Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2022, 11:28 AM   #31
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Motor to cease publication in June after 68 years.

Quote:
Bill Tuckey (and Romsey Quints) are sadly missed.
As is Peter Robinson.

It's seems a world wide phenomena. Road & Track that I used to have a subscription to is essentially dead. No way was I paying the US$1,000 they suddenly wanted for a quarterly glossy picture book edition.

That initial idea seemingly changed per: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_%26_Track
Quote:
In August 2020, the magazine transitioned to bi-monthly publishing and dropped the use of the full “Road & Track” title. In addition to the title change, the magazine design was relaunched in a minimalist style, and offered new subscription packages ranging from $75 per year to almost $1000.[8] Prior to the relaunch, several key contributors left or were let go.
...and seems constantly changing per https://join.roadandtrack.com/pubs/H...ng_code=footer but they lost me as did Wheels and Motor when they became more photo glossy pictorials. It seems the publishers assume people want to just look at glossy photos rather than actually read these days. They may be right from my observation of my own kids, but that is also easier and better to do on the Internet rather than by buying a magazine.

I no longer have any Car Magazine subscriptions (Unique Cars has also gone from my mailbox ) except for "Hot Rod" (and that will go once the four year subscription I somehow now have expires; probbaly due credits from subscription from other mags that have folded) and I have moved on to watching more You Tube Channels such as South Main Auto, Auto Expert-John Cadogen, Harry's Garage and Tyrells' Classic Workshop. Sometimes even Hoovies Garage and Scotty Kilmer. The only magazine subscription I have now is for Silicon Chip. I actually mainly just listen to the audio on these You Tube channels while do other things on the computer and only switching to look if they are talking about something I want to look at.

I also used to subscribe to both Car Craft and Hot Rod (originally Peterson Publications) but Car Craft died with my last subscription (ceased publication coincidentally after the last issue arrived) and I won't be renewing the Hot Rod one. I think the best Australian Car Magazine was the very short lived "Autofix" (I suspect it died as it was probably eating into the sales of Gregory's Workshop Manuals from the same publisher). Sports Car World was my next favourite but that also vanished decades ago.

Last edited by aussiblue; 05-05-2022 at 11:40 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #32
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
As is Peter Robinson.

It's seems a world wide phenomena. Road & Track that I used to have a subscription to is essentially dead. No way was I paying the US$1,000 they suddenly wanted for a quartely picture book edition'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_%26_Track That initial idea seemingly changed per:

...and seems constantly changing per https://join.roadandtrack.com/pubs/H...ng_code=footer but they lost me as did Wheels and Motor when they became more photo glossy pictorials. It seems the assume people want to look at photos rather than read these days. They may be right from my observation of my own kids but that easier to do on the Internet rather than buying a magazine.

I no longer have any Car Magazine subscriptions (Unique Cars has also gone from my mailbox ) and I have moved on to watching more You Tube Channels such as Sooth Main Auto, Auto Expert-John Cadogen, Harry's Garage and Tyrells' Classic Workshop. Sometimes even Hoovies Garage and Scotty Kilmer. The only magazine subscription I have now is for Silicon Chip.

I also used to subscribe to both Car Craft and Hot Rod (originally Peterson Publications) but Car Craft died with my last subscription (ceased publication coincidentally after the last issue arrived) and I won't be renewing the Hot Rod one. I think the best Australian Car Magazine was the very short lived "Autofix" (I suspect it died as it was probably eating into the sales of Gregory's Workshop Manuals from the same publisher).
I'd suggest adding The Late Brake Show to your YT list.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #33
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG GeeTee View Post
Think they lost a big volume of readers when Ford and Holden shut. I hung on but now prefer Unique Cars and online media.
And just after that a 300HP Camry was released. suddenly white goods on wheels were setting the bar.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2022, 11:49 AM   #34
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I'd suggest adding The Late Brake Show to your YT list.
I watch it occasionally already. There are others too like Hub Nut and Number 27 , I even watch Steph's IDRIVEACLASSIC fairly regularly.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:06 PM   #35
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Wish they'd cancelled all motor mags 40 years ago. Mid 1980's guy next door was moving, chucked this box of car magazines at me (might be wrong but Wheels, Modern Motor and Car Australia), Street Machine. No interest to that point. Read them all cover to cover, now i've spent a lifetime being broke. Bastard. But seriously, online or off, don't ready much stuff now 'our' cars aren't in there. Red vs Blue. Holden vs Ford. Slow painful death of our cars dwindling away....barely bought one since. Last ones, like some others above, Ford and Holden shutdown editions. Then...crickets. Don't care no more. The passion is dead for print.

