of us would fall into that criteria at some stage. also it would be politically incorrect. they should teach everyone how to drive, before issuing a license and enforce some simple rules, but even that is too hard

limiting acceleration would do more damage than good. as flappist has suggested already, sometimes you need acceleration to get out of a potentially danagerous situation. if you 3/4 of the way past a semi trailer and suddenly noticed a car coming the other way - accelerating quickly may get you out of it. if something is to be limited, top speed should be. however as flappist has suggested, to pass someone on the open highway, it is easy to reach 120-130 kph for a few seconds to safely pass

alot of people cannot see the need for performance cars. the fact is, they accelerate, handle, change direction and brake much better than non performance cars. therefore, if you are driving at a speed that is safe for the conditions, if something unexpected happens a performance car will have much greater margins in store than a normal car. of course those margins are only margins if the driver is sensible and below theirs and the cars limit. if those margins are used correctly, they may save a life or more
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post