Too many mega dollar cars and EV's dominating the print now. Can't afford it? Don't care. Probably $2 value in each mag to me.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2022, 03:13 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil View Post
They will probably move it over to wheels magazine or one of the other ones
This is correct. Read somewhere in their statement that they will offer subscribers a move over to one of the other titles.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2022, 03:52 PM   #37
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EVs don't inspire the passion any Falcon GT or FPV or high performance Ford world wide generated in spite of their blistering performance. There's only so many pics you can take of an electric motor and the shell in which it sits, as many say it's just whitegoods on wheels, functional yes , inspirational no.
The loss of local manufacturing, the plethora of good car shows on various platforms will mean Motor wont be the last magazine to drive off into the sunset, which is sad in so many ways.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2022, 07:48 PM   #38
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven’t had a mag subscription for 20years. Why would you when the internet has all the info the second it is released, instead of waiting for a publication date.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 05-05-2022, 08:13 PM   #39
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
I haven’t had a mag subscription for 20years. Why would you when the internet has all the info the second it is released, instead of waiting for a publication date.
I know this is a cliched response, but there is/was a certain tactile appeal in flipping the pages of a well crafted magazine.

I got to the point where I stopped reading the reviews as cars are just a variation of the same thing now. I actually liked reading the behind the scenes stuff, industry interviews and opinion pieces more than the actual cars themselves.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2022, 11:18 PM   #40
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do remember they had a red-hot run with the Falcon turbos in BFYB back in the mid 2000s. Twas good reading.

Same as many above, no domestic industry or muscle, no need to buy car mags. I've kept a few wheels, like when BA and SX won COTY.

Looked through the VFACTS thread and there's still not one in the top 10 that would motivate me to drop heart-driven spoondoolies on.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:42 PM   #41
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Received the last issue today -

Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 07:13 AM   #42
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Received the last issue today -

Curious isnt it, they will sell heaps of them.

BUT...there it freakin is, who of all the companies is on the front cover with Lambo and Porsche....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #43
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ The thing is, they probably never even gave it a second thought.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I was really hoping they'd do a 20 year edition of this this year
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...s-barra-engine
Old 07-07-2022, 11:54 AM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Curious isnt it, they will sell heaps of them.

BUT...there it freakin is, who of all the companies is on the front cover with Lambo and Porsche....
Are you surprised in any way?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #46
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know we're a little biased however I think a GTHO Phase 3 at least should have been there...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 04:09 PM   #47
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering Motors sales peaked in 2003 I’d have thought they’d feature some models from that era which would resonate with readers who’ve since lost interest. For a nostalgic effect. A BA GT or F6 probably deserves a place on the cover. Maybe an E46 M3, Evo 6 TME, VT GTS etc. as well.
Its probably fair to say by the time of VF HSVs people had lost interest.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #48
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Are you surprised in any way?
No, unfortunately not, but thats a slap in the face. Why even have a Lambo and Porsche on a local car mag...man this is why people get frustrated, who makes these decisions. It should have been something neutral or both etc..

At least they are consistent.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
4 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 05:33 PM   #49
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, unfortunately not, but thats a slap in the face. Why even have a Lambo and Porsche on a local car mag...man this is why people get frustrated, who makes these decisions. It should have been something neutral or both etc..

Once read a book publisher state, "put a dinosaur picture" on a front cover of a book and it will sell more, obviously Motor still thinks put a Holden on the front cover and it will sell more, especially to all their previous buyers now driving MG's, Havals et al.

Yes I'm stirring the pot but this a Ford forum after all.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2022, 06:16 PM   #50
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:

Kind of thinking that is was exactly that, a slap in the face from Motor to all it's remaining readers. That is, "screw you, we will do as we see fit and we don't care what you think, the magazine is all about us (scumbag journos and motor vehicle manufacturers)".

Motor magazine won't be missed.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2022, 08:41 PM   #51
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
Kind of thinking that is was exactly that, a slap in the face from Motor to all it's remaining readers. That is, "screw you, we will do as we see fit and we don't care what you think, the magazine is all about us (scumbag journos and motor vehicle manufacturers)".

Motor magazine won't be missed.
Yeap, they can F right off to centrelink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Once read a book publisher state, "put a dinosaur picture" on a front cover of a book and it will sell more, obviously Motor still thinks put a Holden on the front cover and it will sell more, especially to all their previous buyers now driving MG's, Havals et al.

Yes I'm stirring the pot but this a Ford forum after all.
Get where you are going with it, they are in the business to make money, but that hardly matters with the last edition.

F it I wont buy it, and they wont care. But Ive still got a job.

Kents.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-07-2022, 10:06 PM   #52
Swordie

They should merge Motor and Wheels mags. I have been buying both for many years. I prefer the hard copy. It doesn't cost that much to buy those mags.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #53
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

They should have paid historical homage to those readers that paid their bills all those years....and they weren't the Lambo and Porsche buyers. If there had of been a humpy and a XK on the front i'd have dashed down and bought it. GT and Monaro, VB and XD, VE and FG, whatever (i know some of those pairings are bit loose just making a point). The actual cover? Might buy it anyway in case we run out of Quilton. Nah, rather buy some Meggys pads or a few cans of brake cleaner.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2022, 11:46 AM   #54
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
They should have paid historical homage to those readers that paid their bills all those years....and they weren't the Lambo and Porsche buyers. If there had of been a humpy and a XK on the front i'd have dashed down and bought it. GT and Monaro, VB and XD, VE and FG, whatever (i know some of those pairings are bit loose just making a point). The actual cover? Might buy it anyway in case we run out of Quilton. Nah, rather buy some Meggys pads or a few cans of brake cleaner.
Exactly, or how about something to all the other cars that were produced locally...pretty much anything other than an old lambo and Porsche....
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-07-2022, 05:57 PM   #55
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I only noticed this today, I guess that shows how little I anticipate or enjoy magazines these days, but Ford had the "final" say on the back cover -

90% of the final issue was reprints of stories published over the last 6 decades. The final 10% a few retrospectives. I guess the staff had all been fired before this issue was in the making.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #56
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Nonsense, they are now joining in with Wheels, indeed they are taking over some of the key positions. Its clearly stated in their releases.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2022, 07:02 PM   #57
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Grabbed a copy today. First (and obviously last) time I've ever bought MOTOR. I have some old 1970s editions with Falcon GT reviews I bought at swap meets.

It was a pretty average effort for the final edition. Nothing that took my interest other than the 2005 round Australia reprise. All Porsche, Ferrari, Nissan, etc. Whoop-di-do...
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2022, 07:17 PM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Unhappy Re: Motor to cease publication in June after 68 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Grabbed a copy today. First (and obviously last) time I've ever bought MOTOR. I have some old 1970s editions with Falcon GT reviews I bought at swap meets.

It was a pretty average effort for the final edition. Nothing that took my interest other than the 2005 round Australia reprise. All Porsche, Ferrari, Nissan, etc. Whoop-di-do...
There's a reason why everyone stopped buying car magazines, so I'm surprised you thought it would be worth buying

Automotive journalists are an absolute joke in this country, even worse than normal journalists
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2022, 08:32 PM   #59
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post

Probably why my local newsagency didn't even bother in getting any copies. None available. Why am I not surprised.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2022, 08:45 PM   #60
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
There's a reason why everyone stopped buying car magazines, so I'm surprised you thought it would be worth buying

Automotive journalists are an absolute joke in this country, even worse than normal journalists
Some were better than others. I generally enjoyed the work of Nathan Ponchard, Jesse Taylor, John Wright, Bill Tuckey, Peter Robinson and Paul Cockburn. David Morely was also good for a while before he became like a broken record.

The bad ones mostly just feed off negativity or their own egos include Josh Dowling, John Cadogan, Paul Gover and Paul Maric. This list seem more concerned about boosting their own profiles rather than the car itself.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post: